Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

bought the Mizuno JPX-825 Pro .. initial impression

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TNReb

TNReb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206233
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've been tossing around the idea of buying these irons.  I've been playing the MP-59 but have been looking for something a little more forgiving.  

A quick background on me if it helps put things in context:

I've been playing for about 16-17 years.  For the past 5, I've played about 3 times a month.  I rarely practiced.  I just went and played.  I would generally shoot 76-82.  My best round during that time was 2 under and my bad rounds would be mid 80's.  

Two and a half months ago we moved.  We bought a house on a golf course, and I've been playing tons more.  I'm actually practicing and TRYING to get better.  I work from home, so I have the privilege of being able to run to the driving range during my lunch break (private course, so unlimited range balls).  I can also squeeze in 9 holes after work (until the time changes!).  My last 3 rounds have been 73, 80, 76.  I made 6 birdies one day and still shot 1 over par.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have the ability to play good, but inconsistency is hurting me.

My ball-striking isn't horrible, it's just inconsistent.  I wanted to see if something like the JPX-825 Pro's would give me a little more forgiveness.

Today I hit them on the driving range for about 30 minutes.  I hit every iron in the bag, changing clubs after every shot.  I immediately liked them.  They still have that GREAT Mizuno feel.  While they aren't going to magically make the ball go straight if you put a bad swing on it, they were providing a more consistent distance on mis-hits.  

After that session I had to go back to work.  After work, I went back to play 9.  Our course is always empty, so I had time to hit a lot of extra shots.

I won't bore you with every detail, but my findings were:
  • Distances were about 1 club longer than my MP-59.  The lofts are stronger by 1 degree in every club except the PW, so I expected them to be a little different.  Since my set is 4-GW, this doesn't really bother me.  The number on the bottom of the club doesn't matter to me.  I will just treat it as a 3-PW.
  • Distance was still good on mis-hits.  Clubs were very forgiving.  I mis-hit a 6 iron on a 192 yard par 3 and was still pin high (missed the green to the right).
  • They did a better job of helping me get the ball out of the rough than my MP-59.  Our course has some fairly tight holes with thick bermuda rough.  I hit some really good shots out of there.  Definitely a confidence booster.
  • Less spin on shots from the rough than my MP-59 with mid irons.  Although the ball came out easier, it had a lot less spin.  A well hit 7 iron would still hit and bounce 15 ft.  This will take some adjusting, and is the only thing I'm not crazy about so far.  With the MP-59, I could still stick a shot from the rough - although I didn't hit them flush as often.
  • The long irons are MUCH easier to hit and much longer than my MP-59.  I picked a flat hole and hit a few 4 irons.  My 4 iron distance with the MP-59 was 200-205.  I was flying it 215 with the JPX with a very penetrating ball flight that sat easily.  That's a big difference for only 1 degree loft difference between the two sets.  Again, I'll just treat the set as 3-PW instead of 4-GW.
  • I did not lose any accuracy/control in the short irons.  Shots from 120-150 still performed great.  The distance was easy to control and the ball still stopped on a dime.
  • Workability -  I didn't lose much switching to these irons.  I was still able to shape the ball whichever way I tried (as good as I could with the MP-59 anyway).

Overall, I'm very pleased with this set.  I still have the MP-59, but I think I'll be playing the JPX 825 Pros for a long while.  Especially through the winter.  If anyone is on the fence about this, I would highly recommend giving them a shot.  I had the JPX 800 Pro when they first came out, and didn't care for them in the long run.  The JPX 825 Pro fit my eye a lot better and I'm in love with them.. at least for now.  :)

Edited by TNReb, 31 October 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 dunn

dunn

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Really liked the 59 and like you said 825 is a big improvement

I went other way...... Gamed mp68's for a bit and gonna order mp69 here real quick

I just have a hard time with bigger heads and more importantly the bigger soles........ They don't go through turf as good and I start doing funny things in my swing. Wit bigger heads......

If you want to get better and since you have time....... Get some lessons and devote some time to practicing........ Not just hitting balls but a routine well planned out practice  sessions......... This will help your game and ballstriking better than any club........ You will miss the feel of 59's after
a bit though..... That's what always gets me is once you have had a feel it's hard to go other way... Lol

#3 TNReb

TNReb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

I feel like the JPX 825 Pro go through the turf very well.  My divot sections on the driving range looks identical to the MP-59.  I couldn't tell any difference.

If anyone is seriously interested in these and is currently playing an MP set, go to Golfsmith or somewhere if you can and look at the clubs side-by-side.  You may be surprised at the 825 Pro.  They are nothing like some of the other game improvement clubs out there.  They don't look anything like the MX 300 and some of those things Mizuno has made.

#4 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 599

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

Nice review very well written and complete. I was looking at the MP 64 and the 825 side by side and was suprised at how similar they looked from the players position. Much nicer that the 800's with a thinner top line and more compact looking head. You need not mentionwhat shafts you have in both sets, where they the same?
Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#5 TNReb

TNReb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

I have Dynamic Gold S300 in both sets.

#6 sneff

sneff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6427
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostTNReb, on 31 October 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

I've been tossing around the idea of buying these irons.  I've been playing the MP-59 but have been looking for something a little more forgiving.  

A quick background on me if it helps put things in context:

I've been playing for about 16-17 years.  For the past 5, I've played about 3 times a month.  I rarely practiced.  I just went and played.  I would generally shoot 76-82.  My best round during that time was 2 under and my bad rounds would be mid 80's.  

Two and a half months ago we moved.  We bought a house on a golf course, and I've been playing tons more.  I'm actually practicing and TRYING to get better.  I work from home, so I have the privilege of being able to run to the driving range during my lunch break (private course, so unlimited range balls).  I can also squeeze in 9 holes after work (until the time changes!).  My last 3 rounds have been 73, 80, 76.  I made 6 birdies one day and still shot 1 over par.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have the ability to play good, but inconsistency is hurting me.

My ball-striking isn't horrible, it's just inconsistent.  I wanted to see if something like the JPX-825 Pro's would give me a little more forgiveness.

Today I hit them on the driving range for about 30 minutes.  I hit every iron in the bag, changing clubs after every shot.  I immediately liked them.  They still have that GREAT Mizuno feel.  While they aren't going to magically make the ball go straight if you put a bad swing on it, they were providing a more consistent distance on mis-hits.  

After that session I had to go back to work.  After work, I went back to play 9.  Our course is always empty, so I had time to hit a lot of extra shots.

I won't bore you with every detail, but my findings were:
  • Distances were about 1 club longer than my MP-59.  The lofts are stronger by 1 degree in every club except the PW, so I expected them to be a little different.  Since my set is 4-GW, this doesn't really bother me.  The number on the bottom of the club doesn't matter to me.  I will just treat it as a 3-PW.
  • Distance was still good on mis-hits.  Clubs were very forgiving.  I mis-hit a 6 iron on a 192 yard par 3 and was still pin high (missed the green to the right).
  • They did a better job of helping me get the ball out of the rough than my MP-59.  Our course has some fairly tight holes with thick bermuda rough.  I hit some really good shots out of there.  Definitely a confidence booster.
  • Less spin on shots from the rough than my MP-59 with mid irons.  Although the ball came out easier, it had a lot less spin.  A well hit 7 iron would still hit and bounce 15 ft.  This will take some adjusting, and is the only thing I'm not crazy about so far.  With the MP-59, I could still stick a shot from the rough - although I didn't hit them flush as often.
  • The long irons are MUCH easier to hit and much longer than my MP-59.  I picked a flat hole and hit a few 4 irons.  My 4 iron distance with the MP-59 was 200-205.  I was flying it 215 with the JPX with a very penetrating ball flight that sat easily.  That's a big difference for only 1 degree loft difference between the two sets.  Again, I'll just treat the set as 3-PW instead of 4-GW.
  • I did not lose any accuracy/control in the short irons.  Shots from 120-150 still performed great.  The distance was easy to control and the ball still stopped on a dime.
  • Workability -  I didn't lose much switching to these irons.  I was still able to shape the ball whichever way I tried (as good as I could with the MP-59 anyway).

Overall, I'm very pleased with this set.  I still have the MP-59, but I think I'll be playing the JPX 825 Pros for a long while.  Especially through the winter.  If anyone is on the fence about this, I would highly recommend giving them a shot.  I had the JPX 800 Pro when they first came out, and didn't care for them in the long run.  The JPX 825 Pro fit my eye a lot better and I'm in love with them.. at least for now.  :)

Curious....I play the 800 pros and get along well with them. What didnt you like about the 800s and how are the 825 pros better?? I have considered the switch but wonder if its worth the $400-500

Edited by sneff, 01 November 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#7 TNReb

TNReb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Postsneff, on 01 November 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Curious....I play the 800 pros and get along well with them. What didnt you like about the 800s and how are the 825 pros better?? I have considered the switch but wonder if its worth the $400-500

I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost of upgrading.  I bought my 800's used, and wound up being able to sell them for the same I paid for them.  So it didn't cost me anything to try them.

The 825's are slightly better looking at address.  The top line is slightly thinner.  To me, the look of the club matters a lot.  My 800's were 3-PW.  They were very long compared to my previous irons.  I didn't like that I had such a big gap between my PW and my 52* Vokey.

The 825's I got are 4-GW.  They are longer than my others, but having the GW fills in the "gap" on the lower end.  I might still be playing the 800's if I had got 4-GW in those.

My personal opinion is that if you like the 800's, save your $400-500.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors