Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Go pro or head to college golf?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LTaylor59

LTaylor59

Future Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207941
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hey everyone. I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I have been planning to drop my AM status in 2014 and play on some mini tours and try to work my way up. However I have recently gotten the opportunity to return to school (I'm currently 28) and play college golf at a local university.

At 28 I'm not positive if I will be eligible for NCAA teams but I've also never played sanctioned college sports so I may be. I'm just not sure what road to travel at this point in time and would love to hear the opinions of some of you.

Thanks

LT59

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3051

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostLTaylor59, on 06 November 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Hey everyone. I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I have been planning to drop my AM status in 2014 and play on some mini tours and try to work my way up. However I have recently gotten the opportunity to return to school (I'm currently 28) and play college golf at a local university.

At 28 I'm not positive if I will be eligible for NCAA teams but I've also never played sanctioned college sports so I may be. I'm just not sure what road to travel at this point in time and would love to hear the opinions of some of you.

Thanks

LT59

At 28, you are a little behind the professional career schedule, I would think. College is a talent trap for a lot of people. Go pro.
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#3 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Not Division 1.

#4 LTaylor59

LTaylor59

Future Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Bk it's D3 I just saw it as an opportunity for free tournaments while getting a degree. I'm on the fence on this

#5 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

D3 means you're paying for the degree one way or another.  Might as well go pro imho.

TM SLDR S 12*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#6 Jc0

Jc0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119066
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostLTaylor59, on 06 November 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Thanks

LT59

It really depends on your skill level. Are you a +3 handicap or better and are you winning tournaments? If you answer no, I would take college golf for a year or two to improve your game. You'll get reasources to improve while also getting an education. As for NCAA eligibility you sound fine for that. There is no age requirement.  You can turn pro anytime you feel ready and go play tournaments while in school. You will just loose you ability to play college golf once you do that.

#7 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'd like to see you go to college with an option of hustling. What I mean is that while you're at college, get some money to back you in big cash games and see if you can make some supplemental income. It's the best of both worlds. You get the structure and practice from college but you also get the money from hustling. A lot of great PGA players started out hustling.

#8 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 12,356 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

C'mon now. Here is the thing, depending on where you go, you could be pulling down anywhere from 20-40K college debt per year, unless you pay out of pocket. If your pockets are that deep, you shouldn't be bothering with school anyway - put that cash into career prep (lessons, gear, memberships, etc.).

If you combine that nut x4 years, you have pretty much shot yourself in the a** for a pro career, barring some major financial backing, which you will only get if you are super good. Carrying around that much debt will kill your aspirations before they have even begun. Take it from someone who has taught at the college level (and carries 100K plus college loan debt) - college is not where you want to be at your age. Apart from (possibly) learning a particular skill set, college is not necessarily a guarantee of employment after graduation.

If the "traditional" college route is no longer a sure thing; you might as well consider both options on equal grounds and choose the one that is more rewarding, whichever that is.

Edited by MadGolfer76, 07 November 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#9 LTaylor59

LTaylor59

Future Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Mad golfer you are 100% on target with your reply and I completely the fact of loan debts and immediate payments after school ends slip under my radar. Your one post has pretty much re solidified my plans of dropping my Am status in 2014.

Thank you to everyone who replied as I GREATLY appreciate the time each of you put into your responses

LT59

#10 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 12,356 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostLTaylor59, on 07 November 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Mad golfer you are 100% on target with your reply and I completely the fact of loan debts and immediate payments after school ends slip under my radar. Your one post has pretty much re solidified my plans of dropping my Am status in 2014.

Thank you to everyone who replied as I GREATLY appreciate the time each of you put into your responses

LT59

Good luck to you! Just know, though, that I can pretty much make anything sound like a good idea. I talked my wife into marrying me, and she still harbors a grudge (truth), so just make sure you really think about it.

Also, I think a member here "isaac" was looking to sponsor someone in professional golf. Might be worth a PM, if you are confident.

Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Get your education.  It won't cost you 20-40 K to attend a d3 school.  If it does, I can give you the name of a good d2 school where you can get a scholarship if you're good enough.  What is plan B if you spend the next 5 years trying to play professionally, but aren't good enough?  As Mad said, a college degree doesn't guarantee a job, but it does open doors.

#12 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

• 12,356 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

View Postfarmer, on 08 November 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

Get your education.  It won't cost you 20-40 K to attend a d3 school.  If it does, I can give you the name of a good d2 school where you can get a scholarship if you're good enough.  What is plan B if you spend the next 5 years trying to play professionally, but aren't good enough?  As Mad said, a college degree doesn't guarantee a job, but it does open doors.

You are right, it doesn't always cost that much, but there are a lot of hidden costs associated with college, especially with the position that OP is in. Meals, transportation, rent/room fee, recreation, etc. A lot of college kids have jobs while going to school to pay for these things, but OP is going to need time (if in school) to work on his game. That doesn't fly if he is working a job and doing homework instead of practicing.

I know what you are saying about a backup plan, but sometimes it is better to go ahead and NOT have one. It will either force you to succeed or force you to go home. True test of ambition and confidence...that kind of thing. I respect your opinion, but I say let school be the backup plan. You are only young once, and some opportunities are limited by age. College isn't going anywhere, and by the time OP decides (hopefully not) that he might need it, the economy might have straightened out enough so that attending one might actually be worth the investment.
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#13 LTaylor59

LTaylor59

Future Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

well the benefit to the college i'm looking into is that it's VERY cheap tuition wise and is about 10 minutes from where my wife and I live. Also the one I was talking about earlier doesn't have edu as a major so the school I re enrolled in is a D2 school

#14 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 07 November 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'd like to see you go to college with an option of hustling. What I mean is that while you're at college, get some money to back you in big cash games and see if you can make some supplemental income. It's the best of both worlds. You get the structure and practice from college but you also get the money from hustling. A lot of great PGA players started out hustling.

He cant do this because if he does he will face big time trouble from the NCAA. As an Amateur he could only participate in paying events if he wins less than $750 or $700 in a single tourny anymore than that and you lose your AM status and you are no longer allowed to play on a college sanctioned team. Trust me that is not the route you want to take. I've looked at the NCAA rules and regulations while trying to figure out if I was going to play golf for a D2 school but I ended up transfering to a bigger school and didnt try out.

Edited by CCUgolfer23, 14 November 2012 - 12:32 AM.

Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#15 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Again, get your education.  You seem to be pursuing a teaching career, which will leave you with free time in the summer.  Play in local events, statewide or try USGA before you try the pro path.  Read Thrillhouse.

#16 LTaylor59

LTaylor59

Future Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Yes farmer my major/minor set up will be history/secondary Ed. I will also be looking into coaching the golf team at the school I get hired on at

LT59

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors