Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

2013 TaylorMade RocketBladez Tech Specs & Video

rocketbladez rocketbladez tour taylormade

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zakkozuchowski

zakkozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59676
GolfWRX Likes : 299

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

2013 TaylorMade RocketBladez Tech Specs & Video

By Zak Kozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

The best part of TaylorMade’s RocketBladez irons isn’t the long distances that they fly, according to TaylorMade engineers. It’s the consistent distance that the irons fly on mishits.

TaylorMade has made long-flying irons in the past, one of their most popular being the two-year-old Burner 2.0 irons. But those and other “game-improvement” irons haven't been popular with better players because they tend to cause problems with distance control. Irons such as the Burner 2.0s have what is called a hotspot, a place above the center of the clubface that when struck with clean contact causes shots to fly longer-than-anticipated distances. This is bad because unlike drivers, skilled golfers aren't trying to hit their irons as far as possible. They’re trying to hit them a controlled distance.

Bret Wahl, TaylorMade’s vice president of R&D for irons, said that he and his team have spent the last five years designing irons with a higher coefficient or restitution, or COR. A high COR is achieved by making clubfaces thinner, increasing the spring-like effect and making the ball fly farther. But even though engineers were able to increase speed on shots hit on the center of the clubface, they struggled to add a similar amount of speed to mishits, especially shots hit on the stiff, lower portion of the face that is attached to the leading edge of the club.

The performance of the lower portion of the clubface is important for golfers because according to a TaylorMade study 72 percent of shots are struck below the center of the clubface. That means that almost three-quarters of all golf shots are not hit with optimal speed.

Last year, TaylorMade released its RocketBallz fairway woods and hybrids, the first of the company’s clubs to include its “Speed Pocket,” a slot on the bottom of the sole near the leading edge that increased COR. This added speed and forgiveness to the clubface, especially on shots struck below the center where the Speed Pocket functioned to make the lower portion of the clubface more flexible.

RocketBladez bring Speed Pocket technology to irons, and like the RocketBallz fairway woods and hybrids before them, the company is promising more speed and forgiveness. How much speed and forgiveness a golfer will get, however, depends on which model of RocketBladez irons they choose.

RocketBladez Tour Irons

TaylorMade’s two most popular irons on the PGA Tour are the company's Forged MB and CB models, thick-faced irons that provide slow speeds on center strikes. But even though they lack the speed of distance irons on shots hit on the center of the face, the MBs and CBs are more consistent than other models on slight mishits and have no hotspots.

According to Gary Gallagher, market manager for metal woods for TaylorMade, there was no desire on Tour for substantially longer-flying irons. That’s why instead of giving RocketBladez Tour irons the “full steroid” treatment that designers gave the non-Tour RocketBladez, engineers held back, only adding “a quarter of a steroid" to their ingredient list.

Click here to see the RocketBladez Tour irons Matt Bettencourt put in his bag at the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic.

The RocketBladez Tour irons were designed to mimic the aesthetics of the Forged CBs. They have thin soles, a small amount of offset and similar blade lengths and toplines. But the Speed Pocket in the sole increases the COR to 0.819, adding at least 1 mph of ball speed to center strikes and making the sweetspot of the RocketBladez Tour five times larger than the Forged CBs (note: TaylorMade defines the sweetspot as the area of the clubface where there is less than a 1 mph drop off in speed).

Like the RocketBallz fairway woods and hybrids, the Speed Pocket increases ball speed as well as launch angle, which gives Tour players two options with RocketBladez Tour irons. They can:

• Hit the RocketBladez Tour irons higher and a little further than their current irons (the current average off added distance according to Gallagher is 8 yards).
  • Bend the lofts stronger, giving them an iron that flies as high as their current model but goes substantially further.

The RocketBladez Tour 3 iron through 7 iron are cast from 17-4 stainless steel, which adds the necessary stiffness for construction. To make the irons feel softer, the Speed Pocket is filled with a special polyurethane developed by 3M that still allows the pocket to flex and reduces vibrations. It also limits debris that could enter the pocket.

The Speed Pocket is not used in the 8 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge and “attack wedge,” however, because Gallagher said the speed pocket becomes less active and thus less important as loft is added to the club. Since the short irons are slotless, they can be cast from a softer material, 431 stainless steel. The distance gap between the 7 iron and 8 iron is bridged gradually by varying the different variables of the irons -- mainly loft, face thickness and the depth of the speed pocket throughout the set.

RocketBladez Irons

Click here for more photos of the RocketBladez irons

The RocketBladez (non-Tour) irons lose the wacky geometry of last year’s RBZ irons in favor of a more traditional game-improvement iron shape, resembling the Burner 2.0 irons at address. They have the same COR as the Tours, but they have thicker soles, thicker top lines, more offset and a longer blade profile to support a deeper center of gravity (CG) position. This makes makes them more longer and more forgiving than the Tours and 5 mph faster than the Burner 2.0s, which accounts for double-digit distance gains.

Like the Tours, the RocketBladez employ a slot in the 3 through 7 irons and no slot on the 8 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge and A-wedge. They are also available in a 55-degree sand wedge and 60-degree lob wedge that use TaylorMade's ATV sole grind. Take a look at the specs below for more information.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 +Church

+Church

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147683
  • Ebay ID:church717
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Awesome video and information!

#3 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1261

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Great info Zak!!!  Did they give a reason why the tour irons are not being released at the same time as the regular version?

#4 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

So I got that going for me, which is nice

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182718
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 543

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 12 November 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Great info Zak!!!  Did they give a reason why the tour irons are not being released at the same time as the regular version?

because they know we have no patience and will buy the regular rocketbladez to try them and then just sell them later to try the tours

i mean im not going to do that or anything.....

wait, yes i will
Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* Oban White
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* 2 Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade 4-6 CB & 7-PW MC CT Lite
Taylormade Tour Preferred 54* 60* ATV
Taylormade Spider Mallet

#5 Zach Heusser

Zach Heusser

#insideTMAG

• Marshals
  • 3,926 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77
  • Handicap:pro

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Zak, Great story and video!  I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed our meeting with Bret Whal.  The guy is super smart!  I could have talked shop with him all day...

Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course
Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2014
Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012
Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University
My WITB

http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/

#6 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • 21,807 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostCaesar Palache, on 12 November 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

because they know we have no patience and will buy the regular rocketbladez to try them and then just sell them later to try the tours

i mean im not going to do that or anything.....

wait, yes i will

Lol, a true club ho.  Love it!!!

#7 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4664

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for posting this information.
Hey...be nice.

#8 zakkozuchowski

zakkozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59676
GolfWRX Likes : 299

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

The cosmetic details of the RocketBladez Tour irons were still being finalized the week of Nov. 5, which is the likely reason for the later release date.

It was a lot easier for TaylorMade engineers to design the non-Tour irons, because their single goal was to make an iron that was as long and as forgiving as possible. The RocketBladez Tour was a tougher project, because they were trying to meet the wants and needs of Tour players. And we know how picky those guy are ;)

#9 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • 21,807 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

View Postzakkozuchowski, on 13 November 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

The cosmetic details of the RocketBladez Tour irons were still being finalized the week of Nov. 5, which is the likely reason for the later release date.

It was a lot easier for TaylorMade engineers to design the non-Tour irons, because their single goal was to make an iron that was as long and as forgiving as possible. The RocketBladez Tour was a tougher project, because they were trying to meet the wants and needs of Tour players. And we know how picky those guy are ;)

Thanks Zak!

#10 HipCheck

HipCheck

#TechnologyAndStuffing

• Marshals
  • 5,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1164

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Great info Zak. I smell non-tour 4 & 5 iron (they're ridiculously long), and 6-PW Tour.  Now to pick a shaft....

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Jaenuwine

Jaenuwine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151369
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostHipCheck, on 13 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Great info Zak. I smell non-tour 4 & 5 iron (they're ridiculously long), and 6-PW Tour.  Now to pick a shaft....
Right there with you.
Can someone please let me know the distance numbers comparing R11 to Rocketbladez Tour?

#12 Etb1987

Etb1987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165839
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Great video.  Bret really knows his stuff.   I was just wondering, and I may have missed this, but did he say why they went with a filled slot instead of leaving it empty like the fairway woods?  It seems like an empty slot would create even more distance by allowing the face to be more flexible.

#13 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

So I got that going for me, which is nice

• 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182718
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 543

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

[attachment=1419789:image.png]

My shops demo set of Rocketbladez shipped early and will be at the shop Monday. Needless to say no work will get done that day as I will be taking these for a test drive.  Good thing Monday is the slowest day here at the course.

I'll let you know what I think and take some more pictures. I've got 4-AW coming in. It has the stock shaft in it so it won't be a perfect fit but I'm sure I'll get some good numbers.
Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* Oban White
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* 2 Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade 4-6 CB & 7-PW MC CT Lite
Taylormade Tour Preferred 54* 60* ATV
Taylormade Spider Mallet

#14 ufgatrs82

ufgatrs82

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47338
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I gotta say when the tours get here they may kick the AP2s out the bag.

#15 Bogeyman56

Bogeyman56

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120185
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

I'm liking the looks of the wedges, almost went with 2012 atv wedges, but went with my pga pro components.  Hoping gs or tgw will have customization soon, may pick me up a 60* rocketbladez wedge, if they offer it.

Also tagged with rocketbladez, rocketbladez tour, taylormade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors