Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

SST Puring

32 replies to this topic

#1 Tomed

Tomed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101235
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have a small club building shop in my basement. It all started because I have had probably seven or eight heads fly off from clubs I’ve had put together at my local Edwin Watts. I learned the epoxy they use stinks (good to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit). I was able to retrieve all the club heads except one – a 6iron that’s in the bottom of a lake!!! So I researched different epoxy and club building and learned how to do it myself. JB Weld makes a 24hour epoxy that is good to 650 degrees Fahrenheit. I have never had a single club head fly off and I’ve put together countless drivers, woods, irons, wedges, putters, etc. I’ve gotten good at it. It’s a great hobby.

I’ve been a big believer in SST Puring for a while, having a driver I used for a while that was SST pured. I have seen all the demo videos and believe puring is the right thing to do. BUT, I’ve never gone all out, thinking $39 per club is just ridiculous. Stupid me… About a month ago I decided to take the big step. I was going to do everything. But I wanted to do it big and right!!! Starting with all irons (3 thru LW). I bought some irons in A+ condition that were made in the year I took up the game; Symbolism, I guess. I decided to buy Project X 7.0s for everything, except the lob wedge, where this would be a 6.5. I took all the raw shafts and had each one SST Pured. Oh, the print outs alone had me drooling. Little known fact: if you take a raw shaft and have it SST Pured, in quantity especially, you can get a good discount. I ended up paying just $14.99 per shaft.

It’s been close to three weeks since I did this and I’ve had roughly ten rounds with the clubs. I can say without equivocation that I should have done this years ago. There’s definitely a difference. My irons are pure and sweet. My shots have never been better.  It’s a great feeling. Even my chips are better.  It’s just a sweet thing… So, with driver, 3wood, 2hybrid, 3i thru PW, GW and LW (13 clubs) I’ve spent $194 in SST Puring. Best “investment” I’ve ever made in my golf game. Really simple stuff. I recommend you do it. I can definitely see people not doing it, however. At $39 per club, plus the cost that a club builder would charge for the break down and re-assembly, I would guess that most people would have to pay at least $50 per club. For 13 clubs that’s $650. Most people would just not do it. It’s a hassle!! It is worth it in my opinion.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4674

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I've read a lot on this topic, both for and against. No EOM offers this as an option for customization and I wonder why if it has so much going for it.
Hey...be nice.

#3 Tomed

Tomed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101235
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostSean2, on 03 November 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

I've read a lot on this topic, both for and against. No EOM offers this as an option for customization and I wonder why if it has so much going for it.

Sean, Funny you ask that, because it is totally related to me PURING my own clubs. First: It is a cost issue. SST PURE sells a PUREing machine that each time it is used SST derive a royalty. Now perhaps the royalty is only a $1 or perhaps it's $5. Whatever the value, it is an amount that [if you're Callaway or Titleist] would equate to $10s of millions annually. That eats into profits, AND since only good players really care about dispersion, the big box OEMs don't have to invest in pureing because consumers aren't demanding it.

There is an OEM that provides SST PUREd shafts as stock in their irons -