Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

DIY Quick Release shaft clamp... for under $20

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Been wanting a quick release shaft clamp for a while, but wasn't spending that kind of coin.  On a wild hair, I started looking for parts to build one, mainly, the quick release part (it's called a toggle clamp).

I found one online cheap ($10 or so shipped on ebay).  It's a 1 1/4" push pull toggle clamp.  

Went into my scrap metal I had here at the house and sourced the aluminum bar stock and aluminum angle.  

Had a piece of scrap wood I decided would work just fine as well.

Stopped by Ace Hardware and picked up some nuts and bolts and washers today for $4.

Needless to say, I hadn't sketched a thing out, but had a general idea.

Here's the parts(minus the wood of course):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Started by deciding how I was going to attach a piece of aluminum angle to the clamp.  Came up with using a piece of aluminum bar stock with the screw partially countersunk and notching out the aluminum angle. (you can see the notching in the above pics).  Then, secured them to the bolt provided with the push pull toggle clamp (and adding some thread locker and then a bead of epoxy to dry quicker on the outside.  I've got a few grips to change out tonight, lol, so I wanted it to be ready to use quicker).

Here it is setting up to dry.

Posted Image

Once that was done, it was a matter of adjusting my riser for the fixed piece of angle (nuts and bolts)  and adjusting that for the height of the push pull toggle clamp.  It ended up being 2 nuts under the bar stock to come out dead nuts even.

Attached a piece of aluminum angle temporarily to secure it in the bench vice with until I get my work station cleaned up to secure it to the table (yeah, it's gonna be a while, lol).

Anyway, here's the finished product (my torch was nearby so I torch finished the wood, lol).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Total time invested in this?  35 minutes from start to finish once everything was here.  Hope it gives a few of you some ideas, and I'm sure I could've improved on it by using metal for the baseplate, but I was going cheapo on it to see if I could come up with something functional.  Were I to build another, I'd use metal.  I will be adding rubber jaws (I'm temporarily using the magnetized ones as this was an experiment).

Edited by RookieBlue7, 09 November 2012 - 07:45 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 747

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

I like it!

Does it attach to your bench vise via the angle iron, or can you just lock the chunk of wood to the vice?

I'm guessing the width adjustment is that nut on the clamp?

#3 Arnie

Arnie

Arnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1967
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostRookieBlue7, on 09 November 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

Been wanting a quick release shaft clamp for a while, but wasn't spending that kind of coin.  On a wild hair, I started looking for parts to build one, mainly, the quick release part (it's called a toggle clamp).

I found one online cheap ($10 or so shipped on ebay).  It's a 1 1/4" push pull toggle clamp.  

Went into my scrap metal I had here at the house and sourced the aluminum bar stock and aluminum angle.  

Had a piece of scrap wood I decided would work just fine as well.

Stopped by Ace Hardware and picked up some nuts and bolts and washers today for $4.

Needless to say, I hadn't sketched a thing out, but had a general idea.

Here's the parts(minus the wood of course):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Started by deciding how I was going to attach a piece of aluminum angle to the clamp.  Came up with using a piece of aluminum bar stock with the screw partially countersunk and notching out the aluminum angle. (you can see the notching in the above pics).  Then, secured them to the bolt provided with the push pull toggle clamp (and adding some thread locker and then a bead of epoxy to dry quicker on the outside.  I've got a few grips to change out tonight, lol, so I wanted it to be ready to use quicker).

Here it is setting up to dry.

Posted Image

Once that was done, it was a matter of adjusting my riser for the fixed piece of angle (nuts and bolts)  and adjusting that for the height of the push pull toggle clamp.  It ended up being 2 nuts under the bar stock to come out dead nuts even.

Attached a piece of aluminum angle temporarily to secure it in the bench vice with until I get my work station cleaned up to secure it to the table (yeah, it's gonna be a while, lol).

Anyway, here's the finished product (my torch was nearby so I torch finished the wood, lol).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Total time invested in this?  35 minutes from start to finish once everything was here.  Hope it gives a few of you some ideas, and I'm sure I could've improved on it by using metal for the baseplate, but I was going cheapo on it to see if I could come up with something functional.  Were I to build another, I'd use metal.  I will be adding rubber jaws (I'm temporarily using the magnetized ones as this was an experiment).
Nice ! Suggestion, the fixed jaw should be mounted on slots in the base so you can adjust the closed width of the jaws. This adjustment doesn't have to be made often but it does have to be made.

#4 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,774 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'm just using it for regripping, and will only be clamping near the head end. Plus, I just wanted to see if I could construct something functional. I'm gonna be redoing it, lol, when I get time.

#5 Arnie

Arnie

Arnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1967
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostRookieBlue7, on 10 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

I'm just using it for regripping, and will only be clamping near the head end. Plus, I just wanted to see if I could construct something functional. I'm gonna be redoing it, lol, when I get time.

When clamping a shaft for regripping you should clamp about 12" -14" from the butt of the shaft. This is important because you could break a graphite shaft or bend a steel shaft if you clamp way down near the head.

#6 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,774 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Never had any issues before, and I've regripped hundreds of clubs. I don't crank down on them. You can still spin the club when I put them in a vice. This one hasn't been used yet. I broke te fitting off my compressor that night catching myself from falling.

Edited by RookieBlue7, 12 November 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#7 prestiege

prestiege

M to the I to Z to the UNO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88848
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

i like it, something like this is exactly what ive been looking for, time to find a toggle clamp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors