Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Nike VR Pro Blades

97 replies to this topic

#1 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4664

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

I went to Golf Town this morning first thing. I figured nobody would be there and I was right. Anyway, I went into one of the bays and hit a variety of demo 6-irons: Mizuno, Adams, TM, Titleist, Ping, and Nike in a variety of flavors. No one bothered me, just me, my inner muse, and a bunch of 6-irons.

I had the best results with this:

VR-Pro-Blade_CROP-300x300.jpg

Best feel, best numbers, best results.

I hit some GI's, which is what I've always played, but the results weren't quite the same as Nike VR Pro. The Mizuno's I hit felt okay, but not like the Nike. I even hit an SGI TM RBZ Max 6-iron (graphite and 26º) but I hit the VR Pro (31º), further and straighter.

When I was finished I was surprised to see the shaft was a Dynamic Gold S300, which is something I would never consider. It felt really smooth.

Overall this Nike VR Pro 6-iron felt fantastic. I kept coming back to it. With the exception of one shot, I hit every shot solid. That wasn't the case with any of the other irons. I also liked how it looked at set-up...the smaller profile, thinner topline, less offset. I normally play +1 inch and 3º upright. I have no idea what the length and lie of this demo was.

Am I going to run out and buy a set of Nike VR Pro's? No. But, it begs the question whether someone of my "ilk", i.e., not a golf stud, can bag a set of these. Conventional wisdom says no. But for how long do you listen to conventional wisdom?

Anyway, I'll probably go back and hit this demo, as well as others throughout the winter and see what happens.

Hey...be nice.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Thug Hunter

Thug Hunter

RE2PECT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20005
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

I always demo a club multiple times/days so I can eliminate the possibility of making my decision based on a good ball striking day.
Callaway Optiforce 440 w/Diamana S+ X
Callaway Optiforce 17 w/Diamana S+ X
Callaway X Hot Pro 20 Hybrid w/PXV 6.0
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #8
WITB Link

#3 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 2057

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Yeah but if you buy them now the people who start the "will rory make you buy Nike" threads will accuse you of copying him.

#4 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostThug Hunter, on 03 November 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

I always demo a club multiple times/days so I can eliminate the possibility of making my decision based on a good ball striking day.
That was my thought. Plus, being in the Northeast I'm in no rush to run out an buy anything based on one session.

View PostThrillhouse, on 03 November 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

Yeah but if you buy them now the people who start the "will rory make you buy Nike" threads will accuse you of copying him.
Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing. But I believe I'm too old for that Scheiße.
Hey...be nice.

#5 tmax77

tmax77

Tour Winner

• 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 256
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostSean2, on 03 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

I went to Golf Town this morning first thing. I figured nobody would be there and I was right. Anyway, I went into one of the bays and hit a variety of demo 6-irons: Mizuno, Adams, TM, Titleist, Ping, and Nike in a variety of flavors. No one bothered me, just me, my inner muse, and a bunch of 6-irons.

I had the best results with this:

Attachment VR-Pro-Blade_CROP-300x300.jpg

Best feel, best numbers, best results.

I hit some GI's, which is what I've always played, but the results weren't quite the same as Nike VR Pro. The Mizuno's I hit felt okay, but not like the Nike. I even hit an SGI TM RBZ Max 6-iron (graphite and 26º) but I hit the VR Pro (31º), further and straighter.

When I was finished I was surprised to see the shaft was a Dynamic Gold S300, which is something I would never consider. It felt really smooth.

Overall this Nike VR Pro 6-iron felt fantastic. I kept coming back to it. With the exception of one shot, I hit every shot solid. That wasn't the case with any of the other irons. I also liked how it looked at set-up...the smaller profile, thinner topline, less offset. I normally play +1 inch and 3º upright. I have no idea what the length and lie of this demo was.

Am I going to run out and buy a set of Nike VR Pro's? No. But, it begs the question whether someone of my "ilk", i.e., not a golf stud, can bag a set of these. Conventional wisdom says no. But for how long do you listen to conventional wisdom?

Anyway, I'll probably go back and hit this demo, as well as others throughout the winter and see what happens.

The club is awesome...one of my favorites that I have hit all year...best feeling one I have hit all year and that includes some mizuno's

913 d3 9.5 white tie prototype
913 fd 18 /913 21 degree white tie 7x3
AP1 712 4-pw, AP2 714 4-p kb tour
Sm4 vokey 50, 56 bent to 55 kb tour
Sm vokey 60 project x
Scotty mil-spec / Bettinardi prototype

#6 PZero

PZero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1482

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I played the VR Pro Blades for a season, by far the best irons I've ever played. If my ball striking didn't go south I'd still be playing them.

I have a feeling more people will suddenly (rory) become a big fan of them over the next year or so.
R11S 10.5 Whiteboad 63S
TEE XCG7 15
TM R9 19
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey 50, TVD 56
Studio Select Newport

#7 Yepyukon

Yepyukon

Hinge + Hold

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81307
  • Handicap:1.3
  • Ebay ID:rockypokeronline
GolfWRX Likes : 627

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I put them up against my Callaway X-Forged '09, Mizuno MP-62's and Bridgestone J33B's and the Nike VR Pro's won flat out.  Have had them in my bag now for a little over a season and I doubt they come out any time soon.
Covert Tour 2.0 11.5* w/ Kuro Kage
VR Pro LE 15* w/ Project X 6.5
VR Pro LE 19* w/ Project X 6.5
VRS 4, VR Pro Combo 5-PW w/ PXF 6.5
Odyssey Tour Black #5 35"
VR Forged 52*, 56*, 58* w/ Tour Concepts

#8 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for you comments. I know I'll be back at Golf Town to take these for another spin. I want to make sure it wasn't my imagination. I never hit a club that felt so good.
Hey...be nice.

#9 TheMerryTex

TheMerryTex

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128115
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Nike VR Blades are sick man... Hands down se of the best performing and smoothest feeling blades I've hit. Playing the VR Pro Combo irons, I'd love to get the 5-7 in blades and have the pockets in 3,4. When you pure these clubs, amazing feel and it's what you should expect from a well made blade. Great sticks, GOOD LUCK!

#10 SirHackAlot

SirHackAlot

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130160
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

imo..the vr pros are the prettiest blade currently offered...mizzy lost me with the giant candybar hangin off the back of their blades...love the previous mps...love my titleist cb's as well

played forged blades wen i was a single...ball striking/control was so much fun

Edited by SirHackAlot, 03 November 2012 - 10:48 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1264

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'm thinking about buying a set of these to add to my blade iron collection.  I love the old style all chromed out look that many other oems have went away from.

#12 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Until someone hits a forged blade flush they can never understand what all the fuss is about, but when you do .......oh my!  Through experience I have come to believe that certain clubs just seem to match up well for an individuals swing, when you happen to hit one it is nervana. Same thing happened to me with a set of MP 32's I bought last winter. My intention was to use them at the range but everytime I hit them side by side with other irons I own they performed better for me then my more forgiving sets. In June I finally decided to put them in play and they have seen most of my play this year.

Glad you had so much fun hitting them and now you have a winter project in Golftown's simulator : Duel of the forged 6 irons.
Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#13 bushy007

bushy007

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146741
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

They are my favourites too. Imagine all the Titleist heads on this site if, heaven forbid, Rory and Tiger both win 2 majors each and half a dozen other events between them next year??? Wouldnt that be funny? :taunt:

#14 lilcaeser

lilcaeser

Advanced

• 421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10962
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:lilcaeser
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

just picked up some original nike blades ,i think they're even better than the vr pros ( which i've had and loved but ,,,,) the pros are solid and smooth but the originals are ''buttery'' like miuras ,,,

#15 ecfritts

ecfritts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86369
  • Ebay ID:ecfritts
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I've never understood why people bash Nike as inferior equiptment...their irons are endo forged and they have some great club makers working for them.  Look, I'm no Nike homer...doensn't matter to me either way what people like.  I owned a set of the split cavities a few years back and those things were awesome (always chasing the next best thing is the only reason I got rid of them-big mistake).  I have been eyeing a set of the Vr Pro Combos...I just don't get to play & pratice as much as I used to-family & work take priority now.  To summarize, in my opinion, Nike makes good equiptment & I've owned Mizuno, Titleist, Ping, ect...I'm also a believer that you have to like looking down at your clubs...some folks just don't like the GI stuff...different strokes for different folks.

#16 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Agreed with many others on this thread.  Nike's forged irons are fantastic, but some many people crap on Nike because they are Nike.  

Glad your experience is what many others have found!  Nike (irons) are legit!

#17 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • 21,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1264

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

View Postbushy007, on 04 November 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

They are my favourites too. Imagine all the Titleist heads on this site if, heaven forbid, Rory and Tiger both win 2 majors each and half a dozen other events between them next year??? Wouldnt that be funny? :taunt:

That is probably going to happen next year and I cannot wait to see what the haters say after the fact.  It's going to be fun to see how this unfolds...

#18 craz-e

craz-e

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

I have always been a fan of the Nike blades, from the originals to these all are superb. Looking forward to the next model

#19 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postecfritts, on 04 November 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I've never understood why people bash Nike as inferior equiptment...their irons are endo forged and they have some great club makers working for them.  Look, I'm no Nike homer...doensn't matter to me either way what people like.  I owned a set of the split cavities a few years back and those things were awesome (always chasing the next best thing is the only reason I got rid of them-big mistake).  I have been eyeing a set of the Vr Pro Combos...I just don't get to play & pratice as much as I used to-family & work take priority now.  To summarize, in my opinion, Nike makes good equiptment & I've owned Mizuno, Titleist, Ping, ect...I'm also a believer that you have to like looking down at your clubs...some folks just don't like the GI stuff...different strokes for different folks.

People bash nike because if you have hit all of their stuff since they started making clubs you've hit a lot of crap over the years. Their new forgings are nice, and they've made some great drivers and wedges recently, and some good putters recently, but after wading through all the crap they've produced to get here a lot of people have a sour taste in their mouths.

#20 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,382 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 04 November 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

That is probably going to happen next year and I cannot wait to see what the haters say after the fact.  It's going to be fun to see how this unfolds...

You'll find that people who don't like Nike still won't like it, just like people who don't like taylormade or titleist still won't like that stuff no matter how many wins their staffers get.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostAChapa8807, on 03 November 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Nike VR Blades are sick man... Hands down se of the best performing and smoothest feeling blades I've hit. Playing the VR Pro Combo irons, I'd love to get the 5-7 in blades and have the pockets in 3,4. When you pure these clubs, amazing feel and it's what you should expect from a well made blade. Great sticks, GOOD LUCK!
The feel is what surprised me. Never quite felt that before. Thanks!
Hey...be nice.

#22 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostGbyeball, on 04 November 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Until someone hits a forged blade flush they can never understand what all the fuss is about, but when you do .......oh my!  Through experience I have come to believe that certain clubs just seem to match up well for an individuals swing, when you happen to hit one it is nervana. Same thing happened to me with a set of MP 32's I bought last winter. My intention was to use them at the range but everytime I hit them side by side with other irons I own they performed better for me then my more forgiving sets. In June I finally decided to put them in play and they have seen most of my play this year.

Glad you had so much fun hitting them and now you have a winter project in Golftown's simulator : Duel of the forged 6 irons.
Oh my was right. I just hit this club for the heck of it. I also like the idea of having a winter project...it'll give me something to do. :-)
Hey...be nice.

#23 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostAChapa8807, on 03 November 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

The club sure surprised me. I never hit a Nike iron before.
Hey...be nice.

#24 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

View Postecfritts, on 04 November 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

The club felt great and seemed extremely well made. I don't know what all the fuss is about. No one in the golf business today can afford to make inferior equipment.
Hey...be nice.

#25 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostSkaffa77, on 04 November 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

Agreed with many others on this thread.  Nike's forged irons are fantastic, but some many people crap on Nike because they are Nike.  

Glad your experience is what many others have found!  Nike (irons) are legit!
Thanks Skaffa. :-)

Hey...be nice.

#26 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

That would be. But if it turns out these are the clubs for me, maybe I can't buy them anyway...I don't want to be accused of being a poser. :-)
Hey...be nice.

#27 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 04 November 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 04 November 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

You'll find that people who don't like Nike still won't like it, just like people who don't like taylormade or titleist still won't like that stuff no matter how many wins their staffers get.
I'll never understand why anyone would get emotional over OEM's and the golf equipment they produce.
Hey...be nice.

#28 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5472

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

i hit S3 pros for about 20 minutes at golftown yesterday. They had them brand new in the plastic for 375$ at the demo day. Almost wanted to grab them but not sure i'm ready to go away from SGI's!
Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5 w/Ozik Red Tie
Cobra Bio Cell 13 w/PXV
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#29 geaux.golf

geaux.golf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159413
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

If anyone is looking for a great deal on a set of these shoot me a pm I'm looking to move a set sell or trade

Edited by ashleybz2012, 04 November 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#30 ocu_canadian

ocu_canadian

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75306
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

I as well will be throwing a set of LH on BST here soon....PM me for details

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors