Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fairway Wood swing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jimpsycho

jimpsycho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89729
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I am looking for help with my FW wood swing and hope you guys can provide me with some drills.

About me:  5 HCP who doesnt have an overpowering game.  I am pretty consistent tee to green.  60% FIR and 50% GIR with about 1.8 putts per hole.  Decent short game, but not great.  Consistently shoot in the 70's with some low to mid 80's on newer tracks.

I can hit all the clubs in my bag consistently with the exception of my FW wood.  I have gone through a couple of different models with moderate success/failure depending on how you look at it.  I have rotated between a G15 4W, i15 3W, and a 906 F2 3W.  The Pings both have the Axiv Core Red 79 and the 906 has an MRC BB 73, all in Stiff flex.  The i15 has been the best performer, but short of what I can do with the rest of my clubs.

My problem is that I can not consistently hit any of these woods.  I have had decent days with all of them, but not to a level where I am confident in one.  Instead of throwing more money at arrows, it is time to look at the Indian.

What makes those of you who are good FW wood players, good?  Any swing thoughts to be cognizant of? Anything to do on set up?  Any other info needed?

Thanks in advance!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Well first off model of wood is not likely your problem. Wold have to see a few swings to know what the issue is . You did not discribe you miss hit flight pattern, shape of miss hit , normal shape or any info other brand of club so it hard to even guess whats going on to be able to help you.

For most amatures thinking of sweeping the ball off the turf helps in geeting a "bit" (not a bunch) flatter and swing more inside-to square- to inside.

#3 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3068

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Postjimpsycho, on 07 November 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

I am looking for help with my FW wood swing and hope you guys can provide me with some drills.

About me:  5 HCP who doesnt have an overpowering game.  I am pretty consistent tee to green.  60% FIR and 50% GIR with about 1.8 putts per hole.  Decent short game, but not great.  Consistently shoot in the 70's with some low to mid 80's on newer tracks.

I can hit all the clubs in my bag consistently with the exception of my FW wood.  I have gone through a couple of different models with moderate success/failure depending on how you look at it.  I have rotated between a G15 4W, i15 3W, and a 906 F2 3W.  The Pings both have the Axiv Core Red 79 and the 906 has an MRC BB 73, all in Stiff flex.  The i15 has been the best performer, but short of what I can do with the rest of my clubs.

My problem is that I can not consistently hit any of these woods.  I have had decent days with all of them, but not to a level where I am confident in one.  Instead of throwing more money at arrows, it is time to look at the Indian.

What makes those of you who are good FW wood players, good?  Any swing thoughts to be cognizant of? Anything to do on set up?  Any other info needed?

Thanks in advance!

I am fairly good with fw metals off both turf and tee. Tee shots are pretty easy; I am guessing you are talking about turf?

I think people get way too hung up on trying to sweep fw's off the grass, and worry excessively about hitting the ground. Yeah, you don't want big divots, but there is nothing wrong with catching a little sod in front of the ball. Shallower-faced fw metals are easier to hit off the turf, but the compact head design makes it hard to catch the ball flush just be sweeping it off the ground alone.

Just go out to the range and try to bite down more on the first few shots and then gradually level out from there. Watch TW hit fairway shots. He really goes down after them; really kind of bites at them, and hits nukes. Play around with ball position. Start with it further forward than you would expect and move it back till you make good contact. Also, make sure to hit the ball hard - makes it more fun, and makes it easier to get some height on the shot.

It takes a bit of practice, but that is to be expected if you don't go the lesson route.

Edited by MadGolfer76, 07 November 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#4 jimpsycho

jimpsycho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostMDP1555, on 07 November 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Well first off model of wood is not likely your problem. Wold have to see a few swings to know what the issue is . You did not discribe you miss hit flight pattern, shape of miss hit , normal shape or any info other brand of club so it hard to even guess whats going on to be able to help you.

For most amatures thinking of sweeping the ball off the turf helps in geeting a "bit" (not a bunch) flatter and swing more inside-to square- to inside.

Hi, My normal shot shape is a slight draw, but my typical miss is a top of the ball or a massive hook.  I guess I try to make the driver swing with my FW.  I have read that a top is usually the cause of trying to help the ball in the air.  I don't think of trying to help the ball get up, so I have a hard time believing that.

If I had to describe my swing, it is flat and from the inside.  Bursitis in the shoulder, although getting much better, did not allow me to get very vertical with the swing so the only way for me to get a full shoulder turn was to flatten the swing out.  Maybe a more vertical swing will help more?

I'll try and get a video posted.

And thanks for the reply.

#5 jimpsycho

jimpsycho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 07 November 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Thanks in advance!

I am fairly good with fw metals off both turf and tee. Tee shots are pretty easy; I am guessing you are talking about turf?

I think people get way too hung up on trying to sweep fw's off the grass, and worry excessively about hitting the ground. Yeah, you don't want big divots, but there is nothing wrong with catching a little sod in front of the ball. Shallower-faced fw metals are easier to hit off the turf, but the compact head design makes it hard to catch the ball flush just be sweeping it off the ground alone.

Just go out to the range and try to bite down more on the first few shots and then gradually level out from there. Watch TW hit fairway shots. He really goes down after them; really kind of bites at them, and hits nukes. Play around with ball position. Start with it further forward than you would expect and move it back till you make good contact. Also, make sure to hit the ball hard - makes it more fun, and makes it easier to get some height on the shot.

It takes a bit of practice, but that is to be expected if you don't go the lesson route.

Thanks for the reply.  I can miss from the tee and off the deck.  I think I am going to put in time this off season to shore that part of my game up.  I just want to make sure I am doing something that will help as opposed to having swing flaws creep into other parts of my game.

Thanks for advice on playing around with ball position and letting me know to go after it.  I may tend to slow it down a little to make solid contact which could be leading to pull hooks.

Edited by jimpsycho, 07 November 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#6 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postjimpsycho, on 07 November 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Hi, My normal shot shape is a slight draw, but my typical miss is a top of the ball or a massive hook.  I guess I try to make the driver swing with my FW.  I have read that a top is usually the cause of trying to help the ball in the air.  I don't think of trying to help the ball get up, so I have a hard time believing that.

If I had to describe my swing, it is flat and from the inside.  Bursitis in the shoulder, although getting much better, did not allow me to get very vertical with the swing so the only way for me to get a full shoulder turn was to flatten the swing out.  Maybe a more vertical swing will help more?

Topping and duck hooking sounds as if your trying to force the release. throwing the hands at it at impact

#7 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 949

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

i have the same issue Mr Psycho (play from 3-6 cap)

I must have 40 diff 3 woods and 4 woods in the bsmnt.  I broke my baby two yrs ago (tisi tec 5 wood with a speeder 952 .. which I was good with) and the search continues

I have even picked up 4 more ti3 and tisi five woods and none come close to my favorite

Off the deck issues .. for me I am too steep and hit a lot of thin ones

Ironically, If i think of two things it works better
- not swaying right on backswing ie staying coiled or more on top of the ball
- Clampett move .. bottom out 4" in front of ball

This only works off of OK lies.  Tight firm lies are NFG for me.  I swing like a 20 capper
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Rapture V2 4w 17*, 660TR Kamo X
Ping G25h 20* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping s55 5-PW. Aldila Tour Proto 125 X
TVD M sm2 53* & 59*,  64.07 sm2
WITB Link

#8 Pinsplitter59

Pinsplitter59

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132387
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

best 3 wood i ever had and still have is an old Cleveland Launcher 13 degree.
so hard to find a good 3 wood that suits your swing.
second best ever was a really old Tommy Armour thing with a small brass/copper looking head,
a real ball smacker, some a** stole it , and i was years in the wilderness until i found the Cleveland.

#9 jimpsycho

jimpsycho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostMDP1555, on 07 November 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Topping and duck hooking sounds as if your trying to force the release. throwing the hands at it at impact

Anything to think of not to do that?

#10 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Without seeing your swing, I would guess that you're playing the ball at the same position, in your stance, as you would your driver. Since most of us try to catch our driver slightly on the up-swing, this will make hitting the FWs off the deck nearly impossible. You need to let the loft work for you on FWs.  I'm not in your hcp range, but my FWs are my strong suit. I play my driver off my toe and my FWs off my heel. That way I catch them at the exact bottom of my swing arc. To initiate a sweeping swing, I emphasize a slow one piece take-away and keep the club low. Then just swing it straight into the back of the ball nice and hard. Even with my R11 adjusted to 12.5*, I can still get a nice launch trajectory with this swing. Give it a try.

BT

Cobra ACP w/ Aldila Prototype 65X
R11 T3/14*, 4/17*, 5/19* w/ GD YS+ 8.1 S
Titleist 695CB 4-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 R
Custom Natural Touch Macasser Ebony
Vokey SM4 52-8 & 58-8 w/ TT Wedge

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Players without tour clubhead speeds will always have trouble hitting low lofted clubs off the deck.They just won't get them up in the air enough without subconciously flipping and trying to get more height in the shot.You have to hit down with shots off the deck and that includes the 3 wood.You are delofting what is already a delofted club.

The driver or shots off a tee is the exception as you can hit up on it so you can still get it up in the air without much loft.

The solution for average clubhead speed players might be to bend a 3 wood to 18 deg and the 5 wood to 20.

#12 jimpsycho

jimpsycho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Quick update as I put a range session in today.  Started off with my inconsistency problems - not by choice mind you.  A couple thin and low, then the high hook, the low duck hook.  Played around with ball position and made the best and most consistent contact when I had the ball almost middle of stance.  Pretty much put it where I play my irons and voila, I was hitting the ball consistently straight and with a nice high ball flight I was looking for.  I also was more conscious of making a descending blow to the ball which also should have helped.

All this time I have read and heard that you should be playing the FW forward in your stance.  It just doesn't work for me.

I hope to remain consistent with this new found shot as it will make it easier to hit a Par 5 in two or even three, but the third shot wont be from 180 yards or from the trees.

Thanks for the help and I hope I am cured.

P.S.  One thing that may have been working against me is the fact that I have a positive AOA on my driver.  That may have transferred over to the FW.

#13 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Thanks in advance!

I switched to 1 & 2 hybrids!  Haven't looked back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors