Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedge Testing & Feedback Thread

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 HipCheck

HipCheck

Finally summer!

• Marshals
  • 5,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1164

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Some GolfWRXers are being provided new Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges to put through their paces.  They'll post on-course experience and feedback in this thread.

Let's keep this open until the members start posting.  Thanks!

cleveland-RTX-wedge-2013-600x4061.jpg

About the 588® RTX™ CB Wedge from Cleveland Golf
588®  RTX CB wedges combine the legendary performance of the original 588® wedge with added forgiveness and breakthrough ROTEX technology – Cleveland® Golf's most advanced spin technology ever. Features include:
  • 16% Larger Grooves. Through more precise manufacturing, these U-Grooves are 16% larger than previous Tour Zip Grooves® to promote cleaner contact and maximize spin on critical scoring shots.
  • Rougher, More Durable Laser Milling. Advanced surface roughness technology is now more durable and dimensionally optimized for even more friction at impact.
  • ROTEX Face Pattern. Directionally milled face pattern adds roughness and imparts maximum spin, especially on open-face wedge shots where impact tends to be closer to the toe.
  • Wedge Cavity Back. An undercut cavity promotes perimeter weighting for more forgiveness on off-center hits.
  • Reverse C Sole. Inspired by Cleveland® Golf's popular CG14 and CG16 wedges, this wide, constant-width sole combines heel and toe grinds to improve performance from bunkers and deep rough.
588® RTX CB wedges come in eight different lofts (46°-60°) with standard bounce in both Satin Chrome and Black Pearl finishes. Minimum advertised price (MAP) is $119.99. Women’s version is available.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 GolfMonster09

GolfMonster09

PING Staffer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141937
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Just got back from the course and had the chance to put the 588 RTX CB through 18 holes of real world testing. I will preface my review by saying that I had my backup clubs in my bag, and as a result the RTX got a little bit more use than it would on a normal day. That being said, here we go.

Looks

The 588 RTX CB is definitely a great looking wedge. The "Black Pearl" finish is fantastic. No glare at address, and it definitely stood out in my chrome plated bag of irons. The face with all the laser milled lines is not distracting at all, and overall frames the ball extremely well. Love the overall look of the club, and got a couple compliments from my playing partners on how nice it looked. The top line is not the thinnest, but also not chunky. Overall, a 9/10 in the looks department

Full Shots

On full swings, the wedge performed admirably. I had at least 5 shots with a full wedge in my hand on the course, and every one was right on target. The sound on a well struck shot was muted but still offered a click when hit. The ball flight was very high for what I am used to, but not sure if that is the design of the head or the "wedge flex" shaft that came in it, but either way I was able to flight shots low, medium and high as needed. The spin this club put on the ball was amazing. Could not believe I had Nike One Vapor Blacks backing up on the greens (not my normal ball, but I'm not going to lose 20XIs in the leaves). Full shots were between 90 and 120 yards, and the spin generated from each distance was consistent and predictable. Loved it from the fairway and the rough, but the full shots were not where this wedge shined brightest for me. 9/10 on full swings

Around the Green

Around the green again, this wedge showed amazing versatility. I found it easy to play flop shots and really throw the ball up in the air and stop quickly. Over bunkers, from the rough, from the collection areas, just an overall easy wedge to throw up high and stop it quick. For the shots that required low to medium height shots, the face/grooves put a ton of spin on the ball with short, crisp swings. I purposely mis-hit shots from the same location off the green - toward the sole, toward the toe - and the face was consistent all the way across. Obviously not as much spin as when struck in the center of the face, but not enough of a difference that I was displeased with the performance. Didn't have a single shot where the leading edge dug into the turf causing the shot to come out dead. The turf interaction all around was fantastic. Nicely weighted as well. 10/10 around the greens

Bunkers

Best part about this wedge for me BY FAR. This club has got to be the easiest club I have ever hit from a greenside bunker, hands down. As stated in my little preface, I was playing my backup sticks. Unfortunately they are weaker in the shaft department than my gamers, causing me to hit way more greenside bunkers than I normally would (5 bunkers to be exact). Each time I was in the bunker, I was able to blast out to within 5 feet or so, and made 5/5 sand saves. The ease with which this wedge cut through the sand was mind blowing. Didn't dig, didn"t skip over the top, just popped the ball out with a ton of spin and stopped the ball on a dime. I had one ball back up on a 10 yard bunker shot, and not one shot was outside of 5 feet. Best bunker performance of my season, and it's hard to say that wedge didn't make that possible. Whatever Cleveland Golf has done with this wedge, they need to keep doing it. 10/10 from the beach, would go so far as to say "This one goes to 11...

Overall Thoughts

This wedge has it all. Great looks, and the versatility to be played from anywhere on the course. From full swings to saving me when I do make a poor swing and miss the green, there is nothing this wedge can't do or won't do well. There's no way this doesn't make it into my bag, along with the 60* to match. Cleveland has hit this one out of the park, and I am grateful Cleveland Golf gave me the opportunity to test this out.

Cheers and I'm anxious to know what others think about the wedge. Hopefully they found it as amazing as I did.
WITB UNDER CONSTRUCTION

#3 longbal30

longbal30

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41632
  • Ebay ID:longbal30
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Cleveland 588 RTX Cb Wedge

I finally had a chance to get out on the course today with the new Cleveland 588 RTX Cb wedge. Cleveland and Golfwrx were nice enough to send me a new black 56* wedge with 14* bounce. Here are some of the things I found to be of interest about this wedge.

Looks
So I took it out of the box, unrapped it, and was really quite impressed with what I saw. I have had previous experiences with various other model Cleveland wedges. This model in particular had a very classy, traditional, elegant style to it. Not too busy, not too many colors going on, and the black gave it a very stealthy look. Set up was fantastic as well. Very nice profile behind the ball. After the round, the wedge still had its black appearance. I found the finish to wear very well, even though I had a field day in the bunkers, wet areas, and even hard pan on the course. 4.5 out of 5 stars

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Feel
This is where it gets interesting to me. I have found in the past that Cleveland wedges had a very light, hollow like feel to them. This wedge on the other hand had a significant heft to it. I dont have exact specs, but it feels like it would come in at a D5 or even heavier. Impact sensation also had a very dense, solid feel to it. Felt like a top quality forging to me, similar to some JDM wedges I have used in the past. Very high marks in this catagory for me. 5 out of 5 stars

Accuracy
This is one area where I feel this wedge really shines. I am just starting on a swing revamp, so there were some toe shots as well as some push/pull shots. I found these mishits very forgiving. Some shots I thought would come up short, or miss to the side of the green, still found the putting surface. Partial wedge shots, like knockdowns and pitches, came off as expected, more often than not, finding the target. I had quite a few par save opportunities and even a couple birdie chances with these wedges today. 4.5 out of 5 stars

Turf Interaction
These wedges performed excellent off a variety of lies. I played these off upslopes, downslopes, hard pan, soggy, and even out of divots. These wedges cut though the turf very well. A nice flat, dollar size divot was the norm. If I had any gripe, it would be the lack of a C grind. I think that if these wedges incorporated some sort of heel relief, they would be perfect. I love to be able to open the face up a bit off soft lies, or to take a little off of a full shot. While these performed very well, I think a grind would make them stellar.

Distance
Now distance is not something I usually look for in a wedge. I am far more concerned about consistency, than trying to bomb a wedge. That being said, these wedges are pretty long. I do not usually use a 56* wedge, but I found this model going as far as my 52* gamer. I even had a friend hit a shot with it today. He was 115 yards to the center of the green, with nothing but water between himself and the putting surface. I told him, go ahead, take a whack at it. He assured me that he could not hit a 56* wedge 115 yards. I told him, just to trust me, he would be surprised. He went ahead and hit the shot, looked up, and found himself within feet of his target. He was impressed. Now thats not to say that these wedges are distance hungry. I found them to very consistent off the face. No real hot spots. The Cb was a welcomed change for me. 5 out of 5 stars

Spin
After the groove rule went into effect, I was one of the first to make the change to conforming wedges. After spending 2 seasons now with new groove wedges, I found myself having to relearn the spin rates with these beast. I found these wedges to spin as much as previous non legal wedges. I was hitting pitch shots waiting for the one hop and roll out, and instead getting, one hop and stop shots. If spin is what you are after, look no further, these have plenty. 5 out of 5 stars.

Bunker Play
Now this was a little more difficult for me. I normally play wedges with more of a mid bounce option. 14* to me was pretty high, and the course I played had sand that was on the firmer side. Setting up in a bunker with a open face was pretty easy. There is a nice contrast in the scoring area for alignment. Now some of the full shots I had in the bunker, between 100-120 yard shots, came out as expected. The cavity came in pretty handy at this point, as my normal mis from this ranc=ge would be a bit thin. Green side explosion shots is where things got a bit tricky. With the firm conditions, I just wasnt able to get the ball up quick and soft enough to get myself out of the short side situations I put myself in. I really do think if I had a better bounce set up, this would take care of the problem though. 4 out of 5 stars.
Posted Image

Conclusion
I came out really impressed with these wedges. I am very particular about my wedge set up, since my on course performance relies heavily on my short game performance. I would even consider putting a 52/60 set up in the bag for the upcoming season. These wedges have a very nice heft to them, and a extremely solid feel at impact. Match that with the forgivness a Cb style wedge gives you and include being able to hit knockdowns on command, and you have a very deadly short game weapon. Way to go Cleveland.

Edited by longbal30, 10 November 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#4 nova6868

nova6868

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Great post, thanks. I'm in for updates.

#5 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

I heard these suckers spin like non CC wedges if not more.  Is that true? They look kinda good.

913D2 Tour AD DI 6
SLDR Mini 16 Tour AD DI 7
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW PXI 6.0
Vokey SM5 52F 56S 60S Tour Issue S400
Scotty SquareBack

#6 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35735
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

I hit an in store demo and they felt very firm...almost too hard. Definitely not forged like. To be fair though they are gorgeous to look at, and I would like an opportunity to put them through there paces outdoors at some point.
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

#7 Splitter

Splitter

The truth is out there....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63256
  • Ebay ID:salemander
GolfWRX Likes : 337

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I like to play a wedge 3-4 times before reviewing it, but with work I've only been able to take mine out once.  That said, I need to post something before GolfWRX fires me so I'd like to put a little out there.  I'll keep adding to this thread and do a formal review over the next few weeks when i have more time.

I received a black 56/14 like the other reviewers.  I usually play 50/54/58 so using the 56* RTX would add a little variety to my game.  For reviewing purposes, I'm just going to play my wedges at 50/56 and take my 54/58 out of play.  Before taking it out, I had it bent and checked the specs.  It came in at 55* which is a variance I'm pretty used to with most golf gear.  5* seemed like a good gap, so technically I'm really playing 50/55 now.

A few quick thoughts from the day;

I played Yesterday in 50* weather and tried to drop a lot of balls to get a feel for the wedge.

Accuracy:  A lot of people worry about accuracy with cast CB style wedges.  I felt like the wedge went where I wanted it to go.  Maybe better than my current wedges.  This *may* be a function of the black finish.  I seem to line things up better with black irons, but never realized it may affect wedge play before.  I didn't sink any, but buzzed the hole more than normal from the fringe.

Distance:  The RTX is like a spring on the end of a stick.  It was flying at least 10% further than my 54*.  There didn't seem to be any hot spots on it though.  No matter what shot I was using it for, it seemed to fly further than what I'm used to.

Spin:  The face of the wedge almost feels like one of those illegal over milled wedges.  It's rougher than any other wedge I've used.  That said, I'm more of a "loft it up" kind of guy and just tried to play my game so I didn't notice a ton of extra spin.  The ball did check up a few times when I wasn't expecting it to so I suspect it was spinning a touch more than I'm used to.

Trajectory:  This thing launched the ball high for me.  I don't know if it was my swing or the club, but it was going at least as high as my 58* wedge normally goes..

Finish:  The black looks good and held up great after its first round.  I can usually scratch up a finish really well on black clubs within one round.  I think I only got one ball mark on it yesterday.  If it's important to you, the face looks really cool with the extra white lines and milling.

Turf interaction:  The fall course has plenty of tight and muddy lies on the fairways.  I was really worried about the high bounce the wedge had, but it didn't negatively affect one shot.  That said, most of my approach shots from the fairway were with longer clubs, so the RTX saw more rough than fairway.

Bunker shots:  I'm not a good bunker player.  Bunker play is the reason I have my current set of wedges so I was also worried about bunker shots with the RTX.  I ended up in the bunker 3 times yesterday and only had trouble with one of them.  I was facing a 6' wall of sand so I may have been over swinging though.  From the other two bunkers the ball popped out really easy.  The kind of easy that makes me think I got lucky..  twice.  I need to play some more and drop some in the sand to test.

Summary:  It's a good wedge that's worth checking out.  It's easy to use and played well from all the lies I had.  It hits the ball high and long but was accurate up close.  I'm a little concerned about getting control of my distance.  Not because it varied, but because it's so much further than my 54* I had trouble dialing it in.  I'm sure I'll get it figured out with some more time and probably isn't a bad problem to have. :)

#8 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35735
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

cavity looks strikingly similar to the Ping S56.
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

#9 Splitter

Splitter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

joeclothing, on 12 November 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

cavity looks strikingly similar to the Ping S56.

I think it's just the pictures.  They don't look anything alike in person.  The RTX looks like what I suspect it is, a follow on model to the CG16.  If you compare the two, from the back, it looks like they took a CG16, reduced the cavity a little and put damper in it.

I had the CG16s and liked them but these feel better.  I'm not sure if it's the new face, the new cavity or a combination of both.  Either way it doesn't look or feel like an S56.

#10 jjl

jjl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4664
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

curious about this wedge, but wondering why Cleveland went with 14* as the only bounce offering on the 56*, seems like a lot of bounce.  will still be checking out the wedge regardless.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5*
Taylor Made JetSpeed Rescue 22*
Taylor Made SLDR 4-AW
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*, 56*, 60*
Taylor Made Project (a)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 longbal30

longbal30

Major Winner

• 2,038 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

joeclothing, on 12 November 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

I hit an in store demo and they felt very firm...almost too hard. Definitely not forged like. To be fair though they are gorgeous to look at, and I would like an opportunity to put them through there paces outdoors at some point.

Wedges feel fantastic on center strikes. I play forges blades primarily, and I would say that these feel equally as good as anything out there. Try using the wedge outside in the grass, I am thinking you may be catching it a bit thin due to the mats.

#12 longbal30

longbal30

Major Winner

• 2,038 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

driverwedge3putt, on 12 November 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

I heard these suckers spin like non CC wedges if not more.  Is that true? They look kinda good.

Definately spin more than anything I have used since old grooves. These remind me of Mack Daddy grooves.

#13 Splitter

Splitter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

jjl, on 12 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

curious about this wedge, but wondering why Cleveland went with 14* as the only bounce offering on the 56*, seems like a lot of bounce.  will still be checking out the wedge regardless.

I agree.  When it showed up I went and looked at the specs.  Was surprised to see that's all they offered and I really thought it was going to give me trouble.

The sole looks pretty "normal" to me (i.e., not extended, no weird bumps or cavity's, etc..) and from their literature, it appears that the sole design is the same or very similar to the CG16.  That said, they did fine for me from lies where I expected the bounce to be an issue so I'm not sure if they tweaked it a little to make it friendlier or if my wedge play has just gotten better. :)

#14 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

It's been really cold lately, but I'm planning to go out and play 18 tomorrow. should have something up shortly!

#15 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Just got done with 18 holes today and was super impressed with this wedge.  Like everyone else, I received the 588 CB RTX wedge in 56/14.  My wedge setup is currently 46/51/56/60, and the 56 for me is usually reserved for bump and runs, pitches and full shots.  My 60 does most of the heavy lifting around the greens, though. Thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland Golf for allowing me to test this wedge. They put my name on the hosel, what a nice surprise!  What a great website this is.

Quickly about me: 25 years old grad school student, 5 handicap, pride myself on the strength of my short game, specially wedge play and chipping. solid iron player, and an extremely mediocre driver of the ball. Basically, short game is where I score.

Looks: This is great looking wedge.  My entire playing group commented on how they liked the look of it.  The black pearl finish is fantastic, and no glare is a huge bonus.  Even though this is a cavity back wedge, I didn't feel like the wedge head was large or clunky looking.  It framed the ball perfectly.  I grew up playing 588 wedges and I really like the classic head shape of these.

Feel: As longbal said, I really liked how substantial and the heft of this wedge, as I prefer a heavier wedge.  Contact also felt very solid and never hollow.

Chips: I was able to hit 2 chips with it today and I'll just say I got up and down both times, despite almost no practice time with it prior to the round.  It was great off tight lies as well.  14* of bounce might scare some people off, but I didn't mind it at all.

Full Shots: I think this is where this wedge might possibly shine, with the cavity weighting and such.  By design, this wedge is gonna be more forgiving than your typical wedge.  I only had a chance to hit one full shot with this wedge but man was it a beauty.  Third shot on a par 5, 96 yards with a 10mph breeze in my face.  The ball (Penta) one hopped, stopped, and spun back a couple feet back to 8 feet left of the hole pin high.  Unfortunately I missed the putt cause I suck.  But the point is, these wedges seem to spin like the old nonconforming wedges from the fairway.

In conclusion, I think Cleveland has a winner on there hands.  I was extremely impressed after my round today.  I look forward to playing around with it on the course and the practice area next time.  Once I reshaft it with KBS Tour Wedge shaft, it most likely will go into the bag.  My 60* is also about ready to be replaced and I am strongly considering getting a matching 60* RTX CB when they become available.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me or you can ask it here. Thanks!

#16 hef63303

hef63303

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9365
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

jjl, on 12 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

The blade version will have more bounce options.

#17 Jamboy72

Jamboy72