Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

GolfGalaxy customer service anti-patterns

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TrufflePig

TrufflePig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65252
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

My last three trips to my local GolfGalaxy:

1) Store is empty and I ask to demo a club in a hitting bay so a guy sets me up with a club and takes off.  Comes back about 4 balls later and says I gotta leave because they need to setup for a demo day.  Doesn't bother to ask if I'm interested in the club or have any questions.

2) In line to check out with 3 or 4 other people and a manager comes to the register and starts chewing out the girl for probably two minutes while 3 or 4 people in line wait because she messed up and let a guy use a $10 coupon that shouldn't have applied to his purchase.  

3) Drop off clubs to get the lie adjusted and the guy takes one of the clubs - gets in an address position -and says "Man I hate the look of this pitching wedge".

What is wrong with that place???

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hckymeyer

hckymeyer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127753
  • Ebay ID:hckymeyer
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Went to get a shaft pulled this week and waited about 10 minutes at the repair bench before anyone came to help.  Told him I needed to get a shaft pulled and he said sure, it'll be done in a day or two.  I asked him seriously?  You can't do it now?  He said they didn't have the staff to do it.  After that i wander the store for a few minutes and see three employee's just talking with each other and not doing anything.

Took it to the Golfsmith down the road and they pulled it in 3 minutes and gave me a new ferrule for it so i could reshaft it at home.

#3 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 744

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

I don't know what you guys do to get the bad service, or whether it's just where I've lived, but I always get service at GG or GS.  I always get asked at least one time if I need help.  Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get into a bay or something, but usually it's because the reps are talking to other guests

#4 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83989
  • Handicap:17.1
GolfWRX Likes : 984

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostTrufflePig, on 07 November 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

1) Store is empty and I ask to demo a club in a hitting bay so a guy sets me up with a club and takes off.  Comes back about 4 balls later and says I gotta leave because they need to setup for a demo day.  Doesn't bother to ask if I'm interested in the club or have any questions.

2) In line to check out with 3 or 4 other people and a manager comes to the register and starts chewing out the girl for probably two minutes while 3 or 4 people in line wait because she messed up and let a guy use a $10 coupon that shouldn't have applied to his purchase.  

3) Drop off clubs to get the lie adjusted and the guy takes one of the clubs - gets in an address position -and says "Man I hate the look of this pitching wedge".

Which location did you go to?  I'm from MD.
Jetspeed/Optiforce/915d3?
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Mizuno JPX-800 Pro-Steelfibers
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#5 PZero

PZero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1120

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

The guys at my GG are pretty solid, never had a problem with service.

R11S 10.5 Whiteboad 63S
913F 15, R9 19
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey 50, TVD 56
Studio Select Newport

#6 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• 1,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

Has to be the Towson store. I am a regular there and they know me pretty well by now.  I'll never have a problem, but again they know me and pretty much leave me alone unless I ask for something. The place does tend to seem deserted sometimes staff wise and it's hit or miss if you can actually catch someone there in the repair department. I actually asked to have the loft measured on a used 3 wood I was considering and was told they can only measure loft on irons.

#7 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1611

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

View Postrainkingjr, on 08 November 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

Has to be the Towson store. I am a regular there and they know me pretty well by now.  I'll never have a problem, but again they know me and pretty much leave me alone unless I ask for something. The place does tend to seem deserted sometimes staff wise and it's hit or miss if you can actually catch someone there in the repair department. I actually asked to have the loft measured on a used 3 wood I was considering and was told they can only measure loft on irons.

Did you see anything in there that could measure the lofts on woods?  All the problems I'm reading don't surprise me though, it just depends on the location and the individuals working.  All the problems or good service generally start at the top.  The club repair section only has a limited number of trained employees that aren't going to be there every second the store is open.  Usually its the golf pro or a guy that's into that kind of thing... if he's not there then you're better off letting it sit before someone that doesn't know what they're dong pulls it.

Edited by J.W., 08 November 2012 - 06:35 AM.

G30 (9 & 14.5)- PING Tour shafts
913Fd 18- Rombax P95
S55's (4-W)- S400 TI
Vokey 50, 55, 60- S400 TI
GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#8 TrufflePig

TrufflePig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65252
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

My experience has been with the Columbia MD store.  And to be fair, sometimes I've had very good service there.  It just seems lately that simple, customer service 101 lessons, are ignored.  I'm definitely going to try to stick more to the small shops where the owner is involved.

#9 flipmode

flipmode

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70493
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

I like the Towson store a lot however I will say that ever since Chris and Bruce left it hasnt been the same. I've never had a problem with the Towson store though.
Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

#10 JJS1978

JJS1978

JJS1978

• 511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84902
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

The store as a whole in my area is ok. I don't expect much customer service from retailers that big. However one store does not represent the entire company.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Onyx Z

Onyx Z

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129053
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Golf galaxy sucks, bottom line. The only reason I go there is because it's close and they typically have what I'm looking for. I would never let them touch my clubs. The people that work there are about as knowledgeable about golf as the people working at Auto Zone are about cars. I've had a similar experience to the OP at the store that's close to me almost every time I walk in there.

Although, I did have a Callaway cart bag break on me a year or so after I bought it and they swapped it out with no questions asked for a Sun Mtn. C130. It was a different store than I usually go to though so it just depends on which one you go to.

Edited by Onyx Z, 08 November 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#12 Ricky Ross

Ricky Ross

The Boss

• 733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149835
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Like a previous poster said, depends on who's working. I do club repair full time and when I'm not there there's one other guy I would trust and that's our pro. Between the 2 of us there's usually someone there that knows what they are doing. I have a group of about 25-30 guys who will only let ME work on their stuff.

On the flip side I have sent 4-5 of my buddy's up to my work to buy clubs when I'm off and they all told me no one would help them. The managers at my store don't do much, it's mainly the hourly employees running the store.

To be honest I've been there for about 6 months and I'm already sick of it. Has to be one of the worst company's I've ever worked for and that's saying a lot, I've had a bunch of crappy jobs in my time.  I'm considering going out on my own for custom club fitting and repair after the first of the year.

#13 sggreen

sggreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153481
  • Ebay ID:sggreen_17
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

The guys at the Cincinnati Tri-County store are very helpful and are great at customer service.  That's my daughters favorite hang out.  The employees go out of their way to know your names.

#14 Redpro

Redpro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107190
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostOnyx Z, on 08 November 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Golf galaxy sucks, bottom line. The only reason I go there is because it's close and they typically have what I'm looking for. I would never let them touch my clubs. The people that work there are about as knowledgeable about golf as the people working at Auto Zone are about cars. I've had a similar experience to the OP at the store that's close to me almost every time I walk in there.

Although, I did have a Callaway cart bag break on me a year or so after I bought it and they swapped it out with no questions asked for a Sun Mtn. C130. It was a different store than I usually go to though so it just depends on which one you go to.

Agree, it's hit or miss at GG on Richmond or GS on 610/Westheimer in Houston. One store I like is Strictly Golf on W. Alabama . . . have you been there and if so, what's been your impression of that store? I get to Houston every now and then and visit them all, but usually buy from SG. Customer service 101 is rare anywhere in retail today, though.

#15 Noyes26

Noyes26

Major Winner

• 1,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136297
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Ball26
GolfWRX Likes : 268

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

It def depends on the store and the managers and how lucky they are with their hourly workers. GG by me can be pretty bad when it comes to customer service. The older more knowledgable guys act like they are above you in any kind of golf knowledge and are very stand-offish. I never try to tell any one how to do their job, i am in retail myself and understand how frustrating it can be some times. But if I ask a question, please don't act like Im looking for a fight. Most of these stores cycle thru GM's. One a year is not uncommon so its tough for them to build a good environment.

Waiting on 915....
TM SLDR HL 17* AD DI
I25 19* Motore Speeder 9.8
Titleist 714 AP2 4-GW Steelfiber 95
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 6
SM4 TVD 55K, SM5 60L
WITB Link

#16 Onyx Z

Onyx Z

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129053
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostRedpro, on 08 November 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

View PostOnyx Z, on 08 November 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Agree, it's hit or miss at GG on Richmond or GS on 610/Westheimer in Houston. One store I like is Strictly Golf on W. Alabama . . . have you been there and if so, what's been your impression of that store? I get to Houston every now and then and visit them all, but usually buy from SG. Customer service 101 is rare anywhere in retail today, though.

I've never felt comfortable with any GS, they seem shady to me. But I'll have to check out Strictly Golf sometime. FWIW the GG that sucks is at Willowbrook and the one that I like is in The Woodlands, but the Academy right next to GG Woodlands sells grips about $1 cheaper than anywhere else (including online).

#17 Veng

Veng

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170380
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

location, location, location.

Same brand, different stores will yield wildly different results.

#18 papichulosteve

papichulosteve

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6128
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

View Posthckymeyer, on 07 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Went to get a shaft pulled this week and waited about 10 minutes at the repair bench before anyone came to help.  Told him I needed to get a shaft pulled and he said sure, it'll be done in a day or two.  I asked him seriously?  You can't do it now?  He said they didn't have the staff to do it.  After that i wander the store for a few minutes and see three employee's just talking with each other and not doing anything.

Took it to the Golfsmith down the road and they pulled it in 3 minutes and gave me a new ferrule for it so i could reshaft it at home.

not sticking up for them, but he probably meant they didn't have the trained staff to pull it. do you really want some part-tme high school kid just there to ring sales to pull your shaft or wait for the actually trained club repair technician?

#19 cb24

cb24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142533
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

haha, those are some pretty bad customer service moves.  Roger Dunn has always provided a better experience for me than others.  Its sad how many companies dont train or hold their employees accountable.  It really is better for everyone, including the customer service individual.

#20 Laws of Woo

Laws of Woo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139130
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm not too fond of my Golf Galaxy. It is usually hard to find anyone to help (seems to be only one employee there at any given time) and the selection is a bit lacking. Takes months before new clubs hit the shelves (and takes about that long for the staff know anything about said clubs).

The one upside to the place is that their club repair work is usually pretty fast and done well.

Really, the only reason I go there, is its the only Golf store near me, next closest is Golf Smith at an hour and fifteen minutes away.

Adams SuperLS 7.5*w/ Harrison Striper H2
Adams SuperLS 15* w/ Axe Xcalibur Tour
Adams DHY 18* w/ Matrix White Tie
Adams CB1 3-PW w/ PX 6.0
Yururi Gekku 53, 57, & 61 w/ PX 6.0
NeverCompromise Gambler Straight

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

I Like Big Putts and I Cannot Lie.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75388
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Regardless of the type of business, that is unacceptable. I've been in the unfortunate position of having to reprimand subordinate employees, and I would NEVER do it in front of other employees, much less, clients/customers.   I have, however, watched other supervisors do just that.   As far as I'm concerned, the only thing it accomplishes is proving that the supervisor is bad at his/her job.  If the employee is really so bad that they deserve a public shaming, then they should have been terminated before that happened or, in private, right after. Otherwise, it's just someone trying to make their tiny package appear bigger in front of others.

In short, total d!ck move.

Titleist 910D2 9.5 'ahina
                PING G10 3W
                Titleist 712U
                PING i20 4-U
                PING Tour Gorge 56WS, 60TS
                PING Scottsdale TR Anser 2

#22 schuyler

schuyler

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118929
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

View Postflipmode, on 08 November 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

I like the Towson store a lot however I will say that ever since Chris and Bruce left it hasnt been the same. I've never had a problem with the Towson store though.

I agree, me and Chris were good pals. They used to have great service and lots of special events, but I have found over the last year GG has slowly gotten worse and worse. Bad service, hardly any good events, and repair service that is not up to snuff. About 6-8 months ago I found myself going to timmoniums golfsmith instead. FANTASTIC service. Great repairs. They don't bust my balls when it come to the used putter section, where I can sometimes find a sweet deal. The hitting bays are so much nicer and much more of them. Also, the putting green is bigger with more putters, plus the Scotty's aren't locked up in a cage reserved only for the people who are secret members of the golf galaxy cult.

#23 Joe26

Joe26

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176956
  • Handicap:16.7
  • Ebay ID:Tyrod_5
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

My worst golf store related experience was at Dicks (not many other options). The guy wrote up this huge ticket for me getting one club re-gripped and told me he call me when it was done. So I asked about how long he expected it to be. 7 - 10 days. He was serious.
G25 9.5* ( G10 7.5*)
Super 9031 20* & 23*
G25 7-U, G15 5-6
White Hot Pro #7
Tour S 56* & 60*

#24 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 434

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

So glad we still have a small, locally-owned golf shop with a fella that has tons of experience. Be careful what you ask for, as you might just get it (Big Box store with lots of clubs, launch monitors.............and kids just out of high school that don't know squat!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors