Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Bandon as a single?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Seattle_Maslow

Seattle_Maslow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89594
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

So my much-planned Arizona trip is screwed up because my friend got stuck in Hurricane Sandy travel hell. As I'm in Seattle, i'm considering driving to Bandon instead (somehow 8 hours of driving to Bandon seems less insane than flying to Arizona...maybe?) Anyway, has anyone else ever played there as a single? Experience good/bad? This would be my 4th trip there, but first since 2003, so Trails/Preserve would be new to me...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1357

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

It was my understanding when researching a possible solo trip of my own that, at least during prime season (I was looking into a September trip) a solo traveler will almost certainly be playing with other groups rather than playing alone. I was assured that the whole process works fine for solo visitors.

#3 Seattle_Maslow

Seattle_Maslow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thanks. They did tell me I'd be paired with other groups for sure. I was just more curious if they cater much to singles. Pinehurst, for example, did a great job of this. Bandon's a bit tougher to get to, so I'm just wondering how single-friendly the whole experience would be.

#4 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

I played as a single several years ago. What put with a group of three people. None of us knew each other but it was a great experience. I was impressed with every aspect of my trip, even the other three people I was with. Something about the place seems to do that to you.

#5 vintage golfer

vintage golfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150981
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Got to agree with the previous post. These folks seem to deliver in every area, and I can't think of any reason they would fall down in terms of accomodating a single traveler. Let us know as I am about an eight hour drive and also have more flexibility than my usual partners.

#6 Seattle_Maslow

Seattle_Maslow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

The trip is booked. I head down tomorrow afternoon. They were out of single rooms, but gave me a break on price for a double room (one rep told me $170 yesterday, but today it was $190...snooze you lose). Over three nights and with the discounted golf it ends up being about $135 more than staying offsite--and they don't pre-charge my card, etc. Fingers crossed on the weather. Looks like it may be OK.

Here's the plan:

Friday: Bandon Dunes/Old mac
Sat: Trails/Bandon Dunes
Sun: Pac Dunes/Pac Dunes

#7 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Have a wonderful round.

#8 mallrat

mallrat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I go as a single every year and it's great. Eat when you want and spend as much time golfing on the range as you desire.

Got hooked up with some great groups too.

#9 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

8 hour drive?  You need to drive a little faster :)  Even driving the speed limit the whole way, you should make it in 7 hours easily unless you take 101.  

Of course I see I'm a day late with my advice, but if you drove from Seattle to Roseburg (my hometown) and cut over to Bandon on Highway 42, you're looking at 6.5-7 hours.

#10 Seattle_Maslow

Seattle_Maslow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thanks. I went 5 to 38 to 101 and did it in 6:40. It looks like going 42 is way longer...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 cooper13

cooper13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202257
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

How was the trip?  I've gone as a single and it was awesome.

#12 Seattle_Maslow

Seattle_Maslow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

As everyone suggested, the trip was amazing. We had rain for 18.5 holes of golf (18th on Bandon and most of Old Mac) on Friday afternoon, but otherwise, weather was great. Saturday was overcast and about 62, Sunday started sunny and 65ish and ended in a heavy blanket of fog. Luckily my playing partner had a caddy to point us in the right direction, but it was literally aiming 20 feet in front of the box and hoping. For some reason, I played the best in these conditions, with a 39 on the back at Pac Dunes, birdieing the 18th to go home really happy. The wind was far less of a factor than it was during my summer visits 10 years ago, so this was a decent time of year to go. I hurt my  back (torn rhomboid, found that out yesterday) on Saturday, but kept chugging through, so it was a grind, but the experience was too good to pack it in and go home.

I got paired with some really great folks and ended up playing multiple rounds with the same people. I wouldn't hesitate to go again as a single. As for the courses, I still love Pac Dunes the most, then it's really close between Bandon Dunes and Trails. Trails is just a lot of fun with some great risk/reward decisions (drove the green on 8, then 3 putted for par, argh).

This is such an amazing place, I feel really lucky to be within (albeit long) driving distance.

#13 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostSeattle_Maslow, on 03 November 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Thanks. I went 5 to 38 to 101 and did it in 6:40. It looks like going 42 is way longer...

Not if you have a good road map ;)

#14 Chris_NH

Chris_NH

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96549
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Glad to hear that your trip was a success.

I thought Bandon Trails was closed for a while?  I'm going at the end of March and I was told that it will be re-opening shortly before my visit.  Has it re-opened way early, or has it not closed yet?

#15 njlam

njlam

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36975
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostSeattle_Maslow, on 10 November 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

As for the courses, I still love Pac Dunes the most, then it's really close between Bandon Dunes and Trails. Trails is just a lot of fun with some great risk/reward decisions (drove the green on 8, then 3 putted for par, argh).

Where do you rank Old Mac? It is my 2nd favorite after Bandon....

Did you play the new Preserve? Played it twice last weekend, the more wind, the more fun....

Driver: Ping Rapture 12 deg w/Diamana BB
Woods: Ping G25/Sonartec GS Tour
Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-Hi 24 deg w/KBS Tour
Irons: Ping i3+ 5-W w/Z-Z65
Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/S400
Putter: Ping Anser 2 WRX

#16 Seattle_Maslow

Seattle_Maslow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

View Postnjlam, on 21 November 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

View PostSeattle_Maslow, on 10 November 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

As for the courses, I still love Pac Dunes the most, then it's really close between Bandon Dunes and Trails. Trails is just a lot of fun with some great risk/reward decisions (drove the green on 8, then 3 putted for par, argh).

Where do you rank Old Mac? It is my 2nd favorite after Bandon....

Did you play the new Preserve? Played it twice last weekend, the more wind, the more fun....

I rank Old Mac fourth. Didn't play preserve. I might change my vote after playing old Mac again, but it didn't leap out to me like the others did

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors