Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Weird wedge yardage troubles

wedge yardage troubles gap pitching

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 changman

changman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188050
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

I have a problem with the distance gapping between my pitching wedge (ap2 08 model) and my gap wedge.  Earlier this year I hit my pitching wedge (47*) about 115 and my 52* gap wedge 100-ish which is a pretty good yardage gap.  Then over the course of about a week, I suddenly lost about 10 yard of distance on it making the yardage gap a little too big for comfort

My first solution was to buy a new cg15 wedge (the old one was a sonartec that was heavier and shorter than my 58* which I thought was the reason for the loss of distance).  This however didn't really work out so I just learned how to hit a very easy pitching wedge under 100 yards.  Unfortunately, yardage on all of my irons has increased over the year making the distance gap between the pitching wedge and the gap wedge about 30+ yards, a little too big for comfort.

Obviously I could just buy a 48* wedge or something but I really don't want to have to rearrange my bag on the hybrids/long iron end if the fix is simple.  A 5 degree gap should not be creating that large of a gap (I even tried a wedge that had a matching shaft to the ap2).  Does anyone know what to do? Is it the flawed design of wedges (as per Scor golf), the shaft, or just me?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,808 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1461

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well without seeing the ball flight or your swing. Two things come to mind...
1. Have your lofts checked to make sure they are not off by a degree or two.
2. You may be opening the blade (adding loft) and losing distance due to that.

Really hard to give you an answer without seeing anything.

Also "I just learned how to hit a very easy pitching wedge under 100 yards." Sounds like you are slowing down your swing rather than taking a shorter back swing. This method will reak havock on your short game. I am not saying you can't do it, but it's very hard to be consistent when your swinging "easy" as compared to using the 1/4 swing, half swing, 3/4 swing and full swing method.

I know that probably wasn't much help, good luck and maybe another member has a better answer than mine for you.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#3 Lefty1987

Lefty1987

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134644
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Could be scooping (not hitting down)

#4 MixedBag

MixedBag

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142199
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I agree with lefty.  I recently went through a 3 week phase of sweeping.   I literally went from a digger/driver to a sweeper/slider and my distance was all messed up.  Thank goodness I have resolved that issues.

#5 Joe26

Joe26

#PunterSwag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176956
  • Ebay ID:Tyrod_5
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

My situation is pretty much exactly the same. I have taken lessons without success. PW(45*) = 145, Vokey 52* 110-105. I did buy a used 48* but it hasn't helped much. In the process of trying to fix this, I am now scared to take a full or 3/4 wedge shot with anything behind the green. I tried a tour striker but I just can't hit it, the ball goes almost straight into the ground.

So if you find a solution. lmk

G25 9.5*
Super 9031 20* & 23*
G25 7-U, G15 5-6
Tour S 56* & 60*
White Hot Pro #7

#6 +Church

+Church

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147683
  • Ebay ID:church717
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Do you play another wedge?  If so what loft and how far do you hit it?  I agree with Lefty as well, some people are... Intimidated? if that's the word, with their wedges and tend to have no shaft lean and never hit down on the ball with them.

#7 changman

changman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I started to use an old titleist dci pitching wedge that nicely fills in the gap between my other pitching wedge and my gap wedge.  Just don't understand why they all go different distances than their lofts should go

#8 changman

changman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

And I'm definitely not scooping it

#9 lilmike24

lilmike24