Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A Must Listen D-3 College Golf Blowup **Extreme Profanity Warning**

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#31 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2248

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Not really sure what the problem is. Obviously the guy was just there to motivate and inspire his players. Clearly his larger concern was these student athletes well being and success and not his own. It's also obvious that what he needed to do was dig in even deeper. Maybe talk about the one kid's dead parent being humiliated by them......in hell, or how  another kids down syndrome sister would have been a better recruit for this team. We all know that the golf team and the football team respond the exact same way to these kinds of rants. I mean before a big match in a tournament or even a highly competitive round with friends, don't we all chant it up and jump around, screaming "Come on!" to ourselves? I always play better when i can give a tree or a partner a solid headbutt preround. To me it's as important as range time. This coach understands the nuances of the game, that i can tell for sure. You don't think these kids will remember how he spoke to them the next time they have a 10 footer for a halve or need to get up and down from 155? Oh yeah, they will remember. And i haven't even mentioned the obvious. This is DIVISION 3 COLLEGIATE GOLF my friends! And when I think Div 3 College golf at Huntingdon I only think of the kind of excellence this coach demands. F***!

RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

At a D3 level, these kids are paying their own way.  Being a small private school, it may be a hefty price to pay.  They are playing because they love the game and the competition.  There is a big difference in pumping up and blowing up.  F*** him, he should know better.

#33 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

I think a lot of people commenting are under the impression that college golf isn't that serious and it's just a bunch of guys going out to have fun.  A coaches job depends on how his team plays.  Sometimes you have to go to extremes to motivate players.  I am willing to bet that there was a lot leading up to this, it wasn't just spontaneous.  I had a college coach who was a jerk I thought at the time, and he would insult us, lecture us, threaten us, anything he could do to motivate us.  Nothing he did worked, and he got fired at the end of the year because the athletics department wasn't happy with how our program was progressing.  This is these coaches livelihood and sometimes they have to go to over the line of what is in good taste in order to keep their job.  

The kid who recorded this and had it sent to Deadspin is a complete baby.  I'm guessing he's the kind of guy who would go on this site and claim to tell the coach to F off or punch him in the face, when instead he's too much of a child to do anything face to face, and instead records his coach and then sends it to Deadspin.  While the coach could be a complete jerk, it's still a complete bush league move by somebody who is going to have a hard time succeeding in this world if his skin is that thin.

#34 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Helen Waite

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Probably a bunch of cutting up about how badly they played, probably a bunch of "oh well, get 'em next time" snarkiness.  I am almost positive that no one would punch their coach in the face, or tell him to F*** off.  Close to 100% positive, in fact.

#35 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well, if he was attempting to motivate his kids in an effort to keep his job, talk about your all time backfires! No one can honestly suggest there are no other ways to motivate, discipline or inspire these kids to perform better. I am not opposed to firey angry speeches. I am opposed to going on and on in total, undeniable psychopathic meltdown mode. And let's face it, you are pretty quick to just accept the fact that these kids are under performing. We don't know these kids and what their ability is. Maybe he is a crappy recruiter?

TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#36 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Helen Waite

• 2,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Wit's end is my guess.  Probably tried the calm approach, the reverse psychology, the hand holding, the positive reinforcment, etc, etc, etc.

#37 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostSHIVAN, on 10 November 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Wit's end is my guess.  Probably tried the calm approach, the reverse psychology, the hand holding, the positive reinforcment, etc, etc, etc.

Um, I will go with "he is an unhinged Ahole" as long as we're guessing
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#38 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 10 November 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

Well, if he was attempting to motivate his kids in an effort to keep his job, talk about your all time backfires! No one can honestly suggest there are no other ways to motivate, discipline or inspire these kids to perform better. I am not opposed to firey angry speeches. I am opposed to going on and on in total, undeniable psychopathic meltdown mode. And let's face it, you are pretty quick to just accept the fact that these kids are under performing. We don't know these kids and what their ability is. Maybe he is a crappy recruiter?
They are a perennial top 10 team in D3 who finished tenth in the nationals last year.

#39 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 15,480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 2840

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Lots of thin skinned people here. That coach was a p***y cat compared to my drill instructor back in the Marine Corps. Maybe he should have served them tea and crumpets.
You can't divide the swing,
into parts,
and still have a swing.
Ernest Jones

#40 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostSean2, on 10 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

Lots of thin skinned people here. That coach was a p***y cat compared to my drill instructor back in the Marine Corps. Maybe he should have served them tea and crumpets.

Most ridiculous comparison i have ever read on any subject. Really Sean? DIII golfers are equivalent to the worlds greatest fighting force? DIII golfers collectively breaking 300 is the same as dying to protect the country? Drill Instructor's are supposed to teach from a center of fear because if you get it wrong you and your buddies die. This guy can do all the screaming he wants, he can't make it life and death by acting like a spoiled child.  You call the kids and those who criticize this lunatic "thin skinned" I call the guy out for showing an abject failure of true leadership. No, it's not the language he used nor the frequency it's the self absorbed quality of it all. He wasn't about making them better by challenging them. Dude was about himself and himself only. "Waaaah poor me! I would look better if you would just play better Waaaaaah Waaaaaah" ridiculous.

TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 15,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Kymar, my track coach in high school went on rants like this...and it was a Catholic high school. I guess times have changed...
into parts,
and still have a swing.
Ernest Jones

#42 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostSean2, on 10 November 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Kymar, my track coach in high school went on rants like this...and it was a Catholic high school. I guess times have changed...

Then he was an A hole too. You can scream and cuss and offer disgust but there is a line and this guy crossed it a couple times. Listen again, he is acting totally without concern for anything he should be concerned about. He is worrried about how he looks. The guy is a dick and got what he deserved.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#43 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 641

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I laughed my rear off.  This was great.  He just kept coming up with great lines after nearly every F bomb. lol.  I played college football and coach high school football now.  This reminds me to start watching for phones etc at half time when my team is playing like a bunch of ball-less turds.

Edited by Hstead, 10 November 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Ping i25 9.5 PWR 65 Tour X
Adams DHy 18* White Tie X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
Vokey SM5 S 54 - TVD K 58
Titleist Lightweight, Tour 330B, Ecco
Byron DH89, or Edel or Low Tide Fin

#44 TheMackDaddy

TheMackDaddy

Butyraceous

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128677
  • Ebay ID:capebretoner
GolfWRX Likes : 777

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

With his language, he kind of reminds me of Tourette's Guy from YouTube.

#45 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 15,480 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 10 November 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 10 November 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Then he was an A hole too. You can scream and cuss and offer disgust but there is a line and this guy crossed it a couple times. Listen again, he is acting totally without concern for anything he should be concerned about. He is worrried about how he looks. The guy is a dick and got what he deserved.
I did listen again. Perhaps you are correct in that he was concerned how he looked (not sure about that though), but in my experience with coaches he didn't do anything extraordinary. And, at the very end, he did say "please". :-) Perhaps I had some bad experiences.

into parts,
and still have a swing.
Ernest Jones

#46 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yeah Sean i am NOT suggesting these kids need to be handled with kid gloves, babied and given false praise and Atta Boys for playing bad or not working hard. I have played enough organized sports to know that sometimes lighting guys up is the only way to change things. If this guy has players recording what they know is coming then apparently he has used this tactic one too many times and he had lost his team already.  Challenging kids toughness and getting in their face is one thing. being a total dbag repeatedly is another.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#47 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

We still can't seem to host topics like this without multiple forum rules posting violations.
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors