Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Influence on your style?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PG511

PG511

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192732
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

What influences your style on the course? I'd like to get some insight as to why people wear the clothes they do when they play and how that may influence your game and your attitude.

I personally grew up snowboarding and wakeboarding. Becuase of that I have a very relaxed style, that is to this day, heavily influenced by the snow/skate/surf/wake culture. It certainly makes it harder for me to find golf clothes that I like. I pretty much only wear Oakley and Travis Mathew.  I like both brands a lot but still have trouble looking the way I want to. I don't really want to look like a "golfer". I respect the game and its players, so I don't wear cut off's and tank tops to the course. But my taste has limited my clothing options...

Does anyone else have this trouble?  What outside sports or cultures influence your style?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Interesting topic!!  I grew up playing many sports, but primarily it was baseball, skateboarding, snowboarding and then all the others ones equally in a lesser bucket (basketball, tennis, volleyball, etc...) until Golf came along.

I picked up golf around 20 years old, after I stopped playing baseball, and skateboarding.  I still snowboarded a few years after that but not intense like I once was.  I'm 32 now but still heavily influenced and follow the skate/snowboarding industry, as I still have ties and friends that are into it.

When I got into golf, I wasn't crazy about the traditional 'style' of a golfer, and went straight for the sportier look (tech fabrics) when they first became available through companies like Adidas and Nike.  I'd say I still rock a sporty look, but over the last few years have moved into a lot of Puma, Travis Mathews, and surf inspired clothing companies and hats.  Even though I was never a surfer, I find it works best with golf clothing style and closely resembles the lifestyle of what was, and still is, a huge part of my upbringing.

I can definitely relate to your post.

#3 shadethrower

shadethrower

Shadethrower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70039
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Travis, Puma, Adidas (despite the two Dassler brothers disliking one another so much) and odd and ends in the on-line discournt bins to create an eclectic look. I like classic styling with flair. DL III is a little too boring and Ricky F. is too over the top. I like youthful looks despite being 60 and do not want to look like I am still trying to be young. A tough balance that has been influenced by living in California since I was 12 and not digging the County Club sort of conservative fashion. West coast atw and att. Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack was cool and irreverant, but too much of a clown despite the wisdom that flowed from his mouth and I appreciate M Wie's KIA commercial and what she brings to the course in that statement on style....without the rinestones! :pimp:

#4 bppry

bppry

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116337
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

I am right there with you. For shirts I mostly wear Travis Matthew with a few Sligo and puma as well. Shorts I really like Hurley and quicksilver plaid shorts. I also will wear a few bright color puma shorts but with black or white shirts to bring it down a bit. Other than those I can't find any that I like the length. I prefer them to be middle or at the bottom of my knee and I'm 6-4 so its difficult.

Shoes is where I have the most issue finding something to match my style. This past season I wore all white fj streets, chucks look alike,  and puma swing gtx. The swing gtx was one of the best looking shoes from puma, simple and clean. I am not a fan of the shoes puma has out now, just look bulky. The adidas sambas were close but the gum color soles just killed them in my opinion.

#5 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Idk what my influences are persay, but, I generally wear what I like and what suits my eye/fits its function.  I wear a lot of Travis Mathew and Iliac shirts.  I have some Nike and Adidas as well.  If I play after work, you will likely find me wearing nicer more business casual polo (something like a Boss, Robert Barrkett, etc polo) not made for golf.

XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Titleist Vokey SM 54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - CS

#6 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
  • Handicap:+2.1
  • Ebay ID:AZlefty93
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

I only wear Izod they have the best quality of shirts and if you go to the outlet at the Mills you will get some really good deals. And they have sick designs.

Edited by Arizonalefty59, 06 November 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5* w/ AD-DI 7s
Callaway Tour Issue XHot 15* w/ AD-DI 6s
Titleist 585H 21* w/ Alidila NV - S
Titleist 710 AP2's 4-PW w/ S300
Titleist Vokey SM4's 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey PT-82

#7 trashbar03

trashbar03

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176526
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Intersting topic. I think travis mathew is becoming popular because of the trendy looks but calm colors and fits. That's why I like it. I grew up playing football and baseball always liking the majority of what nike produced as a sports company. When I started playing I had the nike fever due to the rise of tiger. Now I like the look of the classic styles and wingtip shoes like Luke Donald and Adam Scott. Also like hunter Mahans style when he puts together classic sweaters with new under armour flare.
PING i20 Project X
TM RBZ 15 deg stock stiff
PING S55 CFS
Vokey SM4 52, 56, 60
SC Newport 2.5
TM Penta

#8 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

I tend to gravitate towards the golf apparel brands. It's hard for me to relate my golf style to a sneaker company or a football gear company. I certainly wouldn't go to Old Navy for black tie attire. I'll stick to the golf lifestyle brands for my golf clothing. But it can't be too preppy. I need to be able to go from the 18th hole to the 19th hole without looking like a goober.

Edited by Llortamaisey, 06 November 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#9 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I was a hockey player and i think that influenced it.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#10 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Detroit influences me. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world and has vibrant colors and very stylish people. Right now people are doing vintage urban and there are small pockets of Zef styling around. Puma does a great job of giving me a plethora of wonderful colors and awesome outfits to sport around Detroit. Super fun clothing and it doesn't hurt that Rick wears it lolz.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Tarkata

Tarkata

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181780
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Price meets comfort meets quality.
Don't usually like to be badged up very much.
Mizuno MP630 FT 10.5*
TM 300 Series 15*
Hogan Apex II 3-PW (1983)
Mizuno MP-R Blk Ni 52* & 56*
Odyssey White Hot XG 2

#12 Big Hoss

Big Hoss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204491
  • Ebay ID:kevinsw19
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Being a college kid low on funds I'm not really focused on brands and will really wear anything. I like to stick out in a mild manner. Bright colors but not crazy designs. White is the key to everything i wear. I always wear a white hat, white shoes, and have 3 pairs of white pants. Then for a shirt it is usually a plain shirt with bright colors, orange, yellow, carolina blue, red.

#13 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 857

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Grandad and surf culture. Wingtips and beanie caps.

I'm a dapper thug.

Edited by SurfinTurf, 09 November 2012 - 10:40 AM.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

#14 pccasstpro

pccasstpro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11024
  • Ebay ID:nepgabound
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Comfort! But saying that classic comfort with modern fabrics. I am 33 , and I like a nice pressed pair of shorts ( or pants) , Nice shirt, and a clean pair of shoes.

#15 toomanydimples

toomanydimples

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95095
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostPG511, on 05 November 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

What influences your style on the course? I'd like to get some insight as to why people wear the clothes they do when they play and how that may influence your game and your attitude.

I personally grew up snowboarding and wakeboarding. Becuase of that I have a very relaxed style, that is to this day, heavily influenced by the snow/skate/surf/wake culture. It certainly makes it harder for me to find golf clothes that I like. I pretty much only wear Oakley and Travis Mathew.  I like both brands a lot but still have trouble looking the way I want to. I don't really want to look like a "golfer". I respect the game and its players, so I don't wear cut off's and tank tops to the course. But my taste has limited my clothing options...

Does anyone else have this trouble?  What outside sports or cultures influence your style?

View PostGreyboy, on 06 November 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Interesting topic!!  I grew up playing many sports, but primarily it was baseball, skateboarding, snowboarding and then all the others ones equally in a lesser bucket (basketball, tennis, volleyball, etc...) until Golf came along.

I picked up golf around 20 years old, after I stopped playing baseball, and skateboarding.  I still snowboarded a few years after that but not intense like I once was.  I'm 32 now but still heavily influenced and follow the skate/snowboarding industry, as I still have ties and friends that are into it.

When I got into golf, I wasn't crazy about the traditional 'style' of a golfer, and went straight for the sportier look (tech fabrics) when they first became available through companies like Adidas and Nike.  I'd say I still rock a sporty look, but over the last few years have moved into a lot of Puma, Travis Mathews, and surf inspired clothing companies and hats.  Even though I was never a surfer, I find it works best with golf clothing style and closely resembles the lifestyle of what was, and still is, a huge part of my upbringing.

I can definitely relate to your post.

Same boat as both of you, I'm into snowboarding and like sports. I'm currently sporting a lot of Puma on the course (helps to have a Puma outlet near me and a friend's discount as well.)But I find that Puma offers a good blend of colors and cuts to fit my style. I have a few Nike and Adidas items as well. I put a lot of emphasis on sporty comfort while still trying to maintain a little bit of a classic/traditional look, if that makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors