Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Interesting launch numbers; your opinions?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ShortButCrooked

ShortButCrooked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82395
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hey gang,

Hoping the experts here can help me with some launch data.

Ping Anser, 8.5 loft with TFC800 in stiff
Ball speed: 150-152 (measured)
Swing speed: 102-103 (calculated)
Launch angle: 16-17 degrees
Backspin: ~1800
Angle of descent: ~37

What distance (both carry and total) should I get? The computer was registering carry of 270 and total distance of 300+. I don't believe these numbers; I get nowhere near these numbers in actual play with my current driver (more like 240 carry and 270 total). But heck, if actual numbers came out to 250 carry plus slight increase in rollout, I would be a happy camper!

The fitter indicated these numbers are very unusual; the launch angle is higher than optimal, spin is lower than optimal, but combine the two and he couldn't argue with distances.

What would happen if I went up to a 9.5 loft. Let's say launch angle increases to 17-18 degrees and I keep the spin around the same (I think I might be able to achieve that by going to Ahina shaft)?

Thanks a lot!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

A high launch with low spin is good, VERY good, but unless the LM was a Trackman or Flightscope they cant be trusted.
- Ball speed was measured, club speed was calculated, but the math took for granted that your PTR or Smashfaktor was optimized ?

Play around with Flightscopes online tool by using ball speed,  BUT, your club speed might be higher, so unless PTR truly is optimized, there is more ball speed to get.

http://www.flightsco...-optimizer.html

#3 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 783

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Means you are extremely shallow with some shaft lean. Guessing you miss with toe hooks?

#4 ShortButCrooked

ShortButCrooked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostHoward Jones, on 01 November 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

A high launch with low spin is good, VERY good, but unless the LM was a Trackman or Flightscope they cant be trusted.
- Ball speed was measured, club speed was calculated, but the math took for granted that your PTR or Smashfaktor was optimized ?

Play around with Flightscopes online tool by using ball speed,  BUT, your club speed might be higher, so unless PTR truly is optimized, there is more ball speed to get.

http://www.flightsco...-optimizer.html

Thanks Howard for the link. Very helpful.

The launch monitor was indoors, I was told the ball speed was measured and the club head speed was calculated/estimated by computer. I don't consider my swing optimal at all, so yes, it's almost a certainty that my swing speed is a bit higher and I can eke out some extra ball speed.

The flightscope model indicates around 260 or so carry based on launch numbers, so the LM was 'juiced' as I suspected.

#5 ShortButCrooked

ShortButCrooked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 01 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Means you are extremely shallow with some shaft lean. Guessing you miss with toe hooks?

I tee the ball up pretty high (half the ball above the crown of the driver), try to keep my head behind the ball through impact, and have a slight upward angle of attack. If by shaft lean, you mean the clubhead is ahead of my hands at impact, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was correct.

When I'm swinging well, I hit the ball straight or with a slight draw. My misses are usually when I hold on a bit too tight and don't release the club, which results in an open face and a push fade (ugh!). But I can also hit toe snappies at times!

The fitter and I had a good discussion. He mentioned the Ping drivers' lofts are usually understated (I've read this here on WRX also), so the 8.5 stated loft is probably closer to 10 degrees. When I looked down at the face, it sure looked like it had more loft than e.g., a Titleist 8.5 driver.

#6 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,501 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Spin is still too low which is why I'm guessing shots hit high and off the toe.  What happens when you tee it down a bit and hit it out the center of face (vertically)

#7 ShortButCrooked

ShortButCrooked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 01 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Spin is still too low which is why I'm guessing shots hit high and off the toe.  What happens when you tee it down a bit and hit it out the center of face (vertically)

Ah, I get where you're going now. Yes, when I hit it in the center of the face (vertically) or even slightly below the center, the spin numbers were higher. I recall one where I nutted it right in the center of the clubface, spin was around 2300(?). I don't recall carry yardage, but I remember being somewhat surprised that total yardage was less than when I hit it 1/4" above the center.

I get my swing speed mostly from a good turn (shoulders past 90 degrees) and very little from wrist ****, lag and release. In fact, one thing I know is I have an early release. I know this robs me of swing speed, but whenever I try to work on this, my swing goes to hell and I revert back. (Sorry for the off topic commentary.)

The data I provided was for the typical swing when I got the most distance.

#8 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,501 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

In the real world you want more carry and not knuckleballs.  Total yardage is inflated as roll is guessed.   I think if you hit it in center launch will come down and spin will go up slightly yielding more real world distance that can cover bunkers and hazards.

#9 ShortButCrooked

ShortButCrooked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 01 November 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

In the real world you want more carry and not knuckleballs.  Total yardage is inflated as roll is guessed.   I think if you hit it in center launch will come down and spin will go up slightly yielding more real world distance that can cover bunkers and hazards.

I agree with all your points. Both carry and total yardage is inflated. I prefer to hit the ball high and have more carry. In fact, because I've always been a low spin player, I've never hit the ball 'too high'.

Other than working on hitting the middle of the club face more (which I'm getting better at), it sounds like trying it in a 9.5 loft is a good idea. The flightscope model also agrees with this (at least as far as carry distance is concerned).

#10 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,501 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

A 9.5 if you tee it lower and level out angle of attack will work well.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 ShortButCrooked

ShortButCrooked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 01 November 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

A 9.5 if you tee it lower and level out angle of attack will work well.

Thanks a lot. My gut instinct tells me this is right for me.

#12 GooseHook

GooseHook

Do you not?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1966

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I'm no fitter, but I think a little more spin at that ballspeed wouldn't hurt you very much.

Edited by GooseHook, 02 November 2012 - 06:29 PM.

SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR Rescue 19, hM3 Black Tie
SLDR Rescue 24, Speeder 9.8 HB
JPX 825 Pro/ MP- T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

#13 Eatoner27

Eatoner27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209821
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

If you were fit indoor and not by FS or trackman launch monitors you need to see a club fitter. Those #,s do not equate.  1800 is way to low. 2100-2400 is fine.  Hit this with a club fitter outdoors and if he gets the same read out you are the first exception to the equation.  Best of luck.

#14 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,501 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostEatoner27, on 03 November 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

If you were fit indoor and not by FS or trackman launch monitors you need to see a club fitter. Those #,s do not equate.  1800 is way to low. 2100-2400 is fine.  Hit this with a club fitter outdoors and if he gets the same read out you are the first exception to the equation.  Best of luck.
I average about 1400-1800 and launch it around 13-14.  I see it quite often with good players. Numbers are more than believable and not as rare as you think.  New drivers are so low spin that shallow guys in the 98-108 mph clubhead speed range need a lot of loft to get the spin they need.

#15 ShortButCrooked

ShortButCrooked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thanks again guys.

GooseHook, yep, I can use a bit more spin. I think going with a higher loft driver is the ticket.

I was fit indoors at GolfSmith and I know the distances are juiced a bit. But I believe the launch numbers. I've always been a low spin player. A friend of mine also hit balls on the same LM with the same club as me and he was getting launch numbers of 14 degrees with 3,000+ spin, which is about right (he is always trying to reduce spin).

#16 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 03 November 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

View PostEatoner27, on 03 November 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

I average about 1400-1800 and launch it around 13-14.  I see it quite often with good players. Numbers are more than believable and not as rare as you think.  New drivers are so low spin that shallow guys in the 98-108 mph clubhead speed range need a lot of loft to get the spin they need.

yea, doesnt Bubba have like 16-17 launch angle and spin sub 2000 or something like that

Edited by Redjeep83, 04 November 2012 - 09:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors