Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putting Alignment Issues


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59034
  • Joined: 06/27/2008
  • Location:Dallas, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I've been missing a lot of short/medium length putts left.  At first I thought I was pulling all the putts a tad but I had some people comment that I was lined up left of my target consistently.  I felt like with my natural alignment I had to push putts to get them started at the hole.

I didn't like this idea so I forced myself to line up further right of what I thought in order to be square to the target but it's hard for me to tell how much is too much.  I then started missing some putts right edge on level putts with no break.

How do you guys align yourself to your intended path consistently?  For you guys that struggled how did you fix this problem?  Any tips/tricks/training aids?  It's pretty annoying when you can chip/pitch to 3-5 feet but miss the putt.

Edited by CosmosMpower, 05 November 2012 - 03:55 PM.

TM SLDR 430 TP 10.5 DI-6s
TM SLDR Mini TP 14* DI-6s
TM SLDR 21* Black Tie hM3 95s
TM Speedblades 4-AW C-Taper 90s
Ping Gorge 50/54/58
Ping Anser IWI

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dogsbe

dogsbe

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143425
  • Joined: 10/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Oh so easily done.  It really is about using reference points along with training your eyes.

Try using a line all the way around the ball.  Find a spot on the green a 6 inches before your ball and line up ball to that spot.  I line up all of my putts, even something like 3 ft.  

Another thing to do is come side on to the putt.  So, find your spot on the ground from behind the ball and then walk to side the ball and step into to it, about a 45 degree angle while keeping your eyes fixed onto that spot.  Just like you were hitting a normal shot really.  

Lastly, don't look at your target and then the ball.  Instead, train your eyes to follow the line all the way to the target.

#3 mark m

mark m

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44392
  • Joined: 12/23/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I have done a putter fitting and watched quite a few others "line up" during a fitting as well. It was very interesting.

The bottom line is that golfers tend to align different putters differently. The amount of offset and the putter shape (mallet, blade, etc) can make a big difference. So an option is to find one that aligns well for you instead of fighting one that is not a good fit. Some of the guys that were way off line at address were brought in line during the course of the fitting.

Keep in mind that this helps with alignment - not necessarily with your stroke. Knowing that you're lined up good should help - but it's not a cure all.
910D3 8.5 Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
Ping G5 3W & 5W Fujikura Pro 90X
Srixon I-701 tour 4-PW Rifle 7.0
Vokey 50/08, 56/14, 60/04
Newport 2.5, ProV1x
Ashworth & Ecco spikeless

#4 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

    Golfsavvy

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
  • Joined: 02/24/2010
  • Location:Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

View Postmark m, on 05 November 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

I have done a putter fitting and watched quite a few others "line up" during a fitting as well. It was very interesting.

The bottom line is that golfers tend to align different putters differently. The amount of offset and the putter shape (mallet, blade, etc) can make a big difference. So an option is to find one that aligns well for you instead of fighting one that is not a good fit. Some of the guys that were way off line at address were brought in line during the course of the fitting.

Keep in mind that this helps with alignment - not necessarily with your stroke. Knowing that you're lined up good should help - but it's not a cure all.

+1  Putter fitting starting with alignment is very effective.  Too bad it isn't better received by the industry...  After you get a putter there are quite a few alignment tools to help -- one of my favorites is a 15 foot string on 2 thin tent stakes strung above the line.  Another:  mark an alignment line, then mark another perpendicular to the first.  Line up one line to the hole, and align the putter top line parallel with the other.

#5 CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59034
  • Joined: 06/27/2008
  • Location:Dallas, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I find when I use anything to line up while practicing I drain everything but I can't do that on the course

TM SLDR 430 TP 10.5 DI-6s
TM SLDR Mini TP 14* DI-6s
TM SLDR 21* Black Tie hM3 95s
TM Speedblades 4-AW C-Taper 90s
Ping Gorge 50/54/58
Ping Anser IWI

#6 esketores

esketores

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Joined: 01/10/2011
  • Location:Land of the "Mogs"
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

If possible work with a friend on the putting green.
Drop three balls 3 foot, 6 foot, 9 foot.
Line up address the first ball. Have the friend check alignment and make corrections.
Repeat.
This will help you figure out where in your thought process your alignment is going astray.
Remember... Eventually...
If you end up concentrating too much on the line the next thing you know your speed control will be all out of skew.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Queen B Model 3 putter
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56

#7 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

    The Putting Doctor

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
  • Location:Ocala, FL
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostCosmosMpower, on 05 November 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

I find when I use anything to line up while practicing I drain everything but I can't do that on the course
??? Huh???  Why not try lining up the ball, line logo.... Aim the ball in hand while standing erect.  Place the ball on the surface and place the putter directly behind the ball with your left hand aiming the face and your eyes directly over the ball.  Now build your stance around the careful aim using care not to change the aim reference.  Having someone check during this process will help you to know if you're seeing correctly.  You could also do this indoors on a hardwood floor using the seams on the floor for an aim line and square putter face reference without a ball.  The most effective method I've used of late is the Training Mode on SAM PuttLab and the active aim cone window.  Training the brain to accept the new square generally takes about 30 minutes.  Once you've aimed the ball / putter / line with your eyes sighting in like aiming a gun it matters not if you happen to move a bit back of the line.... just trust that the aim process was as tight as you can make it.  You've raised the intensity of your putting by taking DEAD AIM.

Edited by PuttingDoctor, 06 November 2012 - 07:41 AM.


#8 CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59034
  • Joined: 06/27/2008
  • Location:Dallas, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostPuttingDoctor, on 06 November 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostCosmosMpower, on 05 November 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

I find when I use anything to line up while practicing I drain everything but I can't do that on the course
??? Huh???  Why not try lining up the ball, line logo.... Aim the ball in hand while standing erect.  Place the ball on the surface and place the putter directly behind the ball with your left hand aiming the face and your eyes directly over the ball.  Now build your stance around the careful aim using care not to change the aim reference.  Having someone check during this process will help you to know if you're seeing correctly.  You could also do this indoors on a hardwood floor using the seams on the floor for an aim line and square putter face reference without a ball.  The most effective method I've used of late is the Training Mode on SAM PuttLab and the active aim cone window.  Training the brain to accept the new square generally takes about 30 minutes.  Once you've aimed the ball / putter / line with your eyes sighting in like aiming a gun it matters not if you happen to move a bit back of the line.... just trust that the aim process was as tight as you can make it.  You've raised the intensity of your putting by taking DEAD AIM.

Sorry I meant when I practice I aim with an alignment stick, club shaft etc and preset it square to the hole then put the ball down and stroke it along the aid.  I make them all that way but I can't do that when I play for real.  I guess I can try lining up with a line on the ball.  Never tried that consistently.
TM SLDR 430 TP 10.5 DI-6s
TM SLDR Mini TP 14* DI-6s
TM SLDR 21* Black Tie hM3 95s
TM Speedblades 4-AW C-Taper 90s
Ping Gorge 50/54/58
Ping Anser IWI

#9 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

    De oppresso liber

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Joined: 05/09/2006
  • Location:Midwest and Southwest
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 761

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

It might be the style of putter you're using is not the best for your putting stroke.

For the longest time I used a Center-shafted putter, but wasn't making those key 4-8' putts.  Kept missing every putt ever so slightly left or right, and thought it was me.  Thankfully, I seldom ever 3-putted.  Anyway, one day back in 08 discovered Callaway/Odyssey's online putter fitting software.  I put in my data putting results and it suggested face balanced, full shaft offset putters, so I bought a 35" Odyssey Black Series i#7.  WOW - what a difference. Suddenly I was making more of those putts for birdie and save par.

Used it up to 3/12 when I discovered the Scotty Cameron California Monterey at the LGS.  Like always, I was rolling in putts from all over.  I was so amazed, it had me looking hard putter difference.  Turned out, difference was medium toe flow, 1* more loft, heavier head and swing weight, and 34".  Those specs and one inch shorter put me that much more over the ball helped alignment.  I've made more birdies with this putter then any putter I've owned.  It was worth every penny. :)

Edited by Pepperturbo, 06 November 2012 - 11:42 AM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x
SC California Monterey

#10 butch33611

butch33611

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
  • Joined: 06/21/2012
  • Location:minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 337

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

I roll balls down a metal 1 and half inch wide yard stick. I sit the ball in the hole you hang it with. sit the putter against the back of the yard stick. Your putter is now square. See if you can consistantly roll it down the yard stick without it falling off right or left . Its tough to do but once you get it going you get a good feel for a straight putting stroke. I sit a glass about 10 feet in front of the ruler. I try and roll it down the yard stick and just enough speed to tink the glass.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors