Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Charlie Beljan...What just happened?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 2341

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I find it hard to believe he could actually play through a real panic attack. Impressive, if he really did. I have had one in the past, and the only thing I was able to do was build a "fort" out of the couch cushions in the back room and hide under a blanket for about six hours. That was back when I could actually FIT under the couch cushions. Now, I would be hosed.

(what?)

PING Anser 10.5/Ahina 73x
PING G15 15.5, 18.5/PX Black 6.5
Mizuno Mp 53 3-pw/DG s300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
PING Anser Milled
Wilson Fg Tour
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2250

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 11 November 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

I find it hard to believe he could actually play through a real panic attack. Impressive, if he really did. I have had one in the past, and the only thing I was able to do was build a "fort" out of the couch cushions in the back room and hide under a blanket for about six hours. That was back when I could actually FIT under the couch cushions. Now, I would be hosed.

(what?)

yeah but that was an acid flashback not a panic attack! :drinks:
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#63 tbowles411

tbowles411

I've always liked this pic. :)

• 18,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1699

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 11 November 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

(what?)

LOL!  I think that was golf's equivalent of sucking it up.  His caddie deserves major kudos.  He was probably major in keeping him calm and focused on what he was doing.

#64 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 11,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 2341

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

(what?)

Naw, man. Acid is for sandle-rockers. Real rock musicians do (DELETED BY MOD).

(edit: not on this site)

Edited by MadGolfer76, 11 November 2012 - 06:52 PM.

PING Anser 10.5/Ahina 73x
PING G15 15.5, 18.5/PX Black 6.5
Mizuno Mp 53 3-pw/DG s300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
PING Anser Milled
Wilson Fg Tour
WITB Link

#65 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 5,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 830

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 11 November 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

(what?)

Naw, man. Acid is for sandle-rockers. Real rock musicians do (DELETED BY MOD).

(edit: not on this site)

^^^  humor

ct2
3w
913h 19*
i25 x 7
sm5 x 3
anser 2 k-tr

#66 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 11 November 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 11 November 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Wanted to chime back in with my opinion as well. I know it's a real medical issue and I hope he gets better. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy. What I'm saying is if he starts getting into high pressure situations consistently ie final pairings and starts consistently having these attacks that truly give the appearance of life endangerment, I think he should WD until he can get a handle on it. Kevin Na didn't look like he was going to die, Tiger didn't look like he was going to die. Being paired up with someone who looks like they're having heart problems, complete with constant medical supervision is beyond what his fellow competitors should have to deal with if this starts becoming a reoccurring situation. Just my opinion and people can disagree. Bottom line I don't think a guy should have to play a tournament, which has it's own distractions and pressures, and also having to worry that their playing partner looks to be jeopardizing their own health.

No, thats not what you said. The first thing you did was say he should have already WD. If his FC's can't handle whatever amount of distraction came out of this for them then, maybe professional golf isn't for them.

Caught me there. I did say that but he didn't withdraw and ended up winning. Good for him, truly, and I hope he's passed this. Nonetheless my position remains, if this happens again I think him WD'ing himself is in order. The distraction this kind of a health situation presents is beyond what I think is acceptable because the symptoms appear extremely life threatening. At some point you have to draw a line between what is acceptable and what isn't. I know it's not something he can control. Let me present another medical situation. Would it be acceptable for someone with Tourettes to be paired with someone who had to face yelling during their backswing? It's a medical condition that's uncontrollable but to me would unfairly hinder a playing partner.

It's human nature to be concerned for someone facing medical crisis. When that person seems to disregard their own health it's human nature to want to step in and make the person realize the gravity of their situation and the possible consequences of their inaction.

For those saying the playing partners need to just deal with it answer this hypothetical situation:
He has a panic attack in the final pairing at the masters, but wants to stick it out to earn a return trip to Augusta. He looks the same as Friday. Medical staff is worried about his heart rate, blood pressure, etc. Now imagine Tom Watson is having a dream week, at sixty some years old. But despite his long tenure as a professional he's never dealt with this, a guy who looks near death. Hopefully it's just another panic attack but what if the doctors missed something and there's a heart issue reoccurring because of the stress? He keeps focus as best he can but loses out to a player in the next group on a birdie run and loses by one.

I know that's a crazy scenario but I'm taking it to the extreme to illustrate my point. To those guys in the tournament this week it's THEIR Masters, at least those near 125 on the money list. Do or die, and once again it's my opinion that playing with someone who is possibly dying is, in my opinion, beyond what should be required of a playing partner. Thus I feel he owes it to anyone he's playing with, who is in a meaningful position to them, to withdraw should this reoccur.

Edit: actually I withdraw my admission of saying that. If you read all my posts it repeatedly says "if this happens again" and I never said he should've WD already. I assumed you had read that from one of my early posts, but when I just double checked I never said that.

Which isn't to say I don't necessarily think that. I'm not sure how he should've handled this initial attack, assuming his playing partner was in the middle of an important round. Tough decision. But I do think IF THIS HAPPENS again he owes his fellow competitors a WD.

Edit 2: I also want to reiterate I have absolutely nothing against the guy. Know nothing about him aside from what I've seen and heard on golf channel the last few days. Wish him continued success. Seems like a good guy.

Edited by Chief Illiniwek, 11 November 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#67 PingG10guy

PingG10guy

Major Winner

• 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77622
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 11 November 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostPingG10guy, on 11 November 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

so does he really have a condition or is he just a country club kid who hasn't been through anything?
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

If that doesn't qualify for huge stress, I don't know what does. Other dad's like me definitely understand. True?
I'm military. That's not enough to cause a panic attack IMO.  

By your answer to my question you're calling him a country club kid who hasn't been through anything lol

#68 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

We can't have a conversation about this when you insist on using the imaginary to demonstrate your point. This guys issue and tourettes syndrome? You can't be seriously offering this as an actual comparison. The distinction between the two is clear. Charlie wasn't screaming uncontrollably in someones back swing.  I don't even know how to respond to the masters scenario you describe. You lost me the moment you mentioned Tom Watson in contention at augusta in 2013. Since we're playing pretend, Why not go the distance and suggest Jack decided to dust off the sticks and is, at 74 or whatever, making a Sunday charge just as this nobody loser starts to get a little twitchy? Maybe we can have a freshly thawed Walt Disney rooting Jack on? While we are at it let's make Sinbad and carrot top funny and on a hit TV show together!  

Every thing you say about it suggests the guy was on deaths door. That is not the case. They have medical personal on site to evaluate and treat all manor of injuries and illness. If he was in fact screaming out loud or shaking uncontrollably i would completely with you. But he's not doing that. He has some type of medical issue, he is able to remain still and quiet during others turns. What you're suggesting is that simply his presence is enough of a distraction to others to make him quit his profession. If that's the case, then I submit John Daly and his hideous pants should also walk away. Tiger and his massive media and fan following is clearly as much of a distraction, Bubba watson is about as twitchy and awkward as they come, he would certainly bother me out there. he should do something else too by your reasoning. There are a million things out there that are distractions for these guys. I would argue that a large part of the reason they are out there in the first place is the ability to tune out such things and play their game. These guys, yes even the ones fighting for their card this week, are among the very best in the world. They can handle it.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#69 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Breaking it down to bare bones, I think it's unacceptable for playing partners to have to play with someone showing many signs of heart attack. You disagree. I'm cool with our disagreement. :-)

#70 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 5,892 posts
  •  

View PostPingG10guy, on 11 November 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

so does he really have a condition or is he just a country club kid who hasn't been through anything?
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

If that doesn't qualify for huge stress, I don't know what does. Other dad's like me definitely understand. True?

By your answer to my question you're calling him a country club kid who hasn't been through anything lol

I was in military too - doesn't matter here...  Everyone is wired differently.  You can't suggest he is a "softy" country club kid with no difficult life experiences because he reacts differently to stress.  The tour is filled with "country club kids". You also don't know his full story and what his internal stressors are.  The guy is 6'4" and 220lbs but he came off 18 in tears on live TV.  Something serious was affecting him emotionally.  We should respect that and not be judging him here.

ct2
3w
913h 19*
i25 x 7
sm5 x 3
anser 2 k-tr

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
GolfWRX Likes : 222

i love the direction this thread is going in
Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

#72 PingG10guy

PingG10guy

Major Winner

• 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77622
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Poststation2station, on 11 November 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

View PostPingG10guy, on 11 November 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

I was in military too - doesn't matter here...  Everyone is wired differently.  You can't suggest he is a "softy" country club kid with no difficult life experiences because he reacts differently to stress.  The tour is filled with "country club kids". You also don't know his full story and what his internal stressors are.  The guy is 6'4" and 220lbs but he came off 18 in tears on live TV.  Something serious was affecting him emotionally.  We should respect that and not be judging him here.

Just sounds like there's more to the story.

And for the record, the first part was WRX sarcasm. Forgot the tag.

/WRXsarcasm

#73 golf_fanatik

golf_fanatik

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35492
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ok did he win or not? Didn't watch

#74 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yes he won and looked to have no further problems with panic attacks.

#75 golf_fanatik

golf_fanatik

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35492
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 11 November 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

Yes he won and looked to have no further problems with panic attacks.

Thanks from a fellow Fighting Illini!

#76 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 1747

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

He's newly married?

Nuff said.

No wonder he is walking around crying.

Wife probably has a stack of Pottery Barn catalogs with all kinds of stuff highlighted.

Edited by bscinstnct, 11 November 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#77 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 5,892 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 11 November 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

He's newly married?

Nuff said.

No wonder he is walking around crying.

Wife probably has a stack of Pottery Barn catalogs with all kinds of stuff highlighted.

HAH.  Dropped $1300 at Lululemon last month like my wife….
ct2
3w
913h 19*
i25 x 7
sm5 x 3
anser 2 k-tr

#78 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

A panic attack because he has a shot at winning a c-d level tourney. Welcome to November golf. SO dramatic, in a sort of tempest in a teapot way.

OMG!!! he has a new family! Totally dramatic. What a gutsy performance!!!!

And he's just about to cry!!!! (How cool is that?)

Edited by bobfoster, 11 November 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#79 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179188
  • Ebay ID:swvafiremedic
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

View Postboxerjoe2011, on 11 November 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

View PostPar-A-Medic, on 09 November 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Paroxysmal super ventricular tachycardia is also a good guess

Supra-ventricular-tachycardia or SVT.  I would like to know who these medics were.  All of his symptoms are of cardiac suspicion, if he was AOX4, he can AMA, but I think he said he had no memory of the back nine on Golf Central, which leads me to believe he was altered.  I'm surprised these "medics" didn't get in some trouble for this.  Of course, we don't know what his vitals were, but still. Sketchy medicine.
+1

#80 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Doncha just want to hug him? Pat him on the back? Tell him it'll be okay?

Pretend you'll actually remember his name when the real tour starts again next year?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 2bGood

2bGood

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 11 November 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

I know that's a crazy scenario but I'm taking it to the extreme to illustrate my point. To those guys in the tournament this week it's THEIR Masters, at least those near 125 on the money list. Do or die, and once again it's my opinion that playing with someone who is possibly dying is, in my opinion, beyond what should be required of a playing partner. Thus I feel he owes it to anyone he's playing with, who is in a meaningful position to them, to withdraw should this reoccur.

He choose 'Do' but for a round there it looked like he was going the other way.

#82 deeeep

deeeep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78393
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Unbelievable story.  Happy he still has his card.  Good for him.

#83 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
GolfWRX Likes : 1154

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

View Postbobfoster, on 11 November 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Pretend you'll actually remember his name when the real tour starts again next year?

Again Midas? We got it the first time- you're not impressed. Good for you...

Isn't there a TW thread for you to peruse?

#84 boxerjoe2011

boxerjoe2011

Oh Billy!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93762
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

View Postbobfoster, on 11 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

A panic attack because he has a shot at winning a c-d level tourney. Welcome to November golf. SO dramatic, in a sort of tempest in a teapot way.

classy

#85 bunter101

bunter101

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47370
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Postbobfoster, on 11 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

#faileddream

View Postbobfoster, on 11 November 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Damn, at what age did you become so bitter? 21?

Edited by bunter101, 12 November 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#86 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 17,238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 3857

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

(what?)
I have to agree with this. "Flight" would kick in big time. But then who knows? Maybe his caddy was instrumental in keeping him on an even keel so he could finish the round and/or his desire to finish the round outweighed the panic attack by just enough to complete the round?
Callaway Big Bertha 9.5
TaylorMade JetSpeed 17
Callaway X2 Hot 21
TaylorMade TP MB 3-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52 / 58
SC Newport 2 Dual Balance

#87 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 5,892 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I understand It's hard for those who haven't experienced health issues of this nature to empathize, but it's a real sick feeling with strong physical components.  

He's a rookie out on tour - I'd wager we hear is name again associated with success.
ct2
3w
913h 19*
i25 x 7
sm5 x 3
anser 2 k-tr

#88 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Classic panic attack. Classic! Good for him for fighting through and winning! Way to go Charlie.

I'd been one of those that said "panic attack"? WTF? these people are looney......until I had one. You swear you are going to pass out and/or die. Blood pressure drops, heart rate goes up. For me they didn't last but a few seconds. I can't imagine a whole day filled with them!

Edited by Willie Malay, 12 November 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#89 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostWillie Malay, on 12 November 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Classic panic attack. Classic! Good for him for fighting through and winning! Way to go Charlie.

I'd been one of those that said "panic attack"? WTF? these people are looney......until I had one. You swear you are going to pass out and/or die. Blood pressure drops, heart rate goes up. For me they didn't last but a few seconds. I can't imagine a whole day filled with them!

And shooting 64 in a tour event! (Of any grade grand master Bob wants to give it)
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#90 Slappy9

Slappy9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121101
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I have been pretty busy here in NJ and have been trying to get things cleaned up here. Sunday night I finally got a chance to sit down and relax and turn of the Golf Channel  and find out that Beljan went through that horrible panic attack and then went on to WIN the tournament!! AMAZING story and god bless him.  It put a smile on my face and made me feel good for a little while.

Anyone who takes anything away from this guy should honestly be ashamed of themselves. If someone has to talk down about any accomplishment that anyone else has made needs to take a long look in the mirror.  I feel sorry for you.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors