Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What do i need to add to my putter colllection?

37 replies to this topic

#31 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

It's funny. I can get rid of everything golf wise, except putters. The only putter i've ever used that I don't still have is my first putter. I'd still have it except my sister sold it in a garage sale 42 years ago so that she could come to my wedding. That's a better use for it than I was ever able to put it to. Do I have a putter collection, then? More like a putter graveyard!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 PutterHo

PutterHo

We all have our vices.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67708
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

View Posthebron1427, on 16 November 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostTheDarkOne, on 16 November 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Get yourself a Cameron before you do anything else. I played everythign for years before discovering Scott's work. Once you start using a Cameron, there's a good chance you will be done with everything else. One of the new Newport Selects would be cool, or go old school with one of the Tei putters.

or, you'll be like me, who started wtih camerons and then discovered everyone on the afore-mentioned list, wondering why i wasted so much time messing around with camerons when there were so many more options.
agreed ....... but i still cant seem to let the doggies run wild ... they always seem to find their way back into the bags.

#33 Gava

Gava

C'mon Aussie !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227765
  • Ebay ID:biggav1972
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Get yourself a Cameron before you do anything else. I played everythign for years before discovering Scott's work. Once you start using a Cameron, there's a good chance you will be done with everything else. One of the new Newport Selects would be cool, or go old school with one of the Tei putters.

Yes, this thread has been sleeping for a while but...

I agree with you & not hebron mate.  Just started collecting and swapped a SC Circa 62 #3 into the bag as I was blown away by how well I rolled it!

There are the occasional cheap (banged up) Scottys out there but maybe not quite to your budget - there are some nice people on bst that may cut a deal on one they are struggling to sell - or can post a 'wanted to buy'.
Titleist 910 D2 9.5
Titleist 910F13.5 & 910H 17
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
Titliest Vokey Wedges 54.08, 60.10
Piretti Teramo & Byron Morgan DH 89

#34 heinenkugels

heinenkugels

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159963
  • Ebay ID:heinenkugels
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

View Posthebron1427, on 16 November 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

or, you'll be like me, who started wtih camerons and then discovered everyone on the afore-mentioned list, wondering why i wasted so much time messing around with camerons when there were so many more options.
I feel the same....   Don't waste your time with an overpriced Scotty.  

Something I noticed in your post is that you're starting off and have a budget in mind...  I recommend picking up a Ping BeCu Pal4, or a Pal2 if you like more of a heal shafted putter.  Both are pretty common putters and you could pick one up for for under $50.  

Happy Hunting!

#35 Gava

Gava

C'mon Aussie !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227765
  • Ebay ID:biggav1972
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

Any updates on your list of putters over the festive season mate?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5
Titleist 910F13.5 & 910H 17
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
Titliest Vokey Wedges 54.08, 60.10
Piretti Teramo & Byron Morgan DH 89

#36 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1249

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Putters every golfer should try:

MnBr Ping Anser with a floating face.  Preferably with a Pingman or Pro Only grip.
TP Mills 1.  The original milled putter.
Wilson 8802 with leather.  It's the reason that my collection has gone the direction it has.
Bullseye John Reuter Jr sand cast brass model.  Preferably with leather.
Sportsman/Bristol/Ram Wizard 600 with the fluted shaft.   Jack won 15 majors with it.
Ram Zebra
Tad Moore TM-2
Odyssey Rossie II
Ray Cook Nugget.  One of the early heavy putters.
BeCu Anser 4
BeCu Zing 2

Once you figure out what style you like, venture into the modern milled reproductions.
I think everyone should try a Byron Morgan DH-89 if they are an Anser fan.  It's (IMO) one of the best Anser design putters out there.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ Oban Devotion 8
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#37 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Handicap:8.1
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostGava, on 24 February 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

Any updates on your list of putters over the festive season mate?

actually went in the exact opposite direction and cleaned house. just have one now. maybe when i have a garage ill collect them. My wife and i have a small 1 bedroom apartment. she was not thrilled to have clubs taking up 2 walls. I am down to my gamer 13, 588 SW and my trusty V steel 4 wood.
ping rapture v2
PING g15 4 wood
PING i20 20* and 23*hybrid
Ping G10 xg 5-P KBS tour S
Ping karsten craz e
Ping Tour S 52/58 S300
WITB Link

#38 golfluvzme

golfluvzme

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 937
  • Ebay ID:golfluvzme
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I remember this thread when it was brand new and it really had some great ways to build a general collection and not spend a ton of cash.
The killer part reading it today was that I am far from being a collector, at least in my own eyes, and the lists that were posted by Hebron, CWB and esketores each had some great ideas in them.  I started looking at bags in my house, what I had on the wall and what was leaning up against the wall of my shop and I had pretty much every maker that was mentioned and never paid any attention.
Guess that means that when you start collecting, sometimes it never really leaves you.  They may not come as often or with as much intention, but the manage to find their way into your hands and linger a while.
With my current situation, maybe it is time to thin this herd and let some of the new guys add a few to their stash that won't break their bank.
Just wanted to post that either way you go on a collection, there is no "RIGHT" or "WRONG" way to go.  There is no "MUST HAVE" putter maker that will put your collection on the map.  It is all in what do YOU see value or beauty in.  I really liked the way that HoosierHacker managed to thin his collection down and keep some peace in the apartment.  I have been there and it was a great move, at the time.
Enjoy the putters, love the game and share what you know.  THAT ought to be the general rule, but sometimes it gets a bit clouded.
Have an amazing day,
LaMont in AZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors