Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do I get from pro impact and punisher drills to full swing?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139603
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have spent several days working on nothing but the punisher and pro impact drills.  I will hit one full bag using each drill.  I decided to end my session yesterday with some full swings and it wasn't good.  I was shifting my upper body forward on the downswing and had both arms bent at impact.  How do you make the transition from these drills to the full swing?  Also is there anything I can do to also work on keeping my head back while doing these drills?  And one last question if I may, does anyone else find that they need a very strong grip during these drills to hit the ball straight?

Thanks.

Edited by Jseale, 03 November 2012 - 10:54 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Several days is hardly sufficient to incorporate new physical motions.Moving your entire body forward  indicates that It you are performing these drills incorrectly so post a front and dtl video of these drills.

#3 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

View Postrussc, on 04 November 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Several days is hardly sufficient to incorporate new physical motions.Moving your entire body forward  indicates that It you are performing these drills incorrectly so post a front and dtl video of these drills.

I will try and get some DTL videos tomorrow, but I have these face on from Friday.  bare with me as I have had no luck embedding videos in the past.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...3X7xg_woY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...xj4H3Zvqc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for taking the time to help.

#4 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,534 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Suggestions for the punisher drill
On your back swing keep the extended club on you left side for a slightly  longer period of time .This will give you a feeling that your hips  are turning more going back.
Going down you want to feel that you are really pivoting left  going down.To help with this place a small nerf ball/1/2 credit card deep inside your left armpit and do  not drop it

Golf pro impact drill
Your initial setup position is a problem  .Your hands should be centered ,not towards your right thigh and your wrists should be COMPLETLEY SET .The shaft should be parallel to the ground ..then  you just pivot until your left  arm reaches 9:00 and then just  pivot going  through.The nerf ball as mentioned above will help going dwon

Edited by russc, 04 November 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#5 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions russc.  

My early wrist break is what causes the club extension to come off of my side isn't it?  So break my wrists later?
By pivot left do you just mean turn my left side harder/faster?

By moving my hands to the center of my body, my right elbow will be more in front of my hip correct?

Thanks again for your help.

#6 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

OP, even on the Punisher drill you've got your head moving on the backswing and downswing, so I imagine that on a full swing with a regular club your upper body is really moving in both directions.  Watch the videos in 0.25x speed on YouTube and put a cursor on your head and see the movement.  On little swings like this there shouldn't be much left and right with your head/upper body.

#7 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

View Postcarrera, on 05 November 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

OP, even on the Punisher drill you've got your head moving on the backswing and downswing, so I imagine that on a full swing with a regular club your upper body is really moving in both directions.  Watch the videos in 0.25x speed on YouTube and put a cursor on your head and see the movement.  On little swings like this there shouldn't be much left and right with your head/upper body.

I totally agree.  I have a big upper body sway and it is killing me.  I used to hit my 8 iron 165 yds with a nice draw and now it's a 145 yd weak fade and I think my head movement is the problem.  I just have no idea how to fix it.  I have managed to make some swings while keeping my head behind the ball but it causes my to fall back and flip at the ball.  That's why I started doing these two drills, hoping to find a way to stay behind the ball but not flip.

#8 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Here is a face on and dtl video on the pro impact drill from today.  I worked on fixing my setup per russc suggestions and tried to keep my head still, but didn't have much luck.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...Wo7Wafos0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...8KX6XILBY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I finished my session again with some full swings and it is still pretty aweful.  Coming over the top and casting.

#9 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Keeping your head from moving to the left on the downswing will probably have to feel like it is moving to the right for you.  Golf is funny...even tiny changes feel monumental.  Suggestion:  film yourself feeling like your head is moving right on the downswing...I bet on film it will be staying still.

#10 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion carrera.  I'll give it a shot.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Dude, you're a genius.  Just filmed some swings in the house with the feeling of moving my head right during the downswing and it didn't move an inch.  I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works during a real swing.  I feel like I'm hitting up but the video shows otherwise.  Still need to work on the punisher and pro impact drills but this is definitely a huge help.  

Thanks

#12 Jseale

Jseale

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

Does anyone disagree with this advise of feeling like you move your head away from the target during the downswing?  I've read a couple of posts on here that say that trying to keep the head still is treating the symptom rather than the problem, but from what I've seen so far, it sure seems to fix a couple of the big problems too.  This is the first time I've been able to keep my head behind the ball without feeling like i was making some huge compensating moves.  Of course the real test will come at the range tomorrow.

#13 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostJseale, on 06 November 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

Does anyone disagree with this advise of feeling like you move your head away from the target during the downswing?  I've read a couple of posts on here that say that trying to keep the head still is treating the symptom rather than the problem, but from what I've seen so far, it sure seems to fix a couple of the big problems too.  This is the first time I've been able to keep my head behind the ball without feeling like i was making some huge compensating moves.  Of course the real test will come at the range tomorrow.

Not really advice, just a suggestion for you.  Anyone who is having trouble keeping their upper body from moving left on the downswing with a half-speed 9-3 type swing has NO chance of avoiding an even bigger move with a full swing.  So you need something to trick your brain into getting comfortable swinging without a big lateral sway.  

As I said, it is just a suggestion...you are a MILE away from having to worry about being ball-bound (said with no offense intended).  Good luck.

#14 tommykrebs

tommykrebs

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128692
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

First let me say: I have no idea how a pivot driven-body rotational-SF-release works. Really. I don't have a clue. But I know exactly what you are trying to do and how it feels. At the top of your swing you are making the ball the target and this will ruin everything. The green lines is your shaft in the backswing (5 stages) and the red lines your downswing (4 stages). As you can see at the moment the shaft change the direction it went straight down towards the ball. Instead of dropping down and rotating thru the ball you produce a forceful pretty steep hit into the ball and because of that you lose the tush line too. (blue lines) And this will reduce the room for your arms to a minimum.

Sorry, I have no solution for you but I think the problem is much harder to solve than you think. IMO you need a pro and there is no little tweak that will help you.

[attachment=1410439:UP.jpg]   [attachment=1410441:DOWN.jpg]

Edited by tommykrebs, 06 November 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#15 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,534 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

A few issues with your newest swings with the pro impact drill.First you want to have the shaft parallel to the ground and the target line at setup .you currently have the shaft parallel to the ground;you also need it parallel to the target line.Second you should toe out your left foot 1/4 turn to the target.this will aid in downside rotation.Third you need to set up with 6-8 degrees of spine tilt at setup Goto my post #4166 on the 9-3 forum (page #139) for a detailed description on how to do this.Fourth you are sway loading (laterally moving )your entire body going back .Just place your cursor on the outside of your left hip at setup and watch your left hip move laterally going back.YOur head is just moving with your body.If you did  not move your head you would be reverse pivoting.The probability is that this sway loading will only get worse during longer swings  .Because you move laterally going back ,you need to move laterally going down to just get back to your initial starting point.With short swings like the 9-3 ,laterally  motion  going back should be nonexistent  and  should be  should be barely discernible going down.
   Basically you need to fix your backswing and the downswing will automatically improve .After setting up with the spine tilt as mentioned ,you  should think of  JUST ROTATING around your tilted spine going back with NO,NONE lateral  motion at all.During full swings there still should be no lateral motion at the hip area and only  a small amount of lateral motion by the head at the end of the backswing.
Currently going down ,you actually steepen your angle of attack as Tommy has pointed out.This should be much less of an issue once you fix your backswing
To answer your previous questions ,it is not really a question of your wrist break but your left arm disconnecting from  your body.
Think of  the center of your pivot as your belly button and rotate your  belly button all the way through to the finish
Yes this will place your right elbow in front of your hip.Review Martin's video  ,where he mentions this specifically

This back and forth discussion  illustrates the limitations of this medium.The mistakes that you are doing in your setup could be fixed in 5 minutes of hands on instruction with someone who understood the problem

Edited by russc, 06 November 2012 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors