Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Poll Question: Banning Anchored Putters

287 replies to this topic

Poll: Banning Anchored Putters: Yes or No (421 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favor of banning anchored putters?

1. Yes (198 votes [47.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.03%

2. No (223 votes [52.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

IMO, anchoring doesn't help a person read or hit a putt. it gives and it takes away. as long as it's available to everyone, then it's not "unfair." unfair means that someone has an advantage that others cannot take advantage of. IMO, the people who are clamoring for the banning are just people who cannot figure out how to use a belly putter and stink at putting wtih a regular length putter.

and i use a 35" putter with a traditional stroke. i'll beat anyone with a belly putter who wants to go.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 ShortSticks

ShortSticks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Belly and Long putters are compromises, like everything else in golf. What you gain in stability, you give up in terms of feel. Short putts are easier, but lag putting is harder. I track my stats, and last year I used a 34" putter, and this year I used a 41" putter. I averaged the same for either one. I made more 5 footers with the belly but did not make many long ones. With my short putter I would make a bomb or two each round, but would also miss a few short ones.

Personally, I do not see a problem. It looks like a knee jerk reaction from a bunch of whiners to me, just like the groove rule.

#33 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

I think the long putter debate is a smoke screen.   I think what they're really after is to try and outlaw the grooves on putters...No...Wait!   If all golfers are allowed to chose which length putter they want, then why don't they all chose long putters?  .. No, Wait!   Ban the Short Putters...Look how good Mickelson puts with a short putter...No, Wait!  He doesn't...

p.s.  I think Yao Ming should stick to baseball, and leave the golf to us...:)
:-)

#34 pgarob

pgarob

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4237
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Too late to ban them.  It would be like banning 1 piece sticks in the NHL, or banning alluminum bats in college baseball, it makes no sense.  Just look at the strokes gained putting stat.  And sure, some long putters have won this year, but there is so much more to winning than just putting.  Webb didn't anchor his wedge in his belly when he hit that great chip at the US Open, did he?  So much more to golf and winning than a club that such a small percentage of golfers use.  Keep them in the game, and as Coach Ditka says, "STOP IT!!"

Edited by pgarob, 02 November 2012 - 02:16 PM.

Titleist 913 D2, 8.5*, D+ 62
Titleist 913 F.d, 15*, D+82
Titleist 913 H.d, 18*, D+ 102
Titleist 714 CB, 3-9, Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM4  48, 54, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport

#35 hebron1427

hebron1427

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

View Postpgarob, on 02 November 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Too late to ban them.  It would be like banning 1 piece sticks in the NHL, or banning alluminum bats in college baseball, it makes no sense.  Just look at the strokes gained putting stat.  And sure, some long putters have won this year, but there is so much more to winning than just putting.  Webb didn't anchor his wedge in his belly when he hit that great chip at the US Open, did he?  So much more to golf and winning than a club that such a small percentage of golfers use.  Keep them in the game, and as Coach Ditka says, "STOP IT!!"

aluminum bats in college baseball should absolutely be banned. that's a safety issue at this point...but, of course, way OT.

#36 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 767

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I will qualify my ban vote for professional tours and USGA sanctioned amateur events.  Reason is blatantly clear... when the long putter is anchored in the stomach or chest, it stablihzes the putting stroke.  Using a regular putter, such as mine, the user has to take greater care to maintain the same stroke.  If the hands and or arms are at all shakying even 2' putts can be missed.  Anchoring a long "heavier" putter quiets shaking contributing to a nicer pendulum stroke.  One that users of shorter normal putters such as my 34", have to work hard to maintain.

Also, I believe there will come a day when amateur golfers have to decided, either chase golf equipment similar to what tour players use, or opt to use what the rest of the mid-hi index golfers use.  They shouldn't have to change putters, or for that matter, use clubs with tour grooves.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x
SC California Monterey

#37 Titleistman1010

Titleistman1010

Tour Winner

• 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139939
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostBirdie4, on 01 November 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 01 November 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

I believe that anchoring a club against in body in a location other than your hands is in conflict with the intent and spirit of the rules of Golf.

+1
A lot of people are saying its too late to ban it but it's against the rules. It will be banned but personally I don't care how people putt.

#38 nbg352

nbg352

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 747

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostTitleistman1010, on 02 November 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

View PostBirdie4, on 01 November 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I believe that anchoring a club against in body in a location other than your hands is in conflict with the intent and spirit of the rules of Golf.

+1
A lot of people are saying its too late to ban it but it's against the rules. It will be banned but personally I don't care how people putt.
At present it is not against the rules.
Maltby KE4 9* Axe T6 R, tipped 1"
Maltby KE4 14* fairway
Callaway Tour 18* hyb. S. TM 25* hyb
Callaway RazrX 4 - A 4* flat Graph S
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#39 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1250

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm in favor of banning Dick Ruggee
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ Oban Devotion 8
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#40 indyvai

indyvai

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51121
  • Ebay ID:indyvai
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I understand and respect the "spirit of the rules" argument... but as the sport evolves and technologies advance, the rules will always be tested and stretched to the limit.  

If long putters didn't have a surge in popularity in the last few years... there would be no discussion to ban them.  Ask yourself, who actually benefits from the ban?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Kylekoz17

Kylekoz17

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204917
  • Ebay ID:Snipperdo17
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

This.  They look terrible as well.  And when people like Adam Scott go from a below average putter to an average or better because of the anchored putter, it throws a red flag.  And if it doesn't give a player an advantage, why are players like Keegan all ready to fight it to the end?  Also, players that haven't switched refuse to switch because they are conventional and think it looks bad.
Bio Cell + - D+ 72x
Nike VR Pro Ltd - Matrix Ozik 70x
Titleist 910h 19* - Matrix Ozik Altus
714 AP2 4-pw X100
Nike Method Mod 00
Nike VR Forged 51, 56

#42 glfpunk

glfpunk

Tour Winner

• 684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121448
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostKylekoz17, on 03 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

This.  They look terrible as well.  And when people like Adam Scott go from a below average putter to an average or better because of the anchored putter, it throws a red flag.  And if it doesn't give a player an advantage, why are players like Keegan all ready to fight it to the end?  Also, players that haven't switched refuse to switch because they are conventional and think it looks bad.

Why does that throw a red flag? It's just another option.  Does it throw a red flag when a guy has been using a blade putter his whole career and then switches to a gigantic mallet putter like the ghost spyder and suddenly putts better? Does it raise a red flag when a guy has been carrying 2-W his whole career and then replaces his 2-4 with hybrids and scores better? No.  They're just additional options.  Guys will try anything to help their game.  What we have not seen are a significant amount of wins on tours that can be attributed to belly and long putters.  They're just another tool in the bag that work for some and don't work for others.

#43 teeman2116

teeman2116

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42157
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Shaky hands over a nerve-wrecking 4 footer affects a short putter a lot more than an anchored putter IMO.

#44 Kylekoz17

Kylekoz17

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204917
  • Ebay ID:Snipperdo17
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postglfpunk, on 03 November 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

View PostKylekoz17, on 03 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Why does that throw a red flag? It's just another option.  Does it throw a red flag when a guy has been using a blade putter his whole career and then switches to a gigantic mallet putter like the ghost spyder and suddenly putts better? Does it raise a red flag when a guy has been carrying 2-W his whole career and then replaces his 2-4 with hybrids and scores better? No.  They're just additional options.  Guys will try anything to help their game.  What we have not seen are a significant amount of wins on tours that can be attributed to belly and long putters.  They're just another tool in the bag that work for some and don't work for others.

A mallet putter still forces the same swing type and is only stabilized by your hands and your motion.  When it's anchored you aren't worried about balance and swing (as much), just the pace.  I can see your view but in my opinion, anchored putting shouldn't be allowed.
Bio Cell + - D+ 72x
Nike VR Pro Ltd - Matrix Ozik 70x
Titleist 910h 19* - Matrix Ozik Altus
714 AP2 4-pw X100
Nike Method Mod 00
Nike VR Forged 51, 56

#45 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

The Putting Doctor

• 2,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

Wow! Lot's of spirited debate on this subject.  As to class action I think the manufacturers could likely get into this as well.  The OEM's have already scaled back long and belly putter production due to demand at retail falling through the floor recently.

Demonstrated advantage is the buzz phrase used by USGA prior to jumping on the R&A bandwagon.  The fact of the matter is as stated prior you can gag on a 3 foot putt with any putter and many tour professionals have done just that.

The golf industry and the game itself doesn't need either body to regulate such a critical area of the game that keeps many playing it.  Take away the long and belly and more will simply hang it up.  Grow the game is the catch phrase of the PGA and they should be taking a moment to chime in and vote no to this issue of a ban.

Go Play!

#46 cody0623

cody0623

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123797
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

While I must admit initially I was totally against the idea of me using a belly putter, but recently I've changed my tune as my putter has become the weakest part of my game.  It's too late to back track and attempt to ban something that has already won on the PGA tour.

Edited by cody0623, 04 November 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#47 golferlaird

golferlaird

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64154
  • Ebay ID:golferlaird
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

NOPE.  Ruling was not made soon enough to be useful.  Too little, too late..  Been around way too long to change now.

#48 lew4dtv

lew4dtv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62849
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

As long as everybody has the opprotunity to putt that way leave it alone.

#49 golf9596

golf9596

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 884
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

You still have to put the ball into that hole, I don't care what you use.......
SLDR 12* Attas 3-S
SLDR HL-16*-stock -X
Adams 19* Hybrid w/ Proforce Black-S
Under Construction
Scotty Newport Button Back..
Callaway Macdaddy2 50*/54*/58*

#50 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• 4,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9834
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

View Postdlam, on 01 November 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

R&A and USGA get ready for class action from guys on the tour that use long putters for their livihood

I'm not sure what grounds there will be for a class action lawsuit.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• 4,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9834
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postzack175, on 01 November 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

There might not be a rule against anchoring, but there is a rule against using equipment in an unusual way that it was not meant to be used in.
In practice it may or may not matter but under pressure taking your wrists out of the equation is a HUGE advantage.

I know everyone can use them right now, but the people that choose not to probably believe they would be breaking the rules of the game, and the people who use it are taking advantage of a rule loophole that was Looked over for the mercy of people with back problems so they could still play in official events, because it helped them not having to practice putting hunched over for long periods.
The competitive nature of our great game has caused some of us to take advantage of a mercy loophole
BAN THEM
Sorry for being long winded, I feel strongly about this

Anyone who feels they are breaking a non-existent rule deserves to loose, and loose big.

Players who don't putt with them, especially at the professional level, choose not to because they don't putt any better with them.  I don't use one because I don't putt better with them; in fact, I think they make it more difficult to putt.

A long putter is just another choice.  That's all.  They aren't magic.

Finally, if they are banned, they should be banned across all levels.  I think bifurcation of the rules is a mistake.  Period.

#52 THitman

THitman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96150
  • Ebay ID:Archerguy1
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

No they should not be banned, many golfers can now enjoy golf again making it easier for the average guy to play better, who cares about the what the pros do, golf should be made easier to play for average people, I will not re-new my USGA membership if this ban comes about

#53 JB lefty

JB lefty

JB

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119043
  • Ebay ID:cashdupjb
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

The longest club in your bag must be the driver or the shortest length club in your bag must be your putter.  A couple of simple rules that will solve all this fuss around belly putters and anchoring them.  I personally think they go against the core of the game and the way it was intended to be played.
Optiforce 440 Matrix Black 7M3 X flex
X2Hot 5 wood with stock shaft (cannon)
Apex Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V X flex SS1
Callaway Jaws Wedges 56,60
One spot available any ideas?
Odyssey DF550 blade putter/ Pro v 1 ball

#54 hebron1427

hebron1427

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostJB lefty, on 05 November 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

The longest club in your bag must be the driver or the shortest length club in your bag must be your putter.  A couple of simple rules that will solve all this fuss around belly putters and anchoring them.  I personally think they go against the core of the game and the way it was intended to be played.

that's an awful rule. I play my lob wedge shorter than my putter, and i'm as traditional a putter as they come.

#55 hoosiervolunteer

hoosiervolunteer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7380
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think the long/belly putters are kind of a fad.  Yes I realize they have been around for 20+ years, but EVERYONE would be using them if they were that much better.  Bottom line.

I would put with a chunk of rock on the bottom of a 5' broomstick if I could get my putts per round way down.  Everybody else would too.   I have zero problem with new ideas helping me score better.

#56 Jamboy72

Jamboy72