Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Boy the G20 hybrid is a nice club...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117864
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Doing my club upgrades for next season in steps for monetary reasons.  I was planning to get fairway woods now and irons in the spring.  So I stopped by Golf Galaxy with the intentions of getting a G20 3-wood and 5-wood.  I walked out with a 20* and 23* G20 hybrid.    The woods just didn't do anything for me, but the hybrids were amazing.  You know how sometimes you grab a new club and set it down and you can just tell everythig about it fits your eye, your stance, etc.  This is how I felt the first time I set it down to try it out.  I took 3 swings with it and told the guy 'sold'.  He asked if i wanted to try any other hybrids and I said no way.   Those 3 swings told me everything I needed to know.  The ball just came off so beautifully and felt so good at impact.  Based on the numbers, it had a little more carry than my current hybrids, but even if it didn't I still think I would have ended up buying them.  There was just a comfort level there.  I am an extremely short hitter and i've finally come to realize that i'm never going to find clubs that magically make me hit the ball 20 yards longer.  My goal for my new set of clubs is getting back accuracy and comfort even at the expense of distance.  I mean if you already hit it short you'd better be accurate to overcome not hitting it far and i've been going the wrong way the past 5+ years.  I've been sacrificing accuracy in search of more distance, playing clubs that potentially go farther when hit perfectly but have a far better chance of being offline because they don't fit my swing.  I may end up getting more of the hybrids next year to take the place of a few of the longer irons once I see how I hit my new irons next year.

And speaking of those irons, the guy there also spent some time letting me hit the G20 7 iron with various shafts.   The G20 iron was very similar in first impression to the hybrid.  It just looked right and setup right the first time I got it in my hands and I am stoked to get these next year.  I tried both graphite and steel and I came away with the knowledge that I am going back to steel when I get these.   The graphites were lighter and I averaged a little better carry distance (2 or 3 more yards), but the dispersion was greater with a lot of pulled shots.  The club actually felt too light and I could never tell where the head was during the swing.  With the steel, I could feel the head throughout the entire swing and I just felt more comfortable making a swing.  The dispersion was ridiculously small. At one point I hit 5 in a row where the average dispersion off the little yellow center line was 3 inches with 3 shots only being one inch off the line.    I'll gladly give up a few yards of distance for that kind of accuracy.   We talked about lie angle because the bottom impact tape was showing my impact with the ground was out on the toe a bit even though the face impact was dead center.  I guess that means I need a flatter lie angle, but that's something i'll worry about in the spring.  For now i'll just dream of what may be possible if these irons perform anything like I saw today off  the practice matt.

Thanks for listening and sorry for my ramblings.  I'm just so excited and my family really doesn't give a you know what about my golf obsession so I can't gush over it to them.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Glad you are finding what you really want/need. I learned a long time ago that Sam  Snead was correct about a lot of things. One being, 'the woods are full of big hitters.' ( though Sam Snead was no 'shorty' )
You have a far better chance of par by being in the fairway off the tee or on the green on a par 3 than if you slug it 20,30,40 yds further in the bushes, rough, etc.Of course long and accurate would be the ideal.
The other thing more people would do better with their scores is not worry what the 'other guy' hits. If the other guy hits a 7 iron 160 yds and you need a 5 so what. Who's on. And even if the other guy is on with 1,2,3 clubs less than you what's the big deal?
Heck, I wish I could hit a 7 iron 180 yds too, but I can't so you play the girl that will dance with you.
Golf is hard enough as it is, even if you're a single digit, why not find what will give you best opportunities to score. Sounds like you have.

#3 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

In this world not of it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 3313

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

No need to apologize for your ramblings. I enjoy reading
threads by guys like you; who are more like me. And I like
the excitement in your words.

By most accounts the G20 hybrids really perform, just
some don't like the looks and offset.  I was in that camp
but have come around. Since most golfers struggle with
fairway woods, they will struggle with halo style hybrids
that are essentially small headed/higher lofted fairway
woods.

The more iron like, offset G20 should be much easier
to hit for most. I'm thinking of getting a 20 degree one
to try out. All 3 iron sets I own (Ping S58/I20/Rapture V2)
have some to a lot of offset in the 4 iron so offset in a
hybrid is not a bother.

If I like the 20 degree then I'll probably get a 17 also
and ditch the 3 wood. Ping is, apparently, going back
to the halo style with the G25 hybrids coming out early
next year.

I think price drops are already in effect for the G20
line. After the 1st of the year you'll probably find good
deals on your G20 irons as people get hyped up over
the G25.

#4 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:16.0
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Since we are on the topic, do you find the Ping hybrid style more forgiving than a traditional halo style?
Reason I ask is because I tried to game the G15 hybrids and after a few rounds I hit some really awful shots with them and got rid of them.

Now I currently game Mizuno JPX800 HD clubs which come with the 4 and 5 fli-hi's which remind me alot of the G15 hybrid shape.
While I have hit some incredible shots with them, I find them to be fairly non-forgiving. I actually found it easier to hit my old Burner Plus 4i over the 4 fli-hi.

I recently picked up an RBZ 4h 22* which is 2.25" longer than 4 Fli-hi (22*) and its not only longer by about 20-25 yards but I find incredibly easier to hit as well.
Maybe it's because I am a sweeper and love FW's over the more iron like Pink and Fli-Hi style.
Ping G30 SF Tec 10* Tour 65
Ping G30 3w
Exotics Trilogy 20*/23*/26* hybrids
Acer XDS React 6-AW Hybrids
Tour Edge 1 Out SW, G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

#5 flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117864
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Since I just got them, today was my first chance to hit them on the course and it was a terrible day to be out there.  43* degrees and windy, but when you get new toys, you'll brave any weather to try them.  Like you, i'm more of a sweeper than a digger so woods tend to be my best clubs as well.   With that said, I really had no issues hitting either hybrid and I hit a lot of them today.  I was basically the only one on the course and I just kept going to a specific yardage on each hole and dropping 10-15 balls down at each spot.  I wanted to see how they compared to my old hybrids (Clevelands) so I picked spots where I would typically hit the same lofted hybrid from my old set.  The G20's are definitely longer and by more than I was expecting.   A beautiful high launch and the ball just seemed to want to stay in the air.

But as for what you asked about, forgiveness, that's a hard one to answer after just one day and especially with the conditions.  I will say that I didn't hit many bad shots with them and I doubt I made that many good swings because i'm not that good a ball striker.  So something was going on, whether it was the club correcting my bad swings or I was just having a good day, but I wasn't offline that often.  For the most part the balls ended up on the green or just slightly off the green with only a small amount being way off the mark.   What I did like was that I never hit a big hook or slice with any of my misses.   The ball just seemed to want to fly straight even on the balls I missed off target badly.  They were more pushes or pulls than hooks\slices.

I can't compare them to anything else because as I said in my original post, I only hit these at the store and knew I didn't want to try anything else.  So far i'd have to say I made a good decision, althought it's only been one day.  I may have a different opinion when I actually have to hit these under the gun with a bet riding on the outcome.

#6 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Best hybrids I've ever hit.  Have them bent to fit your swing and have fun.
Ping G30 10.5* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G30 17* & 21* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping i25 4-9 w/ ZZ65 Cushin
Scor 4161 46*, 50*, 55*, & 60*
NC Crenshaw Proto

#7 juanki

juanki

mexican bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60587
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

i just got some but in the mid irons, i went i15 in 23 and g20 in 27 and 31 and instaled nv 105 shafts, greeeaaat hybrids, if it just existed a 35.

the g15 have upper lies so most of the peolpe didnt like, tall guys sure did, now the g20 are a bit flatter. give these a try.

#8 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 02 November 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

next year.

I actually did this, I have a 20 degree G15 (play irons from 4I down) and really like it. So I assumed I'd like the 17 degree as well.
Wrong. Just haven't got on with it. Was killing time before a flight at Golfsmith on Sunday, was hitting a used i20 17 degree hybrid and loved it.
Subsequently taken it (after purchase! I didn't steal it) to a grass range and am hitting it well. Will be playing rounds Sat/Sun to see how it goes when used in anger :)

Edited by duffer987, 02 November 2012 - 08:36 PM.

Still buying clubs. Doh!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 21*
Mizuno MX23 4-5 | MP33 6-PW
Cally Forged 54* | Wilson 8882
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#9 grat702

grat702

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201339
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

I JUST bought mine last week and have gone out 3x so far and I agree, the 20* hybrid is amazing.  
I am in the minority in that I have always hit a 3 or 4 iron over a hybrid or fairway club (it's how I grew up and what I got comfortable hitting).  I finally gave in to people telling me that I needed some fairways or a hybrid to get more yards on my second shots (I hit a 3 iron 200-210) or out of the rough, which who wouldn't want more yards??  so I bought a TM superfast 3 wood.  I bought it cause of looks and couldn control the thing, faded and sliced it 80% of the time-even shortened it 1/2" to be the same size as other 3 woods but to no avail.  
So I decided to sell it and atleast get a hybrid, had heard a ton about the G20 and went to GG and tried it and loved it.  Hit it farther than my 3 iron and is a heck of a lot easier to get distance out of it from the rough than my irons (duh).
But it is really a great club, don't see myself getting the 4 hybrid though just cause I still like my irons but this is definately a go to club when I need more distance than my 3 iron...and I hit it straight all the time.
TM Jetspeed 10.5*
Ping G15 hybrid 20*
G20 4-UW
Cleveland RTX cb 56* wedge
Ping hohum putter
Ping g20 3 wood

#10 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

In this world not of it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 3313

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

View Postduffer987, on 02 November 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

View PostConrad1953, on 02 November 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

next year.

I actually did this, I have a 20 degree G15 (play irons from 4I down) and really like it. So I assumed I'd like the 17 degree as well.
Wrong. Just haven't got on with it. Was killing time before a flight at Golfsmith on Sunday, was hitting a used i20 17 degree hybrid and loved it.
Subsequently taken it (after purchase! I didn't steal it) to a grass range and am hitting it well. Will be playing rounds Sat/Sun to see how it goes when used in anger :)

I've heard this before. I suppose at a certain point  less
loft leads to more side spin and not enough back spin to
counteract it. Maybe before I get a 17 degree G20 I'll
have to hit one to make sure that's not going to be an
issue. I hit my G10 15 degree hybrid just fine but it
probably is a higher spin hybrid than the G20.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 BuckyBadger

BuckyBadger

I am a horrible golfer but I like Beer!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73088
GolfWRX Likes : 486

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I did not like the G20 hybrids. Too much offset. I love the 5 wood and still have the irons, but I really like my Rescue 11 hybrids alot better. They will never leave my bag.
10.5* PING G30 Tour 65 Stiff
15* RBZ Matrix Ozik 7/S
18* RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S
23* PING G25 TFC-189 Stiff
PING G20 5-LW CFS Stiff Black Dot
34" Bettinardi Studio Stock 15

#12 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1155

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 04 November 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

I've heard this before. I suppose at a certain point  less
loft leads to more side spin and not enough back spin to
counteract it. Maybe before I get a 17 degree G20 I'll
have to hit one to make sure that's not going to be an
issue. I hit my G10 15 degree hybrid just fine but it
probably is a higher spin hybrid than the G20.

It was less a sidespin issue and just a me no hit good shots with it issue :)
The way the clubs are set up, you can turn them over stupidly easily, great if blocked out by trees on the left or want to run one around a bunker; however, the 20* is easy to control and hit straight as well. With the 17* I just didn't get a consistent flight one way or the other. The offset look works for me on the 20* but it doesn't suit my eye (or swing apparently) on the 17*. Again, maybe it needed more time.

Of course that won't happen now. I played two rounds with the i20 this weekend and it is real nice :) Used it off the tee, from the fairway, and from light rough and the contact was really clean and it feels good at impact. Easy to hit a nice draw off the tee and from the turf I was hitting it straight or with a bit of a push. Off the tee I doubt it was going much less than my g20 15* 3W. Woulda been nice to hit them both at the same time, but that's a bit rude to my playing partners.

Edited by duffer987, 04 November 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Still buying clubs. Doh!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 21*
Mizuno MX23 4-5 | MP33 6-PW
Cally Forged 54* | Wilson 8882
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#13 simonmax

simonmax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149761
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

View Posterock9174, on 02 November 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

Since we are on the topic, do you find the Ping hybrid style more forgiving than a traditional halo style?
Reason I ask is because I tried to game the G15 hybrids and after a few rounds I hit some really awful shots with them and got rid of them.

Now I currently game Mizuno JPX800 HD clubs which come with the 4 and 5 fli-hi's which remind me alot of the G15 hybrid shape.
While I have hit some incredible shots with them, I find them to be fairly non-forgiving. I actually found it easier to hit my old Burner Plus 4i over the 4 fli-hi.

I recently picked up an RBZ 4h 22* which is 2.25" longer than 4 Fli-hi (22*) and its not only longer by about 20-25 yards but I find incredibly easier to hit as well.
Maybe it's because I am a sweeper and love FW's over the more iron like Pink and Fli-Hi style.

I find the JPX 800HD irons easier and longer than the G20's (I switch between the two sets regularly).  The JPX 800 HD 4 and 5 irons are indeed good clubs but the JPX Fli-Hi's are easier to hit longer and more consistently.  They are also incredibly good value and look very similar to the Ping hybrid's.

It's taken me some time to get used to the G20 hybrid (I have the 23 degree 4 hybrid) but have now found that to be a wow instead - really long and great out of the rough.  Whilst the G20 hybrid is not pretty to look at, I don't care when it works this well.  That said, the G20 5 wood is much easier to hit and just seems to fly forever - just don't use it in the rough.  In summary, the G20 hybrids and fairway woods are great , but has taken me time to get used to the hybrid.

Incidentally, the most forgiving and easiest to hit hybrid I've found is the Callaway Razr X HL....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors