Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

How to build an intimidating bag of clubs

158 replies to this topic

#31 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

So let me get this straight. Old headcovers- Old Daphne Cardinal (there's a reason), Rocket Tour ( wearing in a couple spots) on the 4 wood ( a gift), and the 7 has no headcover. Plus, I hate hybrids! I'm good. Ping Hoofer Red, White and Blue bag ( a very special gift that will be used until it collapses). I walk, a lot. Good again. Replaced the old BeCu 57.5 with the new XGs. Replaced the old G10 with a G20 and bought I15s to replace the Eye2s. Handicap (8) did not go down one bit. Now, what was I thinking? Glad this all got straightened out. Now I'm stuck with being a 'poser'. LOL Great post, loved it!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

The best players I have ever seen and played with had bags nothing like this. Most of them used GI or even SGI irons, used the OEM headcovers and generally everything that stock in their clubs.
Ping G25 10.5/Graman UL440 r flex
Founders Forged Ti 4w//Xcaliber FW
KE4 3h&5h/Xcaliber HY regular flex
i15 5-U/Xcaliber regular flex
Gorge 54&58/Xcaliber regular flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

#33 jp5612

jp5612

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34742
  • Ebay ID:jp5612
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

This has to be one of the most astute observations about golf ever written.  However, our writer missed just a few.

Let's consider, for example, ball retrievers. Only posers carry ball retrievers, right?  WRONG!!  The secret is to tie some fishing line on the end.  You get credibility points if you have a hand-tied lure on the end of the line. Should you ever block one into the river that runs along the right side of that tight par 5, just smile, take out your retriever and say, "I can probably flop it out of the water. While I'm there, I think I'll see if I can bag a few trout."

Lob wedges:  Jack Nicklaus wouldn't know a lob wedge from a 9-wood.  Anything in your bag over 56 degrees (54 for real players) shows your opponents you don't have all the shots. Anything over 60 degrees indicates you had rather be at Five Guys than on the golf course.

Rangefinders/ GPS devices:  Sam Snead eyeballed yardage. If that was good enough for him, it should be good enough for you. Give your GPS device to your kid and tell her to use it to find her way home if you get tied up at the course and forget to pick her up at school.  Also, it makes you look "manly" on those rare occasions where small hills and valleys make the green appear farther away than it is and you nail a 3-iron from 145.

Rain suits: Do you think Old Tom Morris wore Footjoy's latest?  Golf is about being one with nature. If someone should open the side pocket of your golf bag, all he should find is a can of Spam and a 6-pack of Bud (bonus points for Pabst Blue Ribbon).  Man up and play it the way God gives it to you.

Add these little nuggets to the advice given by the author and no one will ever mistake you for Danny Duffer again -- at least until you take that first swing.

Edited by jp5612, 09 November 2012 - 10:29 AM.

Handicap: 5
Ping G30 9*, set to 8.4*, TFC 419 S
G30 3w, G25 4w, both stock stiff
Ping G25 hybrids,17/ 20/23*, stock stiff
Callaway X2Hot, 6-PW, Stock S
Coming soon: Cleveland Tour Rack 56/60

#34 rpm300

rpm300

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77251
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

How does this bag measure up?

Attached Thumbnails

• golfwrx pics 001.jpg

Callaway FT Tour Aldila VooDoo XVS6
RBZ Tour Stage 2 3hl  Black Tie X
Taylornade Tour Preferred T-D 3-PW  S300
Mizuno MP T4 505458 S300
Rife 2 Bar Hybrid putter 34"

#35 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1785

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

"Let's consider, for example, ball retrievers. Only posers carry ball retrievers, right?  WRONG!!  The secret is to tie some fishing line on the end.  You get credibility points if you have a hand-tied lure on the end of the line. Should you ever block one into the river that runs along the right side of that tight par 5, just smile, take out your retriever and say, "I can probably flop it out of the water. While I'm there, I think I'll see if I can bag a few trout.""

Three words...Ronco Pocket Fisherman!

"If someone should open the side pocket of your golf bag, all he should find is a can of Spam and a 6-pack of Bud (bonus points for Pabst Blue Ribbon)."

Add a baggie of bacon! Check that, skip the bag and throw some bacon in there, extra credit for grass and dirt sticking to it. P.B.R. you got me on that, but extra credit it they are pull off tabs and in a real TIN Metal can with a little rust on the bottom to show you are a connoisseur of the finer things in life!

Edited by Kadin 25, 09 November 2012 - 08:39 AM.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#36 Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118737
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hmmm, best player I know plays either an R11S or Adams 9064LS, with a football club head cover (Tottenham Hotspurs)
I think he has an old Adams 3 wood. Has a green shaft it it.
Plays Mizuno Mp67s, S300s.
Think he has a CG15, and a Nicklaus Spin Slot
Uses a Yes! Putter.

#37 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

jp5612, on 09 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

This has to be one of the most astute observations about golf ever written.  However, our writer missed just a few.

Let's consider, for example, ball retrievers. Only posers carry ball retrievers, right?  WRONG!!  The secret is to tie some fishing line on the end.  You get credibility points if you have a hand-tied lure on the end of the line. Should you ever block one into the river that runs along the right side of that tight par 5, just smile, take out your retriever and say, "I can probably flop it out of the water. While I'm there, I think I'll see if I can bag a few trout."

Lob wedges:  Jack Nicklaus wouldn't know a lob wedge from a 9-wood.  Anything in your bag over 56 degrees (54 for real players) shows your opponents you don't have all the shots. Anything over 60 degrees indicates you had rather be at Five Guys than on the golf course.

Rangefinders/ GPS devices:  Sam Snead eyeballed yardage. If that was good enough for him, it should be good enough for you. Give your GPS device to your kid and tell her to use it to find her way home if you get tied up at the course and forget to pick her up at school.  Also, it makes you look "manly" on those rare occasions where small hills and valleys make the green appear closer than it is and you nail a 3-iron from 145.

Rain suits: Do you think Old Tom Morris wore Footjoy's latest?  Golf is about being one with nature. If someone should open the side pocket of your golf bag, all he should find is a can of Spam and a 6-pack of Bud (bonus points for Pabst Blue Ribbon).  Man up and play it the way God gives it to you.

Add these little nuggets to the advice given by the author and no one will ever mistake you for Danny Duffer again -- at least until you take that first swing.

LOL. That's how to write satire.
Ping G25 10.5/Graman UL440 r flex
Founders Forged Ti 4w//Xcaliber FW
KE4 3h&5h/Xcaliber HY regular flex
i15 5-U/Xcaliber regular flex
Gorge 54&58/Xcaliber regular flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

#38 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Duffers worry about 'intimidating' through any means other than their game. Enough said.

#39 middie8

middie8

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15476
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

anth, on 09 November 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

You'll also need a generic non brand name towell to cover the clubs so as to stop your opponent seeing what iron you just hit

You have to compliment the Ping stand bag with a white towel draped over the back.  With dirt on one side of it cause playas keep their clubs clean.

#40 D-Fuzz

D-Fuzz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197468
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

This may be satire, but it isn't too far off the mark.  I played with a guy a couple years ago, shows up on the first tee wearing jeans and some old ratty DryJoys.  His bag of clubs looks like a mish-mash of bargain bin leftovers - 8* GB Bertha driver, Steelhead 3-wood, X-14 Pro irons, a rusty Cleveland 56* wedge and a Odyssey Rossie putter, no headcovers, all in an old Ping Hoofer bag.  His swing looked like some kind of painful Yoga pose.  I think he shot 67 or 68.

Driver: Ping i20 9*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher FL 17*
Hybrid: Adams A12 Pro 20*
Irons: Ping Anser 4-PW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X 6
Wedges: Ping Anser 52*/56*, Nike VRev 60

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Did the article forget about the guy who has 4 beaten to hell looking gloves attached to his bag...im sure we've all played with that guy
hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#42 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

sblack5, on 09 November 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Did the article forget about the guy who has 4 beaten to hell looking gloves attached to his bag...im sure we've all played with that guy
In my case, that's four years worth. If I can't see my finger tips, they still have a little life left in them.

(This thread may finally give the courage to show my WITB like the rest of my WRX mod brethren).

#43 wolfpack

wolfpack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89944
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

So you're saying i have to walk?  What if I get tired, hungry, and sober after the 3rd hole?
Cobra Bio Cell 12* White Tie 6x3
RBZ Tour 5 Rip Beta 80X 17.5*
Ping G10 Hybrid 21* Steelfiber 80s
Ping Eye 2+ BECU 5-PW JZ stiff
TM Rac 58 Y/ Eye 2+ SW
Ping Scottsdale TR Anser T

#44 Colby327

Colby327

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31622
  • Handicap:7.3
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Well written and funny article.    Great Friday morning read!
Titleist 913D3 Kiyoshi Purple
Callaway XHP 15*  VTS Silver
Adams IDEA a12 19*  VTS Silver
Ping S56  DGTI X100
Scratch 1018 50DD, TVD 56K & 60K
Byron 612 TCB
WITB Link

#45 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• 6,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 672

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

DG shafts are a must, especially if you have them in your FW woods......Also I would recommend a fresh set of cord grips, all matching, a Playa needs fresh quality cord grips on his beat up bag O sticks.  Don't forget balls and gloves, a real player only uses Footjoy or Titleist tour gloves, no synthetic materials allowed only cabretta leather, and a Pro V1x of course.  Having an old shag bag full of ProV's is a nice touch around the practice area as well, playas know that you should only practice with the balls you use on the course as the trajectory of your chips and pitches is different with a range ball or a Pinnacle.  Finally wear an old faded sweat stained visor, not the latest Puma flat billed hat, it should be from a charity scramble you played in 3 years ago when you were begged to be the A-player.
Your towel should be an old tattered dirt stained white towel that you stole from the Holiday Inn you were staying at while playing in a local or state tournament.  Under no circumstances should you use a golf towel with the shower curtain hook on it, use a real towel for goodness sakes.  And please...if you use a putter cover make sure it isn't some fancy $300 special issue Cameron cover, the old faded one that came with the putter 5 years ago will work, if not some random one you pulled out of the lost and found at the local muni.

Edited by dlygrisse, 09 November 2012 - 10:35 AM.

Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#46 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 922

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

dlygrisse, on 09 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

.. Finally wear an old faded sweat stained visor, not the latest Puma flat billed hat, it should be from a charity scramble you played in 3 years ago when you were begged to be the A-player...

Oh yes! This 1000 times. It works for everything from golf, to slopitch, to hiking, to driving a convertible. If you do not have some knackered beat to hell cap on you are obviously just a weekend warrior. Played Blackhorse in Monterey with a 50 something fella and before I found out he was a member at Olympic or watched him shoot two over on the front, the beat up cap tipped me off.
NOT a Good Player, can't break 70 ;)
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Cally XHP 4I - 5I | X-Forged 6I - PW
Cally Forged 54* | Scotty Del Mar
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#47 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 12,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2924

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Written by one of our own, guys. Can you guess who?
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
PING Anser Milled #2
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#48 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'm skeered. Think I'll give up the game right now!

#49 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 955

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Good article.  But i'll stick with my "ugly" cast clubs.

From my perspective, it's easier to pick out the scratch golfers by their demeanor, the gate in their walk, and what they wear.

Guys I'm most afriad of (and I'm a 1 hdcp):  Guy in his mid to early 40's,  Andy Dufresne no-care-in-the-world type of slow walk, smile on his face, legs tanner than my wifes with white feet, pleated Bobby Jones (or Ashworth) khaki shorts and NON dri-fit shirt...that looks like Tin Cup...possibly smoking and/or hungover.

Don't play them for money...ever.

Edited by somaplr, 09 November 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#50 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I think it would more intimidating to have a Scotty with NO headcover.  That would imply that it's just one of the tools.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 justodd

justodd

Chief

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61311
  • Ebay ID:vw_rocks99
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Or guys who played in college and their bag is still identical 5+ years later.

#52 GolfMonster09

GolfMonster09

I've chili-dipped the wedge...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141937
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Next time you are going to a piece about my bag and setup, I would appreciate you asking me first... :beee:

Edited by GolfMonster09, 09 November 2012 - 02:23 PM.

WITB UNDER CONSTRUCTION

#53 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 955

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

rpm300, on 09 November 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

How does this bag measure up?

Are you a "prepper" and just want your bag to survive a nuclear holocaust or what?

That's sooooo totally horrible it's almost awesome.

Edited by somaplr, 09 November 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#54 mmack067

mmack067

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78804
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

This. Is. Awesome.

Great write up haha
Titleist 913 D2 - Oban Kyoshi Purple 65X
Callaway XHot Pro - Project X pxv 6.5
Titleist 910H 17 - Project X 7.0
Titleist 712CB 4-PW - X100
Vokey SM4 50*, Vokey CC 54*, 58*
2012 Scotty Cameron Select Newport

#55 Tarkata

Tarkata

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181780
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

I liked the part about the headcovers most.
I don't have any of the sock type...how did I miss that one?
I have this thing about Japanese made wedges & irons though - kinda pretentious I guess

You would take my money with your sock monkeys help.. :(

Mizuno MP630 FT 10.5*
TM 300 Series 15*
Hogan Apex II 3-PW (1983)
Mizuno MP-R Blk Ni 52* & 56*
Odyssey White Hot XG 2

#56 GolfSwine

GolfSwine

the_high_draw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172627
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

This is the best article I have read in a while. Well played sir.

#57 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4896

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

MadGolfer76, on 09 November 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

well since no one guessed....i suppose i will. Ummmm, me? (is that right? i drink a lot and sometimes forget the things i do)

Im glad people got the satire and mostly liked it. Thanks for the feedback fellas!
Ping I20 9.5 w/TFC
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#58 jp5612

jp5612

• 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34742
  • Ebay ID:jp5612
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

MtlJeff, on 09 November 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

MadGolfer76, on 09 November 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

well since no one guessed....i suppose i will. Ummmm, me? (is that right? i drink a lot and sometimes forget the things i do)

Im glad people got the satire and mostly liked it. Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Great work!!!
Handicap: 5
Ping G30 9*, set to 8.4*, TFC 419 S
G30 3w, G25 4w, both stock stiff
Ping G25 hybrids,17/ 20/23*, stock stiff
Callaway X2Hot, 6-PW, Stock S
Coming soon: Cleveland Tour Rack 56/60

#59 anth

anth

PINGED

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22863
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Well done mtljeff!

Can I just add that I think a hybrid is acceptable in this bag under certain circumstances:

It must replace the 2 iron only - nothing higher than 20 degrees, but 18 and 19 preferred.

It must have a graphite shaft of at least 105 grams.
PING G25 10.5
Mizuno JPX 825 Hybrid 16
PING G25 Hybrid 20
PING i25 4 - PW
PING Tour Gorge 50+58, Cally X Forged 54
Odyssey White Ice #7

#60 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

if someone told me to build an intimidating bag, it would be

titleist 905r
titleist 906f2 or taylormade burner 07'
original adams idea pro hybrid
mizuno mp33's with rust spots
cleveland 588's
old putter

Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors