Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

MountainKings bag, possible Eye 2 replacements!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MountainKing

MountainKing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199340
  • Ebay ID:blackhawks1979
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I can't find the original WITB thread I did so here's a new one....I'm not much on changing clubs but I'm finally getting back seriously into the game this year and initially went looking to get my Eye 2's refinished and grooved but after talking with Ping they no longer do the grooves.  These irons have been in my bag for 20 years (got them as my first real set when I was 12) and I've known nothing else so a good chunk of this summer has been spent trying to find their replacements.   I've had them refinished, re-grooved, lie adjusted a few times over the years ect.  Replacing the Great Big this year was easy, replacing the Big Bertha 3 wood was easy but these irons I love.  I guess I could have found another set of Eye 2's that didn't have 20 years of use on them but instead I decided to go a different route and finally retire the Eye 2s.  This is now what I think I will be going with into the future, maybe another 20 years:

Here we go starting with the woods:

I tried a few drivers out this year, really liked the  Superdeep but the reviews aren't kidding that the club punishes mishits. I think my old Pittsburgh Persimmon had a more forgiving head.  Went through both Superfasts, the R11 and came back to the R9 460 as the keeper with a Pro Launch Red S flex.  Launch is still a bit high, I might need an X flex but I'll get that checked out this winter:

Posted Image

VSteel 3 & 5 wood based on the ravings here and what you guys said about these clubs are correct, they are awesome.  Never thought I'd go back to the 5 wood setup, I generally carried a 2 iron in the past but with the fact that I just don't have time to beat balls like I used to I need all the help I can get.  I had intentions on doing shaft upgrades but these things flight perfectly for me so I think they'll be kept stock.  I did take off the finish and will eventually re-paint them:

Posted Image
Posted Image

My hybrid is a 21* R11 with an Aldila RIP shaft.  This club is a bit of a nemesis to me.   I feel like I should be hitting this over a 3 iron but I can't seem to figure it out, when I hit it well it's awesome as both a driving club and reaching those par 5's/long 3's but other days when I hit the thing I look like a total hack.  I don't get it because everybody else seems to hit hybrids so easy, I'll figure it out:

Posted Image

The iron make up here is a bit odd.  I've really come to like the looks of the old TaylorMade RAC's.  A bud of mine who is on staff ended up giving me one of his sets and then I pieced together some odd ends for the longer irons.  If the 3 iron is in my bag it's the OS version, the 4 iron is an LT (I Need to get a proper ferulle for this one) and the 5 iron is the cavity back version, the rest are the muscle version and these clubs are awesome.  They have flighted rifle 6.0's which makes the ball leave the club very similar to how they left the Pings.  I've given a multitude of different sets a go and to me the looks and feel of these just work right for my game:  

Posted Image

Finally the short game clubs.  My Eye 2 LW face finally caved in after years of use and I decided this was a good time to cut back on a wedge so I picked up a couple Scratch wedges in 53 & 58.  I put Rifle 8 iron shafts @ 7.0 in both to give the tiger stepping a go.  I like the result, but with the new grooves I'm still having a hard time spinning the ball like I'm used to with the Eye 2.  I go against all short game rules and like to fly the ball to the hole and have it check and stop, with these I'm having to relearn my chipping/pitching and also having to get a bit more creative.  This is probably a good change for me as I used to hit any shot around the greens with my LW unless it was a bunker shot. Full shots are fantastic with these guys, I get nice low darts.  I have a lot of confidence with that 53* in my hands on a full shot. The putter is a 1997 Tad Moore, not sure this thing will ever leave the bag, the weight of it and feel during a stroke is just perfect.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I know it's long and wordy but for those who read thanks for reading!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KyleGD

KyleGD

Advanced

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113965
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Sweet set of sticks, a gamers set for sure.

#3 LBlack14

LBlack14

Say it to my face!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30664
  • Ebay ID:LBlack14
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Run hot water over the ferrule and slide it back down.

#4 MountainKing

MountainKing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199340
  • Ebay ID:blackhawks1979
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm replacing them this winter...the LT has a funny lip so a standard ferrule won't do the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors