Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Poll Question: Banning Anchored Putters

287 replies to this topic

Poll: Banning Anchored Putters: Yes or No (421 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favor of banning anchored putters?

1. Yes (198 votes [47.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.03%

2. No (223 votes [52.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 ultra45

ultra45

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10544
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

for those who are trying to find any statistical advantage... how many times has freddy missed a short putt that mattered on sunday while left hand low with a belly putter???

honestly... when he's in contention... i like his chances from 30 feet more than 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#122 the.landshark

the.landshark

"the.landshark... cleverest species of them all" -SNL

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95923
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

In my opinion, the only connection between a golfer and their golf club should be their hands.

I don't buy the "I have back issues" (if you can swing a wedge, you can swing a putter), or the "I have the yips" (sucks to be you, come back when you figure things out) arguments either. Putting is a skill, and if you've lost that skill... I'm sorry.

(plus it looks dorky ;))
SLDR9.5 KiyoWHT75; 910F13.5 KiyoPRP85
712U 2-3; 712CB 4-6; 712 MB 7-9 DGX100
SM4 48.10 X100; SM4 53.10/59.06 DGS400
SeeMore M2+SuperStroke; Tour Preferred X
i25 14 PWR75TX; DHy 21 DiamanaD+102X
X-Proto 5,7,9 X100; TVD 55K S400; Sophia

#123 flip flappy

flip flappy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137925
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

View Postbrew4eagle, on 01 November 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

I just plain don't like watching people putt with them-  ban 'em.

I want to barf every time I see Adam Scott putt with his SC broomstick! I think he needs his man card revoked for using it!

Banning them will be tough though. We have a generation that has been putting with them since they started to play golf...USGA legal I might add. It will be tough on them, that's for sure!
On the other hand, banning them just for the professionals sounds like a good idea, but really isn't. If an amateur starts out legally putting with an anchored putter then has to switch over if he turns pro feasible?
It is damned if you do and damned if you don't!
Titleist 910 D2 10.5
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
JPX 800's
Mizuno MP T11 56 &60
Scotty Cameron  Del Mar

#124 leec4571

leec4571

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68231
  • Ebay ID:carra-us2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Who gives a SH*T as long as your having fun, its just a game.

Edited by leec4571, 22 November 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#125 Al.J

Al.J

I hate winter!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209541
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

I can't stand everyone getting all wound up over how someone putts! If they ban anchoring then why not go all in and issue a one size fits all set of 14 clubs with a standardized ball. Same equipment for everyone. Then there's no advantage to anyone. The spirit of the game is not compromised by someone anchoring a putter in there belly or against their chest. If it helps someone enjoy the GAME a little more or be able to compete a bit better then so be it! We all have different swings and issues when it comes to getting that little ball in the hole, and we all try different things to do it. So why are we trying to say you can only make one type of putting stroke? Next stop is we all have to swing the club like a machine so nobody has an advantage in length or accuracy. What a boring golf tour it would be if they all played the exact same way!

Titleist D2 8.5* Rip 70x
Titleist 910F 15* Ahina 82
Cobra 18* Baffler Pro Fujikura Stiff
Titleist 714AP2 3-P DG TI S400
Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 52*
Kombi Mid Counterbalanced  38"

#126 Zunes

Zunes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59882
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Am I wrong with the following observation?
If some posted here that they want a driver that will fix their slice, the overwhelming reply would be "spend your money on lessons, not a new driver".  But apparently if some were to post that they want a putter to fix their push, the answer would be "buy a anchor putter"?
Callaway Big Bertha Driver
Ping G30 2 Hybrid
Ping Karsten 3, 5 hybrids
Ping Karsten irons 6-SW
Scotty Select Newport 2
Callaway MD2 58, 60, 64

#127 zonadub

zonadub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24168
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

When you talk about looking "dorky", the claw grip looks dorky - will that be banned too? If you are arguing that anchored putters are not in the spirit of the game, how can the claw be in the spirit of a game that was played on ground 'mowed' by grazing sheep? The claw would have never worked under the original conditions of those who invented the game - and it looks stupid!

Those who think that a belly or broomstick prevents the yips must not have tried them, at least under stressful conditions. They are extremely easy to yip, push off line, pull, or whatever other putting ailments you may be predisposed to under competitive conditions. If you think a belly putter stays on line better because it is heavier, do you want to ban the 'Heavy Putter' brand too?

I Will vote 'no' in this poll. I have tried a belly putter, but found I could not keep putts on line. My personal preference is a standard length putter, but that is my choice.
How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

#128 Al.J

Al.J

I hate winter!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209541
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostZunes, on 24 November 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

If some posted here that they want a driver that will fix their slice, the overwhelming reply would be "spend your money on lessons, not a new driver".  But apparently if some were to post that they want a putter to fix their push, the answer would be "buy a anchor putter"?

Question your logic most people do buy drivers that help them hit the ball straighter. Different lofts, shaft flexes head styles all in the name of getting the ball in the hole in less strokes. Should be able to do the same with putters just saying
Titleist D2 8.5* Rip 70x
Titleist 910F 15* Ahina 82
Cobra 18* Baffler Pro Fujikura Stiff
Titleist 714AP2 3-P DG TI S400
Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 52*
Kombi Mid Counterbalanced  38"

#129 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1194

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

...and if someone posted here that they were consistently pushing their iron shots to the right, people would tell them to have their lie angles checked before insisting that they alter their swing.

The reason why belly putter invokes such passion is simple.  The club is designed in a way that encourages a player to employ a big-muscle, quiet-wristed, pendulum stroke.  IOW, it encourages you to use PROPER technique.

THAT is why (so often) people get better at putting when they begin to use one.   Not that it confers any sort of (imaginary) "unfair advantage".   Because, I can assure you, to people who already have this kind of putting stroke...

Not only is the belly putter NOT an advantage, it is actually a DISADVANTAGE compared to a standard length putter.   Because the additional length and resting it against the body make it harder to remain steady over the ball.
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#130 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Postkellygreen, on 26 November 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

The reason why belly putter invokes such passion is simple.  The club is designed in a way that encourages a player to employ a big-muscle, quiet-wristed, pendulum stroke.  IOW, it encourages you to use PROPER technique.

THAT is why (so often) people get better at putting when they begin to use one.   Not that it confers any sort of (imaginary) "unfair advantage".  

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  I've been using a belly putter on and off for the entire season.  I've had some good putting days with it and some poor putting days with it.  One thing I did notice is that when I switched back to a standard length putter after using a belly for a few rounds was that the first round with the standard length putter was exceptional in terms of my putting.  It's almost as though the belly putter is like a practice tool that ingrains an improved stroke much like a Medicus or a Tour Striker.

As you might expect, I voted no as I believe the entire issue is a red herring.  You still have to execute the shot and there is no statistical evidence that putting stats are better for the anchored putter user.  As others have said, there are far more pressing issues in the game.

Callaway Diablo Octane 11.5
Cobra AMP 3W; Baffler Rail F 7W
Nickent 3DX DC 23/26
Ping i25 6-PW w/TFC 189
Nike SV+ 52, 58
Seemore PTM3, 35"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#131 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1194

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postscomac2002, on 26 November 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

View Postkellygreen, on 26 November 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

THAT is why (so often) people get better at putting when they begin to use one.   Not that it confers any sort of (imaginary) "unfair advantage".  

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  I've been using a belly putter on and off for the entire season.  I've had some good putting days with it and some poor putting days with it.  One thing I did notice is that when I switched back to a standard length putter after using a belly for a few rounds was that the first round with the standard length putter was exceptional in terms of my putting.  It's almost as though the belly putter is like a practice tool that ingrains an improved stroke much like a Medicus or a Tour Striker.

As you might expect, I voted no as I believe the entire issue is a red herring.  You still have to execute the shot and there is no statistical evidence that putting stats are better for the anchored putter user.  As others have said, there are far more pressing issues in the game.

It is a red-herring.  Because all of the many "alternative grips" (left-hand low, claw, shaft against the arm, etc...) are techniques that calculated to do the same thing as the belly putter.   To quie the hands, and to encourage the body and the arms to work as a connected unit in producing a pendulum stroke.

However, to single one out for "banning"....and not address all of the other techniques that produce the same effect is INCREDIBLY arbitrary.

...and pushed by people who (as a general rule) have no experience in actually USING a belly putter, and thus having a clear (fact-based) notion of what it can and cannot do.   Rather than lashing out at its presumed "magical" powers.
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#132 nbg352

nbg352

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 804

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yes. You are wrong. Most people go out of their way to buy a game. What do you think keeps the manufacturers in business?
And.......a pushed putt might be fixed with another new face balanced 34" beauty. Will it be a Scotty, this time? Or maybe that nice, white, Ghost........Yes we buy our draws and our baby fades. But not from teaching pros.
Maltby KE4 9* Axe T6 R, tipped 1"
Maltby KE4 14* fairway
Callaway Tour 18* hyb. S. TM 25* hyb
Callaway RazrX 4 - A 4* flat Graph S
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#133 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

The Putting Doctor

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

The questions will all be answered tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.  The USGA / R&A plan a press conference/call.  Golf Channel plan to cover it live so tune in.

Will they shoot the game in the foot?  Will they ban anchoring in order to eliminate the long putter?  Will they do something to help grow the game? Will players / manufacturers sue the governing bodies in the event of a ban? What's next on their list?

We may have the answer to these questions and more early tomorrow morning.

#134 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1134

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostPuttingDoctor, on 27 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

The questions will all be answered tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.  The USGA / R&A plan a press conference/call.  Golf Channel plan to cover it live so tune in.

Will they shoot the game in the foot?  Will they ban anchoring in order to eliminate the long putter?  Will they do something to help grow the game? Will players / manufacturers sue the governing bodies in the event of a ban? What's next on their list?

We may have the answer to these questions and more early tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the info!  I have a feeling that they are going to ban them.  I bet oems are going to be very pissed off if that happens...

#135 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 523

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 19 November 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

1. Equipment and technique are inseperable.  A face-balanced mallet has a higher-MOI than a heel-shafted blade...and takes some of the challenge out of putting.

2. I "anchor" my putter to my body by maintaining a firm connection between my upper arms and my trunk...then putt by rocking my shoulders.  The SAME putting technique that a belly-putter encourages a player to use.   So...are we now going to make MY putting technique illegal?  Because I certainly use it as a means of putting more consistently and quieting my hands.

3. You cannot use a 48" putter without achoring it to your body in some fashion.  Which is why this whole argument of "its technique and not equipment" rings hollow.

The technique is not identical. You are not "anchoring" the club against your body. You are holding it in your hands, and your arms are resting against your body. I see no problem with this. To reiterate, YET AGAIN, what I would like to see banned is holding a golf club, any golf club, using anything besides your hands. If the club itself is resting against any other part of your body, that technique should be banned.  It is a golf SWING.  

If you cannot use a 48" club without anchoring, then it would not be allowed, in the rules I would propse.

Edited by Rock Chalk Jayhawk, 27 November 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#136 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 27 November 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

1. Equipment and technique are inseperable.  A face-balanced mallet has a higher-MOI than a heel-shafted blade...and takes some of the challenge out of putting.

2. I "anchor" my putter to my body by maintaining a firm connection between my upper arms and my trunk...then putt by rocking my shoulders.  The SAME putting technique that a belly-putter encourages a player to use.   So...are we now going to make MY putting technique illegal?  Because I certainly use it as a means of putting more consistently and quieting my hands.

3. You cannot use a 48" putter without achoring it to your body in some fashion.  Which is why this whole argument of "its technique and not equipment" rings hollow.

The technique is not identical. You are not "anchoring" the club against your body. You are holding it in your hands, and your arms are resting against your body. I see no problem with this. To reiterate, YET AGAIN, what I would like to see banned is holding a golf club, any golf club, using anything besides your hands. If the club itself is resting against any other part of your body, that technique should be banned.  It is a golf SWING.  

If you cannot use a 48" club without anchoring, then it would not be allowed, in the rules I would propse.

So you're okay with anchoring a body part to another body part to create stability, but not part of a club to a body part?  Doesn't that seem a little contradictory?

#137 nbg352

nbg352

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 804

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 27 November 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

The technique of anchoring the forearms to the torso is exactly the same as anchoring the putter shaft to the body. It inspires exactly the same stroke and technique, with exactly the same kind of result. Why don't you just 'fess up and admit that YOU DON"T LIKE IT and that's why you want it banned. 'cause face it, if you've never tried anchoring and you've never tried anchoring your forearrms to your body, either, so you really don't know of which you speak, especially since in anchoring the arms to the body as kelly is describing, is NOT resting the arms against the body, it IS anchoring them to the body.  Two completely different things.
Maltby KE4 9* Axe T6 R, tipped 1"
Maltby KE4 14* fairway
Callaway Tour 18* hyb. S. TM 25* hyb
Callaway RazrX 4 - A 4* flat Graph S
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#138 Jamboy72

Jamboy72