Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

How to build an intimidating bag of clubs

158 replies to this topic

#61 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1123

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

I think I'm set

Taylormade SLDR Kiyoshi
Taylormade SLDR 3W
Taylormade UDI
Callaway Apex Pro 4-A
Titliest Vokey SM5 54 & 60
Bettinardi BB1F

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4536

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Well, I have a Ping Hoofer...
Hey...be nice.

#63 boxerjoe2011

boxerjoe2011

Oh Billy!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93762
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostBad9, on 09 November 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

The best players I have ever seen and played with had bags nothing like this. Most of them used GI or even SGI irons, used the OEM headcovers and generally everything that stock in their clubs.

Sorry dude, but you haven't played with many good players.  Go a to college tournament and find me a bag full of SGI irons, haha.

#64 boxerjoe2011

boxerjoe2011

Oh Billy!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93762
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 09 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

DG shafts are a must, especially if you have them in your FW woods......Also I would recommend a fresh set of cord grips, all matching, a Playa needs fresh quality cord grips on his beat up bag O sticks.  Don't forget balls and gloves, a real player only uses Footjoy or Titleist tour gloves, no synthetic materials allowed only cabretta leather, and a Pro V1x of course.  Having an old shag bag full of ProV's is a nice touch around the practice area as well, playas know that you should only practice with the balls you use on the course as the trajectory of your chips and pitches is different with a range ball or a Pinnacle.  Finally wear an old faded sweat stained visor, not the latest Puma flat billed hat, it should be from a charity scramble you played in 3 years ago when you were begged to be the A-player.
Your towel should be an old tattered dirt stained white towel that you stole from the Holiday Inn you were staying at while playing in a local or state tournament.  Under no circumstances should you use a golf towel with the shower curtain hook on it, use a real towel for goodness sakes.  And please...if you use a putter cover make sure it isn't some fancy $300 special issue Cameron cover, the old faded one that came with the putter 5 years ago will work, if not some random one you pulled out of the lost and found at the local muni.

Haha classic.  Especially the towel comment.

#65 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

View Postboxerjoe2011, on 09 November 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

View PostBad9, on 09 November 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

The best players I have ever seen and played with had bags nothing like this. Most of them used GI or even SGI irons, used the OEM headcovers and generally everything that stock in their clubs.

Sorry dude, but you haven't played with many good players.  Go a to college tournament and find me a bag full of SGI irons, haha.

+1. I played with the top ranked am's in Az a few weeks ago. None had SGI. Ap2's, TMAG blades and Mizzy.

Taylormade SLDR Kiyoshi
Taylormade SLDR 3W
Taylormade UDI
Callaway Apex Pro 4-A
Bettinardi BB1F

#66 R Hagan

R Hagan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118170
  • Handicap:fore
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

fantastic read
Razr Fit 10.5
V-Steel 15*; MP Fli Hi 21* & 24*
MP-60 5-PW
XFT 52*, 56*, 60*
White Hot #8 Custom

#67 jeffblack373

jeffblack373

Rookie

• 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23603
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

Great article!  You hit the nail on the head and I have always loved the look of those TM V-Steel fairways.

I think the one thing you left out is:  They have a sleeve or two of unused Titleist Professional balls sitting around which they long to play but are afraid to put a smiley on because once the best balls every made are gone from their hands....THEY ARE GONE.

Here is what I game (I play to a 3 now due to my 7 to 5 job and family but used to be scratch).
Ping hoofer I have used since about 2000.

Rocketballz 3 wood but the first thing I did earlier this year was put my old collegiate headcover on it.  I do keep around an old Callaway Warbird 3 wood which I've used since '98-'99 and occasionally put back in the back.  I trust it more but enjoy technology and the length of the rocketballz.

Taylormade R11 driver (not the S).  I do have an older Fuji Rombax V series shaft in it though.  (you don't see many of these around and people always ask about it with the graphics).

Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura Mallet (I got in 2005).  I have had about a dozen putters (many SCs, betti, method, 2ball) over the last 5 years and nothing every knocks this out of the bag for more than a week.  I must say, if you ever see people with the TeI3s or Pro Plat.  They are either 1) a gamer 2) once a gamer until family 3) SC fan with a minimal 10 other SCs and this is the one they pulled out "that day"

Wedges:  Vokey but I did try out the TM ATV wedges this year since I am in need of new grooves.

Dirty old white towel (of which I have 3 in my rotation).  True players will go back after these if left on the last hole.  Once a good one is in rotation you can't lose it.

Always, always an old Crown Royal bag for random items (few favorite ball markers, sharpie, OTC meds, etc.)  No one wants to dig around for that stuff or lost them out of the small hole forming in the old hoofer bag.

Edited by jeffblack373, 10 November 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#68 jeffblack373

jeffblack373

Rookie

• 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23603
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thinking about it more, this article is only bad for me.  People will be buying the used MP-60s on the For Sale forum here and E-bay and I won't be able to get a backup set when I wear the grooves out in mine.

#69 jwolfe15

jwolfe15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199770
  • Ebay ID:jwolfehuskers
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

no offense but this was one of the worst articles I have seen. Why would someone care so much about LOOKING like they are a scratch player (not that it matters what your bag looks like). So you're saying to throw your poser staff bag away to get a stand bag to pose as a scratch golfer?! I don't get it. As far as the clubs go-this is basically saying that you should go out and buy some p.o.s. clubs because if you have new clubs then that means you are no good. Now I know he said there are certain exceptions to all these rules, but are their really people out there that care that much about what other people think of their equipment? I have a brand new putter with no dings on it and i'd bet that i can make just as many putts as your 100 year old ping. it gets really old listening to the "better than thou" commentary on this website. If you suck then you suck, having a bag that looks "cool" does just the opposite. rant over.

#70 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 922

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postjwolfe15, on 10 November 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

...I don't get it...

Obviously not. You should put this on your Christmas gifts list:
Posted Image

NOT a Good Player, can't break 70 ;)
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Cally XHP 4I - 5I | X-Forged 6I - PW
Cally Forged 54* | Scotty Del Mar
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 j.lapp

j.lapp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125532
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hilarious. Great job, I loved this!
Titleist 909 9.5
Titleist 909 15.5
Nickent 4DX 23
Mizuno MP53
Nike VR Pro Forged 52, 56, 60DS
Scotty Cameron Circa '62 #3

#72 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

no offense but this was one of the worst articles I have seen. Why would someone care so much about LOOKING like they are a scratch player (not that it matters what your bag looks like). So you're saying to throw your poser staff bag away to get a stand bag to pose as a scratch golfer?! I don't get it. As far as the clubs go-this is basically saying that you should go out and buy some p.o.s. clubs because if you have new clubs then that means you are no good. Now I know he said there are certain exceptions to all these rules, but are their really people out there that care that much about what other people think of their equipment? I have a brand new putter with no dings on it and i'd bet that i can make just as many putts as your 100 year old ping. it gets really old listening to the "better than thou" commentary on this website. If you suck then you suck, having a bag that looks "cool" does just the opposite. rant over.

I think the satryical nature of the article soared far over your head friend...

#73 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4893

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostGolfjunki71, on 09 November 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

I think I'm set

with the amount of clubs you have you probably could build this exact bag with the stuff in your closet :rofl:
Ping I20 9.5 w/TFC
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#74 justgolf13

justgolf13

justgolf13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99991
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Awesome,  I have to ditch brand new headcovers for cb201's, ditch the limited srixon shark bag and pull out my buttonback and put in my old tei3. At least my R7 superquad and adams low profile 3 & 5  protos with 757's look the part. I like the knit headcovers but old vintage leather headcovers for fairways tend to be old school.

#75 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

For an intimating bag I carry a Samurai Sword, and shoot in the 70s with Sam Sneed Blue Ridge irons.

#76 ILBrad`

ILBrad`

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198488
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the advice, haha.  I'll stick with my cart bag and iron covers. I like my clubs i spent my hard earned $ on to look good. I do have the 910 though

#77 TheMackDaddy

TheMackDaddy

Butyraceous

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128677
  • Ebay ID:capebretoner
GolfWRX Likes : 793

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

Too funny and so true. The best putter I ever played with had a beat up slant neck ping anser. He was about a 2 handicap and he worked full time, but man he could putt. I played with him twice and both times he put on the most incredible display of putting (and I consider myself a freak at putting) in both rounds he made every single putt inside 10 feet,no three putts, and all his lags were within 2 feet. He had mizzy mp63's and older title isn't woods but his only real talent was putting. He must have had like 23 putts per round each time. Super modest too.

Strangely enough I often see him on the putting green (never the range) and he is always doing the ladder drill MISSING putt after putt. Really strange.

#78 MattTheTaff

MattTheTaff

Oh, I used to be disgusted.. and now I try to be amused

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153093
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

MtlJeff has been looking in my bag again. I thought I saw him last week lurking in the woods while I took a wicked piss on the 12th.
Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5
Titleist 904f - 17
PING i20 Hybrid - 20
Mizuno MP37 - 3-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 54/60
Wilson Staff 8882

#79 pdaero

pdaero

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

Sounds pretty similar to me! Older driver, 3 wood and hybrid, Mizuno blades, older Vokey, and match of Scotty AND old PING - a PING Anser Milled putter. Favorite one I've ever tried!
TI TMAG R510TP 9* w/ MFS 65
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
PING Anser Milled 0 34"
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400

#80 Craglyboy

Craglyboy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190252
  • Ebay ID:Craglyboy
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Taylormade r7 regripped
Ping i3 3 wood
Titleist 906f2
Mizuno mp58
Voley wedges
Scotty putter

And ping hoofer bag!!

I'm a boss!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 R Hagan

R Hagan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118170
  • Handicap:fore
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

+1
Razr Fit 10.5
V-Steel 15*; MP Fli Hi 21* & 24*
MP-60 5-PW
XFT 52*, 56*, 60*
White Hot #8 Custom

#82 ronniemac

ronniemac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177174
  • Ebay ID:Mangydecrepit
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

I am 70 on disability with little play money so I usually make my own clubs. I recently acquired a set of burner 1.0 steel shafted irons cut off to ladies lengths. I started to put in extenders and noticed the 8 shaft was different. I found a new set of burner 2.0 shafts standard length. I hit them in the hosel because they are 1" longer so I am thinking of butt cutting to specs but the step pattern seems to be off from the originals meaning where it was tipped from. Any suggestions here? The specs on the heads are almost identical.

Attached Files

#83 KCCO

KCCO

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 09 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

DG shafts are a must, especially if you have them in your FW woods......Also I would recommend a fresh set of cord grips, all matching, a Playa needs fresh quality cord grips on his beat up bag O sticks.  Don't forget balls and gloves, a real player only uses Footjoy or Titleist tour gloves, no synthetic materials allowed only cabretta leather, and a Pro V1x of course.  Having an old shag bag full of ProV's is a nice touch around the practice area as well, playas know that you should only practice with the balls you use on the course as the trajectory of your chips and pitches is different with a range ball or a Pinnacle.  Finally wear an old faded sweat stained visor, not the latest Puma flat billed hat, it should be from a charity scramble you played in 3 years ago when you were begged to be the A-player.
Your towel should be an old tattered dirt stained white towel that you stole from the Holiday Inn you were staying at while playing in a local or state tournament.  Under no circumstances should you use a golf towel with the shower curtain hook on it, use a real towel for goodness sakes.  And please...if you use a putter cover make sure it isn't some fancy $300 special issue Cameron cover, the old faded one that came with the putter 5 years ago will work, if not some random one you pulled out of the lost and found at the local muni.
Love the towel bit.....casino towels make great bag towels! Get a few each visit, makes up for my contributions.... but I'm now a poser as I just started to build a new bag this season, as my ping zing 2's don't give me playability other irons do 15 years later, and the r7425 is just falling to pieces, but my 588's are here to stay......so when you see me with my carry bag, with r11s, mc's that look like they've been through a war after one northeast short season, just punch me.....but always CARRY my old ogio, we won't talk about putters as I can't settle (but def not a long stick), and 17 yards? Shouldn't everyone have one?!?! Lol JK, i play a 2.0v2......oh and no, you can't borrow my umbrella...that thing cost me 2 rounds;)  (sarcasm, no umbrella)
But enjoyed this article, good job zak.....but one thing I do find true, don't see many good players driving a cart or rocking iron covers...and I have a question.....is there anyone on here, lower single digit who drinks while they play? Just curious...don't see how u can take any bit of game seriously while boozing it up...it's 3 hours, wait til ur done.....cause it's usually that wasted weekender screaming at his 4 footer like he just won the masters I can hear 3 holes behind me in the middle of my back swing who can get a swift kick in the pro-v's:)
SLDR 430 11* Ahina
913F Matrix 7m3
712u,TM Proto hybrids Matrix Ozik Altus
3-pw MP64 C-Taper S
Scotty NP2, asst'd Nike kicks, prov1
Cleveland 588 O.G.  52,56,60 KBS Black

#84 Tough

Tough

Andy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201629
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Great read... look good, play good!!

#85 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1785

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

One of the guys on my team from this past weekend is a 7 cap and I kid you not this is his bag and gear that he used on Saturday.

Attached Thumbnails

• jkjkjkkj.jpg
  • jkiu.jpg

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#86 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 955

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Those club dividers are baller

#87 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4893

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

you know a driver is baller aswell when it says "driver" on it. And spells out "loft"

i have a friend that has a wedge that says "50yds and in"

shot selection advice written on the club= baller
Ping I20 9.5 w/TFC
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#88 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 10 November 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

View PostGolfjunki71, on 09 November 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

I think I'm set

with the amount of clubs you have you probably could build this exact bag with the stuff in your closet :rofl:

You're actually right.

Edited by Golfjunki71, 11 November 2012 - 11:00 PM.

Taylormade SLDR Kiyoshi
Taylormade SLDR 3W
Taylormade UDI
Callaway Apex Pro 4-A
Bettinardi BB1F

#89 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1785

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 11 November 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

you know a driver is baller aswell when it says "driver" on it. And spells out "loft"

LOL @ 50yds and in that's funny!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#90 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 11 November 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

I do that on my putter . It says " greens only"

Taylormade SLDR Kiyoshi
Taylormade SLDR 3W
Taylormade UDI
Callaway Apex Pro 4-A
Bettinardi BB1F

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors