Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TESTER REVIEW: Ping Anser Driver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 webber

webber

Webber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7667
  • Ebay ID:tywebber
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was lucky enough to be selected to test and review the new Anser driver from Ping.  As a longtime Ping player I was excited to try the new product.  After a few back and forths with Ping's inside rep I was set up for a launch monitor fitting at the Golf Mart in Dublin, CA (My golf ball was used in the fitting for accuracy).  After trying many shafts and combos I was able to settle on the Diamana ahina 70 S at 9.5 loft set to the - loft setting.  The club was built to 45.25" and a D3 swingweight.  Once the club was received by me I was able to get back on the launch monitor to validate that the numbers were good for launch and spin.  Following that I was able to hit the club many times at the driving range and on the course before this review.

Look: 4 1/2 Stars.  Ping really nailed it here with the looks.  I can't say enough about how sleek the matte black finish looks as well as the black sole and face.  Ping has stated that they were not going to jump on the adjustable club bandwagon until they could do it right.  Unlike other bulky adapters the sleeve on the shaft tip is sleek and un-bulky. You really cannot even tell that it is an adapter.  The only small thing I would change is to add just slightly more bulge and roll to the face.  

Performance:  5 Stars. As you can see by the launch numbers I averaged 12* of launch and 2366 rpm's of spin.  Pretty hard to argue with those numbers.   The 38* descent angle means ample roll out.  Almost a 270 carry with 292 or overall distance.  In the less loft setting I eliminate the left side of the golf course a bit more.  As validated on the launch monitor by setting the club up in the less loft setting the launch drops about 0.5* and the spin goes down about 400 rpm's on average.  Distance goes up about 7 yards.  Perfect.  It really is a benefit to be able to have adjustability.  The launch monitor proves it when you see the changes in launch/spin/distance by performing a simple tweak.

Feel:  4 Stars. The feel is very crisp.  I would have to associate feel with sound and this club has great sound.  Not too muted but not too tingy.  I think the shaft has a ton to do with feel as well.  The ahina can to some feel a bit boardy and thus lacking feel.  I would suggest some of the other stock shaft offerings if you are sensitive to feel because the club does feel crisp.

Overall: 4.1/2 Stars.  This club is a winner.  Looks good, performs good, and is adjustable.  Great stock shaft offerings as well.  I would like to see more adjustability other than three settings of +/- 0.5*.  In my case I don't need more adjustability but others may.  I highly recommend this new driver from Ping.

[attachment=1403531:Ping Anser Fitting Numbers.JPG]
[attachment=1403533:Ping Anser Bottom.JPG]
[attachment=1403537:Ping Anser Top.JPG]
[attachment=1403535:Ping Anser Face.JPG]
[attachment=1403539:Ping Anser Shaft.JPG]

SLDR 9.5 Speeder 6.3 TS X
XHot2 Pro 15 Aldila Tour Green 75 X
XHot2 Pro 20 Aldila Tour Green 75 X
Taylormade CB KBS Tour X
Mack Daddy 2 56C, 60U
Odyssey WHP #1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ram01002

ram01002

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Great review!

#3 pingeye

pingeye

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2532
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the review. I think I have narrowed the Anser down as my driver for next year. I've hit the 9.5 with ahina in doors and it feels great. My swing speed is close to yours. I need to find a fitter in the Atlanta area with a trackman to confirm before I order.
What driver were you hitting previously?
Ping G25 9.5
Ping G20 3W
Ping I20 Hybrid 20
Ping I20 4-W
Ping TourS 52, 56 and XG 60 Lob
SC Select Newport 2

#4 webber

webber

Webber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7667
  • Ebay ID:tywebber
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Ping i20 with a Kaili,  I got the launch the same but spin down about 600 rpms.

Edited by webber, 05 November 2012 - 04:15 PM.

SLDR 9.5 Speeder 6.3 TS X
XHot2 Pro 15 Aldila Tour Green 75 X
XHot2 Pro 20 Aldila Tour Green 75 X
Taylormade CB KBS Tour X
Mack Daddy 2 56C, 60U
Odyssey WHP #1

#5 Scratch2Plus

Scratch2Plus

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41626
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

so the anser was about 600 rpm less then the i20 with same launch?

Epon 153 ~ Diamana Stinger 60s
Yamaha IFF 4wd ~ Stock Speeder
Nike MM Proto ~ Aerotech i95
CF Vokey ~ Fuji MCI 120
Bettinardi Tour Stock DASS BB8 Proto

#6 JJS1978

JJS1978

JJS1978

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84902
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

I played my new Anser for the first time yesterday and loved it. I actually liked the TFC shaft too. I was planning on putting a RIP in it based on the fact that I have used the RIP for a while and have played well with it. I am going to use the TFC shaft and see how it goes before I change anything with it.

#7 indygolfman

indygolfman

Close the distance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85183
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Great review, I'm discovering the same thing recently.  Even in relation to the i20, I had about the same results: approx 600 rpms less.

In fact, here's my review where you can see the numbers:  http://www.golfwrx.c...ith-lm-numbers/

Edited by indygolfman, 11 November 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro - Fuji Pro 73TS
Ping G25 15* - Rombax 8Z08
Cally Razr Fit 18* - Rombax 8Z08
TM MC 3-PW - DG
White Hot #1
Callaway X-Forged 54/58 - DG

#8 metrybill

metrybill

metrybill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24718
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

After demo'ing a LOT of drivers with different shafts from all the name manufacturers, I chose to bag the Anser 10.5* with Fujikura red Blur S shaft.  If you struggle with excess spin and little run, this combo of head and shaft may very well help you.  I have picked up several  yards of carry on my best shots and now my ball runs for even more yards;  (This club is plenty long.)  This is very forgiving on off-center hits as well.  This could be a game changer and is definitely worth a try.  Snaps and excessive hooks are gone, too.  Caveat: this one is difficult to work - straight, slight draws and cuts or rights.  You may need more loft when you give this one a try as the club produces a very boring flight. The adjustability is limited (1/2 * more or less loft and the same for face angle) but sufficient for a better player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors