Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Firm Conditions and your setup

Course conditions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TexMex36

TexMex36

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146945
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Wondering how all of you out there who play in firm conditions have your bag setup. I play most of my golf in West Texas (lots of wind and very firm) and wonder how the rest of you approach this style of golf. Been having trouble with my irons as of late(Ping G10's) and I think that the thick soles might be giving me trouble off these firm fairways. Just curious to how everyone else sets their bag.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1650

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

I play the ball back in my stance and make a steeper swing into the ball any time I'm on hard pan. I play MB Blades so the soul is not an issue.

Edited by Kadin 25, 04 November 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#3 TexMex36

TexMex36

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

I've heard different opinions on sole thickness and tight lies. Some say that it has no affect but it seems like with the thick sole and bounce the leading edge is a bit high into the ball. Like it is sitting a bit higher then it should. Seems especially hard on partial shots.

#4 Password Is Taco

Password Is Taco

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149957
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I use a set of Callaway copper forged wedges which I've had shaved down.  The 60* has 5* of bounce and an M grind, the 56* has 9* of bounce and slight toe and heel relief and the 52* has 7* of bounce.  When I first had them ground I thought I would end up buying another set for wet/lush conditions but it turns out I like them in all conditions. If you've got a couple of older wedges sitting around I'd suggest giving it a shot!

#5 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

I play miura baby blades and played titleist mb710s before that and feel like as long as my hands are forward at impact and i drive through the ball then firm conditions dont bother me......on the occasion i scoop a shot it doesnt feel good regardless of sole width i think

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#6 TexMex36

TexMex36

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Yeah I think I'm going to try and pick up some irons with a thinner sole and less bounce. I think that might help off tighter lies. Also thinking about switching hybrids. My hybrid has a pretty deep face. Any suggestions for irons and hybrid?

#7 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Im a fan of blades personally....maybe the titleist mb 712 or adams mb2.....or take a look at mizuno products.....they make great stuff and you will probably find something with a thinner sole and some forgiveness if you arent totally comfortable with a blade.

As for a hybrid i prefer tge tour edge exotics cb4 line.....much smaller profile and very solid on any lie

Edited by sblack5, 05 November 2012 - 07:22 AM.

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

Also tagged with Course conditions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors