Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist Prototype Testing

70 replies to this topic

#61 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1795

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostMatty T, on 12 November 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

Kadin 25 I liked your review and the layout of it. If you dont mind I am going to use your's as a templet. If it is a problem please let me know and I will remove it.

Player: Handicap Index: 10

Driver Club Head Speed: 110-112 mph

Conditions: Sunny Temperature: 75* Wind: 20 MPH and Gusty

Course Conditions: Dry

Fairways: Soft and tightly mown

Greens: Firm (12 on the stimp)

My Ball:  Titleist Prov1X
Prototype: Titleist Pro V1

Drivers, Fairway Woods and Hybrids

Distance: I like the prototype off of the the Driver and the 3W. Softer sound and seemed like it spun less than recent Prov1 balls. To the eye it spun about the same as my current Prov1X. On a side note I couldn't get either one of my balls to balloon on higher shots into the wind, both mine and the Prototype ball continued to bore through the wind.

Forgiveness: Didn't notice anything over my current ball.

Feel: The prototype did feel softer.

Sound: Was noticeably quieter.

Long and Mid Irons

Distance: Same as my Prov1x

Feel: I didnt notice much difference in feel.

Sound: Was quieter.

Spin: Wasn't able to get a good feel for the spin with my long irons due to the wind and hitting so many low shots.

Forgiveness: Nothing noticeable over my current Prov1X

Short Irons and Wedges : Was holding greens very well, but couldnt get the ball to spin back (can do it well with my current Prov1x). On short wedge shots inside of 20yds the Prototype seemed like it didnt want to one hop stop quite as much as my Prov1X.

Putter :Rolled very nicely just like my current ball.

My conclusion:
The prototype was a good ball, the durability was better compared to my current model. The spin off of the Driver and woods and around the green was down partially, I think due to a firmer cover trying to satisfy thos who are displeased with the current wear rate.
I did like the sound of the new ball alot!
Over all I think  I will be sticking with my current Prov1X. I am going to do some more testing on another day when there isn't so much wind.
Feel free...lol I am glad you like the format. Can't believe the proto wouldn't spin for you around the greens. As you read in my review I felt that was the strong point of the ball next to cutting through wind.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Matty T

Matty T

Keen to give it a pump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193348
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:mtheobald-us
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Ya i thought it was strange too. Seemed like it wanted to run out a little more than what I am used to.
Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

#63 highdraw69

highdraw69

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22243
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

in the other topic here on the titleist test balls (i tested the black numbers), i posted a review, and noted it was a great wind ball, seemed to hold a very tight spiral into and through crosswinds; performance was very similar on typical full shots, but on the hard hit, low checker shot the ball runs out significantly -- it does NOT stop like we're accustomed to seeing on a prov1; i'm willing to adjust to the surprising runout on that low checker shot however to gain the distance performance off the driver and in windy conditions

#64 Matty T

Matty T

Keen to give it a pump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193348
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:mtheobald-us
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

View Posthighdraw69, on 12 November 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

in the other topic here on the titleist test balls (i tested the black numbers), i posted a review, and noted it was a great wind ball, seemed to hold a very tight spiral into and through crosswinds; performance was very similar on typical full shots, but on the hard hit, low checker shot the ball runs out significantly -- it does NOT stop like we're accustomed to seeing on a prov1; i'm willing to adjust to the surprising runout on that low checker shot however to gain the distance performance off the driver and in windy conditions

That into the wind shot with the Prov1 prototype ball was probably the most impressive thing to me about that ball
Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

#65 Mirage

Mirage

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29291
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Index 7.2, 102 driver ss, weather low 70s and 10-15 knot winds in northern Virginia this Monday.

Played one of the prototype ProV1x balls for nine holes at Army/Navy Fairfax in the afternoon.  Found it much like the current model, about which I like nearly everything except its durability.  My sand and lob wedges are non-conforming Vokeys, and even a three-quarter lob wedge on Red number 3 to an uphill green about 60 yards away gilled the ball noticeably.  The ball drives beautifully, seemed slightly longer, but I'm still settling in to my new driver so it's entirely possible that it's more than the ball.  

I'm afraid that I'm either going to have to change wedges (which I don't really want to do) or go back to my former favorite ball, the Srixon XV, which flights a little lower but has good greenside spin and none of the durability issues of the ProV1x.

#66 home0006

home0006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202019
  • Ebay ID:drury23gaborik10
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

I got these balls, I was really impressed with them as well.  One thing I noticed was how much better the cover durability was.  I had a wedge shot that normally would have shredded that face up, and it was still in usable shape afterwards.  Was great off the tee, and I really enjoyed playing them with my irons on the green.  Biggest thing for me is the price point these are at.  If Titleist were competitive with Taylormade and their buy 2 get 1 free, I'd switch over in a heartbeat to these.  However I don't see enough differences between pro level balls as a recreational golfer to justify switching from the Penta as long as they still run that deal.
Ping G25 12
Ping G25 5 Wood
Ping G20 20, 23 hybrid
TaylorMade Rocketbladez Tour 5-PW
Callaway MD2 52, 56, 60
Edel 009

#67 pdaero

pdaero

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

I haven't tried mine yet except for putting, and am going to test these (new X). Looking forward to comparing them to the current model!
TI TMAG R510TP 9* w/ MFS 65
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
PING Anser Milled 0 34"
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400

#68 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

I got a sleeve of these a while back as well.. Still playing them too!

They are more durable, the Black number version which is more than likely the ProV1.

They hold their line in the wind better, and I find that it spins less with my driver and 3 wood.

I do think I get more spin with the mid/short irons, and definately more spin with the wedges. I find that it's roughly the same to slightly less distance with the irons due to the spin, but a flatter trajectory. Could be the fact that I haven't played much lately, and the weather is getting cooler. Who knows.

I like it around the greens. Checks very hard for me on my greens. Short and long pitches. Spins like a top from the bunkers, almost too much spin!

It putts great though. Really nice feeling ball to putt with.

I think it's an improvement, if anything in the lower driver spin, and the more durable cover. I also like the spin, but it will take some time to be comfortable with it I think.

#69 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70369
  • Ebay ID:goswo
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Only really measurable difference for me was the absolute improvement in soft feel off the putter with the black numbered test ball.

Best of both worlds --- ball I've loved for years with distance improvements with the feel off the putter of the old Tour Balata ball.

Love it!
Titleist 913D3 8.5* Fuel proto 65X                 Titleist 913Fd 15* Fuel 70X                 Titleist 712U 2 DG S-300                 Crazy ltd MB 3-PW DG Pro S-300                 Vokey Forged 52* & TVD BV 58* DGTI                 Newport TeI3 sole stamp                 WITB Link

#70 tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer

Major Winner

• 1,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116652
  • Handicap:4.3
GolfWRX Likes : 243

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I am going to have trouble completing my comparison given the weather and poor likelihood to play two balls anytime soon.  However, I found one in the bushes the other day and used it for about 8 holes.  On one hole I spun the crap out of it and it actually cost me a shot as it spun down the hill and I missed the putt coming back.  Had it not spun so much I would have had a good chance at birdie within 6-8 feet.  It was about 55 degrees and I was surprised to get that much spin, but it did impress my playing partner.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 Hollywood1565

Hollywood1565

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139943
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Does anyone have the URL for the black ones my mom went and threw it away for some reason thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors