Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Arm motion in transition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I don't know if this can be answered without video, which I don't have.  On the backswing, I have learned to rotate my left arm, and the shaft is in good position to the top. Now I am learning to create more space for the arms to swing down and through closer to the body, and then return to the inside.  I am trying now to shallow out the shaft a little.

There are two ways I think that this is done, in respect to what the arms are doing.  One way is the right arms moves inward, in front of the chest - there were some comments on a recent thread comparing this to how pitchers throw a ball. If the right arm moves this way, it shallows the shaft out. I was fooling around, and I also think it might make sense to retain the rotation in the left arm a little longer.  This also moves the right arm/elbow more inward.  

The thing I am trying to solve is I am releasing the club more by rotating the arms through impact while the arms return to the inside, and I need to remedy the tendency to pull hook.  There is great contract with this path/release and more power (a lot more power), and I think I am going in the right direction, but I think I need to shallow the path.  

Any thoughts about these different thoughts/approaches? It might take me a while to get back to this thread as I am on a plane tomorrow to India... thx.

Wishon 919thi Graphite Design Red R
Callaway x-hot 4 wood stock shaft
Callawat x-hot pro 20, 23* stock shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-w steelfiber 80 R
Scotty golo
Wishon 56, 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hey, wm...  I would put forearm rotation as you describe, and release in 2 slightly different categories.  I assume you're talking about a rotation like Justin Leonard -- don't know if you're as rotational or flat (he's not as severe as he used to be).  If you're aggressively rotating, yes, it is powerful.  If your path is inside to inside, I imagine you don't need to go more shallow.  I would look at the face-to-hands relationship, and spin the club (entire club, shaft, etc.) slightly more open while keeping your hand positions the same.  Try keeping the positions and move and changing the relationship of the club.

I would define 'release' as the un-hinging and re-hinging of the wrists before, during, and after impact.  Colin Montgomery, Hale Irwin, and Payne Stewart had a lot more hinging and less rotation.  Rotation drives it, hinging releases it higher.

...unless I've misunderstood your question...

Edited by golfsavvy, 03 November 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#3 TeeAce

TeeAce

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61680
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

What you said is typical instinct to close the face by arms rotation, so you loose the advantage you create at the transition. Just keep on doing same thing all the way through and make your pivot close the face. Keep your right elbow in and elbow pocket pointing out through the impact.

#4 dairic

dairic

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132074
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

At first it's a scary thought to open the club face wide with forearm rotation and expect it to close without active use of the arms and hands. As long as you keep connected, your pivot moving, hands low through impact, turn deep in the backswing, the club face will square itself up every time. It took a long time for my brain to accept this so I kept fighting an over the top move in an attempt to square the face with intention. If released properly, more forearm rotation gives the club face more momentum to aggressively square up at impact. Let physics do the work for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors