Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driver Fitting - Another futile attempt...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 burtshamozle

burtshamozle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27181
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

I've been playing a Mizuno MP630 for some time with as much success as I've ever had with a driver - long, straight, perfect trajectory.

Maybe it's all the marketing hype but I keep feeling a compultion to put it to the test against many of the new offerings.

At a recent driver fitting with Cleveland the fitter even stated after seeing me hit the MP630 & seeing the numbers that he was going to have a hard time beating what I had. After trying many combinations we got to a point where he believed I was going to get an extra 5 - 7 yards out of the Classic. So I bought it.

Long story short, it may be that little bit longer on my best hits I'm not as consistent with it so it's gone.

Question is - am I wasting my time and effort in the search when I know the numbers on my current driver are about as good as it gets?

Thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1972

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

If its long and straight and perfect then you're probably not going to find anything better.

Keep it till it breaks or until you find something noticeably better.

#3 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5076

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

if you have a driver made in the last 5-6 years and are hitting it really well , and it fits you well....you probably won't do better. I have 4 drivers and none are made in the last 2 years. I recently tested my Dymo2 w/Xcaliber against basically everything that golftown had at their demo day and nothing was better. Granted the shafts were different in many cases but you get the idea.
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#4 johnstitch

johnstitch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150003
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

If you keep hitting a club well why change? Westwood has a G10 in the bag. Webb Simpson has his trusty 909d...Tom Lehman still has an R7TP so you get the message.

#5 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
GolfWRX Likes : 355

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

5 yards?  You bought a driver because the fitter said it might give you 5 yards when you were perfectly happy with your other driver?

I don't get it.

#6 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 559

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Driver fittings are like searching for a wife in a lot of ways.  Once you find "the one", its really hard to find another better.  That said, you always do wonder.  And many Wrx'ers have more than one...hmmm,.maybe I'll just stop there.
Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#7 EricZ116

EricZ116

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170844
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As a fellow ho, I've made the same mistake many times.

#8 burtshamozle

burtshamozle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostTitleist 670, on 04 November 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

5 yards?  You bought a driver because the fitter said it might give you 5 yards when you were perfectly happy with your other driver?

I don't get it.

It's a bit nuts I know but I like to have two drivers. One for travel set/backup. Another MP630 would fit that bill I guess.

In real terms I guess the only thing which could make a club longer would be longer shaft which I'm not interested in or a hotter face which is unlikely?

#9 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Went through the same thing with my d3......has been soooo good to me and on a whim i bought an adams 9064 head and almost traded the d3 in because i hit the adams 25 yards further...... ...but it wasnt nearly as accurate as the d3....i came to my senses with the d3 in hand walking into the store to trade it in......played 2 roubds since and hit 12 fairways.......yeah.....nevermind the adams
hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#10 keyser

keyser

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8384
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

What was done in your fitting? Did you try different length shafts, different weight to the head?

Odds are you got a typical shop "fit". A few different shafts and aprox loft, ended up with a driver with a shaft too long to give you consistency and probably not even tried out which weight you hit best.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1385

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Why is it so hard to believe a driver you already have fits you well? Even if you stumbled on it by trial and error, there are many drivers that are within a couple yards or a hundred rpm of perfect (whatever perfect might mean). Not so amazing that you're already playing one that's darned close.

Fitting is like everything else in golf. Having clubs that fit you are is important but you can't buy a new one every couple years and get more perfect and more perfect. There's a limit somewhere at which point you'll have to swing better to hit it farther.

#12 hoosiervolunteer

hoosiervolunteer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7380
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Been there done that.  A great driver is harder to find than a needle in a haystack!  Keep it and look again in a couple of years.

#13 Mob

Mob

Just Another Lefty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185540
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

If we believe all the improvements that club manufacturers claim every year about their latest product, then we would all be hitting the ball 350 yards and straight.  Truth is, the changes they make each year are incremental, mostly cosmetic, and geared to getting us to buy the latest driver.  If you hit your driver straight, long, and your numbers are fairly maximal, then you are unlikely to see significant improvement with anything you buy.  We all keep looking for something better, instead of being happy with what we got.  I do the same thing.
Bio Cell + with UST Elements Chrome 6F4T
Callaway X2HP 3Deep + Tour Green shaft
Ping Anser 20 and 23 degree hybrid
Epon AF302 copper irons 5-PW
Scotty Cameron Select Golo putter
Epon 210KGX + Yururi Raw Gekku Wedge

#14 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4647

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

There are guys on the long drive circuit who still use the Geek DCT, which is been around forever. Just because something is new doesn't mean it's better.
Hey...be nice.

#15 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 463

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Do you have a LM report when you hit your Mizuno driver ?

Ive heard to many times that a player think he is optimized, but he is not even close, but without numbers its impossible to tell if there is any improvments to get from another club. You must also take your playing conditions into the math, so 2 "identical players", but different playing conditions dont have the same numbers as optimum.

#16 burtshamozle

burtshamozle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

View PostHoward Jones, on 05 November 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

Do you have a LM report when you hit your Mizuno driver ?

Ive heard to many times that a player think he is optimized, but he is not even close, but without numbers its impossible to tell if there is any improvments to get from another club. You must also take your playing conditions into the math, so 2 "identical players", but different playing conditions dont have the same numbers as optimum.

Thanks for all the replys folks.

I don't have the numbers from the session but I remember going from ~158 ball speed to mid 160s at 1.48/1.49 smash. The earlier poster was also right in that it was just a trial of the head/shaft combos that the fitter had with him on the van.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors