Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Adam Scott weighs in

180 replies to this topic

#1 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

INGAPORE (Reuters) - Adam Scott shot down a putter rule change suggestion by Tiger Woods on Tuesday and told golf's governing bodies to focus on more pressing issues as the Australian leapt to the defense of controversial long putters.

Once seen as a desperate attempt by struggling golfers to change their fortunes on the greens, long putters - like the broom handle or belly putter that Scott uses - have seen a dramatic rise in popularity in professional golf.

American Webb Simpson used one to win the U.S. Open this year to follow compatriot Keegan Bradley's success in becoming the first major winner to employ a long putter at last year's U.S. PGA Championship.

South African Ernie Els made it a trio of long putter major champions with victory at this year's British Open with The United States Golf Association (USGA) and the Royal and Ancient (R&A), the game's two governing bodies, since discussing the status of 'anchored putters' with a ban being considered.

World number six Scott, speaking before this week's $6 million Singapore Open, said he had spoken to European Tour Chief Executive George O'Grady about the issue last week, adding that a ban on the long putter he has used since 2011 would be unfair.

"It is very hard to find a good reason to do that (ban it) at this stage so my conversation was to find out where things sit because it is very hard to get information," Scott told reporters on Tuesday.

"My opinion would be I don't think it is in the best interests of the game to ban the long putter I think there are some more important issues that probably should have time spent on them than putting."

Critics say that the belly putter, in particular, offers an unfair advantage to those using the traditional short putter as players can anchor the club in their stomach which involves less body movement and ultimately fewer errors.

Fourteen-times major winner Woods has voiced long-standing opposition against the use of the long putters, which tend to measure between 38 and 46 inches, and has spoken to R & A chief executive Peter Dawson about amending the rules.

The American believes putter length should be capped and be equal or less than the shortest club in the golfer's bag. Scott was not a fan of that idea.

"His voice carries some weight on the issue, a lot of players have been quite outspoken about it and certainly when Tiger Woods speaks about it generates a lot of interest," the 32-year-old said of arguably the world's greatest golfer.

"But I'm not necessarily sure his views on what the putter should be are correct at all, I don't think the putter should be the shortest club in the bag, that has never been a rule in golf so I don't know why it should be now."

U.S. Ryder Cup player Bradley said at last week's HSBC Champions event in China that he would be prepared to take legal action should the putter he has used for 16 years be banned.

Swede Carl Petterson was another adamant a ban was not the solution.

Scott does not want to see lawyers come into it, insisting the two governing bodies should focus more on capping other golf club design which has led to players hitting the ball extreme distances and courses being extended.

"We certainly don't need that sort of carry-on going on in the game of golf. I think it is all unwarranted, all of it, and there are more important things to worry about," Scott said of possible legal action.

"I think that it is fairly well acknowledged that length generally is probably the biggest issue in the game and it doesn't just mean how far pros hit it.

"Some of our courses, great courses are too short these days. If we are talking about equipment side of things the length issue is probably the most important because tees are moved back. Greens are not changed because people are putting with a long putter."

Adam Scott weighs in on the long putter ban.  His views pretty much reflect mine.  There are bigger problems that should be addressed.

I do find it curious that Tiger seems to be involved in pushing this idea of banning long putters.  Maybe its the only way for him to make it back. Attack the new gen players with rules.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2187

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I absolutely 100% agree with him on the strange nature of Tiger's rules proposal.  That would do nothing to curb anchoring, absolutely nothing.

I guess we will see whether or not his words have influence, by the rules change.  Honestly...It would be a sad day for golf if ONE PLAYER can sway the rule book that much, affecting millions of people.  A sad day indeed.

Edited by Vindog, 06 November 2012 - 10:26 AM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#3 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

From the article...
"Fourteen-times major winner Woods has voiced long-standing opposition against the use of the long putters, which tend to measure between 38 and 46 inches, and has spoken to R & A chief executive Peter Dawson about amending the rules.

The American believes putter length should be capped and be equal or less than the shortest club in the golfer's bag. Scott was not a fan of that idea.

"His voice carries some weight on the issue, a lot of players have been quite outspoken about it and certainly when Tiger Woods speaks about it generates a lot of interest," the 32-year-old said of arguably the world's greatest golfer.

"But I'm not necessarily sure his views on what the putter should be are correct at all, I don't think the putter should be the shortest club in the bag, that has never been a rule in golf so I don't know why it should be now."

Woods just can't stand for anythign to be happening in golf and him not be part of the story. No shock to see him try to interject himself here.

#4 CincyCreech

CincyCreech

CincyCreech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134496
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I agree with Scott, i think that some of the greatest courses in the world aren't 7500 yards. If the long putter was an advantage i think more people would be using it. The long putter has been around for a very long time. A lot of guys coming up now grew up playing the long putter. Also, i could see banning it if every other tournament was won by someone playing with a long putter. That would stick out in my mind as a clear advantage that would needed to be reviewed. It would be sad to see it get banned then having a lot of players getting their lawyers involved. However, i think if you truly love the game and continue to want to play you will just have to adapt to the changes... Cough Cough Bill Haas has been playing with a short putter lately. It will be sad to see it happen, but i think some players have seen it coming for some time.

#5 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostTheDarkOne, on 06 November 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

From the article...
"Fourteen-times major winner Woods has voiced long-standing opposition against the use of the long putters, which tend to measure between 38 and 46 inches, and has spoken to R & A chief executive Peter Dawson about amending the rules.

Woods just can't stand for anythign to be happening in golf and him not be part of the story. No shock to see him try to interject himself here.

The funny thing is...he made damned sure that it was well known to the public that he had meetings with the R&A brass, to resolve this affront to the game.

It was very Kobe-ish

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#6 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1193

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

From the article...

1. Woods doesn't "interject" himself into anything that happens in the world of golf...people SEEK his opinion on things.  Ironically, you are also one fo the first people to be critical of him when he tries to keep his own counsel and offers up a non-controversial response.  

No shock since your attitude is basically "Woods is always wrong---and bad---no matter what he says or does."

2. Woods has long made it clear that---where the game is concerned----he is a traditionalist.  So the notion that someone who refers to "preferred lies/lift-clean-and-place" as "lift-clean-and-cheat" would be opposed to the long-putter.

I happen to disagree with Woods opinion on this...but I understand and accept his feelings about it.

Without having to take a gratuitous shot at him, as is always your seeming need where he's concerned.

No shock there, either.
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#7 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostCincyCreech, on 06 November 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

I agree with Scott, i think that some of the greatest courses in the world aren't 7500 yards. If the long putter was an advantage i think more people would be using it. The long putter has been around for a very long time. A lot of guys coming up now grew up playing the long putter. Also, i could see banning it if every other tournament was won by someone playing with a long putter. That would stick out in my mind as a clear advantage that would needed to be reviewed. It would be sad to see it get banned then having a lot of players getting their lawyers involved. However, i think if you truly love the game and continue to want to play you will just have to adapt to the changes... Cough Cough Bill Haas has been playing with a short putter lately. It will be sad to see it happen, but i think some players have seen it coming for some time.

Bill haas goes back and forth every year.

He switched back to SL not long after drainingg that bomb to win at Riviera, interestingly enough...

More players have gone to the claw grip and stuck with it, than players who have gone to the anchored putter and stuck with it.  I find that very telling.
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#8 vegas005

vegas005

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62830
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

The gray hairs have nothing better to do. They missed the boat on drivers, the golf ball, 60+++ degree wedges, and hybrids. Gotta fix something...must be that long putter, which I say again has no statistical advantage over any other legal form of putting.

#9 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Scott brings up a good point, that there are much more important issues to focus on than the long putter. To use an analogy that was made in another thread, it's like worrying about gopher holes while elephants are trampelling the yard and ripping up trees.

Personally I can't use a belly putter to save my life, so I don't have a strong opinion on it.

It's funny however that the players with the greatest standing in the game almost universally favor a ban; that's definitely something that should be considered. Tiger favors a ban. Arnie favors a ban. Even Ernie, who won a major with a belly, derides it as cheating and favors a ban. Coincidence? I think not.

Regarding Tiger, he's long stated his opinion that he is against the long putter, and in fact issues pertaining to the way golf is played are the only things he is willing to take a firm stance on. I have stated here, and still believe, that as Tiger gets older, he will become increasingly vocal about rule and equipment changes in the game. He will make Jack Nicklaus look tame by comparison. Unfortunately, because of the inordinate number of haters out there and because of his history of vanilla words, those opinions will inevitably be made to look like sour grapes, and I fear that his opinions will be dismissed as motivated purely by the desire to preserve his legacy.

Edited by geesecougar2, 06 November 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#10 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Another classically unbiased, down the middle post from you about Tiger.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 CincyCreech

CincyCreech

CincyCreech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134496
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostVindog, on 06 November 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostCincyCreech, on 06 November 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Bill haas goes back and forth every year.

He switched back to SL not long after drainingg that bomb to win at Riviera, interestingly enough...

More players have gone to the claw grip and stuck with it, than players who have gone to the anchored putter and stuck with it.  I find that very telling.

Yea i definitely remember seeing him at The Heritage playing with the short putter.

#12 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 06 November 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Personally I can't use a belly putter to save my life, so I don't have a strong opinion on it.

It's funny however that the players with the greatest standing in the game almost universally favor a ban; that's definitely something that should be considered. Tiger favors a ban. Arnie favors a ban. Even Ernie, who won a major with a belly, derides it as cheating and favors a ban. Coincidence? I think not.

Ernie's quote is old and he is not in favor of a ban anymore, reportedly from having conversations with Tim Clark.  Jack?  Not even a blip on his radar.  Arnie was in favor of people using a non conforming driver, so what does that say about his opinions?
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#13 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostVindog, on 06 November 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

View Postgeesecougar2, on 06 November 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Ernie's quote is old and he is not in favor of a ban anymore, reportedly from having conversations with Tim Clark.  Jack?  Not even a blip on his radar.  Arnie was in favor of people using a non conforming driver, so what does that say about his opinions?

Yes, Jack is indifferent about it. Certainly even if the great players did universally favor a ban, that would not, in and of itself, be a reason to go forward with a ban. But it does appear that a majority of them are against the belly putter, and as the people who have the best understanding of how the game should be played (by virtue of their success in playing), I still think these opinions should be considered seriously.

Arnie

Interesting about Ernie as I was not aware that he changed his stance. In doing a bit of reading on that though, I find it interesting that he (like me) considers lob wedges to have a much greater effect on the way the game is played than belly putters.

www.daily mail com

"Els said: ‘If they want to be custodians of the game then that is one thing, but then why allow 60-degree wedges and hybrids into the game?"

Which goes back to what has been brought up here, and what Scott brings up, about more important issues that should be addressed. Personally, I think the only reason they are entertaining the idea of banning the long putter is that the OEMs simply are not selling enough of them. If everyone was buying a long putter, there would be no ban. People buy solid core balls, 460cc drivers with trampoline faces, and lob wedges like hotcakes, and if those were banned, there would be a mass secession from the USGA.

#14 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 06 November 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yes, Jack is indifferent about it. Certainly even if the great players did universally favor a ban, that would not, in and of itself, be a reason to go forward with a ban. But it does appear that a majority of them are against the belly putter, and as the people who have the best understanding of how the game should be played (by virtue of their success in playing), I still think these opinions should be considered seriously.

Arnie

Interesting about Ernie as I was not aware that he changed his stance. In doing a bit of reading on that though, I find it interesting that he (like me) considers lob wedges to have a much greater effect on the way the game is played than belly putters.

"Els said: ‘If they want to be custodians of the game then that is one thing, but then why allow 60-degree wedges and hybrids into the game?"

Which goes back to what has been brought up here, and what Scott brings up, about more important issues that should be addressed. Personally, I think the only reason they are entertaining the idea of banning the long putter is that the OEMs simply are not selling enough of them. If everyone was buying a long putter, there would be no ban. People buy solid core balls, 460cc drivers with trampoline faces, and lob wedges like hotcakes, and if those were banned, there would be a mass secession from the USGA.
I agree pretty much with everything you've said...

except for this "...and as the people who have the best understanding of how the game should be played (by virtue of their success in playing)"

I don't see that any player has the best understanding of how the game "should be played" from a rules point of view, just because they were successful...rather what it tells me is that they know how the game WAS played during their time, and perhaps they are resistant to adaptation and evolution, subjectively...

And what does it say about the USGA and R&A if proposed rules changes are made (or not made) on the basis of club sales?  What that tells me that the idea of "keepers of the game" is a crock.  A steaming one at that.   just my .02
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#15 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
  • Ebay ID:gregr319
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I disagree with Adam Scott and here's why:

The R&A should be worried about 100 different things. Scott's right about that. BUT, they need to start somewhere and they need to get as much under control as they can over the next couple decades. This little putter non-sense is a great place to start. Nobody really cares that much either way so whatever ruling they make will seem quite fair to the vast majority of golf fans and thus it's a great first step for them.

Contrary to Scott's approach, I think the R&A should develop their ideas and make a ruling as quickly as possible so that they can move on to another topic. There's no need to skip something like this that will have to be dealt with. This is simple and the ruling will not be fought much at all but by a handful of players who's voice will vanish soon enough so it's strategically ideal for the R&A to move on this.

#16 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostVindog, on 06 November 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

And what does it say about the USGA and R&A if proposed rules changes are made or not made on the basis of club sales?  What that tells me that the idea of "keepers of the game" is a crock.  A steaming one at that.   just my .02

That's certainly one way of putting it. I am to some degree sympathetic that they have to balance the need to be "keepers of the game" with making the game easier in order to grow it, and often those two aims are mutually exclusive.

However, a bit of foresight when these equipment advances actually occur would go a long way, and the people at the governing bodies have a long, clumsy track record of not doing anything until it's too late. But what else can we expect from people who have the cushiest jobs in the world, whose main motivation is to not piss the industry off enough to lose those jobs?

On this issue, my default stance would have to be that they missed their chance, that the statute of limitations has passed.

Personally my biggest beef with the USGA is that they make our national championship a mockery of high level golf. Their setups focus on too narrow of a golfing skill set, and has resulted in quite possibly the worst list of champions of the four majors.

Edited by geesecougar2, 06 November 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#17 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1292

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I thought from the title that Adam Scott was gaining weight...

#18 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 06 November 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

And what does it say about the USGA and R&A if proposed rules changes are made or not made on the basis of club sales?  What that tells me that the idea of "keepers of the game" is a crock.  A steaming one at that.   just my .02

That's certainly one way of putting it. I am to some degree sympathetic that they have to balance the need to be "keepers of the game" with making the game easier in order to grow it, and often those two aims are mutually exclusive.

However, a bit of foresight when these equipment advances actually occur would go a long way, and the people at the governing bodies have a long, clumsy track record of not doing anything until it's too late. But what else can we expect from people who have the cushiest jobs in the world, whose main motivation is to not piss the industry off enough to lose those jobs?

On this issue, my default stance would have to be that they missed their chance, that the statute of limitations has passed.

Personally my biggest beef with the USGA is that they make our national championship a mockery of high level golf. Their setups focus on too narrow of a golfing skill set, and has resulted in quite possibly the worst list of champions of the four majors.

Agreed.

My biggest beef with the USGA is not that they step in to regulate equipment...its none of what they do on this front appears to be REMOTELY systematic or scientific.    They just come across as reactionary, and fueled entirely by emotion.

Also agree on the US Open....though they seemed to be backing away from this a bit with the last few Opens.   Too often the Open becomes a mind-numbing exercise in penal golf.  Where things look more like a ball-striking contest than a golf tournment.   Accuracy should be rewarded in the majors...but not to the point where players cannot play their way out of their misses and mistakes.

I'm with Nick Price on this one.  When you are dealing with the best players in the world, there is only TWO ways to keep them from managing to shoot 10-under over 72 holes.  Either a). Have absolutely atrocious weather or b.) Trick up the course to the point where it is no longer a reasonable test of golf skill.  ALL golf skills.

The USGA has historically resorted to the latter in its efforst to "defend Par".
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

#19 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 06 November 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

I love the US open because it's tough, but I feel as if you are right in this to a degree
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#20 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostMelloYello, on 06 November 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I disagree with Adam Scott and here's why:

The R&A should be worried about 100 different things. Scott's right about that. BUT, they need to start somewhere and they need to get as much under control as they can over the next couple decades. This little putter non-sense is a great place to start. Nobody really cares that much either way so whatever ruling they make will seem quite fair to the vast majority of golf fans and thus it's a great first step for them.

Contrary to Scott's approach, I think the R&A should develop their ideas and make a ruling as quickly as possible so that they can move on to another topic. There's no need to skip something like this that will have to be dealt with. This is simple and the ruling will not be fought much at all but by a handful of players who's voice will vanish soon enough so it's strategically ideal for the R&A to move on this.

I think you are wrong.  This action seems at best arbitrary and capricious and at worst completely incompetent.  The long putter has been legal for at least 30 years.  There is nothing to suggest it is a problem except for the opinions of the way it looks.

The way to get the biggest improvement is to attack the issues that are causing the biggest problems, basic Pareto.  The loss of the historic courses as tour stops and the ever expanding size of golf courses is the biggest problem facing the sport.  The expanding size leads to increasing costs and lower participation.   The loss of the historic venues is a tragedy.

To select this as the problem to attack makes me think that the governing bodies want to look like they are doing something good for the game while really just providing some random motion.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 tbowles411

tbowles411

LEGS and CHEESE.

• 18,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1728

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

View Postimakaveli, on 06 November 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

LOL!

#22 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1292

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 06 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

LOL!

That would't be good for golf btw

#23 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

View Postimakaveli, on 06 November 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

View Posttbowles411, on 06 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

LOL!

That would't be good for golf btw

His pants are tight enough as it is...
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#24 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Only exception I could possibly take from OP's post is that TW is not back.  He won three times this year, and his stats are much improved.  The guy never walked on water, nor have I ever been a fan.  He certainly has more competition than 10 years ago.

#25 rustyputterguy

rustyputterguy

Major Winner

• 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13018
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostVindog, on 06 November 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Honestly...It would be a sad day for golf if ONE PLAYER can sway the rule book that much, affecting millions of people.
I've seen multiple references to Bobby Jones playing a big role in banning croquet style putting. He supposedly petitioned the USGA who effectively banned it via the 10 degree rule on clubs and the rule about straddling or standing behind your line.
That's what I've read, but I don't believe he got those rules in place all on his own, just like I can't believe Tiger's the one responsible for the current idiocy.

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

#26 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • 11,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 755

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I disagree with Adam Scott.  More important issues???   That's not only subjective, it appears as if he's trying to redirect the subject.  Distance is an issue, as are courses being made longer,and the ball, but all are the result of lower scores.  We hear it all the time; if you want lower scores, make more putts; which begs a question.  Would those using anchoring be in the same position using a normal putter.  Something tells me no.  I'd sure would love to see them prove me wrong.

In every thread about this issue, people use the fact anchoring has been allowed for a long time, why change it now.  Up until the current economic downturn, golf around the world has been growing exceedingly fast, beyond expectations.  When facing such conditions, leadership has to address stand-out associated issues.  Additionally, long putters or anchoring has not been in our faces as a "acceptable" personal choice, as it's been seen as for old men, possibly with physical limitations.  Hence, its usage has been at most a blurred concern for the USGA and R&A.  Not until the recent crop of youngsters decided to use the poo pooed old men style, did anchoring come into view by the tours best traditional putters and leadership. :)

What's grabbed attention is more and more tour players that historically used traditional putters at considering it for the benefits of anchoring, and it's not seen as the old man putter it was.  But why, in hopes of resurrecting putting woos; Scott and Els are just two that fit in that segment.  Fantastic driver and hybrid technology, even the ball does NOT do anything to actually improve scoring.  It comes down to groove influence, and making a pure putting stroke so those key putts under 8' drop when needed.

Keegan, Petterson, Simpson, Watney, Scott, Els and Haas use some form of anchoring, and they are in the PGA's top 33, plus a few others that have tried it on tour.  IMO usage is by a minority segment, but for defined reasons.  Again, if it's banned, will they remain in the top 33???  Me hopes, but thinks not.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 06 November 2012 - 01:24 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x
SC California Monterey

#27 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1249

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postvegas005, on 06 November 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

The gray hairs have nothing better to do. They missed the boat on drivers, the golf ball, 60+++ degree wedges, and hybrids. Gotta fix something...must be that long putter, which I say again has no statistical advantage over any other legal form of putting.

The PGA Tour has proven that there was no statistical advantage with the old grooves either.  Yet, the USGA isn't willing to rescind that rule either.

They look for fixes when the fact is players are simply getting better and have better technology/training.  You want to make an impact?  Ban launch monitors and high speed cameras for swing analysis.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ Oban Devotion 8
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#28 nichho

nichho

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75678
  • Ebay ID:nichho
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Why ban hybrids? They have been around forever...............

Posted Image

And why ban 60 degree wedges, nobody can use them.
Cobra Amp Cell Pro Kuro Kage XS
Mizuno MP650 3 Wood Orochi Red Eye Stiff
Mizuno MP650 20* Hybrid Orochi Red Eye
Ping i15 3-PW AWT X Flex
MacGregor  Fat Lady Swings
Ping Tour W 52 & 58 AWT X Flex

#29 prorobo

prorobo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191834
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 369

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

This is the dumbest "issue" in all of golf. The only way the long putter would be an "unfair advantage" is if it were only available to a select few. The fact that anyone and everyone can use it nullifies any unfair advantage argument against it.

#30 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

View Poststage1350, on 06 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Postvegas005, on 06 November 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

The PGA Tour has proven that there was no statistical advantage with the old grooves either.  Yet, the USGA isn't willing to rescind that rule either.

They look for fixes when the fact is players are simply getting better and have better technology/training.  You want to make an impact?  Ban launch monitors and high speed cameras for swing analysis.

Standing O.

But that will never happen, because that would actually require the USGA to admit that today's players are actually BETTER than the heroes of the past...and not just the beneficiaries of technology.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors