Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Club Fitting Time Machine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wetdogsmell

wetdogsmell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131448
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Two important things to know about me:
1. I have never been fitted for a driver.
2. I'm the kind of guy who refuses to pay the premium for having the latest released driver.

So... If I go somewhere to get plugged into a launch monitor, aren't they going to have me swing clubs that are basically the latest and greatest models? I'd rather buy a used 1-2 year old driver that is dirt cheap and probably offers 95% the benefits of the newest models.

If I get some numbers like swing speed etc, will that information be useful? I'm guessing it probably would be but is it much better than describing the current flight of my drives with my current club/shaft?

Ideally I would jump in a time machine and jump back a few years when todays used bargains were first released!

More details:
I'm not very good :) I shoot in the 90's
Current driver is Hibore XL 10.5 with the stock Fit-On gold shaft (cut down 1" from the butt).
I feel like i'm not getting all the distance on my drives due to high ball flight. Just seems to go 'high' not really a rising ball due to spin i'm guessing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Acurro1

Acurro1

2011, 2012 & 2013 Golf Digest Best Fitters in America

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199078
  • Ebay ID:Tony_cur
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

A professional clubfitter who operates a high quality studio will be able to get you into something that will truly enhance your game.  You say you refuse to pay high retail prices for the latest and greatest.  Retail purchases are truly a crapshoot. Unless you get to a fitter who can try multiple shafts on the same head, or vice versa, and compare them to each other based on data from a reliable launch monitor, yes you are truly spending money foolishly.  Does fitting make a difference, absolutely.  Go to a locator from the ICG international clubmakers guild, or the aGCP association of golf clubfitting professionals.  and find someone who truly kows what they are doing.

#3 wetdogsmell

wetdogsmell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

The used market is full of super cheap clubs that are 1 or 2 years old. I can't get myself to pay 2x the amount for the latest releases. Is a fitter going to have a Ping G10 head? I'm not questioning the ability of a fitter to find the perfect club for me, I just don't know if they take into consideration the limitation of budget etc...

I can't be the only weekend hacker that has faced this issue.

#4 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. I always bought year-end skis like that. Got some great racing skis that were over $1000 for $450. That was 6 years ago. Still use them and they are awesome!

#5 seasterl

seasterl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204765
  • Ebay ID:seasterl
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

You pay for the fitting and the fitters advice.  You don't have to buy their latest product.  So take the opportunity to ask which older, non-adjustable driver and shaft would best suit you and then go buy it, or buy the head and have a good club builder build it. It'll be far cheaper that way by fitting a quality titanium head suitable for you to the right shaft.  If the fitting is correct to begin with, you shouldn't "need" and adjustable head unless you just want to keep trying more shafts (which should be part of the initial fitting process, anyway!)

#6 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 475

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I feel the same about buying the latest and greatest.  However, this spring I'm going to pop for a new properly fitted driver.  Driver tech has about maxed out, so I expect this club to last for years.

#7 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16062
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Be upfront with them!  Tell them your intentions and make sure wherever you go they have a good preowned section from which to choose.  With all of that said, you'll still need to pay for the fitting which you sound a bit reluctant since it could cost more then that 2 year old driver!

Another thought is find your current driver in a lower loft. Easy fix to hitting the ball too high and you already know what to expect.  And that HiBore XL is still a phenomenal driver!

#8 wetdogsmell

wetdogsmell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Next spring I think I'll purchase a lessons package at the local course which includes a clubfitting. I doubt they use super high tech monitors but it might be fine for a chump like me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors