Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Tiger and Rory sit down interview and laugh at Faldo

96 replies to this topic

#1 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1403

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Found this while reading up on CNN.  Watch the video and what is most interesting is the question about Faldo and they both look at each other and bust out laughing like Faldo is an inside joke.
http://www.cnn.com/v...?iref=allsearch

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Golf Monkey

Golf Monkey

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71891
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Faldo has been interviewed on Sky Sports in England today.  He questioned the wisdom of McIlroy's change of equipment manufacturer.  He said a loss of feel with the new clubs may lead to a loss of confidence and that obviously the change was money driven

#3 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2416

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Of course it was money driven.  I doubt anyone can deny that with a straight face.  Not even Mr. and Mrs. Woods there.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#4 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,623 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

They are professional's hence they play for money.  When people comment "they're only doing it for the money" it's kind of like no sh.t sherlock
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#5 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,771 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Still, I find it very odd that such a respectful and seemingly "gets it" lad such as Rory would laugh and mock a knighted 6 time major winner.

Maybe money is changing him....Maybe Tiger is changing him....Maybe this is the "real" Rory and we've  all been buffaloed...

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#6 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 983

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Pretty interesting interview....and a little surprising.   I can't really remember Tiger being interviewed with another player.

I'm kind of feeling that a historical parallel to the Tiger/Rory friendship would be Nicklaus/Watson back in the mid-70s when Tom Watson started playing really well and challenging Jack.   Jack took him under his wing a little bit and they had some pretty good battles for a few years.  

I think it's pretty obvious that this isn't a contrived friendship but that Tiger actually respects and likes Rory.  Good for golf.

They don't seem to think much of Faldo's comments.....
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#7 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• 6,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostVindog, on 08 November 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Still, I find it very odd that such a respectful and seemingly "gets it" lad such as Rory would laugh and mock a knighted 6 time major winner.

Maybe money is changing him....Maybe Tiger is changing him....aybe this is the "real" Rory and we've  all been buffaloed...
\

I don't, while many respect Faldo's playing record I don't think there are too many players who have ever really like him on a personal level.  Now that he is a commentator and his job is to criticize players like Rory and Tiger I don't think there is much love going on.  To get to the level these 3 are at there has to be a lot of pride and arrogance, quite frankly I am surprised they are not more outspoken against him.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#8 Gone Right

Gone Right

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168139
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

I don't think Faldo has too many friends in the game on either side of the Atlantic, and is viewed as a bit of a dinosaur with a fondness for the sound of his own voice.  Any residual popularity or respect he might have had amongst the current generation of European players disappeared after his Ryder Cup captaincy.  He did have an involvement in McIlroys early career through his junior golf programme, but any credits he might have built up there have long gone.

#9 WilburnLong

WilburnLong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150287
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Maybe money is changing him....Maybe Tiger is changing him....Maybe this is the "real" Rory and we've  all been buffaloed...

I'm gonna take it that you where being a little sarcastic but if I was in either of their positions and had to listen to Faldo going on and on about every move I made it would get a little old.  I'm sure they respect his accomplishments anyone would but that doesn't change the fact that the dude is always goin HAM on them.

#10 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,771 posts
  •  

View Postdlygrisse, on 08 November 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

Maybe money is changing him....Maybe Tiger is changing him....aybe this is the "real" Rory and we've  all been buffaloed...
\

I don't, while many respect Faldo's playing record I don't think there are too many players who have ever really like him on a personal level.  Now that he is a commentator and his job is to criticize players like Rory and Tiger I don't think there is much love going on.  To get to the level these 3 are at there has to be a lot of pride and arrogance, quite frankly I am surprised they are not more outspoken against him.

These Three?  HAHAHA  Rory is not on Nick's level.

Don't like a guy?  That's fine.
Openly mock and laugh?   That's not something 2011 Rory would have done, perhaps maybe even six months ago Rory as well.

Edited by Vindog, 08 November 2012 - 10:27 AM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,771 posts
  •  

View PostWilburnLong, on 08 November 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

I'm gonna take it that you where being a little sarcastic but if I was in either of their positions and had to listen to Faldo going on and on about every move I made it would get a little old.  I'm sure they respect his accomplishments anyone would but that doesn't change the fact that the dude is always goin HAM on them.

I can assure you...I am always a little sarcastic   :friends:
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#12 tbowles411

tbowles411

It's Paige Ocktobur - October. You're welcome.

• 19,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 2008

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostVindog, on 08 November 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Only a little bit!  :D

#13 archer32

archer32

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

I don't think Faldo was very well liked on tour.  He may have been respected because he obviously had lots of game but he is also a pompous a**.

Could it be possible that Nike and Tiger are starting to build the TW brand to resemble the Jordan "jumpman" brand?

#14 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

One of the fears all of us have had is that the closer Rors gets to Woods the worse it’s going to be for him. It’s not hard to think that Jordan, Barkley, and the rest that Woods idolized and ran around after probably influenced him in some bad ways, especially when it came to marital fidelity. I hope that this relationship is more about Woods learning from Rors than the other way around. It’s very interesting that a guy like Woods who has never been known to have friends with players he considers to be at his level, suddenly is so friendly with Rors.

I guess a lot could be said that from Woods POV, it makes it better in light of the new Nike contract. Nike is obviously making Rors their highest paid player and the face of their golf division, if it looks like him and Woods are great friends or student/mentor, it’s probably not so humiliating for Woods to be moved to a second banana position.

#15 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

There certainly does appear to be an inside joke, but who knows what the inside joke is. In any case I believe that Rory is destined to become the greatest European player ever, let alone the greatest player from the British Isles.

Rory has always been arrogant as a player. It's just hidden behind that babyface, the soft spokenness, and the humble pie he ate after the Masters chokejob. You can see it in the comments he makes to the press, in that strut down the fairways.

And because of that arrogance, or "self belief" as Tiger puts it, he never tried to ingratiate himself towards Tiger. He paid his respects, but never tried to ingratiate himself. And that's something that Tiger respects in addition to the wonderful golf game. Just like in the case of Vijay (to whom Tiger paid homage in the interview).

Let's not get too crazy with conspiracy theories either; Tiger is a fan of golf. And as a fan of golf, he probably wants to see Rory reach his potential as a player, for the good of the game.

Edited by geesecougar2, 08 November 2012 - 10:51 AM.

RBZ Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Burner TP 07 14.5 Axivcore Green 79x
Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 105x
i25 4-PW KBS Tour X Soft-stepped 1x
Vokey TVD 56* & 60* S400
Scotty Pro Platinum Laguna

#16 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,623 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Since no one knows how these players are compensated we will never know who makes more.  My guess is they are both filthy rich and happy to be so.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#17 tbowles411

tbowles411

• 19,235 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

View PostJ13, on 08 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Since no one knows how these players are compensated we will never know who makes more.  My guess is they are both filthy rich and happy to be so.
"Happier than a witch in a broom factory" happy?  :)

#18 Gone Right

Gone Right

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168139
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 08 November 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

There certainly does appear to be an inside joke, but who knows what the inside joke is. In any case I believe that Rory is destined to become the greatest European player ever, let alone the greatest player from the British Isles.

Rory has always been arrogant as a player. It's just hidden behind that babyface, the soft spokenness, and the humble pie he ate after the Masters chokejob. You can see it in the comments he makes to the press, in that strut down the fairways.

Every golfer, indeed every sportsman, needs that arrogance/ self belief to be successful, and the wonder with Rory is that he doesn't show it more.  I suspect that his upbringing helps him understand and control the unacceptable side of arrogance.

#19 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,771 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

View Posttbowles411, on 08 November 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

Maybe it's because I'm from the city
Maybe its because I'm Italian American from the city
Maybe it's just because I'm short....but it is what it is
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#20 mx6262

mx6262

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93496
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

May Be TW fooled everyone + his wife.......Keeping odd company IMO....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 tbowles411

tbowles411

• 19,235 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostVindog, on 08 November 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Maybe it's because I'm from the city
Maybe its because I'm Italian American from the city
Maybe it's just because I'm short....but it is what it is
And we wouldn't have you any other way!  LOL

#22 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,623 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

View Posttbowles411, on 08 November 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 08 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

"Happier than a witch in a broom factory" happy?  :)

You got that right.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#23 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193022
  • Ebay ID:Truegolfer87
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Kinda the same way a six time major champion will take every opportunity to mock a fourteen time major champion. I say turnabouts fair play.

#24 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostGone Right, on 08 November 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Every golfer, indeed every sportsman, needs that arrogance/ self belief to be successful, and the wonder with Rory is that he doesn't show it more.  I suspect that his upbringing helps him understand and control the unacceptable side of arrogance.

I agree, they all have to have it. And it's been itching to come out of Rory. He is only 23, after all.

Remember when he made those comments about the equipment letting "lesser players" into contention for majors? That's an incredibly arrogant comment. I can't think of any other player saying anything so arrogant, and he said it when he only had one major.

Certainly Tiger has never said anything that arrogant. He probably thinks the same thing, but would never say it, lest he be roasted by the media. Probably another reason why he likes Rory: the young master is willing to say the things that Tiger wants to, but won't say.

Edited by geesecougar2, 08 November 2012 - 11:28 AM.

RBZ Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Burner TP 07 14.5 Axivcore Green 79x
Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 105x
i25 4-PW KBS Tour X Soft-stepped 1x
Vokey TVD 56* & 60* S400
Scotty Pro Platinum Laguna

#25 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,771 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostBuffdaddy, on 08 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Kinda the same way a six time major champion will take every opportunity to mock a fourteen time major champion. I say turnabouts fair play.

One guy gets paid to do that.  That's his job.
The others are doing it because it's their personality. (notice I didn't pluralize that?)

And when was Faldo mocking Tiger?

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#26 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

When did Faldo mock Woods?

#27 hayzooos

hayzooos

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51734
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 845

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 08 November 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

And because of that arrogance, or "self belief" as Tiger puts it, he never tried to ingratiate himself towards Tiger. He paid his respects, but never tried to ingratiate himself. And that's something that Tiger respects in addition to the wonderful golf game. Just like in the case of Vijay (to whom Tiger paid homage in the interview).

Let's not get too crazy with conspiracy theories either; Tiger is a fan of golf. And as a fan of golf, he probably wants to see Rory reach his potential as a player, for the good of the game.

I always thought arrogance/cockiness was when you had to tell everyone how you good you are. Where are as confidence or "self belief" is when you just know you're good, probably better than everyone else, and you let your play do that talking for you.

I don't think Rory is arrogant at all. I think he has a boatload of confidence, which is needed to have success at that level in any endeavor you choose. How many Presidents or CEO's of companies do you see that are passive people? That walk around staring at the floor all day long? That you constantly have to ask them to speak up because they talk quietly? Those are traits of specific personality types. The most successful people have them, but they also know what people skills are and how to use them.
Bio Cell Pro w/ AXE Fwy
XHP 15* Fuji Speeder VC 8.1
Diablo Edge Tour 18* AXE Fwy
XHP 4-PW C-Taper
SCOR 52/58* Nippon WV 115/125
Odyssey Blk TD #1W 33.5"
WITB Link

#28 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193022
  • Ebay ID:Truegolfer87
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostVindog, on 08 November 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

View PostBuffdaddy, on 08 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

The others are doing it because it's their personality. (notice I didn't pluralize that?)

Where have you been? He along with Norman never back down from an opportunity to take a shot at Woods. I personally get tired of Tiger taking the high road when it comes to these pompous jerks.

#29 WilburnLong

WilburnLong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150287
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostVindog, on 08 November 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

I am learned in the art of sarcasm as well...I can pick it up :D

#30 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,771 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostBuffdaddy, on 08 November 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostVindog, on 08 November 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Where have you been? He along with Norman never back down from an opportunity to take a shot at Woods. I personally get tired of Tiger taking the high road when it comes to these pompous jerks.

Let's separate Norman here for a minute because he absolutely does under his own volition  And by associating him, it means that Faldo automatically does, which he absolutely does not.  If you haven't noticed...Faldo gets paid to talk about relevant topics in golf.  Tiger is THE MOST RELEVANT TOPIC in golf, especially this year...

Driver wayward, weekend meltdowns, big wins, is he hurt again, how can he stop getting double crossed off the tee or getting stuck up top.  Yep he talks these to death but so does every body else.

Wait...you know what forget all of that because you just reminded me that I've been under a rock and never watch anything golf related.  I feel like new man now :beach:

Edited by Vindog, 08 November 2012 - 11:46 AM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors