Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

First Tourny Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BENNYSUPREME

BENNYSUPREME

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37544
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

So its the week before my first ever tournament,  3 days.  I think I'm going to relax and not play any golf what so ever.  The last month I have been playing some of my best golf ever.  I dropped my index almost 3 full points. I went from a 12.6 to a 9.7.  Well the last week I have blown up. shotting 3 high 90's.

Is taking the week off good or should I go work on my irons.  I have struggled really bad with them.  I normally strike the ball ok but the last week has been nothing less the Awefull.  Par 3s have been the worst.

I need help on what I should do.

Range, play 18 like I normally would, go to par 3, or nothing,  maybe just putt.

HELP.

Adams Tour LS 9.5(10.5*) w/DI6x
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-PW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 converter
52*/56*/60* 2 Dot Cleveland Reg 588 CBs
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

My advice would be to get a good range session in with your irons.  Hitting nice slow and smooth...don't worry about much else other than contact and focus on the sound.  Focus on the shorter irons to start to build back that confidence you seem to have lost.  I would even spend a lot of the first part hitting the 52 or the PW.  I especially like taking my PW and instead of hitting it to 140(pushing it to max distance), I just imagine I have a 120-125 shot and am trying to put it close.  In other words, use a confidence club and smooth it.

I then like to hit short putts and hear that cup sound a lot.

I mention sound because you can change your mindset from visual to sound and build confidence that way.

Best of luck in your event.

Edited by puttnforthe8, 03 November 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#3 Pinseeker30

Pinseeker30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209269
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I wouldnt just take the week off, but thats just my opinion. If I take a week off my +2 turns into more like a 7 or an 8. I would just go to the range and do whatever your normal routine is when there. Golf is all about routine and confidence. But theres no way if i shot a couple rounds in the 90's and a tournament coming up, would I just sit on the sidelines until tournament time. Goodluck and I hope you do well.

#4 getting_to_scratch

getting_to_scratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153763
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Relax and visualize how you were hitting the ball when you were striping it.  Once you have one solid range session and your confidence is back forget about your swing and make it a fight between you and the course where the tourney is.  Analyze and plan out your strategy for attacking this course and get lost in the process. Focus on the routine and how you are going to win this tournament.
SLDR Matrix Rul 60 S
TEE XCG5 Blueboard 83S
Wilson FG62 Blades 4-PW
Vokey's 52, 55, 59
SeeMore FGP Platinum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors