Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Winter Golf Academies-weekly program feedback?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danzur

danzur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179544
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with a one week golf academy (IMG, Gilchrest, etc) for a +/- teenager.  My son is 13, and has played hockey since he was 6.  He has dabbled with hitting balls over the years, but focused mostly on hockey.  He started playing golf/tournament golf this Spring/Summer.

Goals are to improve his practice routines, short game, strategy, and mental approach.

Swing video for reference:

I did a search and found discussions about the longer programs...looking for feedback on the shorter programs and how effective you found them.

Thanks!

Edited by danzur, 13 November 2012 - 02:29 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Golfer1995

Golfer1995

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133926
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

I don't know if this will help, but I attended HHIJGA (Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy) this summer for two weeks and one week the summer before.  I felt that while my weeks there were great for me, I felt that the instruction I got didn't really "stick."  There was nothing wrong with any of the instruction I was given, but when I got back home it was hard to continue implementing the fairly major swing changes I was given without one of my coaches or someone who fully understood the changes.
I went back to the camp this summer because of the practice, the people and the facilities.  (At home, I am not the member of a golf club and practice at a range facility with horrendous mats, so to go to a camp with grass ranges for two weeks was a dream come true).
The mental aspect for me definitely improved because they did have us see the mental coach once a week.  That's definitely one of the positives of attending one of the weekly programs.  Fitness also helped, although it was only once a week.  I think they should have done it twice a week.
Also, you meet other driven junior golfers, which was a big plus for me.  I learned a lot from the people I did my practice rounds with.  It felt great to play with other girls and boys who were better than me (by a lot) and were shooting these amazing scores because I could watch their course management and get a feel for how to carry myself on the golf course better.
Hope this helped!

#3 danzur

danzur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179544
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Golfer1995-great feedback, I really appreciate it! The positives you mention are exactly what I think would be best.

#4 Golfer1995

Golfer1995

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133926
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Glad I could help!
Just to plug IJGA, they have a play-and-train program this winter where you can go down to the academy and take lessons and use the facility and then partake in one of the IJGT tournaments.  Great idea.
Good luck with your search and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask

http://www.ijga.com/holiday.php

#5 generaljhc

generaljhc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93095
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

If the money is not a hardship, a camp that focuses on mental aspects/pre shot routine, short game and course management/strategy at his age would be helpful.These areas can shave strokes, and having someone besides dad tell him the importance of these areas is always a good thing. For full swing, stick with a local instructor with experience with juniors. In hindsight, I wish I had sent my son to a similar camp.

I cannot recommend a particular camp, but there are plenty out there.  Maybe try to find one deep in Florida so that he can have some nice, warm weather!

Edited by generaljhc, 23 November 2012 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors