Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Adjusting swing weights of assembled irons

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jslinger

jslinger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137195
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I have a set of irons that I want to add some weight to the heads.  I don't like the look of lead tape on the head of the iron.  I was wondering if anyone has added shaft tip weights from the butt end of the shaft.  I have puregrips so I can easily blow them off and put them back on.  Can the weights be coated in epoxy and droppend in the butt end of an upright club?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kwelifan

kwelifan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119921
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Tip weights have a flared end and must be installed from the tip.  You could cut the flare off and drop it through the butt end with epoxy, but I could all but guarantee they will eventually break loose and rattle around down there.  Its a pain to take them apart just to adjust swing weight, but its really what you have to do. There is a method involving tungsten powder and a little cork which doesn't require disassembly, but it makes a real mess inside the shaft if you ever need to take the shafts out.

#3 BCC

BCC

Whatever works !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36183
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Done correctly, tip weights are epoxied in the tip section and have a slightly larger cap to prevent them sliding down the shaft. With what you propose, there will be epoxy UP the shaft from initial install---so tough to say how far your weight will slide down. Also a concern would be that the area they would end up is larger than the weight diameter, so chances of a good bond that would stand up to the force/torque of irons would be suspect.  I'm NOT a fan of lead/cork down the shaft----but just might be a better alternative for you.
R11 S Tour AD DI 6x
4 wood R9 TP Kai'li 80 S
4 Hybrid R11 JavlnFx 95 X
Titleist AP2 712 4-PW KBS Tour S
Vokey SM4 50/54/58 KBS Tour S
Cameron NP2 mid-slant  ProV 1 #73

#4 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 412

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

In steel shafts there is no problems of using tungsten powder and cork
- You dont even have to take grips of if you got the right tools.

#5 GooseHook

GooseHook

Traveler From an Antique Land

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1596

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Are you set on making this a permanent change? If so, it might be worth it to go ahead and do tip weights.  With steel shafts, this can be done by you.  All you need is a blowtorch, some epoxy, sandpaper, and your ferrules/weights.

I just did this to all of my irons and a shaft puller was not needed. Plan it out properly and you can get it done in a day or two!

SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR TP Rescue 24*
MP Fli-Hi/ JPX 825 Pro / MP-T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

#6 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 749

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

Lead powder and cork.

#7 zink357

zink357

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206119
  • Ebay ID:zink247
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Pulling the heads off and adding the weight is the best idea. It is easy with steel shafts as posted above. Put a torch on it til it pops or starts to smell and then twist the head and pull it off. Clean the old epoxy off/out and then reassemble with your weights and you'll be good to go. It really is that easy. Should take 5-10 minutes per iron once you do the first couple.

#8 kloyd0306

kloyd0306

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89787
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

The downside of adding weight to the shaft tip is that the center of gravity is altered.

That translates to the sweet spot being closer to the heel of the head vs the center of the face.

#9 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 749

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

View Postkloyd0306, on 05 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

The downside of adding weight to the shaft tip is that the center of gravity is altered.

That translates to the sweet spot being closer to the heel of the head vs the center of the face.

Unless you are adding a massive amount of weight, an ounce or more, you won't move the CG enough to matter.

#10 GooseHook

GooseHook

Traveler From an Antique Land

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1596

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

View Postzink357, on 05 November 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Pulling the heads off and adding the weight is the best idea. It is easy with steel shafts as posted above. Put a torch on it til it pops or starts to smell and then twist the head and pull it off. Clean the old epoxy off/out and then reassemble with your weights and you'll be good to go. It really is that easy. Should take 5-10 minutes per iron once you do the first couple.
And if you have taper tip shafts, make sure to NOT get the lead "for irons" weights from golfWorks! The only ones that fit are the lead "for steel woods" tip weights.

I learned that the hard way, but the latter fit absolutely perfect.

SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR TP Rescue 24*
MP Fli-Hi/ JPX 825 Pro / MP-T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors