Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Putter hand stamping on face?? help please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wolsey

Wolsey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88954
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Hi, I have done metal hand stamping before but how do the experts do it on the face? What do you use the secure the putter? How do you prevent damage to the back of the club etc?

Are there any jigs that people make up or use  or is it a case of using a wooden vice?

Cheers in advance

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

for stamping the face, i usually dont even vice it. put it on a wooden bench and make sure the stamp doesn't chatter. that's about all you need to do. do it on wood so you don't damage the bumpers.

this all assumes that you have a flat backed putter. if it's a mallet, you may need to vice it.

here's byron morgan stamping an unviced putter.

#3 Wolsey

Wolsey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88954
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Cheers, Does the wood not absorb the impact?

#4 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
GolfWRX Likes : 1423

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

I've stamped many putters on the face.  All have been Anser or Anser 2 style putters.  I don't use a vise.  I do it in my basement on the concrete floor.  I lay a towel down on the floor, then lay the putter down face up.  I put books under the grip the side of the putter to raise the grip/shaft so the face is perfectly level (I actuall use a level on the face to make sure it is true).  Then I lay a towel over the shaft and lay a 10 pound dumbell over it so the putter is secure.  Then I stamp away.  Because the blows are going straight down, the putter doesn't jump around.  I also use double sided tape to secure the stamp when I start.

This works for me but my advice comes with no guarantees!

#5 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Wolsey, on 04 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

Cheers, Does the wood not absorb the impact?

one would think, but that hasn't been my experience. like 502, i use double-sided tape and put downward pressure on the stamp with my left hand (holding the stamp) so it doesn't chatter. hit it 3-4 times with a heavy hammer and then look to see what kind of damage i did. i've always been wary of doing it on a harder surface because i once bought a C&L putter that someone had tried to hand stamp, and it had marks on the bumpers from a vice or something.

like 502, most of whta i've done has been on wedges or on anser-style putters (i.e., flat back). i can imagine you'd need to take a little different step if it's a mallet or #9 or 8802 or whatnot.

here's my writeup on wedge stamping: http://thepowerfade....2011/01/17/634/

note: i'm better at this now that i've done it a few times...

Edited by hebron1427, 05 November 2012 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors