Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Law Suit brewing? It figures

Belly long putter usga R&A

178 replies to this topic

#1 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 873

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

The world is entirely too litigious.

http://golfweek.com/...usga-anchoring/

Edited by BrianL99, 31 October 2012 - 10:09 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 729

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

I think that they are going to have a long row to hoe (the players).  I don't think Bradley or Els or even all of them in a class action suit would have the deep enough pockets to go through with it.  How many years with Ping??  It might not even get that far if it is thrown out at the first Judge.  I can see the precedent of the USGA and R&A being the established Ruling bodies on how the game is played (wasn't that agreed upon with the groove issue?) being a problem for the players.  Also, the players aren't prevented from playing or competing.  A Judge could look at it and ask them if they can prove they can't play with a different method of putting and when they can't prove that, they might be done.

Regardless, it will get interesting.  Obviously, the USGA and R&A have told the players more than what is being reported.  Why the secrecy?  Someone must have a near verbatim account of the discussion.  Heck these guys can find out all the names of Tiger's indiscretions and yet they can't give us the lowdown on this!!
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#3 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 3,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

They should be working WITH the players, not making their rule changes in a vacuum.  Which is what this appears to be.

#4 isaacbm

isaacbm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76094
  • Handicap:+2-3
GolfWRX Likes : 722

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

I still don't understand this whole deal.  It can't be scientifically proven that using the long putter makes a person a better putter.  the grooves you can prove with spin test results. The drivers you can prove with core testing and dispersion pattern testing.  There's a level of science that can be used to prove that those technologies make a the game easier.  How can it be proved that the long putter makes the game easier?

Everyone of the pros I personally know have tried it at one point or another and less than 10 percent of them switched to the long putter.  Most of them simply don't like the feel of it.  I personally can't use them because I putt much, much worse with them.  It not like the other tech that's out there.

No one in their right mind would be playing tournament golf with a persimmon driver because it would be costing them 25 yards ( or what ever the distance is...)   A long putter on the other hand has been around since the 70's and there are still very few players using this "incredible cheating technology."

Something doesn't add up...

#5 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I wish someone would sue them over out of bounds being a penalty of stroke and distance. Just make it like a hazard.

#6 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,690 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

View Postisaacbm, on 31 October 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

I still don't understand this whole deal.  It can't be scientifically proven that using the long putter makes a person a better putter.  the grooves you can prove with spin test results. The drivers you can prove with core testing and dispersion pattern testing.  There's a level of science that can be used to prove that those technologies make a the game easier.  How can it be proved that the long putter makes the game easier?

Everyone of the pros I personally know have tried it at one point or another and less than 10 percent of them switched to the long putter.  Most of them simply don't like the feel of it.  I personally can't use them because I putt much, much worse with them.  It not like the other tech that's out there.

No one in their right mind would be playing tournament golf with a persimmon driver because it would be costing them 25 yards ( or what ever the distance is...)   A long putter on the other hand has been around since the 70's and there are still very few players using this "incredible cheating technology."

Something doesn't add up...
It doesn't have to add up.  What we have here is two Ruling Bodies (one more than the other) being run by an older generation who is totally against belly and long putters with no other justification other than they don't like it.  They can use all sort of arguments, but it comes down to that they don't like it and are going to do something about it.  Before anyone comes at me for the older generation thing, I'm one of them (over 50).  However, I can see past my nose and realize that the things that people see as "traditional" or "not the way it was intended" are only being viewed from one point of view.  Any change that happens is different but if it is done long enough it becomes traditional and accepted.  If the R&A and USGA were able to step aside and look at this issue 50 years from now (if they were to do nothing), I'm sure that belly and long putting would be as traditional as wearing Plus Fours is now.  

Every generation bitches and moans about something and times change and we all move on.  I'm sure Old Tom Morris spun in his grave when they allowed players to compete in something other than a tweed jacket.  I'm sure Bobby Jones had a fit when they allowed steel shafted clubs to be used instead of hickory.  This one they aren't going to let go and it really only comes down to small group of people who are going to try and exert their ideals on the rest of us because THEY DON'T LIKE IT.

#7 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 873

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Just my opinion, but I think the governing bodies have the right to do whatever they wish, regardless of whether it makes the "sport" harder or easier.

Baseball has changed their "Strike Zone", numerous times.    They've changed the "official ball" over the years.

Basketball changes rules all the time. or at least interprets their rules, apparently at whim, sometimes.

NASCAR has new rules every day.

I don't see what golf should be different.  If it's not in keeping with the ruling bodies' vision of the game, change the rules.  Then again, I thought they should have been able to ban Casey Martin.

This will be interesting, but not half as funny as when some dwarf sues the NBA to allow him to use a lower basket.

#8 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,690 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

They can change what they like, that is their prerogative.  Just don't try and stand there and say it's not traditional or the way it was intended.  Have some balls and just say we don't like it and we are going to change it, the rest of you be damned.  Right now they are trying to smooth it over with the players first by giving them "the old soft shoe" and it's not working.

I sure want to see which sap they throw out there onto the dais to deliver the official message or will they chicken out and just issue a written communique to the media.

Edit: clarity of rant

Edited by Socrates, 31 October 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#9 596

Get in, buckle up and hold on !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

My only thought on this is that the belly putters have been in use for nearly 50 years.  Why are we so upset about it now?  I'd think use for 50 years makes it pretty much a tradition.  Everyone has the option of using one, use it if you like it, don't use it if you don't like it, duh!!

btw - Over the past 2 years I've been using a belly putter.  About 2 months ago I changed, just to see, back to a 35" Ping putter and my putting average did NOT change one way or the other.   I fact, I'm probably making more birdies and lipping out more putts with the short putter.  The belly putter was easy to 2 putt.  The short putter results in alot more tap ins and getting closer to the hole with the first putt.  I still average about 29-30 putts per round.

#10 tElihu

tElihu

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87680
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 31 October 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Just my opinion, but I think the governing bodies have the right to do whatever they wish, regardless of whether it makes the "sport" harder or easier.

Baseball has changed their "Strike Zone", numerous times. They've changed the "official ball" over the years.

Basketball changes rules all the time. or at least interprets their rules, apparently at whim, sometimes.

NASCAR has new rules every day.

I don't see what golf should be different.  If it's not in keeping with the ruling bodies' vision of the game, change the rules.  Then again, I thought they should have been able to ban Casey Martin.

This will be interesting, but not half as funny as when some dwarf sues the NBA to allow him to use a lower basket.

Golf should be different because it IS different. Golf to those other sports is apples to oranges.

MLB, NBA and NASCAR rule changes do not affect how the general public plays the game. MLB introducing a new ball or changing the strike zone will have no effect on your little league game, recreational baseball league, etc...  NBA rule changes have NO effect on the college, hs, junior high, rec. league or playground games.  NASCAR rules directly impact no one but the group of people directly competing in the oval.

Golf is completely different. When you change a USGA rule it ripples through the entire sport: through country clubs, through junior tournaments, high school matches, etc.. It affects the local retailer and the local golf course pro shop.

If MLB says you cannot use a certain bat, only MLB players are covered by the rule. If the USGA says you cannot use a certain club, the blanket covers a LOT more people.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 475

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

The R&A and USGA rule by consent, not decree.  We could see a bifurcation in the rules, because the tour could opt out of this ruling, and allow continued use by tour players.  The spirit of the game is a floating definition at best, and a ban based on appearance is weak.

#12 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 31 October 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

I wish someone would sue them over out of bounds being a penalty of stroke and distance. Just make it like a hazard.

YES!!!! even Jack agrees with this
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#13 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Two gloves is next on the USGA's list.  If you win a tournament and there is something different about you they will ban it.

#14 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1309

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

I wish the players would have been this fired up about the groove rule.  The difference is that didn't cost them anything.

For players that can't survive without the belly, this could be the end of their career.  The ruling bodies would have had a better chance if it didn't look like a reaction to players winning majors with anchored putters.

I actually hope the USGA and R&A get sued into oblivion so those arrogant guys will realize the effect of some of their idiotic rulings.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9°w/ GD P9003 TX
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13° w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17° w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54°M and 60°M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#15 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,690 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

View Postfarmer, on 31 October 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

The R&A and USGA rule by consent, not decree.  We could see a bifurcation in the rules, because the tour could opt out of this ruling, and allow continued use by tour players.  The spirit of the game is a floating definition at best, and a ban based on appearance is weak.
I think you have that backwards:  They currently rule by decree not consensus.

#16 shankapotamus

shankapotamus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49567
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

I really don't think they will outlaw the long putter.  You will still be able to have a long putter, but you cannot achor it to your body

#17 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 1220

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

C'mon USGA

I have 3 sweet long putters now and can't go back, investment in time and dollars is too high

Ping Japan Craz-E G2i
Yes Natalie
Scotty Big Sur S long adjustable

The #1 fact is simply that lots of folks cannot putt well with a Belly or Long putter style ... why not ban the short putters then?   I believe LONG helps me on short putts but it is harder from off the green and on putts outside 30 feet ,,. so it is a wash

The argument is that it violates the game is absurd, we have anchoring putters going back a long ways (chest, arm, leg etc), we have long and belly putters going back a long long ways (100 yrs I believe)

Chest anchoring was done on tour in the 70's

No one can convince me that if the rules allow upper arm/wrist/forearm anchoring and don't allow not sternum or belly anchoring  ... that this would be fair
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Rapture V2 4w 17*, 660TR Kamo X
Ping G25h 20* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping s55 5-PW. Aldila Tour Proto 125 X
TVD M sm2 53* & 59*,  64.07 sm2
WITB Link

#18 Tarkata

Tarkata

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181780
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

I dont think you should be able to anchor the actual club to your body. That is my view point, and while I think the USGA should quickly resolve this issue, I see no issue with weekend warriors using them.

But then, i also think they should make the golf balls more consistent with traditional distances, so I am like some commie, I know.

Edited by Tarkata, 31 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

Mizuno MP630 FT 10.5*
TM 300 Series 15*
Hogan Apex II 3-PW (1983)
Mizuno MP-R Blk Ni 52* & 56*
Odyssey White Hot XG 2

#19 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostTarkata, on 31 October 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

I dont think you should be able to anchor the actual club to your body. That is my view point, and while I think the USGA should quickly resolve this issue, I see no issue with weekend warriors using them.

But then, i also think they should make the golf balls more consistent with traditional distances, so I am like some commie, I know.

What was your opinion on the belly/long putters 2 years ago? Oh yeah, you didnt care.

This is all a reaction to people winning with them which makes the USGA look stupid. I hope they lose their a** on the lawsuits.

#20 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostCARDY, on 31 October 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

The argument is that it violates the game is absurd, we have anchoring putters going back a long ways (chest, arm, leg etc), we have long and belly putters going back a long long ways (100 yrs I believe)

Chest anchoring was done on tour in the 70's

so the usga shouldn't change because certain things were done for so long. ??really we'd still be smoking on airplanes or the nfl would still allow hits to the head. things change for the better whether its sooner or later.

i have still yet to hear an arguement comparing anchoring to anything other than titanium drivers or hybrids. anchoring alters the stroke, steadies the nerves, takes some feel out of the stroke. this is why i wouldn't be surprised to see the long putter be allowed but anchoring be banned. its not the putter, its the way it attaches to the body. you really think i should be able to strap into rocco mediate's v-harness every time i tee off? anchoring is the problem, not the length that is the problem. just because the usga has failed to ban for so long doesn't mean they shouldn't still make things right.

Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Jamboy72

Jamboy72