Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Poll Question: Banning Anchored Putters

287 replies to this topic

Poll: Banning Anchored Putters: Yes or No (421 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favor of banning anchored putters?

1. Yes (198 votes [47.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.03%

2. No (223 votes [52.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Bottlenosedolphin

Bottlenosedolphin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187622
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

I dont support the ban, however i think that when getting a club length to make a drop you shouldn't be allowed to use your 60" broomstick.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Um...who is using a 60" putter??? ....

#63 Zunes

Zunes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59882
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

View Posttembolo1284, on 02 November 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

don't ban the club, ban the technique. Even Yao Ming likes golf...you can't expect the poor chap to play with a 35 inch putter.

Agree. Ban it.
It is never too late to do the right thing.
Anchoring allows you to remove part of the challenge of swinging a club. It lessens or removes the need to control club rotation. Might as well use a golf ball firing gun then all you need to decide is distance and direction.
Ping G30 Driver
Ping G30 5 wood
Ping Karsten 4, 5 hybrids
Ping Karsten irons 6-UW
Scotty Select Newport 2
Nike X3X 52, 56, 60

#64 leadfoot_mf

leadfoot_mf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138024
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

should be a third choice for not caring one way or other.  i guess that would be a no then.

#65 dpark

dpark

5 and counting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 01 November 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

I believe that anchoring a club against in body in a location other than your hands is in conflict with the intent and spirit of the rules of Golf.

+1

1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1978 Ben Hogan Pennyback Medallions 2-E
1980 Ben Hogan Special SI Sand Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

#66 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

• 4,369 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

View Postdpark, on 10 November 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

I believe that anchoring a club against in body in a location other than your hands is in conflict with the intent and spirit of the rules of Golf.

+1
I'm very interested to know how anyone alive today can know what the intent and spirt of the game is.  I did get a text from Old Tom Morris saying something about how awful it is to see people hitting the ball so high in the air...always felt the game was supposed to be played along the ground...

#67 Bottlenosedolphin

Bottlenosedolphin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187622
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 10 November 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

+1
I'm very interested to know how anyone alive today can know what the intent and spirt of the game is.  I did get a text from Old Tom Morris saying something about how awful it is to see people hitting the ball so high in the air...always felt the game was supposed to be played along the ground...

To reiterate...the original intent of the game did not include women, people of color, and poor people.  If we went by your logic we should also ban those previously stated.

#68 dlam

dlam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107490
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostZunes, on 09 November 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

View Posttembolo1284, on 02 November 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

don't ban the club, ban the technique. Even Yao Ming likes golf...you can't expect the poor chap to play with a 35 inch putter.

Agree. Ban it.
It is never too late to do the right thing.
Anchoring allows you to remove part of the challenge of swinging a club. It lessens or removes the need to control club rotation. Might as well use a golf ball firing gun then all you need to decide is distance and direction.

Exactly,
Fat people can use a 35 standard putter like a belly putter
Midgets can use a 35 " putter like a sternum putter too.

#69 threetoehoek

threetoehoek

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28523
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Answer:   No

Reasoning:  I can't putt with them and I can putt with a literal broomstick so they must not be THAT helpful.

#70 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

View Postdlam, on 01 November 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

R&A and USGA get ready for class action from guys on the tour that use long putters for their livihood

On what grounds?  The R&A and USGA's job is to determine the rules of the game.  The can say what they please regarding anchoring.  This is very different than the Casey Martin thing - he had federal protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act and even that case was a stretch and very limited in its decision.

Forum Assassination Response Team

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 943

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostBottlenosedolphin, on 10 November 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

+1

To reiterate...the original intent of the game did not include women, people of color, and poor people.  If we went by your logic we should also ban those previously stated.
What an interesting definition of what the spirit was. Using discrimination, rather than how the game is played and with what tools, to validate yourself.  Ummmm...BIG fail!
R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
R7 3w stock stiff
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
R7 Draw 5 - AW stock stiff graphite
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#72 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1013

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostBottlenosedolphin, on 10 November 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

+1

You're so historically wrong I struggle comprehending the historical extent.  There was no period intentions associated with your assumption.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#73 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1202

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

I am against banning them because:

1. They offer no advantage over any of half-dozen other techniques that are used to "quiet" the hands in a putting stroke.   There is no objective basis to single out just one of these techniques as being "unfair" while permitting other techniques that achieve the same result.

2. What advantage they do offer----greater stability over short putts---is offset by less feel and less stability over medium and long putts.

Let's get real here.

There is only one HONEST reason why people are so hot-and-bothered to ban these putter: they don't like how they look, and they don't like who is using them to win tournaments.   When long putters were just limited to being used by yippy middle-aged touring pros looking to hold onto their games, and there was a stigma attached to using one....everyone was willing to let these "poor souls" keep their crutch.

But now that younger players no longer see any stigma in their use, and just see them as another equipment OPTION to be considered and used...and they are winning BIG tournaments with them....ALL OF A SUDDEN these same putters have become an "intolerable" problem.

Please.

If this were really about "principle" these things would have been banned years ago...and famous yippers like Berhard Langer and Vijay Singh would have had to find other means of employment.
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#74 CheckJV

CheckJV

Male Model

• 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93640
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I voted NO.

Show me the numbers!  If any ruling body of golf wants to limit anchored putting then they need to show that it provides a statistically significant advantage.

Any other reason for a ban is just someone's "feelings" which is not justification for a rule change.

#75 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • 12,050 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 13 November 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

1. They offer no advantage over any of half-dozen other techniques that are used to "quiet" the hands in a putting stroke.   There is no objective basis to single out just one of these techniques as being "unfair" while permitting other techniques that achieve the same result.

2. What advantage they do offer----greater stability over short putts---is offset by less feel and less stability over medium and long putts.

Let's get real here.

There is only one HONEST reason why people are so hot-and-bothered to ban these putter: they don't like how they look, and they don't like who is using them to win tournaments.   When long putters were just limited to being used by yippy middle-aged touring pros looking to hold onto their games, and there was a stigma attached to using one....everyone was willing to let these "poor souls" keep their crutch.

But now that younger players no longer see any stigma in their use, and just see them as another equipment OPTION to be considered and used...and they are winning BIG tournaments with them....ALL OF A SUDDEN these same putters have become an "intolerable" problem.

Please.

If this were really about "principle" these things would have been banned years ago...and famous yippers like Berhard Langer and Vijay Singh would have had to find other means of employment.

For the most part, you're assumptions are wrong.  I wish there was more to argue, but, for some reason, stating "why" misses you. :lol:

ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#76 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 13 November 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Let's get real here.

Please.

For the most part, you're assumptions are wrong.  I wish there was more to argue, but, for some reason, stating "why" misses you. :lol:
I think his "assumptions" are quite valid. Perhaps being in denial makes it difficult for you to see that, though..... :derisive:
R7 3w stock stiff

#77 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1202

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Let's get real here.

Please.

...and for the most part I disagree with your OPINIONS.

That is why "stating why"...."misses" me. :)

I don't accept your beliefs and opinions as facts.

..and no one who is in favor of banning these putters has presented a single...GENUINE...objective fact in support of their assertions.

Edited by kellygreen, 13 November 2012 - 02:40 PM.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#78 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

• 4,369 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Let's get real here.

Please.

Which assumptions?  Seems pretty spot on to me....I'd love to hear some specific and detailed responses Pepper, rather than esoteric rhetoric...

#79 BDoubleG

BDoubleG

Tour Winner

• 846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77815
  • Ebay ID:smithfactory
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

I know I'm chiming in a bit late on this comment, but I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in anyway.

First of all, I can't stand it when people refer to "the spirit of the game". If you can go back 500 years and speak with the Scottish folk about how they envisioned it, great....if not, this is absolutely a moot point (more on this later).

My other issue is that, while I'm relatively young, and have not been around long enough to experience these constant waves of golf luddites, I have read time and time again about them. I do remember when drivers started getting larger in size (my friends and I used to refer to my TaylorMade 360Ti as "the dinner plate") used to garner criticism from people who thought it was "against the spirit of the game", and swore that they would never give in to that fad...now look at us.

I'm not saying that everyone will switch to a long putter, nor should they. I play a 34" putter, and I probably always will. However, I don't think it goes against the game in any way.

I don't mean anything personal by singling you out here, Rock Chalk, but since you did make this statement, let's take a look at your gear. Three things really stick out to me, as things that would take away from the "spirit of the game" as a long putter would:

Taylormade Rocketballz 15 deg, Matrix Ozik s - This club not only has a graphite shaft in it, which is far-removed from the hickory or even steel days of old, but it has a special slot in it, which allows it to be hit further than your average fairway wood. Yes, there are COR rules in place to prevent this from getting out of hand, but I think a true "purist" would see this as a cheap trick to gein yards you didn't earn, and wouldn't be caught dead with one. That's their decision, but, since the option is available, you chose to take it...the trade off is similar to that of a long putter: you gain forgiveness and yardage, but you'll likely lose some distance control, and with the added length, your misses will be worse misses.

Ping S56 - 2, 5-PW, x100 - When the golfers from the days of olde played, they used what were essentially the blades of today. While the S-56 is more blade-like then, say, my mp-53s, they still offer some help. While I may be a little off on my product features, as I recall, there is progressive weighting in the S-56 in order to get the ball in the air on the long irons (As I say, I'll happily correct myself if I'm wrong here). Again, there's a trade-off: this extra help gives you a wee bit more forgiveness, while probably taking away some workability. What do you think our golfing forefathers would say about this type of "help"? I can just hear it now: "ye'll no' be seen' me needen' help from me ir'ns, thank yeh' verrry much!"...definitely against the spirit of the game (note, for my mp-53s and anything more of the game-improvement variety, this applies x10)

Pro V1x - This is the one that REALLY irks me. Look at my sig...I play urethane balls as well; can't blame you, but we've come a LONG way from the feather-filled, leather-wrapped balls from the days of yore. If anything has taken away from the "spirit of the game", it's these suckers. You can stop short shots on a dime, but can still keep spin low when crushing it down the fairway. When the groove rule came into play, I just shook my head, as I thought a ball rule would make much more sense. However, it would no longer allow OEMs to sell urethane balls at $50/dozen, and the groove rule basically led to a whole slew of golfers rushing out to buy new, conforming equipment...it was basically a win-win for the industry. But, alas, there's no rule against playing these beauts, and I'll take any advantage I can get, so I'll tee them up, same as you.

Finally, I can't stress enough how I agree with the article posted here a little while ago about the contradiction of efforts like "play it forward" to grow the approachability of the game, while simultaneously thinking about banning a piece of equipment used by a lot of players at every level. Sure, you can just ban them in the pro divisions, but it will still have an immense affect on the game at large; there's a reason pro endorsements often impact sales...the public wants to play what the pros play.

At the end of it all, I just think it's silly to want to ban something because it's against some hallowed "spirit of the game", which is something anyone has really yet to define. This isn't the ERC driver we're talking about...this is something that a huge number of players are comfortable with, and changing this rule could be a detriment to their outlook of the game. In my opinion, just leave it alone and let everyone interpret their golf "spirit" as they see fit.

Edited by BDoubleG, 13 November 2012 - 04:47 PM.

910D2 9.5 - Diamana D+
RBZ Tour 4 - Oban Revenge 8
MP-Fli Hi 21 - DG S300
MP-53 4-P - DG S300
MP-T11 50.06, 54.09, SM5 60.11 K
Anser Milled 5 & Kombi-S

#80 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • 12,050 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 13 November 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Let's get real here.

Please.

..and no one who is in favor of banning these putters has presented a single...GENUINE...objective fact in support of their assertions.

Fine - we agree to disagree without insulting each others intelligence.  PS - you and others haven't presented anything to speak of that warrants not banning them... so its even.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 13 November 2012 - 07:35 PM.

ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 13 November 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

View Postkellygreen, on 13 November 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Let's get real here.

Please.

Fine - we agree to disagree without insulting each others intelligence.  PS - you and others haven't presented anything to speak of that warrants not banning them... so its even.
You see, there's the rub. The folks against a ban have been saying all along that there is no proof / evidence on either side of this issue. Believe me, the belly putter users are doing their absolute best to prove your case for you by trying to obliterate putting stats as we know them, but to date they have not. And we know that those pro- banners have been scrambling to try to find the evidence that will support their position. Neither side has succeeded here. Putting stats are pretty normal and there is still no recorded evidence that would support a ban.
Which brings us right back to square one. Why are they being banned? Because some  people in a position of power do not like them and want them gone. Unfortunately it's what this whole issue centers around. Not liking something and making it disappear.And not having the guts to admit that's the only reason they are doing it.
R7 3w stock stiff

#82 Jamboy72

Jamboy72