Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hogan's High Finish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 rocker40

rocker40

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Ive been looking for video's explaining Hogans finish and finally i see a video.
But how do you add this type of finish into your swing?

thanks...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 StevenF

StevenF

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126286
  • Ebay ID:sfilak
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I think it depends on the type of shot he's trying to hit and the desired trajectory.   Doubtful he finished all of his shots that way.
D: King Cobra 460SZ 9*
FW: Ping G15 4w
H: Ping G10 21*
I: Ping Eye 2's 4-PW
W: G15 U, Eye2 SW, Hogan Apex 60
P: old Ping Anser 2 w/ Superstroke 1.0

#3 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14567
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostStevenF, on 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

I think it depends on the type of shot he's trying to hit and the desired trajectory.   Doubtful he finished all of his shots that way.

Watch this - every swing finishes high left -

rocker - you don't get it by trying to make your hands go low and left!

#4 chrisgilly09

chrisgilly09

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114762
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

L side extension, 2nd tilt, big cog shift, etc contribute to the high hands. What's great about him is he's on elbow plane at p6 and does all this; most are on tsp and compensate by bending the plane left, with lower finish. They have it backward, basically.

#5 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 1021

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

The finish is one of my favorite parts about Hogan's swing.   I love the extension past impact and the way his left side extends so high with that high finish.

Ping G30 9* 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin
Bridgestone Tour B330

#6 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

So when did the milf advertisements come to the Hogan Forum?  Is that what it takes to get some traffic around here since there is no more aguments?  Cleavage rather than violence! :idhitit:

#7 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

View Postchrisgilly09, on 07 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

...most are on tsp and compensate by bending the plane left, with lower finish. They have it backward, basically.

Exactly right!  Just like this at :50

#8 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

View Postej002, on 07 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

So when did the milf advertisements come to the Hogan Forum?  Is that what it takes to get some traffic around here since there is no more aguments?  Cleavage rather than violence! :idhitit:

What's this all about???

#9 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

I don't know but there were some questionable banner adverstisments that caught my eye...

#10 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Targeted at you EJ, based on your internet search history!  hehe

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postrocker40, on 06 November 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Ive been looking for video's explaining Hogans finish and finally i see a video.
But how do you add this type of finish into your swing?

thanks...

The problem with Christo trying to emulate Hogan's finish is that in this DTL view, the clubhead "exits" right on top of his left shoulder.  Hogan's is a couple of inches above the belly button, a fact that the anti-low/left crowd never want to acknowledge or seem to be able to explain.

#12 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, I am not sure if he is getting this from Martin (who I know he worked with), or the ABS crowd.  The ABS guys like that Peter Senior lift up your arm thing.  Were that gets you, I have no idea, maybe Brad will show up... Martin did have an idea called "one time" were he basically tried to exert all his energy into the ball - gave him some nice extension, but he didn't lift up like this guy does.

Edited by ej002, 07 November 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#13 chrisgilly09

chrisgilly09

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114762
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

L elbow at finish's a dead giveaway I think, Mizjoe

#14 TeeAce

TeeAce

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61680
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 07 November 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

rocker - you don't get it by trying to make your hands go low and left!

Sorry MJ, but if you think so, you have not well understood what low and left means. For me it has been the only way to get high finish.

#15 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

MizunoJoe - In the clip that you posted above, looking at the first DTL swing (:10), how would you describe the path of Hogan's hands post-impact?

#16 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 09 November 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

MizunoJoe - In the clip that you posted above, looking at the first DTL swing (:10), how would you describe the path of Hogan's hands post-impact?

Left and moving UP, versus Kuchar, who's hands are moving left and staying low with the left elbow moving low and around as chrisgilly pointed out.

#17 TeeAce

TeeAce

Major Winner

• 1,892 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 09 November 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

Left and moving UP, versus Kuchar, who's hands are moving left and staying low with the left elbow moving low and around as chrisgilly pointed out.

I agree with that, but sees that the intention is to keep them low just one foot after impact. The main point is LEFT, not straight toward the target. Every good player I have measured got his hands rising already at impact and that's mainly because left shoulder is pulling them up. So the player is keeping them as down as possible instead of lifting them up by bending the elbows.

#18 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Not going to be popular, but maybe that's a natural, un-manipulated release of his swing.

#19 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostTeeAce, on 09 November 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I agree with that, but sees that the intention is to keep them low just one foot after impact. The main point is LEFT, not straight toward the target. Every good player I have measured got his hands rising already at impact and that's mainly because left shoulder is pulling them up. So the player is keeping them as down as possible instead of lifting them up by bending the elbows.

Look at the swing in the Mystique video at 1:09 - Hogan's left elbow bends very early while his right arm is thrown upward between the head and left shoulder.  He goes low to high, while Kuchar goes low to not so high.  In the Kuchar vid, his right arm bisects his upper left arm and his hands don't go much above shoulder level from :48 onward.

#20 TeeAce

TeeAce

Major Winner

• 1,892 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 09 November 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Look at the swing in the Mystique video at 1:09 - Hogan's left elbow bends very early while his right arm is thrown upward between the head and left shoulder.  He goes low to high, while Kuchar goes low to not so high.  In the Kuchar vid, his right arm bisects his upper left arm and his hands don't go much above shoulder level from :48 onward.

Yes MJ, we are talking totally different thing. I talk about the distance about 1-2 feet before impact to 1- 2 feet past impact. If you watch my opposite circles or door drill videos, you can see I've never talked about keeping hands low. I love high finish, but when I talk about low and left, it's the hands movement at impact and already before it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 09 November 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Kuch certainly stays lower. He looks like never gets unfolded all the way. If T Rex played golf...
But, looking at 1:47 in the Mystique video, Hogan seems to exit well below the shoulder. Granted it is not perfectly DTL. Is that the difference between woods and irons?
From my own experience at flailing on the range, when I try to go through the ball low and left, I have to get a more forceful rotation to square the clubface, which also results in a high finish. Haven't gotten those attempts on video, so who knows what the hell I'm actually doing. :)

#22 TeeAce

TeeAce

Major Winner

• 1,892 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

I my thoughts its 45 degree thing. Hands are releasing 45 degrees to the left and left hip works just to opposite direction. By that those forces are balanced and hands can get a free ride to the high finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors