Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How Much Does Changing Flex With Same Shaft Effect Launch Angle?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 golfinbrad

golfinbrad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95501
  • Ebay ID:bankerbroad
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I was fitted for my current gamers (Cleveland DST Launcher 9*) 3 or 4 years ago.  It has been a good driver, but hasn't lived up to what I had hoped.  Cleveland did a great job of reducing spin, but as a result very difficult to work the ball.  TaylorMade recently held a demo day in our area and I did get on the LM with the r11s.  They spec'd it out (9* with Motore Speeder 6.0 stiff), but wasn't sure if TM was for me.  Didn't care for the feel.  Before I made a change I hit the Ping i20 and Anser at my local Dick's Sporting Goods store.  Problem was their inventory was limited.

Now my question.  I loved the feel of the i20!  I hit the i20 in a 9.5 with Project X 6.0 and Anser in a 9.5 with a regular shaft. Again that is all they had.  I'm a 1 hdcp with a swing speed around 118 mph.  Both had a launch angle of high 12*s and spin rate of high 2Ks.  If I move to a 6.5 or S or X in the TFC will that bring my launch angle down much or just the spin?  I've always been a high launch high spin player.  The anser and i20 seem to do a great job of reducing it.  I've read on hear about how stiff the TFC shafts are, so I'm a little nervous about that.  I was thinking 8.5* with 6.5 in the i20 or 8.5* with x-stiff in the 'ahina.  Thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 zink357

zink357

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206119
  • Ebay ID:zink247
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I would base the shaft stiffness on how they feel to you. Can you feel the X load enough when you swing it? Stiffness alone won't affect your launch. As far as bringing your launch down, I would just go with a different shaft completely and you can even stay with the 9.5*. I found the PX to be a higher launching shaft personally and high spin as well, but never tried the Ahina. With my latest set up I have tried the PX(came stock), Aldila RIP Beta, RIP Alpha, and Fubuki Tour all in X flex and I have a SS identical to yours. The RIP Alpha and Fubuki Tour were both a lot better launch and spin resluts for me. The Beta was close, but a touch higher launch than the Alpha. Maybe they don't offer those shafts, but the later upgrade will be worth it. You can pick up a RIP on eBay for $60-$90 depending on weight and flex. I got the RIP Alpha in X flex and 66 grams for $60 and its the real deal.

If you don't want the added expense of an aftermarket shaft, I would just go with the 8.5* head.

#3 superman912

superman912

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108885
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hardly any. It effects spin more and even the difference you expect isn't huge. Loft is probably the most deciding factor. Trackman verified.

Edited by superman912, 04 November 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#4 golfinbrad

golfinbrad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95501
  • Ebay ID:bankerbroad
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Great Video!!!  Makes for some interesting thoughts.  I remember Callaway back in the day having the uniflex Memphis 10 shaft he was referencing.  I do agree with the feel comment.  Personally I don't like the feeling of swing a board.  Thanks both of you for the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors