Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Seriously 2 dozen balls under $20 .. best scores ever ???

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209907
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Okay, I am new to the forum but have been a fan of GlfWrx and I am a certified Golf Nut ! I spare no expense and in my opinion and I play nothing but the best equipment. I currently  play  the Bridgestone 330 RX and believe I have hit just about every ball out there. So to get to the point has anyone ever come across this Wilson Smartcore golf ball. I won't bore you with how I found this ball or how I came to try it ( it was a gift to my brother from a girl).  Anyway, I hit this thing off the tee and Wow! Perfect nice little power fade about 260 yds as usual. No difference than any other ball I have hit. I know 260 is a short weak drive for most but for me its the norm. Again anyway, I hit my 2nd shot about 120 to the green and it held just fine. Same went on all day, decent drives, chips that spun and checked just fine and putts that were true despite my lack of ability to read greens ..... I figured it was a fluke but I actually broke down and bought a box at my local Walmart and man I hit them just great. I have shot some of my lowest scores and I wish I had a good explanation for this ball but its great! Has anyone else on this forum ever hit this ball and what was your opinion of it ?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 +Church

+Church

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147683
  • Ebay ID:church717
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Welcome and thanks for sharing...

#3 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1961

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Welcome to wrx!

I haven't hit a smart core ball in years, I remember them but didn't realize they still made them. Sometimes you find bargains that pan out though!

#4 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2258

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

This happens a lot i think. I have had similar situation with the Pinnacle Exception, the Srixon AD333. It really depends on what you want and your game, If you really really need alot of spin around the greens on half pitches and chips, most of these balls won't cut it. But distance wise most modern balls will be within a somewhat reasonable distance of each other. Obviously there are other issues like feel, and driver spin etc. Hope your luck with the smart core continues!
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#5 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82498
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

If they are working for you then stick with them. It's nice when you can find a ball that plays well for you at a bargin price. Back in the day the Smartcore was my favorite ball.They have been around a very long time. I have tried the recent version on the Smartcore and didn't care for them. IMO they used the Smartcore name on a new discount ball. I bought two double dozen boxes for $10 a unit. You can't get much cheaper than $5 a dozen for new balls. I used a sleeve of them and moved on.

#6 Birdie Blocker

Birdie Blocker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132988

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

The wilson Duo is what I play best ball out there.

#7 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1794

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostKYMAR, on 04 November 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

This happens a lot i think. I have had similar situation with the Pinnacle Exception, the Srixon AD333. It really depends on what you want and your game, If you really really need alot of spin around the greens on half pitches and chips, most of these balls won't cut it. But distance wise most modern balls will be within a somewhat reasonable distance of each other. Obviously there are other issues like feel, and driver spin etc. Hope your luck with the smart core continues!
^ This...and welcome!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#8 doubleBZee

doubleBZee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82037
  • Ebay ID:trey8419
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

My grandmother bought me a double dozen for my birthday. I am unable to share the same excitement you have. I thought they were short and felt like rocks.
Cobra Amp - AD-DI7
TM Burner TP 3 - BB 83
TM TP MC/MB - Ctaper
Vokey Wedges
TM Penta TP
Byron Morgan DH89

#9 PZero

PZero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1289

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

The smartcores are hidden gems. My dad uses the yellow version and swears by them. I've hit them before and felt that they played exceptionally well. At the price you can get them for it's a no brainer.
R11S 10.5 Whiteboad 63S
TEE XCG7 15
TM R9 19
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey 50, TVD 56
Studio Select Newport

#10 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,926 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 963

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Just about all modern balls, cheap and expensive alike, will fly very near the same distance.  The USGA regulates ball speed and all reputable manufacturers build their balls right at the limit.

Urethane covered balls spin more, but as mentioned, this may or may not be important to the user.

Some balls feel different from another, but they fly where you strike them.  It amazed me how many people have strong preferences regarding balls, since in my experience they are all so similar to one another.  For me, the only real preference I have is for urethane, and even that is most likely just something my brain has glammed on to.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82498
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostdoubleBZee, on 04 November 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

My grandmother bought me a double dozen for my birthday. I am unable to share the same excitement you have. I thought they were short and felt like rocks.

I thought they were short too.

#12 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for all your responses I had no idea this ball had been around so long.

#13 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostBirdie Blocker, on 04 November 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I saw Wilson Duo and was very curious and almost bought it but all that was in stock was the bright yellow.. So you feel this ball bites greens well and has good distance ?

#14 2nd_time_golfer

2nd_time_golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170602
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

I am going to see if I can find some yellow ones to try out.

#15 ceasterb

ceasterb

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103497
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

View Postsaltrunner, on 04 November 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Thanks for all your responses I had no idea this ball had been around so long.
As noted in previous posts, I think it's the name that has been around for a while.  I do not believe it's actually the same ball construction and ,material wise.

Callaway Xhot2 9.5* stiff
Adams Speedline 3 wood
Cobra AMP hybrid, Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 4i
Titleist 712 MBs 5-PW w/ SM4 wedges
Kari Lajosi DD201 Damascus w/black oxide
Titleist SM4 56* & 60*

#16 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Nike vapor black also very good inexpensive choice!

#17 sixiron150

sixiron150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34914
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Years ago these were "Wilson Staff " smart core balls. Now they are just Wilson smart core. This tells me they are likely different balls. I also remember different types years ago: Professional Distance, Balata Distance, etc. Lastly, they used to mention powered by Goodyear. Not sure if they still do.

#18 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postsaltrunner, on 04 November 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

View PostBirdie Blocker, on 04 November 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I saw Wilson Duo and was very curious and almost bought it but all that was in stock was the bright yellow.. So you feel this ball bites greens well and has good distance ?

For the money, this ball is flying under the radar !!  I have used the Pro v"s and Taylormade TP Blacks for years, Currently put the
Duo in for the fall weather and 45* temps. Impressive results, Great distance, Spin around greens is where I have made some adjustments !!
That said, My confidence around the green is gaining speed. Try this ball !! It will surprise you !!!
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Callawy Apex pro  5 thru PW  Irons
Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter
Vokey SM5 50*and 56* degree Wedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors