Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Need GPS Device..please help on which model

35 replies to this topic

#1 odshot68

odshot68

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have been using a Bushnell 1500 with slope for over 5 years and like it.  I am going to begin playing tournament golf next season and my device is illegal (even though I can shut the slope feature off) and don't want to be accused of cheating.  The two downfalls I have with it is: I don't know the exact distance to the front and back of the green from my ball ( green contours would be a huge plus on the approach shot) and the exact distance to the front and back edge of a hazard.  The third is when I have a blind shot I don't know the distance to the pin (this I knew prior to my purchasing my Bushnell).  I need a reliable device that is going to work.  The major concern is not knowing exact distance I would have to the pin.  I need to be able to trust the distance as well.  Perks would be a stat feature built in, but not necessary.  My buddy has the Bushnell hybrid but I wasn't impressed with the GPS feature of it.  What do you recommend, or is there something new I should wait for?

Titleist 915D2 8.5 D+ 70 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd D+ 80 Stiff
Titleist 915h 18 D+ 100 Stiff
TM MC 4-PW C-Taper Stiff (2 deg strong)
Titleist TVD M-grind, 50/56/60 DG TIS400
2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback Select

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 714

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

SC SGX or Golfbuddy Platinum

#3 wrmiller

wrmiller

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

+1 on the SGX. I also have a laser, but have not used in years. Once SC started adding driving range yardages, the laser started collecting serious dust.
Some people speak when they have
something to say. Others speak because
they have to say something.

#4 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

I would like to here some answers on this.  :golfer:
Ping Driver G25 - 9.5
Callaway XHot fairway woods
Titleist 710 AP1 irons - 6 to GW
Titleist Vokey wedges SM5 56s & 60m
Callaway HEX Chrome Yellow
Rife Mid Mallet 400 w/ SuperStroke 3.0

#5 leonmot

leonmot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70431
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Garmin Approach G6. Ok I normally don't post but here is my two cents. I have been playing for a long time and currently I am a 12 handicap, 58 years old. Clubs: Ping BECU eye2 + irons, G5 driver, 3 wood Tour Edge CB2, Tour Edge Trilogy Hybrids 3 & 4. Here was my problem. I kept thinking that I was still in my late 20’s. Back then I had a nickname of “Short Knocker” because I could only here the ball about 280-290. My friends could hit it about 290+. Heck, I was only 5’7” and 140 lbs. I would literally grunt when I hit the ball. So what’s the point? Well I went out yesterday, the first time I used the Garmin, and one of the best features of the Garmin is the ability to find and enter distances for each club. So, I did that. The course was empty so I hit three or four shots with each club. What a revelation! I am friggin’ old. My average drive is now about 240. Other clubs were equally as short. No wonder I kept coming up short! Now to actually play a couple of holes. On one hole I checked the distance to the pin, 122 yards. I looked up the club that I hit approximately that distance which is my 9 iron, average 124 yards. I hit three shots, one pin high left, the other two within three feet of the pin. WOW! I have struggled with distances for a long time, This is great!! The Garmin is easy to use too! You can go to the Green screen and pull the pin to any location on the green. Distances to hazards, etc. Many nice features too! I have owned a Golf buddy and still have a Leopold rangefinder. The G6 is da bomb!!
PS: I bought the Tour Edge Trilogy Hybrids online for about 54 bucks new and I crush them.

#6 golfjuice

golfjuice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56751

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

View Postodshot68, on 28 October 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I have been using a Bushnell 1500 with slope for over 5 years and like it.  I am going to begin playing tournament golf next season and my device is illegal (even though I can shut the slope feature off) and don't want to be accused of cheating.  The two downfalls I have with it is: I don't know the exact distance to the front and back of the green from my ball ( green contours would be a huge plus on the approach shot) and the exact distance to the front and back edge of a hazard.  The third is when I have a blind shot I don't know the distance to the pin (this I knew prior to my purchasing my Bushnell).  I need a reliable device that is going to work.  The major concern is not knowing exact distance I would have to the pin.  I need to be able to trust the distance as well.  Perks would be a stat feature built in, but not necessary.  My buddy has the Bushnell hybrid but I wasn't impressed with the GPS feature of it.  What do you recommend, or is there something new I should wait for?

what did you not like about the hybrid's gps? Mine works great. Still trips me out to have the best of both worlds with GPS and laser.

#7 sompin2do

sompin2do

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96225
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Another vote for the SGX.

Bought a laser with my tournament winnings and enjoy using both.  With the SGX I like being able to quickly view a list of distances to various points without having to scan with the laser.

With the laser I like knowing the exact distance to the pin.

Both have their place but if I had to give one up it would be the laser since it doesn't display the layout of a hole.

#8 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

skycaddie sgx all the way. saves me shots every round. just knowing the right distance to bunkers, tree lines, pins, front of green and back makes the price worth it. really cool device and worth the money

#9 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Still using a upro. I may be looking to change. Anyone using the "watch" type?
G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20* & K15 23* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#10 ProjectX

ProjectX

Fore Aces Golf Club Board Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50236
  • Ebay ID:SlanginT1s
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

I pay $20 for an entire year with the golf logix app on my phone. I will put it up against any golf specific device and from a return on investment perspective it 100% cannot be beat. Skycaddy SGX is $350. I would get 17 years out of my golf logix app to equal the money spent on an SGX. Not to mention you are 100% going to get rid of the Skycaddy long before that 17 years is up and upgrade to the next thing while GolfLogix is always updating their system/software and updated your phone for free. If you purchase of golf specific GPS device you may as well go to the bank get $300 in cash and throw it in the fire place.

Speedline Classic 10.5* Fubuki Tour 83X
Jet Speed Tour Issue 16* Blueboard 93X
Z U45 18* KBS Tour X
ZTX-2 3-P KBS Tour X
588 Custom RTG 54 & 60 KBS Tour X
Metal X #7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 iH83Putting

iH83Putting

Whiskey Tango Fox!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94591
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I have a SkyCaddie SG3.5 and a Motorola MotoActv.  I hate that you have to buy or mark your own courses with SkyCaddie.  Motoactv's courses are free and you can map your own online and then download at no charge.
Driver: Ping I20 9.5*, VTS Silver 7x
FW: TaylorMade R11 15*, Tour AD QT
Driving Iron: TayorMade RBZ 3i
Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-Pw
Wedge: Vokey Forged 52*&56*,SM4 60
Putter: Odyssey WHP #9

#12 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

First do not use a phone app as this would get you DQed from the tournament.

Fot tournament use, especially if you are going to play courses you have never or infrequently play, the Skycaddie SGX or SGXw would be your best bet. You will get the most complete information in the way of yardages to hazards, traps, landmarks, and target landing areas. Also if you go with the SGXw, you get PinPoint where you can enter the pin locations if they supply you with a pin sheet.

Edited by TM_HOYER, 17 November 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#13 buriedlie

buriedlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4776

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Can someone recommend a good GPS for a senior? My father is 70, 20 handicap, not very techy, and has trouble seeing small text. Is there anything out there that will be very simple to use that has an easy to view screen? I doubt he needs much more than to know the distance to the middle of the green. The watch seemed simple to use, but I think it would be difficult for him to see.

He mainly plays 1 course in the US and plays several different ones in Ireland. He also has a Mac if that is relevant and does not have a smartphone.

Thanks for your help

#14 Hakko

Hakko

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142691
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

View Postburiedlie, on 29 November 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Can someone recommend a good GPS for a senior? My father is 70, 20 handicap, not very techy, and has trouble seeing small text. Is there anything out there that will be very simple to use that has an easy to view screen? I doubt he needs much more than to know the distance to the middle of the green. The watch seemed simple to use, but I think it would be difficult for him to see.

He mainly plays 1 course in the US and plays several different ones in Ireland. He also has a Mac if that is relevant and does not have a smartphone.

Thanks for your help

I have a Garmin S3. I'm 49 and had lasik about 5 years ago, and now have real trouble with small print, especially in dim light. I have no problems reading the display on the S3 without readers.

I know that the Garmin has GB & I courses available, but I don't know if you can have them and the US courses on the unit at the same time.
Adams Super LS 9.5*, UST VTS Tour 6.2 S
Ping i20 15*, UST VTS Tour S
Titleist 910h 19*, Diamana Kai'li S
Ping i20 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Seemore M2, 36"
Scor 51*, 55*, 59*, KBS Genius 120g

#15 PZero

PZero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1305

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for your help

Skycaddie SG5 might be a good fit for him. My dad has one and has no issues with seeing any of the print or using it.

R11S 10.5 Whiteboad 63S
TEE XCG7 15
TM R9 19
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey 50, TVD 56
Studio Select Newport

#16 Andy L

Andy L

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for your help

Given your dad isn't a techie, you're best off getting him something that already has all the courses pre-loaded so he doesn't have to sync it up on a computer ahead of time. The Garmin G6 has them all loaded, but font size may be an issue for hazards.  There is also the Golf Buddy World line.  Also as another poster suggested the Garmin S1 or S3 watch are highly rated and easy to read.  I just don't know if the watch can support both US and global courses without updating.  Whatever you buy, get it someplace where he can exchange it.

#17 spuds

spuds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39779

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

View PostHakko, on 30 November 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Can someone recommend a good GPS for a senior? My father is 70, 20 handicap, not very techy, and has trouble seeing small text.

I have a Garmin S3. I'm 49 and had lasik about 5 years ago, and now have real trouble with small print, especially in dim light. I have no problems reading the display on the S3 without readers.

I'm 50, nearsighted, and wear contacts for golf, rather than my progressive eyeglasses.  I can't read the text on DH's Garmin S3 and still use an old Golflogix 7 unit, but don't recommend it for a non-tech person due to the course downloading.  Would love to find a current offering like the Golflogix that has large text and distances to hazards and courses preloaded - something like the Bushnell Neo+, Izzo Swami, various watches, etc., but with hazards as well (I always forget to check for water....)

Michelle

#18 Hakko

Hakko

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142691
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

View Postspuds, on 30 November 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

View PostHakko, on 30 November 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Can someone recommend a good GPS for a senior? My father is 70, 20 handicap, not very techy, and has trouble seeing small text.

I'm 50, nearsighted, and wear contacts for golf, rather than my progressive eyeglasses.  I can't read the text on DH's Garmin S3 and still use an old Golflogix 7 unit, but don't recommend it for a non-tech person due to the course downloading.  Would love to find a current offering like the Golflogix that has large text and distances to hazards and courses preloaded - something like the Bushnell Neo+, Izzo Swami, various watches, etc., but with hazards as well (I always forget to check for water....)

Michelle

So I'm guessing your contacts correct for distance vision at the expense of close-in vision. If you wanted to try another watch, you might want to take a look at the Bushnell offering; the text looks a bit bigger and bolder than the Garmin. Courses are preloaded, but I don't know if they have hazard info.
Adams Super LS 9.5*, UST VTS Tour 6.2 S
Ping i20 15*, UST VTS Tour S
Titleist 910h 19*, Diamana Kai'li S
Ping i20 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Seemore M2, 36"
Scor 51*, 55*, 59*, KBS Genius 120g

#19 rbrb

rbrb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70075
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for your help

Golf Buddy Voice--it talks to you. Front, middle, and back. No hazard info though. Great reviews here on WRX.

#20 avgjoe

avgjoe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

forget watches.  golfbuddy voice... push the button and it tells you the yardarge.  literally.  it speaks.  no downloading, but no hazards either

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Truman

Truman

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119361
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Skycaddie SG5.  Simple and the best battery life of their recent models.

#22 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostCwing, on 16 November 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

Still using a upro. I may be looking to change. Anyone using the "watch" type?

I am.  I had the Garmin S1 but replaced it with a Motoactv Golf watch.  There was nothing wrong with the S1 - I just wanted more information like hazards and such which I get with the Moto.  Of course, now they have the Garmin S3 which would work too.  I'm a watch wearing when I play golf so this style GPS works great for me.  The Motoactv has software issues which haven't been fixed like scoring and downloading courses but I've been able to live with it.
Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
Miura Small Blades 3 - PW, 51 & 55
SC Square Back Select
Swift X & Ping Moonlite bags
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#23 mwmgolfx

mwmgolfx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294277
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostProjectX, on 17 November 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I pay $20 for an entire year with the golf logix app on my phone. I will put it up against any golf specific device and from a return on investment perspective it 100% cannot be beat. Skycaddy SGX is $350. I would get 17 years out of my golf logix app to equal the money spent on an SGX. Not to mention you are 100% going to get rid of the Skycaddy long before that 17 years is up and upgrade to the next thing while GolfLogix is always updating their system/software and updated your phone for free. If you purchase of golf specific GPS device you may as well go to the bank get $300 in cash and throw it in the fire place.

But you didn't read his basic requirement.  Must be legal for tournament usage.  And the GolfLogix is NOT!  No phone app is.  End of discussion.  I'm not saying the Golf Logix app isn't a great deal, but you can't use it for tournament play unless you want to be DQ'd.

#24 odshot68

odshot68

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

OP here.  Update, so I sold my Bushnell 1500 with slope.  I picked up a Leupold GX-3i.  I decided I need the exact distance to the pin and needed something legal.
Titleist 915D2 8.5 D+ 70 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd D+ 80 Stiff
Titleist 915h 18 D+ 100 Stiff
TM MC 4-PW C-Taper Stiff (2 deg strong)
Titleist TVD M-grind, 50/56/60 DG TIS400
2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback Select

#25 player12

player12

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94241
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostAndy L, on 30 November 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Thanks for your help

Given your dad isn't a techie, you're best off getting him something that already has all the courses pre-loaded so he doesn't have to sync it up on a computer ahead of time. The Garmin G6 has them all loaded, but font size may be an issue for hazards.  There is also the Golf Buddy World line.  Also as another poster suggested the Garmin S1 or S3 watch are highly rated and easy to read.  I just don't know if the watch can support both US and global courses without updating.  Whatever you buy, get it someplace where he can exchange it.
what about the Garmon G5..golfsmith has them for 179 right now

#26 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

SGX or Golf Buddy!
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#27 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

View Postodshot68, on 04 December 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

OP here.  Update, so I sold my Bushnell 1500 with slope.  I picked up a Leupold GX-3i.  I decided I need the exact distance to the pin and needed something legal.

How do the 2 compare, mainly on aquisition of flags?  I'm wanting to do the same, my 1500 with slope is gettting pretty old and the smaller leupold looks sweet, would not want it to function less than the 1500.

#28 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

View Postsheppy335, on 17 December 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

SGX or Golf Buddy!

Good question. Looking forward to a few responses.
Ping Driver G25 - 9.5
Callaway XHot fairway woods
Titleist 710 AP1 irons - 6 to GW
Titleist Vokey wedges SM5 56s & 60m
Callaway HEX Chrome Yellow
Rife Mid Mallet 400 w/ SuperStroke 3.0

#29 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Golfbuddy has no annual fee.  Wife likes hers, I use the bushnell 1500, glance at the GPS when I can get a clear shot at the flag and to make sure the laser hit the pin.

#30 OPIE98LMB

OPIE98LMB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152481
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I've used the skycaddie 2.5 for the past 3 years and have never had a problem with it.....ever.....I love the intelligreen feature also that gives you exact distance f/m/b depending on where you are on the course (if you are 30 yards to the right down a hill the green rotates to match where you are at)...I can always get 2 rounds out of the battery life on it and really the only downfalls are the $40 annual fee and having to download the courses to the skycaddie....In reality though it does hold 20 courses on it so really the only time you have to load new courses are if you go on vacation or play out of state etc ( most people probably play the same 10-15 courses in their area) and the subscription fee that everyone cries about is the price of a dozen balls, come on people give me a break....for the ease of use and accuracy of the unit, it is worth it....

Edited by OPIE98LMB, 17 December 2012 - 08:44 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors