Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

YoutTube video could make you think twice iron shaft choice

irons shaft equipment

37 replies to this topic

#1 33 Handicap

33 Handicap

Psalms 37:23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75705
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

http://youtu.be/8MLDfgiJuFI?t=1s

Edited by 33 Handicap, 02 November 2012 - 07:43 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2258

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

View Post33 Handicap, on 02 November 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8MLDfgiJuFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FAIL!
LOL fix it OP, you have me curious now!
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#3 33 Handicap

33 Handicap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Fixed.

#4 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 871

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Here's the correct link:  http://www.youtube.c...bed/8MLDfgiJuFI

& it's about time someone started to dispel some of the ridiculous rumors about the significance of shaft "stiffness".

#5 PingG10guy

PingG10guy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77622
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

dispersion wasnt mentioned...just sayin

#6 Man In The Miura

Man In The Miura

Heee heee heee!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97915
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Mark is obviously a really bright guy.  His videos are great.  Since he was on the Trackman, I'd have liked to have seen more data... a more comprehensive look at dispersion, ball speed, and spin rate.

But I agree with his conclusion:  feel, feel, feel.

#7 ATLRay

ATLRay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200739
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Mark has dropped at least 5 strokes off my game! Love that guy.

#8 indygolfman

indygolfman

Close the distance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85183
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

What about spin?  Or is that a product of the launch angle/dynamic loft/swing speed?  (Honest question)

Couldn't you have those same launch characteristics but with different spin rates?
SLDR - Speeder 757
Ping G25 15* - Rombax 8Z08
Cally Razr Fit 18* - Rombax 8Z08
TM MC 3-PW - DG
White Hot #1
Callaway X-Forged 54/58 - DG

#9 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1663

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

I think I've said the shaft really doesn't matter that much about 100 times in recent months...lol.

I think a lot of the shaft now is feel.  If you're looking for huge differences by changing shafts... won't happen.  With that said I like cool shafts as much as the next guy.

I didn't watch this video past the two minute mark so I don't know what he said past that.

Edited by J.W., 02 November 2012 - 09:04 PM.

915D2 (8.5) - Black DI-8
915F (16.5) - Rombax P95
712U (4), AP2 (5-PW) - KBS Tour V
Vokey (50, 55, 60) - DG Tour Issue
Cameron GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#10 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1794

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostPingG10guy, on 02 November 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

dispersion wasnt mentioned...just sayin
+1 I would like to see more data as mentioned.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 GolfMonster09

GolfMonster09

I've chili-dipped the wedge...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141937
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Would like to see a robotic test of different shafts. Get the robot to swing the club - same head, swing speed, contact, smash factors, etc. - with shafts of different flexes. A comprehensive comparative scientific test of the effects of different shafts on ball flight, distance, dispersion, spin rates, etc.

Anybody have access to that kind of stuff? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
WITB UNDER CONSTRUCTION

#12 Back9

Back9

Advanced

• 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44146
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

The problem with this particular "experiment" is that he is not swinging hard enough to flex the shaft significantly on his hard swing.  He is below the dynamic range of that shaft and so it performs essentially the same for both swings.  If he would swing at say 100mph, he would be more into the range where an extra stiff shaft would be expected to exhibit different performance characteristcs than a less stiff shaft. Of course those performance differences would be manifested by more than just launch angle.  one would expect to see differences in spin, dispersion, ballspeed, etc. as well.

Obviously flex is only one component of a shaft.  Torque, flexpoint, subsection stiffness all contribute to significant differences in actual, measurable performance, not just feel.

#13 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1663

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostBack9, on 02 November 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

The problem with this particular "experiment" is that he is not swinging hard enough to flex the shaft significantly on his hard swing.  He is below the dynamic range of that shaft and so it performs essentially the same for both swings.  If he would swing at say 100mph, he would be more into the range where an extra stiff shaft would be expected to exhibit different performance characteristcs than a less stiff shaft. Of course those performance differences would be manifested by more than just launch angle.  one would expect to see differences in spin, dispersion, ballspeed, etc. as well.

Obviously flex is only one component of a shaft.  Torque, flexpoint, subsection stiffness all contribute to significant differences in actual, measurable performance, not just feel.

Sure, the harder you swing and the later you release the club is where the shaft will really start to perform.  You see tons of guys on tour playing random steel shafts that they would never be fit into if they weren't already playing them.  I swing a 6 iron at probably 92 mph or so and I could literally choose 1 of 5-6 shafts that will give me very good numbers but at the end of the day the feel aspect is more important for me.  There is no question that going from ladies graphite to x100 is going to have some effects...  But going from C-Taper to DG to PX or similar is only going to drastically change if the player swinging the club drastically changes some things or hates/loves the feel of one.
915D2 (8.5) - Black DI-8
915F (16.5) - Rombax P95
712U (4), AP2 (5-PW) - KBS Tour V
Vokey (50, 55, 60) - DG Tour Issue
Cameron GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#14 seasterl

seasterl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204765
  • Ebay ID:seasterl
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Great point, Back9!  His SS is too low to even be in the X100 range, so it stands to reason that he would get the results he got with that shaft.  The other problem with using a flex not stiff enough is erratic toe droop and leaving the face open.  At the other extreme, it too stiff, there could be a deterioration of feel. I think distance would also be maximized with the ideal shaft flex, too. What I got out of the video was that there is still likely a lot of latitude or forgiveness from a properly fitted shaft to accommodate as much swing speed variation most will have during a round.

#15 bladestriker

bladestriker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostBack9, on 02 November 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

I must have missed what club this was, but if it's a 6 iron he's on the bottom end of "recommended" X flex.  85 mph and up 5 iron, recommended X100

Nike Vr Pro Ltd.II 8.5 Diamana WB 73x
Tour RBZ stage 2 13 RIP ∂80x
PING ISI BeNi ZZ-65 2-sw
PING Sedona

#16 33 Handicap

33 Handicap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

the point being made, if you play a stiff or regular gains or losses made are probably not going to be as important as feel.

#17 bushy007

bushy007

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146741
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

View Postdschultzatl, on 02 November 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Mark has dropped at least 5 strokes off my game! Love that guy.
Ditto.

#18 OSUBuckeyeFan8

OSUBuckeyeFan8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105571
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

The ladies club/shaft combo is an irrelevant comparison as the loft of the club is certainly stronger than the blade he was hitting.  Also, i don't think he's a good enough player to perfectly repeat his mechanics swinging 20mph slower than normal.  Meaning, there are more variables than shaft flex from his fast swing to the slow swing.  Not saying he has a bad swing or is a bad player but he's not a robot.
Titleist 913 D2, 8.5, AD-BB 7x
Tour Edge CB4, 15, Diamana Blue 83x
Titleist 913hd, 18, AD-DI 105x
Titleist 712 AP2, Project X 7.0
Titleist SM5, 54M & 60K Project X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#19 zink357

zink357

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206119
  • Ebay ID:zink247
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

What about distance and dispersion? Why would he leave those numbers out of the experiment?

#20 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 965

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

This video matches my experience very closely.  Shafts just don't make a huge difference in ball flight.  Yea, they feel different, but the ball doesn't care.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostOSUBuckeyeFan8, on 02 November 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

The ladies club/shaft combo is an irrelevant comparison as the loft of the club is certainly stronger than the blade he was hitting.  Also, i don't think he's a good enough player to perfectly repeat his mechanics swinging 20mph slower than normal.  Meaning, there are more variables than shaft flex from his fast swing to the slow swing.  Not saying he has a bad swing or is a bad player but he's not a robot.

... but isn't that the point?  Robots don't play golf, less than perfect swinging people play golf.

#22 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

View PostGolfMonster09, on 02 November 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Would like to see a robotic test of different shafts. Get the robot to swing the club - same head, swing speed, contact, smash factors, etc. - with shafts of different flexes. A comprehensive comparative scientific test of the effects of different shafts on ball flight, distance, dispersion, spin rates, etc.

PING does, from years of testing with "PINGMan".  

For many years, PING only offered what was essentially a "uniflex" shaft, that would probably be characterized as an "XStiff".  Karsten was convinced, based on the results from PINGMan, that everyone should be playing a very stiff shaft for optimum results.  At least as I understand it, the only reason PING began to offer different flex shafts, was that it was a losing battle to convince players that his analysis was flawed, while every other manufacturer was offering choices.

Some more data:

A visual inspection of body kinematics data revealed
differences in shaft stiffness had no observable effect within a given subject, although obvious and expected differences were noted between subjects. While statistically significant differences were noted among shaft types for clubhead speed, solid hit factor and ball/ clubhead impact location, the actual magnitudes of these differences were considered negligible.   (http://iweb.tms.org/ED/01-5085-23.pdf)

Or here:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22900403

There are 100's of other supposedly scientific studies out there, offering various conclusions.  Most studies however, do conclude that shaft stiffness is irrelevant to ball speed/distance/launch angle.  On the other hand, most analysis of "dispersion" seem to offer inconsistent conclusions.

Edited by BrianL99, 03 November 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#23 smash@gouge

smash@gouge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80035
  • Ebay ID:lnburgh
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

View PostBrianL99, on 03 November 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

For many years, PING only offered what was essentially a "uniflex" shaft, that would probably be characterized as an "XStiff".  Karsten was convinced, based on the results from PINGMan, that everyone should be playing a very stiff shaft for optimum results.  At least as I understand it, the only reason PING began to offer different flex shafts, was that it was a losing battle to convince players that his analysis was flawed, while every other manufacturer was offering choices.

Some more data:

differences in shaft stiffness had no observable effect within a given subject, although obvious and expected differences were noted between subjects. While statistically significant differences were noted among shaft types for clubhead speed, solid hit factor and ball/ clubhead impact location, the actual magnitudes of these differences were considered negligible.   (http://iweb.tms.org/ED/01-5085-23.pdf)

There are 100's of other supposedly scientific studies out there, offering various conclusions.  Most studies however, do conclude that shaft stiffness is irrelevant to ball speed/distance/launch angle.  On the other hand, most analysis of "dispersion" seem to offer inconsistent conclusions.
I played Ping eye 2+ for 14 yrs they came with kt and then later kt-m shafts from ping. had mine tested for flex in the mid 90s by a rep from Tommy Armour and they charted on the high end of x-stiff. I recall him telling me that Pings shafts always freq of the charts compared to most others.Off topic but damn i wifh i never sold those irons
Adams XTD 7.5 Oban Devotion 65-05
TM RBZ stage 2 Tp 13* GD ad-di 7x
Adams Super xtd 17* Ust axivcore 100x
Ping i20 3-pw + 1" green dot cfs x
Odyssey white hot #7
Cobra trusty rusty 53*-61*+ 1" s200

#24 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1202

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostBrianL99, on 03 November 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

Some more data:

A few problems.

1. Robots dont' swing golf clubs like humans do...even though they are able to swing the club exactly the same each time.

2. Humans---even tour pros---are not able to swing a golf club consistently enough from swing to swing to identifiy small differences...unless you measure a LOT of swings.    But then day to day variations and fatigue also act to confound any attempts to standardize.

3. Unless your swing is pretty consistent, you just aren't going to see much difference between one shaft and another.  Because the inconsistencies in the golf swing itself will overwhelm any contribution from the shaft.

4. The more consistent your swing is, the more you will notice the effects that shafts have on ballflight, distance, dispersion and spin rates.   Even if you blind tested me with a KBS tour x, a DGX100, a PX 6.5 and a KBS C-taper X...I would not only be able to tell the difference in terms of feel...I'd also be able to tell the difference in terms of ball flight.

But I can to that today, because my swing has enough repeatability to be able see the effects.  Fifteen years ago, I wouldn't have been able to do that, because of the inconsistency in my swing.
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#25 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

View Postkellygreen, on 03 November 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

1. Robots dont' swing golf clubs like humans do...even though they are able to swing the club exactly the same each time.

2. Humans---even tour pros---are not able to swing a golf club consistently enough from swing to swing to identifiy small differences...unless you measure a LOT of swings. But then day to day variations and fatigue also act to confound any attempts to standardize.

3. Unless your swing is pretty consistent, you just aren't going to see much difference between one shaft and another.  Because the inconsistencies in the golf swing itself will overwhelm any contribution from the shaft.

That's exactly the part that everyone seems to miss, when discussing "fitting", Shaft stiffness, lie, etc.   The average mid-handicapper simply isn't consistent enough to benefit from the nuances.   I'm around 5.7 & I've come to realize that subtle equipment variances, simply don't mean enough to get all that worked up about them.

I know I'll get attacked for this, but the average double-digit handicapper, simply isn't consistent enough to benefit nor even understand the inconsistencies in their swing, as it relates to equipment specifications. If they simply spent 20% of the time they spend worrying about equipment specs on practice ... & 10% of what they spend on buying new equipment on lessons, they'd be much better served in my opinion.

Edited by BrianL99, 03 November 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#26 justhackin

justhackin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41180
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I know I'll get attacked for this, but the average double-digit handicapper, simply isn't consistent enough to benefit nor even understand the inconsistencies in their swing, as it relates to equipment specifications. If they simply spent 20% of the time they spend worrying about equipment specs on practice ... & 10% of what they spend on buying new equipment on lessons, they'd be much better served in my opinion.

I agree 100% except I would say the average single digit needs to spend more on practice/lessons than equipment.

If a person asks me about new clubs/shafts the first thing I do is slide a new grip on for them.  A lot of times they just need/want that new feel!

hackin

#27 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Spin rate and dispersion.  If I hit a ladies flex 6i with a full swing, it's going to spin like a monster.  It could be side to side, it could be balloned, it could be sucked off a green, whatever.  It's going to be spinning like a gyroscope....

#28 vix02

vix02

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89110
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Great thread....bringing me back to earth.

I agree with the steel shafts\irons but not sure if I agree with graphite shafts.  Some shafts will bring the left side into play where others I have a hard time working the ball.

Hard Step some PXi 6.5's in my CB's instead of my C tapers...hmm I like it.  Wife liking it?  not so much
Titleist 913 D2 9.5* Speeder 661
Titleist 913 Fd 15*  Speeder 757
Titleist 913 Hd 20* VTS Silver TourSPX
PING S55 4-PW PXi 6.5
Vokey TVD K 54, 60 TI S400
2014 Scotty Cameron Golo 5

#29 justodd

justodd

Chief

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61311
  • Ebay ID:vw_rocks99
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I agree with you but his point gets muddled in his demo. Ladies graphite feels so nice, but baloons like hell... :russian_roulette: I think the decision should be based on performance.

#30 Becon

Becon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190318
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Feel, weight, and how the shaft responds to your swing is much more important than dialing in flex. Especially when brands like KBS and PX are offering 5 flexes per model. My dispersion with DGS300 was better, but I picked KBS Tour because I like how they perform when I'm not hacking away trying grind the ball into dust, and they punish me when I am. My swing tempo has improved dramatically since switching to KBS. The lower weight is also a little less taxing.

Once all that was settled, S flex was fine for me. Almost an afterthought. The R was a bit whippy and X didn't seem necessary.

Edited by Becon, 03 November 2012 - 02:43 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Also tagged with irons, shaft, equipment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors