Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

DTL 4 wood - over the top?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StevenF

StevenF

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126286
  • Ebay ID:sfilak
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

This is my last warmup ball before my round Saturday.  I try to do a "slicefixer" type swing I guess and try to pivot around my left foot as much as possible.  I think I come over the top a little bit and I catch the ball fat sometimes.   I don't have a video from the side I just took this real quick to figure out what I was doing wrong because my shots were leaking off to the right.  Thanks for any constructive feedback.

D: King Cobra 460SZ 9*
FW: Ping G15 4w
H: Ping G10 21*
I: Ping Eye 2's 4-PW
W: G15 U, Eye2 SW, Hogan Apex 60
P: old Ping Anser 2 w/ Superstroke 1.0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 StevenF

StevenF

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

no input?  I know the video isn't the best.  I noticed I overswing a little at the top and I believe I read somewhere that can cause an over the top move which is probably why  I occasionally slice the ball.   I never even realized I swung the club that far past parallel.

#3 rickbgolfer

rickbgolfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107728
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

1. Hands are real close to body.. If you were hitting a wedge, you would be fine. Try a hands width away.
2. Your lower body is not turning properly on the downswing.. Right leg needs to drive more into the left side.. not outwards. and falling over towards the ball.

i just think if you make some room in your golf swing.. by adjusting your hands and body relationship better.. You could easily get the right elbow more in the slot.. along with the lower body working correctly.

Right now.. your right arm or elbow has no room to move on the downswing because of the lower body movement and hand position at setup..

#4 blueshabit

blueshabit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19838
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

If you're aiming down your shoulder line with a closed stance, the clubhead is not coming from outside.  If you're aiming down your foot line, then yeah.

It looks like the face is open a little and it's starting right and it doesn't look like your enough in to out to make it draw, but that's a guess.  If it's starting right and cutting leave your path alone and try making the closing of the clubface a little higher priority in the beginning of the d/s.

You could do some work on your posture and hip turn and go much more up and back with your lead shoulder and upgrade some other things. But you can play pretty good golf with that, there are a lot of good things in that swing (as much of it as I can see with no transition to look at).

I only answered because no one else stepped up and maybe it'll help some.

#5 akiracornell

akiracornell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 195590
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

when you say leaking to right do you mean blocking it, push fading or pull fading? if your intended target in the video is square to your shoulder not your feet. it doesnt look ott. your ball shape will tell the combintion of plane and face angle. from my understanding the ball usually starts in the direction of the face at impact. the swing path will impart the spin and ball shape. i always thought it was the other way around.

#6 StevenF

StevenF

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postakiracornell, on 15 November 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

when you say leaking to right do you mean blocking it, push fading or pull fading? if your intended target in the video is square to your shoulder not your feet. it doesnt look ott. your ball shape will tell the combintion of plane and face angle. from my understanding the ball usually starts in the direction of the face at impact. the swing path will impart the spin and ball shape. i always thought it was the other way around.

They were push fades.  Starting right then going righter.   That particular shot actually went pretty straight but my first tee shot of that round went right OB.   I try to close my stance to promote a draw but it rarely draws.   I appreciate the feedback there's a lot of stuff going on I had no idea about.  Thanks guys.

#7 akiracornell

akiracornell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 195590
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostStevenF, on 17 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Postakiracornell, on 15 November 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

They were push fades.  Starting right then going righter.   That particular shot actually went pretty straight but my first tee shot of that round went right OB.   I try to close my stance to promote a draw but it rarely draws.   I appreciate the feedback there's a lot of stuff going on I had no idea about.  Thanks guys.
Well, if your trying to play a draw, you know your swing plane or path is in the ballpark, its just an open clubface. If your having trouble shutting the face, get a feel for how turned over your right hand needs to be when you release the club at address. I personally play a weak right hand. So i strive to almost get the feeling my right palm is facing the ground through impact, or near that atleast. If all your other mechanics are consistant: grip, swing plane, tempo, etc.  Strive for that certain feeling and position your right hand will be in; how folded and turned over it feels through release to get the draw. If its still leaking get that right palm facing the ground through impact.

Just a personal swing thought that might work to help get you dialed. Might not work for everyone.

Edited by akiracornell, 27 November 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#8 StevenF

StevenF

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

thank you I will try that out when I get to the range again.  I have been watching Martin Chuck's videos that explain the swing path and clubface really well I never completely understood the physics until I watched those.  I think I'll be hitting the draws I want very soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors