Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Charlie Beljan...What just happened?

106 replies to this topic

#31 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179188
  • Ebay ID:swvafiremedic
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostHarry Longshanks, on 10 November 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

View PostK31795, on 09 November 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Not a panic attack. Blood pressure was reported as low.  

Not sure where you are getting your information from, but everything I heard (announcers relating events during the event) and read was that his heart rate was very high.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Charlie Beljan was worried about keeping his PGA Tour card when he showed up at Disney for the final tournament of the year. That changed Friday over five frightening hours when he felt a shortness of breath and his heart racing, and eventually told his caddie that he thought he was going to die.

http://espn.go.com/g...ey-hospitalized

Heart rate and blood pressure are too different things. They did say his heart rate was high, and his blood pressure is low. That makes since because at a certain point your heart beats faster than the blood can flow back and fill the chambers. That's the big danger of psvt. The biggest reason people pass out because of it and become short of breath also. Your heart like a golf swing isn't always best as hard and fast as you can go.

Anxiety is a likely choice. I would just be concerned about the other things too.  Psvt for example will present and then fix in its own often times. This requires wearing a monitor for about a month and hoping to catch the episode. However this is one of those things we are taught in the 3-4 week of paramedic school and surely the medics at the event would have recognized. I have a friend that has this and he often coughs hard and it goes away, sometimes he takes a nerve pill......(hello anxiety diagnosis), and once I had to come to his house and shock him with a defibrillator.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 smackygolf

smackygolf

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9577
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostNaughty Mazz, on 09 November 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

View PostPar-A-Medic, on 09 November 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

View PostNaughty Mazz, on 09 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

you guys really need to be humbled
? I'm sorry I don't understand.  I am a critical care paramedic by trade. Just speculating what's wrong with the guy. I don't think it was just a panic attack. Whatever it was he had a great round and hate to see it lost.

the one's who are using this thread as an opportunity to tell everyone how smart they are. pick your spots.

Inferiority complex much? He's not telling everyone how smart he is. You just feel dumb because you don't know any of the words. It's a YOU problem.

#33 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1017

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Looks like he is playing today and tee'ing off around 11 EST.  Pulling for him.

I've known someone that has these issues.  The odd thing is that when you are in the middle of the anxiety you don't know why you feel terrible -  and convincing yourself it's a non-life-threatening anxiety/panic attack is hard because it feels so scary.  And you seek medical advice - and all the tests come up negative for the traditional problems..  a vicious circle of "what is going on and why?" When you later calm down and feel better you can look back and say "it probably WAS a panic attack."  But when it returns you question it again...Sounds exactly like Charlie's story.

#34 scotto69

scotto69

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70419
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

He's playing well enough to day to be right at the top of the leaderboard still...AND he hasn't died yet.

Golfchannel sure made this the biggest possible drama possible.

I feel sorry for his playing partners a little bit. They're trying to focus too, it can't help to be playing with a guy who says he might collapse and die.

#35 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

View Postscotto69, on 10 November 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

He's playing well enough to day to be right at the top of the leaderboard still...AND he hasn't died yet.

I feel sorry for his playing partners a little bit. They're trying to focus too, it can't help to be playing with a guy who says he might collapse and die.

+1. I was watching amazed yesterday thinking this guy was having heart problems or something. The announcers were really talking up his determination. Then today it's being called a panic attack? If I was his playing partner yesterday and I was fighting to keep my card I'd frankly be a little pissed about all the distractions if panic attack is indeed the correct diagnosis. Maybe I'm being harsh and don't totally understand panic attacks, I'm ignorant of the subject. But if you're prone to panic attacks maybe professional golf isn't for you? Will this continue to happen if and when he faces more pressure? Like a WGC or Players Sunday? Or imagine if he made it to the final group on Master's Sunday.

#36 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4536

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

According to Golf Channel, Mr. Beljan said he had a panic attack. It has happened before.
Hey...be nice.

#37 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Ya just saw it on Golf Central. If it happens again during a round and his playing partners are doing well, trying to make a cut, etc, I think he owes it to them to WD no matter his position in the tournament.

#38 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 10 November 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

View Postscotto69, on 10 November 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

+1. I was watching amazed yesterday thinking this guy was having heart problems or something. The announcers were really talking up his determination. Then today it's being called a panic attack? If I was his playing partner yesterday and I was fighting to keep my card I'd frankly be a little pissed about all the distractions if panic attack is indeed the correct diagnosis. Maybe I'm being harsh and don't totally understand panic attacks, I'm ignorant of the subject. But if you're prone to panic attacks maybe professional golf isn't for you? Will this continue to happen if and when he faces more pressure? Like a WGC or Players Sunday? Or imagine if he made it to the final group on Master's Sunday.

Panic attacks are real and one of the most frightening things you can experience.  Hard to understand if you haven't had anxiety issues.  No faulting you but you must understand they can become debilitating enough to shut your life down because you don't know when you're going to have one…and when they come it's scary like a blindfolded execution.

True his playing partners suffered through their rounds as a result of his issue, but they'll be stronger for it.  That's golf.  Nothing Beljan could do except for WD - and by the time it was serious he was on the late in the round and leading by a ton - and also fighting for his golf life.  He never exhibited slow play as a result of his condition.

And you're also suggesting his anxiety issues were a result of him leading a golf tournament - not the case.  He has won before and has been playing professional golf a long time.  He's a calm guy with some life issues going on right now.  He'll get the help he needs.

Tiger played thru vomiting food poisoning back in 2003.  He layed down on his golf bag between shots.  Threw up a couple times off camera, and had medical staff attend to him.  He had playing partners too - and like Charlie Beltran, was leading, and won.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2003Bay-tw.jpg

Edited by station2station, 10 November 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#39 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostSean2, on 10 November 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

According to Golf Channel, Mr. Beljan said he had a panic attack. It has happened before.

Yes it's happened previously - just in the recent months.  But he said never in a round of tournament golf.  I think he would WD if this becomes persistent.

#40 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I truly see both sides. Yes it's a medical issue, no he didn't slow down play. But he did have abnormal distractions going on. I would say the same thing about Tiger during your example, but that was an issue that wasn't ongoing. His playing partners had to think the guy was having a heart attack. It's one thing when a guy is having stomach issues, it's another when you're distracted because you think the guy may be dying. I still lean towards him needing to WD if this happens again during competition if his playing partners are having an important round.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 10 November 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

I still lean towards him needing to WD if this happens again during competition if his playing partners are having an important round.

I would agree.  Persistent issues becomes a liability anytime he is in your pairing.  WD would be the correct thing to do for sure.

#42 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Yup. Hopefully he finds the help he needs. I guess you could argue that fighting for your card is more pressure than a major, so maybe yesterday was as much pressure as he'll ever face and it'll be smoother sailing in his future.

#43 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

true

#44 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

If you've never had a panic attack, you have no frame of reference.  If that is the diagnosis, then it can be managed with meds.  Hope for the best.

#45 golf_fanatik

golf_fanatik

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35492
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

OK, How did he do today?  Don't have cable anymore!

#46 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

View Postgolf_fanatik, on 10 November 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

OK, How did he do today?  Don't have cable anymore!

He is still in first place at -13.  I think the second place number is -11.  Charlie shot -1 today

#47 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73232
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Oh look, a pro doing something incredible.  Must tear it down somehow.

Unreal.

#48 pcirelli

pcirelli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65717
  • Ebay ID:pcirelli
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

View Poststation2station, on 10 November 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

I still lean towards him needing to WD if this happens again during competition if his playing partners are having an important round.

I would agree.  Persistent issues becomes a liability anytime he is in your pairing.  WD would be the correct thing to do for sure.
Should Kevin Na withdrawn (gr?) from The Players last year? Should any playing partner of Tiger's withdraw b/c the crowds are distracting?
-Pete

#49 Shankopattamus

Shankopattamus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129946
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Are you guys being serious here? This guy is playing for his livelihood. Do you think he had an anxiety attack on purpose to distract his playing partners? No. Would you withdrawal potentially giving giving up over $700,000, a his full tour card? No.

Charlie is a good guy and you are making him seem like a villain to his partners if he keeps playing.

Edited by Shankopattamus, 11 November 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#50 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostShankopattamus, on 11 November 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Are you guys being serious here? This guy is playing for his livelihood. Do you think he had an anxiety attack on purpose to distract his playing partners? No. Would you withdrawal potentially giving giving up over $700,000, a his full tour card? No.

Charlie is a good guy and you are making him seem like a villain to his partners if he keeps playing.

It's your responsibility to read the entire thread when you hop in to voice your opinion.  Nobody has said he faked an anxiety attack to distract his playing partners.  We backed him up.  Maybe you should go read post #34, #39, #40.  You actually quoted some of the same things already said.

Fully understanding what you are reading is important.  Note we said "PERSISTENT  (long term) issues become a liability to his playing partners."  Not just a one time thing but ongoing...into the future - consistently having trouble during tournament play.  But we stated that this hasn't happened before in his previous tournament rounds...so unlikely.

Edited by station2station, 11 November 2012 - 11:13 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 boxerjoe2011

boxerjoe2011

Oh Billy!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93762
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostPar-A-Medic, on 09 November 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Paroxysmal super ventricular tachycardia is also a good guess

Supra-ventricular-tachycardia or SVT.  I would like to know who these medics were.  All of his symptoms are of cardiac suspicion, if he was AOX4, he can AMA, but I think he said he had no memory of the back nine on Golf Central, which leads me to believe he was altered.  I'm surprised these "medics" didn't get in some trouble for this.  Of course, we don't know what his vitals were, but still. Sketchy medicine.

#52 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wanted to chime back in with my opinion as well. I know it's a real medical issue and I hope he gets better. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy. What I'm saying is if he starts getting into high pressure situations consistently ie final pairings and starts consistently having these attacks that truly give the appearance of life endangerment, I think he should WD until he can get a handle on it. Kevin Na didn't look like he was going to die, Tiger didn't look like he was going to die. Being paired up with someone who looks like they're having heart problems, complete with constant medical supervision is beyond what his fellow competitors should have to deal with if this starts becoming a reoccurring situation. Just my opinion and people can disagree. Bottom line I don't think a guy should have to play a tournament, which has it's own distractions and pressures, and also having to worry that their playing partner looks to be jeopardizing their own health.

#53 tbowles411

tbowles411

It's Paige Ocktobur - October. You're welcome.

• 19,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1937

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

But with the win, all this is moot. Talk about a stress reliever. Definitely one of the more memorable wins on Tour.

#54 PingG10guy

PingG10guy

Major Winner

• 3,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77622
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

so does he really have a condition or is he just a country club kid who hasn't been through anything?

#55 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 11 November 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

But with the win, all this is moot. Talk about a stress reliever. Definitely one of the more memorable wins on Tour.

He played well.  Congrats to him and hopefully he uses this going forward to knock back his demons or illness.

#56 scotto69

scotto69

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70419
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Nice post, station2station.

Considering how many times players have come up short trying to win events in the last couple of years, for a player to deal with all this drama and still hold the trophy is pretty impressive.

#57 tbowles411

tbowles411

It's Paige Ocktobur - October. You're welcome.

• 19,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1937

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostPingG10guy, on 11 November 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

so does he really have a condition or is he just a country club kid who hasn't been through anything?
1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

If that doesn't qualify for huge stress, I don't know what does. Other dad's like me definitely understand. True?

#58 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

I had to clean this thread up a bit to keep this thread on some kind of track . I will take firmer actin if I have to. Please keep your posts on the topic. There is absolutely no need inject personal attacks into this conversation.

#59 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 11 November 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostPingG10guy, on 11 November 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

1. Newly married
2. 7 week old baby
3. Playing for your job

If that doesn't qualify for huge stress, I don't know what does. Other dad's like me definitely understand. True?

Well said.

#60 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4893

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

this is one of the stranger stories i've seen in a while. First the actual panic attack and then the almost unbelievable fact that he actually won the tournament despite everything. I mean how you go through that and hold it together for a win? Just a crazy story

you have to be a little concerned on some level though. Especially if it's happened before. I mean i'm sure he's under heavy stress but there a ton of people under stress like that these days. I hope he can get some help

Ping I20 9.5 w/TFC
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors