Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Razr X Forged/Razr X Muscleback combo?

Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Password Is Taco

Password Is Taco

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149957
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I switched out my Titleist blades (690.MB) for 2007 Callaway X forged irons back in 2008 because I was graduating college and wouldn't be able to play as much golf so I wanted something more forgiving.  After very little golf in 2009 and 2010 I've been playing a ton in 2011 and 2012 and my ball striking is much better than I would have anticipated 4 years ago.

I'm thinking about trying a combo set of Razr X Forged for 4, 5, and 6 irons and Razr X musclebacks for 7-PW.  Has anyone tried this combination?  Would you recommend it or a different set up?  I'm a 1 handicap and I consider my iron game to be a strength of mine but since I don't play many courses where I use 4-6 irons I don't get much practice with them so I don't think using muscleback 4-6 irons would be good for me.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Fornesto

Fornesto

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95137
  • Ebay ID:flatrat4
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I have a set of each and have dabbled a bit with comboing them. the only drawbacks are the heel to toe lengths are different with the musclebacks being slightly shorter and they also have more trailing edge relief. Not really an issue but if youre looking for an exact match visually there are some differences. Some have stated that the X forged look "wierd" with a kind of high toe but I think they look great. Also the X musclebacks are suposed to have a different cog progression than the forged and I feel that is true i definately hit a lower flight in the long irons with the forged.

#3 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1179

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I played a set . Agree with the above , also didn't gain much with the blades, I think the cb's are just as playable and accurate.
Callaway DBD
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana S+
Nike Vapor Pro 4-P
Titliest Vokey SM5 54 & 60
Scotty Cameron My Girl 2014

#4 Password Is Taco

Password Is Taco

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149957
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Would there be a better CB iron to match to the Razr X musclebacks or are the Razr X forged the closest match?  Thanks for the input!

#5 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'm not sure if anyone will ever find the perfect set throughout.   And the transition from club to club via the X-Forged, X-Proto is as good as any.   My son likes his, and he isn't looking for anything to replace these.   But?   We all know that everything in our bag is fair game... :)...isn't it?

[attachment=1408283:TG & Adam & Snow Pics 024 (Large).jpg]

Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
STILL Awesome Cally Apex Irons :-)

#6 Marmion

Marmion

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179346
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Maybe wait for the 2013 X Forged if this is what you're wanting to do.  As mentioned above, the MB has a 'flighted' design where the weight distribution on the short irons is higher than the long irons.  The current X Forged don't have this, so your X Forged long irons will have a lower flight than the MBs.  The 2013 X Forged has the flighted design as well, but is 1* stronger (PW 46*) I understand compared to the current MBs.

The top lines are also different, and in my opinion the MBs fit my eye better than the X Forged but YMMV.
BB Alpha AD-DI 6S
X2 Hot 3 Deep AD-DI 6S
BB 18* Motore Speeder VC7.3 Tour S
Apex 4-PW XP95 Stiff
Odyssey ProType #2
Mack Daddy II 52* S; 58* C
WITB Link

#7 outwardnine

outwardnine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84881
  • Ebay ID:outwardnine
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

I have a combo set of the 09 x forged and the x protos. I play 5 and 6 as the x forged. The blade length is identical and the only difference at address is the slightly thicker top line.

#8 bsac

bsac

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165391
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I just picked up a set of Razr X MB/CB forged combo. I have 3-6 as CB and 7-PW as MB. I feel this set is the perfect blend of feel, accuracy, and some forgiveness. Some people do like the MB up to the 5 iron, but I think the added forgiveness really helps me so I went down to the 6i. The irons blend very well in my opinion and the slightly thicker top line is negligible in my eyes.

Password Is Taco, on 04 November 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

I switched out my Titleist blades (690.MB) for 2007 Callaway X forged irons back in 2008 because I was graduating college and wouldn't be able to play as much golf so I wanted something more forgiving.  After very little golf in 2009 and 2010 I've been playing a ton in 2011 and 2012 and my ball striking is much better than I would have anticipated 4 years ago.

I'm thinking about trying a combo set of Razr X Forged for 4, 5, and 6 irons and Razr X musclebacks for 7-PW.  Has anyone tried this combination?  Would you recommend it or a different set up?  I'm a 1 handicap and I consider my iron game to be a strength of mine but since I don't play many courses where I use 4-6 irons I don't get much practice with them so I don't think using muscleback 4-6 irons would be good for me.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Also tagged with Opinions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors