Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

College Decision

Golf College Choice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PRIDGEGOLFER2011

PRIDGEGOLFER2011

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103858
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Here we go,

Basically I have been emailing coaches, sending resumes, videos, ETC, since about August so that I could go play golf somewhere in the spring, and I have received plenty of replies from NCAA D1, D2, and NAIA schools. I have narrowed it down to 3 options and just wanted to put this out there and get some opinions, see what yall's thoughts are.

UT-Arlington, Arlington, TX NCAA D1- I have gotten along well with the coach, and I like what he has to say that he can do for me, etc. Only problem is there is an NCAA rule called the delayed enrollment rule which means I use up a year of my eligiblity so instead of playing in the spring and then 3 more years I only have 2 years left. That is my one problem with UTA.

Doane College, Crete, NE- NAIA- Once again the Coach and I have gotten along great, he has been very helpful. I would have full eligibility here, so I would not have lost any time. I would probably be one of the top 2 guys on the team judging from their scores in tournaments this fall.  

Boise State University, Boise, ID NCAA DI- I have not spoken to this Coach on the phone yet because he has been traveling with the team, they are in Kiawah Island, SC right now. I am interested to see what he has to say. Once again and I am not 100% sure but I think the DE Rule still applies here since it is also DI.

I am visiting Doane in 2 weeks and visiting UT-Arlington in 3 weeks. So after that it probably will be easier for me to make a decision but for the meantime I just wanted to see what everyone thought. After college I would have aspirations of playing professionally. I know that with the game I have now and with hard work for the next 3-4 years it would be something I would have a real chance at. Thanks for your input in advance everyone!

Taylormade R1 (Motore Speeder X Flex)
Taylormade R11S (RIP Phenom X)
Titleist 909H 17* (Proforce V2 100X)
Titleist 714 CB/MB (TTDG TI X100)
Vokey 47,51,55,59 (TTDG TI S400)
Odyssey 2 Ball White steel w/SS

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148219
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

As cliche as it sounds, my uncle always tells me in situations like these to flip a coin. If you end up being slightly elated or disappointed at the result, well, there's your answer right there. Your subconscious knows which choice is right!
Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

#3 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 893

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostHattori Hanzo, on 30 October 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

As cliche as it sounds, my uncle always tells me in situations like these to flip a coin. If you end up being slightly elated or disappointed at the result, well, there's your answer right there. Your subconscious knows which choice is right!

That's hilarious.  I like it.

Good luck, I bet you will be able to flip the coin and get the correct answer after your visits.
Ping i25 9.5 PWR 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Titleist Lightweight, Tour 330B, Ecco
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin

#4 lhsgolfer2

lhsgolfer2

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8397
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

It's good to have options. I think you'll have a better idea after visiting the schools, seeing the campus', the facilities, the coach, and hopefully meeting some of the other players.

Think about what you want academically as well, if the school offers the degree you're interested in. To play college golf for four years only to graduate with a degree in something your not interested in is a huge waste of time, money, and effort.

Also, when considering where to play college golf, climate is something to take into consideration. Remember, you're at school mid august - early may. Which one of these has the best weather to allow you play and practice? I know many schools in the north have wonderful indoor facilities, but i've yet to use an indoor facility that was as good as a real course.

Lastly, think seriously about financial aid at each school. There is something to be said for graduating college with minimal debt. If a school is willing to give more aid than another, you'd be basically choosing to pay to play at the other school.

Most importantly, make it a point to be happy. After everything is said and done, you want to look back at your college days and have no regrets about your selection. For most people, those four years are some of the most fun of their life, and you generally get one shot.

Good luck, and keep it in the short grass.

#5 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1194

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

SELF-KNOWLEDGE is always critical in situations like this.  If you don't know what you want, and you don't know where you're going, then it really doesn't matter what you choose.

IF YOU DO know what you want, and have a clear idea of where you are going...the choice becomes much easier and more reliaible.

The big question is do you want a choice that will let you get the most out of playing collegiate golf?  Or a choice that will best prepare you for a run at playing the tours?

If the collegiate golf experience is foremost in your mind, then I would tend towards the school where you feel the most comfortable, and where you are most likely to get the most playing time.

If getting your game ready for the tours is foremost, then I would probably look at the school in Texas...provided you liek the school and the coach/program. Even though you would have one less year of competition, you'd be in an environment where you can play and practice year round....and when you do become eligible to compete, the weather will allow for a longer season and more tournaments than schools farther north.   The reason why Sun Belt schools always dominate the national stage where warm-weather sports are concerned.

The great thing about professional golf is that it is a COMPLETE meritocracy.  If you can shoot the scores, you can earn your way onto the Tour no matter where you played or how much or how little you played in college.   Unlike professional team sports you don't have to worry about your school having a high enough profile, or you getting enough playing time to catch the attention of scouts so that you can get drafted.

Edited by kellygreen, 15 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#6 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

#1  Base your golfing decision on what school gives you the best chance to train you into a pro level golfer.  You can go to any old school and play golf.

#2  Realize that the odds of you making it as a pro golfer  are slim so choose your school on the basis of which one will graduate you as an employable individual. There are countless college grads that basically wasted their time getting a useless degree.

Yeah, yeah I’ve heard it all before.  Go to college with no plan just get the prerequisites out of the way.  And Billy Bob and Mikey both made it as pro golfers and they couldn’t even golf.  Yeah, yeah I’ve heard it all before.

#7 dgould91

dgould91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120694
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

love the flipping the coin idea

Also tagged with Golf, College, Choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic