Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Taylor Made Spider S Review


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Ok let me start by saying I've never done a putter review.  I've played newport 2 or zing style putters for 20 + years.  
I also must say I hate everything white and everything from Taylor made.  Hate their touring pros and the marketing drives me nuts.

But the first time I saw the Spider S I said I have to buy it.  Something about it caught my eye.  So I made a trip to carls yesterday and picked up one.  


And.......


Today was the best putting round of my life. 7 birdies including 4 in a row (My record!!!) for the best and last round of the year.

I mean holy cow line up the putt and pull the trigger - The ball just goes straight.  The feel is not scotty thats for sure - it's kinda soft and mushy but who gives a damn.  Im actually still in awe of todays round.   I couldn't drive worth a crap but had a few long par saves and some Bombs for birdies.  

The putter looks good / feels decent but performs incredibly.   Im happy to say that 9 clubs are cemented in the bag for 2013 (8 ap2s and putter).

It is just so easy to line up the putter - the white line on the black top does wonders.  The mallet even ensures that the putter is down properly (lie).

The SM4 wedges on the other hand are lacking.  My 2nd go around with them and I think I officially hate them.  They feel hard and clicky.  They don't spin very well either so Im either going to ditch them for a 2nd time or take a U groove sharpener to them in the spring and see what happens.

913D2 Tour AD DI 6
SLDR Mini 16 Tour AD DI 7
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW PXI 6.0
Vokey SM5 52F 56S 60S Tour Issue S400
Scotty SquareBack

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 40simguy

40simguy

    Advanced

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115062
  • Joined: 09/18/2010
  • Location:Northern Virginia
  • Ebay ID:40simguy
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Good review.

Maybe like you were, I wasn't crazy about all the white.  It's not just white, but a pretty large mallet at that (just came from a Scotty Laguna all this past season).  I wasn't sold on it when I bought it but it worked pretty well at the GS :-).  Seriously, I started looking for another putter after this season, mainly for alignment help (played a 2-ball for a long time).  So I knew it would help me.

After some on-course action though, I was sold.  Sure, it goes where it was aimed and it is easier to line up than my Laguna.  No surprise there.  But utlimately, what sold me was how well it rolled the ball.  No skips or jumps, just a very true end-over-end roll. Very nice.  Mine is a keeper....

#3 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I agree the roll was sweet - I don't know why I was shy towards white and mallets! White + Mallets = success!
913D2 Tour AD DI 6
SLDR Mini 16 Tour AD DI 7
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW PXI 6.0
Vokey SM5 52F 56S 60S Tour Issue S400
Scotty SquareBack

#4 Zach Heusser

Zach Heusser

    #insideTMAG

  • Marshals
  • 3,780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Pacifica CA
  • Handicap:pro

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the review.  I look forward to getting in some more rounds with mine.
Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course
Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2014
Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012
Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University
My WITB

http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/

#5 Fourpar18

Fourpar18

    Try to decide....well I did....Taylormade in 2014

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62108
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:South Central Texas
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

I bought the Spider S last week and I have one round in it and I had 8 one putts!  It was not a good day off the tee but I managed to get a 79 with one 3 putt.  The putter does feel soft and the ball jumps off the face so it will take a little time getting used to distance control but I look forward to gaming this for a while.

Edited by Fourpar18, 21 November 2012 - 11:06 AM.

TM: SLDR 430
TM: Stage 2
TM: 2014 Tour Preferred MC
TM: 2014 Tour Preferred Wedges
TM: Spider 2.0 Vault Limited Edition
TM Tour Preferred / Lethal

#6 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

4 rounds in - this putter is amazing.  It's so easy to line up almost point and shoot - make sure your line is correct and putt!

In the bag 100% for 2013.
913D2 Tour AD DI 6
SLDR Mini 16 Tour AD DI 7
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW PXI 6.0
Vokey SM5 52F 56S 60S Tour Issue S400
Scotty SquareBack

#7 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
  • Joined: 05/09/2009
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hmmm this putter has my attention for sure!

#8 hebron1427

hebron1427

    Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
  • Joined: 09/05/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostFourpar18, on 11 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I bought the Spider S last week and I have one round in it and I had 8 one putts!  It was not a good off the tee but I managed to get a 79 with one 3 putt.  The putter does feel soft and the ball jumps off the face so it will take a little time getting used to distance control but I look forward to gaming this for a while.

no surprise there. not enough roll and bulge.

#9 hebron1427

hebron1427

    Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
  • Joined: 09/05/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

View Postdriverwedge3putt, on 11 November 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Ok let me start by saying I've never done a putter review.  I've played newport 2 or zing style putters for 20 + years.  
I also must say I hate everything white and everything from Taylor made.  Hate their touring pros and the marketing drives me nuts.

But the first time I saw the Spider S I said I have to buy it.  Something about it caught my eye.  So I made a trip to carls yesterday and picked up one.  


And.......


Today was the best putting round of my life. 7 birdies including 4 in a row (My record!!!) for the best and last round of the year.

I mean holy cow line up the putt and pull the trigger - The ball just goes straight.  The feel is not scotty thats for sure - it's kinda soft and mushy but who gives a damn.  Im actually still in awe of todays round.   I couldn't drive worth a crap but had a few long par saves and some Bombs for birdies.  

The putter looks good / feels decent but performs incredibly.   Im happy to say that 9 clubs are cemented in the bag for 2013 (8 ap2s and putter).

It is just so easy to line up the putter - the white line on the black top does wonders.  The mallet even ensures that the putter is down properly (lie).

The SM4 wedges on the other hand are lacking.  My 2nd go around with them and I think I officially hate them.  They feel hard and clicky.  They don't spin very well either so Im either going to ditch them for a 2nd time or take a U groove sharpener to them in the spring and see what happens.

have you looked into fourteen wedges? i played 588s for a long time and vokeys for a minute. fourteen is the real deal.

#10 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 2,515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Joined: 08/02/2006
  • Location:Raleigh, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostFourpar18, on 11 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I bought the Spider S last week and I have one round in it and I had 8 one putts! It was not a good off the tee...

Might have been the shaft.  You should find a fitting cart and get on a launch monitor.

I wish this putter came with the Titallium face that's in the Tour line, or the old AGSI+ face that was in the Itsy Bitsy.  The surlyn Pure Roll face makes Pinnacle Golds feel like marshmallows.

TM SLDR S, 10* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 45"
TM SLDR TP TS, Speeder TS 8.3 S
TM SLDR S Rescue 19*, Fuji Fuel 85 S
TM SLDR irons, 4-AW, DG XP S300 +1"
Nike VR Forged 55, 60 DG XP S300 +1"
TM Spider Si Slant, 35.5"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Fourpar18

Fourpar18

    Try to decide....well I did....Taylormade in 2014

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62108
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:South Central Texas
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Posthebron1427, on 19 November 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

View PostFourpar18, on 11 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I bought the Spider S last week and I have one round in it and I had 8 one putts!  It was not a good day off the tee but I managed to get a 79 with one 3 putt.  The putter does feel soft and the ball jumps off the face so it will take a little time getting used to distance control but I look forward to gaming this for a while.

no surprise there. not enough roll and bulge.

That was funny....proof reading is your friend!

Kelly
TM: SLDR 430
TM: Stage 2
TM: 2014 Tour Preferred MC
TM: 2014 Tour Preferred Wedges
TM: Spider 2.0 Vault Limited Edition
TM Tour Preferred / Lethal

#12 Fourpar18

Fourpar18

    Try to decide....well I did....Taylormade in 2014

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62108
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:South Central Texas
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 19 November 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

View PostFourpar18, on 11 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I bought the Spider S last week and I have one round in it and I had 8 one putts! It was not a good off the tee...

Might have been the shaft.  You should find a fitting cart and get on a launch monitor.

I wish this putter came with the Titallium face that's in the Tour line, or the old AGSI+ face that was in the Itsy Bitsy.  The surlyn Pure Roll face makes Pinnacle Golds feel like marshmallows.

I got on a monitor today with it and my launch angle was .5-1 but with the back spin less that 50 I was able to put it out there!
TM: SLDR 430
TM: Stage 2
TM: 2014 Tour Preferred MC
TM: 2014 Tour Preferred Wedges
TM: Spider 2.0 Vault Limited Edition
TM Tour Preferred / Lethal

#13 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
  • Joined: 05/09/2009
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostFourpar18, on 21 November 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

View PostSheriffBooth, on 19 November 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

View PostFourpar18, on 11 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I bought the Spider S last week and I have one round in it and I had 8 one putts! It was not a good off the tee...

Might have been the shaft.  You should find a fitting cart and get on a launch monitor.

I wish this putter came with the Titallium face that's in the Tour line, or the old AGSI+ face that was in the Itsy Bitsy.  The surlyn Pure Roll face makes Pinnacle Golds feel like marshmallows.

I got on a monitor today with it and my launch angle was .5-1 but with the back spin less that 50 I was able to put it out there!

Haha! Good one. Gotta know the numbers right through the bag!

#14 bioman

bioman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81752
  • Joined: 05/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Will have to try the flow neck when it comes out.

#15 N2N2

N2N2

    N2N2

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43539
  • Joined: 12/08/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

View Postdriverwedge3putt, on 19 November 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

4 rounds in - this putter is amazing.  It's so easy to line up almost point and shoot - make sure your line is correct and putt!

In the bag 100% for 2013.

+1. Spider S Slant for me. Love it.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors