Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Garmin Approach G6

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leonmot

leonmot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70431
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I just posted this as a reply but I thought others would like to know.

Garmin Approach G6. Ok I normally don't post but here is my two cents. I have been playing for a long time and currently I am a 12 handicap, 58 years old. Clubs: Ping BECU eye2 + irons, G5 driver, 3 wood Tour Edge CB2, Tour Edge Trilogy Hybrids 3 & 4. Here was my problem. I kept thinking that I was still in my late 20’s. Back then I had a nickname of “Short Knocker” because I could only here the ball about 280-290. My friends could hit it about 290+. Heck, I was only 5’7” and 140 lbs. I would literally grunt when I hit the ball. So what’s the point? Well I went out yesterday, the first time I used the Garmin, and one of the best features of the Garmin is the ability to find and enter distances for each club. So, I did that. The course was empty so I hit three or four shots with each club. What a revelation! I am friggin’ old. My average drive is now about 240. Other clubs were equally as short. No wonder I kept coming up short! Now to actually play a couple of holes. On one hole I checked the distance to the pin, 122 yards. I looked up the club that I hit approximately that distance which is my 9 iron, average 124 yards. I hit three shots, one pin high left, the other two within three feet of the pin. WOW! I have struggled with distances for a long time, This is great!! The Garmin is easy to use too! You can go to the Green screen and pull the pin to any location on the green. Distances to hazards, etc. Many nice features too! I have owned a Golf buddy and still have a Leopold rangefinder. The G6 is da bomb!!
PS: I bought the Tour Edge Trilogy Hybrids online for about 54 bucks new and I crush them.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Funkey

Funkey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40781
  • Ebay ID:megolfen2
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

I have  been happy with mine.  I will say in addition to what you said the battery life is good as well.  I get 3  to 4 rounds out of a charge.  My old sky caddie was two rounds max.  It's a good GPS

#3 golferdc

golferdc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65083
  • Ebay ID:orfdcr
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am also greatly impressed with my Garmin G6. The screen is more readable on bright days  than any of my previous GPS units (Golf Guru and Golf Buddy). However I talked to Garmin the other day about how I might replace the internal battery when it eventually goes bad. They told me that I had to ship the unit back to them for battery replacement. This sounds to me like an expensive and long turnaround solution for a bad battery. I notice that a number of companies sell replacement batteries. My question is does anyone have instructions on battery replacement for the Garmin G6? I have seen a youtube video on replacing batteries in another Garmin product.

Edited by golferdc, 19 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#4 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

View Postgolferdc, on 19 December 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

I am also greatly impressed with my Garmin G6. The screen is more readable on bright days  than any of my previous GPS units (Golf Guru and Golf Buddy). However I talked to Garmin the other day about how I might replace the internal battery when it eventually goes bad. They told me that I had to ship the unit back to them for battery replacement. This sounds to me like an expensive and long turnaround solution for a bad battery. I notice that a number of companies sell replacement batteries. My question is does anyone have instructions on battery replacement for the Garmin G6? I have seen a youtube video on replacing batteries in another Garmin product.

This is why I like my G5 better.  It uses AA batteries instead of the rechargeable wall type.  I use rechargeable AAs and carry a second set in my bag.

#5 minteq

minteq

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I agree, the G5 was my choice.  Much easier to carry 2 extra AA batteries.

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 Proj X Black 6.0
Titleist 913FD 18deg Rip Phenom
Titleist 712U 3 TTXP95s
Titleist AP2 714 4-pw TT XP95s
Nike Method 003
Nike 52/56/60 X3X

#6 dbdors

dbdors

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139771
  • Ebay ID:dbdors
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

I have had a G6 for a few months now and have been pretty happy.  But one thing that I don't like is how it handles 9 hole courses.  I have a little 9 hole near by that is one of my favorites.  I will usually plan 18.  First 9 on the front tees and the second 9 on the back tees.  However the G6 calls it quits after the first 9.  You have to close the round and start a new round.  My work around has been to create a second player.  So I play the first 9 as player A and then plan the second 9 as Player B.  I can then record the scores 1-9 and then 1-9.

I had a sky caddie SG5 and it would start the second 9 as hole 10 and continue on as if I was play an 18 hole course.  Do miss anything else about the SG5, just wish the G6 would do the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors