Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

on my way to scottsdale during the holidays...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97037
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

looking for a kids friendly hotel with waterslides and pools, on a great course. never played arizona before.
thanks...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 597

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Holidays meaning thanksgiving or meaning Christmas/new years?

What price level are ya looking at for lodging, and for a round of golf?

Avoid playing at phantom horse/ pointe south mountai at any cost, although I think they have a water slide and lazy river, but it might actually be closed due to it being cold in November December. It's not always summer out here haha
Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#3 tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116652
  • Handicap:4.6
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I stay at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge - http://www.jwdesertr...esort.com/.  It is a great facility but probably a little pricey at Christmas.  In fact, we have a buddy trip planned there in mid January.  They have lazy river with quite a few other pools, two courses that the LPGA play - 1 Palmer and 1 Nicklaus (Wildfire Golf Club), about a mile from shopping with tons of restaurants (http://www.shopdesertridge.com/).  I highly recommend it if it is within your price range.

#4 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

I like Kierland for the family. Nice shopping for the wife as well. Upscale is the Four Seasons at Troon North. Quiet but kind of tucked back in the hills away from all the nightlife.

#5 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

we will be going this thanksgiving, i work for the four seasons so i get a great deal, 1/2 off and a suite upgrade but i wanted something a little more kids friendly, i.e. water park and fun.
we r looking at spending $200+ for the room but when it comes to golf i would like to play 1 round at the hotel and 1 round at a deserty course.
thanks everyone

#6 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

ohh yea, no night life for me it's about the family, shopping and food

#7 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

ohh yea, tennis too

#8 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

you should move this to the south west forum, you'll get more info
Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#9 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:AZlefty93
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Stay at wild horse pass, they have a sick pool with a waterside and it looks over the cattail course.
Titleist 913 D3 10.5* w/ AD-DI 7s
TBD
Titleist 585H 21* w/ Alidila NV - S
Titleist 710 AP2's 4-PW w/ S300
Titleist Vokey SM4's 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey PT-82

#10 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostArizonalefty59, on 06 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Stay at wild horse pass, they have a sick pool with a waterside and it looks over the cattail course.

That's actually he place I was thinking of with the lazy river, that place rules and the golf is great

Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4144

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Have a great time! :-)

ps: and don't be a sourpuss while you're there.

Edited by Sean2, 06 November 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#12 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

only if i shoot in the mid 80's :crazy:

#13 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

so i booked 2 days at the four seasons, i wanted to play troon and 2 days at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. now should i make a reservation for troon monument or pinnacle.
second, which course at the fairmont scottsdale?
thanks...

#14 cdnrockies

cdnrockies

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208709
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I prefer Pinnacle as I find it a little more challenging. Both good tracks though.

TPC Scottsdale Stadium of course at the Fairmont. ;)

#15 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

View Postcdnrockies, on 14 November 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

I prefer Pinnacle as I find it a little more challenging. Both good tracks though.

TPC Scottsdale Stadium of course at the Fairmont. ;)

I would disagree and play champions any day.

Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#16 pearls24

pearls24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13130

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I played the Champions course last April and it was in horrific shape.  Worst course I've ever played.  I hated every aspect of it.  Greens were actually spray painted to cover up the dead areas.  One of the best courses I played down there was Raven Phoenix.  Parkland style course with PGA tour speed greens (12-13 stimp).  Course was in amazing shape.  Got to play with a member at Desert Mountain which was also amazing.

OP- I would play Grayhawk before TPC.

Edited by pearls24, 15 November 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#17 YMark

YMark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168261
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

I played the Champions course last Friday (11/9).  It was in great shape except for the 18th green. There are a lot of geese that congregate there and it isn't pretty.

==>  OP- I would play Grayhawk before TPC. <== agree with this. Raptor and Talon are both great.

Edited by YMark, 15 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

#18 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 656

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

View Postpearls24, on 15 November 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

I played the Champions course last April and it was in horrific shape.  Worst course I've ever played.  I hated every aspect of it.  Greens were actually spray painted to cover up the dead areas.  One of the best courses I played down there was Raven Phoenix.  Parkland style course with PGA tour speed greens (12-13 stimp).  Course was in amazing shape.

Safe to say, your view of course quality lies entirely with conditioning.  My thoughts are while course conditioning can change, design can not.  Saying it was the worst course you have ever played deserves a qualifier if it was strictly related to conditioning.  Because from a design standpoint, I find it an interesting layout with some pretty good holes and a core routing that is easy to walk.  Doesn't make my top ten, but it's truly far from bad let alone the 'worst.'

But clearly course design doesn't figure much into your view of quality if you find the Raven to be one of the best.  For me, one of the more forgettable layouts in the valley.  I will grant you that it has top conditioning.  Similar to whipped cream on a turd.

#19 pearls24

pearls24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13130

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

View Postteejaywhy, on 15 November 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

View Postpearls24, on 15 November 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

I played the Champions course last April and it was in horrific shape.  Worst course I've ever played.  I hated every aspect of it.  Greens were actually spray painted to cover up the dead areas.  One of the best courses I played down there was Raven Phoenix.  Parkland style course with PGA tour speed greens (12-13 stimp).  Course was in amazing shape.

Safe to say, your view of course quality lies entirely with conditioning.  My thoughts are while course conditioning can change, design can not.  Saying it was the worst course you have ever played deserves a qualifier if it was strictly related to conditioning.  Because from a design standpoint, I find it an interesting layout with some pretty good holes and a core routing that is easy to walk.  Doesn't make my top ten, but it's truly far from bad let alone the 'worst.'

But clearly course design doesn't figure much into your view of quality if you find the Raven to be one of the best.  For me, one of the more forgettable layouts in the valley.  I will grant you that it has top conditioning.  Similar to whipped cream on a turd.

I respect your opinion but without knowing me I think it is unfair of you to try to bash my feelings on a course I played.  I look at all factors when deciding if I like or dislike a course.  I have played many of the Top 100 courses in the country like Sleepy Hollow, Hudson National, Dallas National, etc.  I feel I have a pretty good assessment on what makes a course great or not.  While course conditions are not the only factor, you can't argue it is an important one.  You can have the greatest layout but if the conditions are deplorable then what good is it?  I have only been to Scottsdale twice and played Grayhawk, Legend Trail, Sunridge Canyon, Desert Mountain, Raven, and TPC Champions.  Out of those coures I would rank them in this order- Desert Mountain, Raven, Grayhawk/Sunridge, Legend Trail, and TPC.  For me coming from the Northeast, playing a parkland style course in the desert was kind of unique.  Coupled that with the superb conditions it made for a very enjoyable experience.  I love playing courses with great greens and Raven's were pristine.  In terms of overall experience (layout, conditions, etc.) there was nothing like Desert Mountain.  That was unreal.

#20 Siper11

Siper11

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59202
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hyatt Scottsdale - The course at Gainey Ranch is semi-private, its 27 holes are fun, and the hotel has plenty to do for the kids. Great Scottsdale location and the renovation that was completed a few years back has brought back the luxury feel the hotel had in the 90s. Seems like Gainey never gets mentioned anymore. In my opion the hotel and courses are much better than those at the Marriots, TPC, or Kierland.

I played the Troon Courses and the two courses at The Boulders this week. All were in great shape - the greens at the Boulders were absolutely perfect! I highly reccomend passing up the TPC, Marriott Wildfire! We Ko Pa, and Grayhawk courses to play them. A course I'd add to your list .... Quinterro. It's requies a bit of a drive but it's worth the trip.

Edited by Siper11, 18 November 2012 - 05:17 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Sourpuss

Sourpuss

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

so i played raptor at greyhawk, wow! what a course aboulutley loved it. ok, now the bad. i was +17.
ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha
can u say, had a bad day but no mind what a beautiful course, so well maintained and honest.
if i hadn't had a bad day i think i coulda been +10, hole 18 was by far my fav, luv the water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors